32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 3:35 PM by Restore_Hardcore RSS

What's wrong with the campaign?

Restore_Hardcore

"All ghillied up" has been by far my favorite mission in any CoD campaign so far and overall Modern Warfare takes the prize as far as fun goes. Black Ops 1 & 2 campaigns have been ok and I like the direction they took for this game but still something is missing. After watching the 17 minute BF4 trailer and replaying the BF3 campaign I gotta say that Dice did a better job than Treyarch. CoD is king in the multiplayer arena because the game just runs better at 60 frames per second. I really hope CoD can add that something special to future campaigns, I don't know exactly what it is but if they can recapture the magic and make me want to play the campaign over and over again I think it would make the game better. I think the campaigns should add a multiplayer aspect to some missions where it's one team vs the other and it should flow with the story. I know we have had co-op missions but can you imagine how fun it would be to play a mission where it's Russia vs the USA or SAS and you choose your side? The story should be playable in single player but for those who want to interact with the story I think this would be fun. I play SWTOR online on my PC and I group with other players to complete missions and I think that would be a fun option for CoD. Just my thoughts, I'm just trying to recapture some of the magic I used to feel with campaigns. It seems like most missions in CoD are just enter a section, take cover, shoot the gophers who pop up, move to the next section, repeat....boring. I hope the devs make it so I want to play the campaign just as much as multiplayer and have repeatable missions. How about leveling up your character? I love how they let you customize your loadouts in Black Ops 2, a step in the right direction.

• Re: What's wrong with the campaign?
    xmrythem

Nothing is wrong with camping. None what so ever.

Until I see a "this is how you play COD" rule book, I will play any way I want.

If you kill someone with a target finder, you're bad

if you kill someone with the svu sniper, you're bad

if you quick scope someone, you're a quickscoper try hard, and you're bad

if you kill someone with the smaw, you're spamming rockets, and you're bad

if you kill someone from a window, you're camping, and you're bad

if you kill someone around any object, you're head glitching, and you're bad

if you kill someone from a corner, you're camping and you're bad

if you do anything to anyone using anytype of equpment, scorestreak, weapon, ANYTHING, you're bad, and a noob.

matt94

I personally think its that sense of realism, I liked the BF3 campaign because its really not all that far fetched for russians and americans to go to war someday, modern warfare had that spark of nuclear devestation which is always fun and suspenseful but the newer games like MW3 and BLO2 had campaigns so far from plausibility I couldnt get into them like one man stealing the net coding for americas entire drone army and uploading a virus so that he could destroy them and leave us defenseless seemed a little ridiculous

Restore_Hardcore

Ya I loved the bf3 campaign! Multiplayer has improved but the cod campaigns have been dull since MW.

SitRepPro

WaW?

Restore_Hardcore

WaW was actually good, all the campaigns have had good things about them but from MW2 and on they kinda felt boring. I certainly wouldn't want to buy those games just for the campaigns. I want BF4 just for the campaign and I would love to feel that way again about CoD.

SitRepPro

Yeah WaW is the only campaign I felt the need to complete because I enjoyed it a lot.  Haven't played much Battlefield for the campaign and Gears is the only other series (not including Judgment since I don't have it) that I've completed the campaign for.

Restore_Hardcore

The first Gears campaign was really good, part 2 was alright but 3 followed the bad guy pops up, shoot, repeat thing. I haven't bought Judgement yet but played the online demo and I wasn't too impressed. It would be nice to have a CoD campaign where you start out in bootcamp and earn your way through the ranks and you get sent on different missions based on your progress. Some missions should have an optional co-op system so you can party up and play them with your friends. If they could adopt the character progression from RPG games and give you different missions around the world based on what level you are and have it play like CoD it would be fun! They could really do some innovative things with character and mission progressions so you don't have to play a linear campaign. Complete missions 1-10 in any order to unlock missions 11-20 and so on so by the time you reach the higher levels you have a bad **a soldier with cool customizations and different weapons. Also have alternate endings and make it so your decisions have a huge impact on how the game ends. They had a few in this game but I thought there would be more. For example if you made bad desicions you and your crew die at the end and the bad guys win, I'd want to go back and play it again to change the outcome.

