38 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2013 5:01 PM by KoRny1 RSS

The last latency discussion you will need...

warzh311ion

Look, all of you people out there wanting to "increase your ping", this is senceless. I want to go over why we have issues in the first place:

1: Not all Internet providers are equal. Some Internet providers have crap when it comes to line stability. 

2: Your ping on speedtest.net means nothing to your online gaming experience. All of you who come on here and say "I have a 5ms pin" have not a clue as to how things work. The ping to a server on speedtest is not the same as the ping you get from the host on the game.

3: People manipulating their network when they don't have a clue just causes issues when others join them. You are making the experience worse for others who join have to have you as host during a match.

4: No matter what you do, you will never have a perfect connection, so stop trying. You will either have an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your distance and path to the host. It is very rare that everyone in a lobby is on equal ground.

• Re: The last latency discussion you will need...
    trialstardragon

Simple yet true words but ones that a very large portion of the community will never believe because yt tells them otherwise.

wookie101

Totally agree. Whilst I got alot of helpful information from my post "Unfair Probation" the fact of the matter is that I had the correct settings to start with. Its the service providers who are either enabling you or disadvantaging you.

Here in NZ one company has a monopoly on Internet and it took Govt intervention for the company to share the internet - I kid not! However, they still priorotise internet speed, data and traffic to commercial businesses. The rest of it is percentaged to the 'humble consumer' whose internet quality will be determined by the amount of 'humble consumers' online at once...this is when most of us are on line.

Its all unfortunate luck for some of us.

PerEverto13

Wise words. I fear they will fall on deaf ears....

TacoFlavordKeesez

I agree on all points.

What works for me is to play during prime time, and jump lobbies until I find a good one. Also, I refuse to suffer through games where I am host, and cannot land a hit marker. I'll leave as gracefully as possible or swtich to my camper class.

Gremlin04

Agree with everything you just said. I'm new to these forums but have been playing Cod for far too long. Sometimes I have great games and sometimes I have bad. I take the rough with the smooth. It is not my internet. It is the match making, i.e whoever I am pinging to as host. I just get on with it when it is a bad host for me. I wish people would just stop trying to create things that don't exist or fix things that don't need fixing. It's a game. Just play and have fun.

sneed867

its too hard to just "play and have fun" when i can go 99-26 (yes, that was real) or go negative within 2-3 games.

too much inconsistancy with bad connections. if they cannot get dedicated servers anytime soon, i see the CoD franchise slowly failing just like WoW and D3, but for different reasons.

if you dont think people can have the same advantages/disadvantages as everybody else every game, go play BF3. if we the same internet, id say it would be a fair fight. online gaming shouldnt take away somebodys amazing internet and gimp them because some 14 year old might be at a disadvantge beacuse his parents dont spend more for faster internet.

if you want amazing connection while playing online games...PAY FOR IT. thats how it should be. there is no reason to have "hosts" change game after game after game. i play with 6 friends when i play CoD. within 10 games, we could have 10 different hosts and have full red bar lobby to half and half to full green. this makes for a terrible online experience.

BF3 has it right, the whole microtransaction route the gaming industry is headed...why doesnt CoD follow the BF3 model and rent out servers? people could create random servers that jump between HQ and Dom if they wanted.

i bought BF3 2 weeks ago and have yet to have any lag, been booted from any game or have any "host migrations". my character hasnt skipped across the map, i dont get shot by people who are looking the other way, i dont shoot blanks either.

if CoD wants to continue to grow, they need dedicated servers, or else they will continue to be bashed on and made fun of for Lag OPs II and have more and more people make 2 bar connection gamer pics

Gremlin04

I understand what you are saying. I have god mode games, then the next game I can go badly negative. I used to rage like mad but I've realised there is nothing I can do. I turn the game off and play something else. You should play BF3 more often if BLOP 2 is driving you round the bend. I too would also like lag free gaming, but that aint going to happen all the time on Blops. Cod will never get dedicated servers whilst they are selling nearly 6 million copies on release. Where do they put these servers and how many would they need? Unfortionatley Cod has got too big. It probably will die a death soon. 10 titles and still going strong though, but what do I know I'm just a laid back kind of guy and have realised that if the game is not working how I want it to I switch it off and do something else. I stopped raging. I'm getting to old and lifes too short

playerone2

i would give a valid argument, but theres no point.

The game is obvoisly screwed up. they arent going to fix it.

read any user reveiw. watch some videos any youtube channel thats been playing this game for years. read the comments on the channels. comments on reveiws. the #1 comment or question is about lag.

Watch a streaming q&a with the developers and see how many lag questions they ignore and focus on much more important things. such as bouncing betty damage or something. 

Restore_Hardcore

I wonder why ppl like me don't experience inconsistent games due to lag. I don't get it. Honestly the game has felt the same for years as far as lag goes. I guess I'm lucky? Who knows, I always connect via wifi on my home network and in hotels across the west. Is it the mode I play? Core is harder for me to stay consistent but it's manageable imo.

devidog_kyle

I may be dumb, but what is the difference between "lag" and the games poor frame rate? If someone could explain it to me plainly I might stop saying its lag, but in response to OP, you can change the location on speedtest. BTW  I am getting a good ping rate from east coast to west coast. Today my bud was host 3 games in a row, a person 6 miles away, got 3 bar, someone else 50 miles away got 4 bar, we average the same download and upload, explain?

