39 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 7:58 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Competitive has taken over the fun factor

Sure who doesn't likes to win, but why not try something else and not using always the same weapon setups every lobby. Competitive gaming is not what made Call of Duty so successful. I know many people will disagree with me and thats cool but i think the obsession with competitive gaming in public matches was a bad decision. The majority of CoD players are casuals and casuals don't care about competitive gaming.

This game is not capable of having a fair competitive match, broken cameras (even on lan). Bullets come out from your forehead (headglitch) so why pushing something on us when its broken by design? The reticle should be lowered like in Halo.

I wish the next Call of Duty will focus more on the fun factor again and leaving this competitive stuff aside. Fun doesn't mean the game has to be broken and unbalanced, you can have a balanced fun shooter without competitive gaming in mind.

• Re: Competitive has taken over the fun factor
    SitRepPro

COD has tried being a competitive game by copying three game modes from Counter Strike.

The thing I like most that would be deemed as 'competitive' is getting rid of the unlock system but that's a matter of balance really.

ab36

What exactly about competitive gaming has taken away from the "fun factor" of the game?

The trouble is that with a lead developer like that Vahn dude who's into Competetive Gaming, then it's gonna be reflected into the game, there's too much of what he wants in it...stats, league play and live feed's etc to make it just a fun game for people who don't want to play competively.

They should stop listening to the under age kid's as well as get someone who's unbiased to head the development.

I guarantee you that Vahn has never seen or played competitive in his life, all he does is taking advices from optic clan.

He promoted the game with competitive gaming in mind because Activision is running out of ideas how to milk the Call of Duty cashcow more and more. If they truly want to make a competitive game then they would fix the engine first, just sayin. Its like McDonalds maks advertisement for Olympic Sports.

Has he not?  then my aplogies dude as i given to understand that Vahn was a member of Optic Clan?

But even so, i agree with what your saying about "running out of ideas" and "milking the cash cow" as the franchise as a whole has become stale and just the same old thing repeated everytime Nuketown is a classic example of this...

Activision has milked it to death now in it's present state and as it's a FPS there is only so much it can do, but competetive play is certainly not the way forward, ultimately it just promotes the bad behaviour imo and so does all the empathis on stats, perhaps the next gen consoles might help it forward and give it some fresh imputus, but somehow i doubt it as it'll still be the same formulaic game with the problems it has, but either way the next CoD will really have to raise the bar or die the death.

trialstardragon

Sorry but you are wrong Vahn has seen compettiive games played before. Back during BO, he went and watched a MLG torunament. Just because he may not have ever played in it does not really mean anything. For that is the main reason that BO got the competitive playlist when it did before anything was done to hardcore when ended up in a fiasco when bombs and flags was tried in hc.

And back before the release of the game worldwide 3arc held a demonstration of the game being played by both regular people and with some so called pro teams. So yes Vahn has seen competitive fps gaming before.

So yes Vahn does know about competitive gaming and is that reason that league and codcastsing was implemented in the game and not just because Activision said to do it.

starbuckfrack

You know about a month ago you brought up the fact the cameras were off in a least 3 games, so why leave that part in ?

The object is to kill the other team so of course its competitive. If you wanted a fun game then go play the Crazy Pants game.

Brutalkillshots

I would have REALLY liked to be given the choice wither to play competitive or not ! Why they put Skillbased matchmaking in both modes is beyond me ! Just causes bad matchmaking in pubs but its probably to late to do anything now but let's hope they don't repeat the same mistakes in future titles :)

deucedouglas

I really like the competitive aspect but I don't like how it was implemented. In my opinion there should League Play and Public. Have League Play be the competitive and Public be the casual. Put the higher populated playlists (Kill Confirmed, TDM, etc.) in League Play and give them the skill based matchmaking and the likes. Then for public matches just put you in games where it just puts you in the best match possible with no other factors other than maybe party size.

gallp13

Settle pettle its always been competitive and fun......what's the diff?

Brutalkillshots

To be honest it preferred MW3s clan ops better and the comps n stuff it was just more fun and more popular ! Though I didn't play the clan ops much as my clan was level 50 from the beginning of the game :D

Fixblops2,

Are you referring to League play ruining COD and on which platform?    Hardly anyone is in the league play lobbies, maybe 1% of the xbox 360 community.     I don't understand how 1% of the community could ruin COD for all of the others that play in the public match lobbies?  