SitRepPro

Even though Gears 3 was watered down in the campaign, probably to appeal to the lowest common denominator, I thought the story was still enough to keep me interested.  With MW3 I never felt captivated.  I don't really play Gears for the multiplayer aspect really but I like Horde if you count that.  I suppose if there are too many areas to influence decision making then people would be annoyed at the campaign because they expect to spend 5 hours to play on it.  I know Army of Two: TFD had a fair amount of this and I assume the new instalment will be the same.

matt94

I loved the WAW campaign I thought it fit the tone of war far more than any COd before it was dark and grisly and sad just as real war should be not a one man army wreckin a terrorist organization with him and a squad, I want more historical COD, more of the gore and horryfying and I want something that isnt so repetitive I mean MW3 on veteran took me like a day to beat but WAW I never got past the third mission the nemeies in WAW and MW seemed more intelligent but I cant even bring myself to beat this game on veteran because its so boring

maccabi

I actually hated this campaign more than the mw3 one in fact i didnt even bother to finish it.

i much prefered the old cod where it was about historical battles and you felt like you were part of it this change to story driven campaigns meh

Restore_Hardcore

I wonder how much they spent on that writer from the Dark Knight who worked on this game. "All Ghillied Up" had the stealth element, sniping from afar, escaping, and posting up at the end and not just the same old bad guy appears, shoot bad guy theme we've gotten sick of. I hope the devs do something to compete with BF4, they always seem to innovate instead of milking the same thing to death.

bkblazer

"All ghillied Up" was the best mission of all time. I don't feel like I've been let down by any campaigns. I've enjoyed them all. WW2 were my favorites.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I went as far as rescuing Woods and then stopped. The campaign isn't mind blowing and in my limited experience, it isn't fun or exciting. I do agree with you that the sniper level on MW2 is the best. It got my heart pounding and it left me satisfied after I finished it. I even played the Spec Ops mission of that level over and over.

MW2's campagin, when you had to kill a bazillion guys at the estate and secure the intel,only to be betrayed by Shepard, Capt Price's speech...im having a fanboy moment right now.

MW1 and MW2, best campaigns.

gomez615

I've enjoyed all the campaigns since CoD4. All the IW campaigns still have a replayability value for me, even if it's just a few missions. BO1 not really much interest in replaying if only for random achievements. BO2 was also good during the first experience but nothing stuck with me as memorable moments that I wanted to replay. I didn't blame it on the game though, I figured it was me growing up and out of gaming a little. Maybe it's the game a little of both.

This was epic

Restore_Hardcore

Looking back I guess the campaigns get lost to multiplayer, there have been epic moments but I know they can do much more. I hope next gen opens up the door for the devs to do something worthy of buying cod for more than just multiplayer. They have all been decent but I have played the campaign in MW around 10 times and still love it. The most I've played any other is twice. I can't wait for next gen!

milobella

I think all the Call of Duty games have a memorable moment in them (COD 4 -BO2 Possible spoiler alert for those who heven't played campaign) For many in COD 4 it was the "All Ghilled Up" mission, but for me it's watching helplessly as Griggs gets taken down, and Gaz getting shot in the noggin by Zakhaev. For me in WAW, it was defending against the japanese at Shuri Castle and taking down the Nazi Flag to replace it with the Russian Flag at the Reichstag. MW2, when your at the Estate fighting against Makarovs men, only to be betrayed by Shephard. Black ops, when your escaping Vorkuta with Reznov or when you and Woods are in the Chopper delivering Hell as payback after watching your best friend get his head bashed in by a pipe. In MW3, it's watching as the Eiffel collapses, Soap's death, or Sandman and his squad's final stand. For me in BO2, it's crazily running through Nicaragua with a shotgun as Menendez, or sniping Mason as Woods and the whole cutscene after that. For me this one was the most powerfull, mainly because Black ops 1 and 2 are my  favorite of the COD campaigns. I just really like the storylines of them. I also love WAW because it feels the most realistic. I'm not a huge fan of the Modern Warfare campaigns just mainly because they are kind of all the same. Russian terrorist want nukes to blow up the U.S. Sort of repetative, but that's just me. I did like MW2 the most out of the MW campaigns because of the invasion of America. It kind of put a twist on things. I like to compare MW to Michael Bay movies. The storys may not be the best, and there are some plot holes, but no one gives a **** because the characters are bad ass and there are explosians every 10 seconds.

A big part of what was lacking in the Black Ops and Black Ops 2 campaigns were the endings. Infinity Ward got their endings right. a blur of chase scenes that were incredibly hard to moneuver through and then the epic ending with the one shot kill with a pistol on a bridge and a one chance to throw a knife at a general. ( honestly havent played much MW3 i was deployed in Afghanistan for the majority of the year that that game was released.) But i just feel as though the Modern Warfare games were much more in your face action packed to the brim and overflowing with awesomeness.