Proclaimor

The game really plays fine unless you get host, then you're pretty much screwed.

vims1990

warzh311ion wrote:

4: No matter what you do, you will never have a perfect connection, so stop trying. You will either have an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your distance and path to the host. It is very rare that everyone in a lobby is on equal ground.

Something I wished the community would understand.

You're either ahead or behind of the action, you aren't all on an equal playing field as it depends on the distance and connection to the host.

Rednecksniper39

Very well put. Couldn't agree more.

Leper_Messiah85

only time i notice it is when the whole lobby does, or i am the host of a shatty lobby. other than that, lag will happen. i just hate rage quitters during lag dropouts etc etc and it messes everything up then *poof* lobby, alone.

gallp13

Quite true

Nice summary

zingaa

My question is why are other games fine online and I had almost zero problems in MW3, yet playing core domination for example in BO2 has just horrendous lag? It doesn't matter what time of day, it's still awful. HCKC is fine but core, oh vey.

vims1990

zingaa wrote:

My question is why are other games fine online and I had almost zero problems in MW3, yet playing core domination for example in BO2 has just horrendous lag? It doesn't matter what time of day, it's still awful. HCKC is fine but core, oh vey.

Amazing how someone else's experience of connectivity in MW3 is better however for BO2, it's the complete opposite whereas my connectivity experience of MW3 hosting (might I add) was much worse than BO2 considering that I don't feel so much in a disadvantage as host in BO2.

A tough question to answer as experiences differ amongst players on various COD titles. (specifically BO, MW3 & BO2)

zingaa

vims1990 wrote:

zingaa wrote:

Amazing how someone else's experience of connectivity in MW3 is better however for BO2, it's the complete opposite whereas my connectivity experience of MW3 hosting (might I add) was much worse than BO2 considering that I don't feel so much in a disadvantage as host in BO2.

A really tough question to answer as experiences differ amongst players on various COD titles. (specifically BO, MW3 & BO2)

Yeah I know really strange. I can't seem to find any consistent pattern, drives me nuts. I used to think all the people complaining about it in MW3 were just whining, however now I realize their frustrations.

vims1990

Which is why I try to avoid telling someone in a pre-game lobby or on the COD HQ to stop blaming lag for their deaths. (or I would be considered a hypocrite for my constant complaining of connectivity issues in MW3)

All I can say is that I hope the connectivity will become consistent/will improve.at some point.

Jinx484

2. Except your ping to a server on pingtest will tell a lot of information about your ping to another players xbox.  If you are wired the same way, you will be able to see how your connection to a host will be in a general geographical location.  As well as expose any jitter problems your line has.  Perhaps it depends on the host's line quality, network settings, etc. but to say it "has nothing to do with your online gaming experience" is grossly incorrect.

3.  I'm completely for this.  People do this for a few reasons.  To either try to avoid being host, because their game does not play well when they are host and they experience a severe disadvantage. Or to try to make things run smoother.  The game is broken, I think the player should take any and all measures to try to put themselves on a level playing field.  If this is the 3rd game in a row they have included this broken game mechnic and made no attempt to fix it (with the exception of MW3, which they have admitted there are synch problems and tried to fix it. And explain that.  How could their be no problems if MW3 devs admitted there were and tried to fix them???)

4. You will never have a perfect life, so stop trying? Yes, lets all just deal with the fact that we will never have anything perfect.  SO LETS ALL GIVE UP!!!.  What kind of life model is that?  "Lets all never strive to improve anything because we will never get it 100% right."  Exercise some intelligence here.  Or stop typing on these forums because your points will never be 100% accepted, so what's the use?

The point is that the developers are hiding behind the people who claim number 4.  You're letting them off the hook and doing a disservice to the rest of us who are experience problems.

Further, you have no idea how many people are, or are not experiencing problems.  For you all you know, you (or players in general) could be having synch problems, and don't have the visual and metal wherewithal to realize that people are seeing you a couple of tenths of seconds before you see them.  The same goes for people who think they have problems, and just don't, or just have common "lag" problems (not "lag comp" synch issues).  Then you have the people who are benefitting from lag comp, and are 1 or 2 of 11 other in a room that will consistantly get the jump on me and I cannot kill them.  They are not going to complain.  And then, who is actually complaining about it, and though what medium?

So you really cant use words like "most" when talking about who experiences these issues - whether you'd like to think you're right or not... unless you can offer me some kind of proof or sound logical argument.

Adeeez100

warzh311ion wrote:

Look, all of you people out there wanting to "increase your ping", this is senceless. I want to go over why we have issues in the first place:

1: Not all Internet providers are equal. Some Internet providers have crap when it comes to line stability. 

2: Your ping on speedtest.net means nothing to your online gaming experience. All of you who come on here and say "I have a 5ms pin" have not a clue as to how things work. The ping to a server on speedtest is not the same as the ping you get from the host on the game.

3: People manipulating their network when they don't have a clue just causes issues when others join them. You are making the experience worse for others who join have to have you as host during a match.

This is a remedy for your first point,

http://http://youtu.be/0ilMx7k7mso

KoRny1

to OP,

People are not looking for a "perfect" connection.  A lot of us have been playing CoD for a long time and know that a perfect connection isn't possible. Every once in a while lag WILL screw you over, and it's just something you gotta live with...but the issue here is that BO2 has such unbelievably horrid latency problems that it's unplayable for many of us in its current state and we are looking for ways to get around it.....because we love CoD and we're not willing to accept defeat to bad game design.