2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 10:23 AM by Snotnose RSS

I suffer major lag.  Here are my network stats

Snotnose

Running 12 mbps down and 1 up.  Speedtest.net shows I'm getting what I paid for.  ping google.com -n 100 shows an average 26 ms ping, which IMHO is pretty good.

Those of you who don't suffer lag so bad, what's your network stats?

• Re: I suffer major lag.  Here are my network stats

The ping measurement doesn't mean squat. What matters is your bandwidth, and that of the host. For games both upload and download speeds matter. Download notifies you where other players are. Upload notifies other players where you are. Both are happening all the time. There are plenty of web sites around that you can use to perform a speed/throughput test. I've just tried out ZDNET.com and got a rating of 13.6 Mbps. I have a cable plan rated at 20Mbps download and 5Mbps upload, and 95% of the time I am the host for MW3 games. If you have ADSL then that's the problem. The other thing is to make sure you only connect to games where the connection ping time is less than 100ms (i.e. the first two searches for a lobby).

• Re: I suffer major lag.  Here are my network stats
      Snotnose

Ping means a lot more than bandwidth, assuming you have decent bandwidth.  MW3 isn't sending much data back and forth, unless your on dial-up you have plenty of bandwidth.

Trust me, if I could limit my connections to < 100ms I would.  I even asked IW to give me that option, if the ping is > 100ms don't bother putting me in the game cuz I'm just gonna quit in a minute or so anyway.