I think overall that league play is a failure, but if you really want to get competitive, there has always been private matches in COD games and I imagine that clans and parties could privately meet up and do private matches.  

Its not the league, its the whole game is build around competitive gaming in mind especially the maps are not fun. Maps like Plaza could be from Unreal Tournament. The maps are so small and clustered, you never know when someone spawns right behind you.

ab36

I agree that Plaza isn't a fun map, the game has a number of maps that aren't that fun, while some are, but I don't see how the maps mean are catering toward competitive play as opposed to just being regular maps. Practically every Call of Duty (including Call of Duty 4) had maps that were used competitively, this one doesn't seem any more "competitive" than the others.

xmrythem

personally, for me, what takes the "fun factor' out of a map is symmetrical maps. Hydro, plaza, drone, hijacked.

I mainly play CTF, and blackops 1 did a great job balancing the maps, yet making each side play different. Now, for example, Hydro, each side is literally 100% identicle, and by the end of the first around, you're like, YAY! I GET TO DO THE EXACT SAME THING FOR THE NEXT 10 MINS. . . . .

Meltdown, Aftermath, Lockdown, Express, Cargo, Hijacked, Nuketown, Plaza, Slums, Drone (semi) all have the same map flow.

The best maps are the ones which aren't mirrored (symmetrical) like Carrier, Standoff. Yemen, Turbine, Raid.

Thats what i loved about CoD that the maps are not mirrored (unreal tournament style). Older CoD had also few mirrored maps like Ambush or Highrise but these maps were at least fun to play. The only mirrored fun maps in BO2 are Meltdown and maybe Lockdown.

Thats just my opinion of course, and opinions aren't facts.

xmrythem

a game focused around "fun factor" would be battlefield.

In no way shape or form have I ever felt that game to be competative. I don't care if I win or lose, nor do I care about "must cap b flag or we lose!!!"

When I play BF I just run around and feel like its myself against the world. COD is exactly the opposite (for me), especially in CTF. The entire game can feel like a fight, and when we win, it feels awesome. Maybe becuase its smaller teams, smaller maps, less "things" to do.

I love the feel of COD and the competetive side is what brings me to it.

Want to play a game for fun play the sims, who would ever want to play something like COD and not at least try to win everygame. 

You completely missed the point.

trialstardragon

Me. I do not care if my team wins or not. I do not care about my w/l ratio at all. A win is just a bonus to playing the game. So yep there are people out there that do not care or worry about the win every match.

In BO the funnest thing was the contracts, did not care about k/d or w/l at all. If I had a contract active all other aspects of the game meant nothing at that point. Only getting the contract done mattered.

so not everyone cares about winning all the time. Some can and do find fun in other ways of playing for other reasons, not some stat like k/dr or w/lr.

SitRepPro

CTF is the most competitive game mode in COD so that kinda skews it.  Most shooters, if not all of them, have had some influence or involvement in the competitive scene.  Even Unreal Tournament was played competitively, which was seen as an alternative to the more 'serious/competitive' Quake, but Unreal's games weren't designed for the competitive community directly AFAIK.

Arcade racing games are probably a better example of being fun, whilst not overly involved in the competitive scene.  I don't think I've seen an arcade racer in an 'esports' championship for a long, long time.  The oldest one I can think of is F Zero on gaming shows.  Could you imagine Burnout Paradise being on MLG tournaments these days?

UncleFizer

So your complaining that people play how they want to play and not the way you think they should?  That is dumb.  They paid the same $$ you did.  So what if they use the same setup every game.  how is that a bad thing.

NoLifeKing29

In my opinion competitive play was overemphasized in the development stage. Its also my opinion, one that I think most of us could agree on, that competitive play has been drastically overemphasized post release and the game/community is suffering as a result. The game has connection issues that range from severe to manageable, but never great. The HC community is being completely ignored, I have only seen Vahn talk about HC on two different occassions, making a total of 4 posts. I would say they are catering to less than 1% of the playerbase with their focus on league, but thats false. They aren't catering to anyone, and people are moving on.

blb128

Winning is fun. I have a 92% win percentage so I have alot of fun.

bkblazer

I agree to an extent. I used to have more fun up to and including MW2, but it was still competitive then. Maybe just toooo many tryhards and wannabee mlg due to the tube. More players= more better players. Idk. I try to win every game but definitely enjoy completing challenges more. Good thought though. Maybe one day we'll figure out what's got us off-kilter.