18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 6:01 AM by Bielsalmighty RSS

Unfair Advantage

Proclaimor

I just noticed that while I'm redownloading the Revolution Map Pack in the background, my K/D spikes and I win gun battles I should probably lose. Tried it again and confirmed.

• Re: Unfair Advantage
    get2dachoperrrr

Sometimes you win gunfights you should of lost, othertimes you lose gunfights you should of clearly won, it happens and FYI the map pack will download faster if your just sitting at the dashboard.

banned-again

you cant download from xbox live while playing online so im not sure what your on about

Leper_Messiah85

you are talking about spiking your internet speed while playing or the most basic form of lag switching. you can dl something on your computer while joing a game and you will have the best internet in the game.... i guess... never tried it or needed to but i did hear about this having some effect on the way you play.. now wether it will work to your advantage is i guess a 50/50 shot... i dont agree with it because its like cheating, or dashboarding imo.

nuttin2say

banned and myevo are correct when it comes to XBL ... when you are in a match, downloading stops. Since this is in the Xbox 360 forum, what happens on PS3 doesn't really matter.

In any case, my personal opinion is that if you need to download something (whether to your console or to your pc), you need to stop playing online multiplayer while doing so.

starbuckfrack

Downloading and playing at the same time MAY happen with the new Xbox with more threading, but not this one.

playerone2

Leper_Messiah85 wrote:

you are talking about spiking your internet speed while playing or the most basic form of lag switching. you can dl something on your computer while joing a game and you will have the best internet in the game.... i guess... never tried it or needed to but i did hear about this having some effect on the way you play.. now wether it will work to your advantage is i guess a 50/50 shot... i dont agree with it because its like cheating, or dashboarding

This is correct. there are hundreds of threads and videos on it. If you are in fact downloading in the backround while you begin the match.

NOT cheating by the way. just optimizing your connection for this paticular game. no different than port forwarding. but that argument would be for a different thread yah?

Ungrateful_Dead

If you mean either method can help you individually, yes.  However degrading your bandwith by whatever tactics IS a lot different than Port Forwarding.  How close lowering your connection quality is to cheating depends on what effect it has on the lobby. 

Lag-switch is cheating and by the above definition would be just "optimizing your connection" to the detriment of the rest of lobby.  Degrading your bandwidth by whatever tactic you choose affects the whole lobby.  Those guys teleporting accross the map because their connection can't keep up with lobby?  The could be the result of poor matchmaking, but that's not the only possibility.

Port Forwarding may improve your individual connection and/or experience, but does not hinder anyone else in the lobby and may actually help the overall lobby response. 

Datura

The effect works heavily against morons who download while playing (although they never care to admit it) because all they're doing is saturating their bandwidth and loading up their routers. It does mean they can potentially dodge more bullets (due to teleporting) but it also means player actions, such as shooting the enemy, won't reach the host because jitter and packet loss skyrockets which means highly inconsistent performance. It's a favourite with kids and tin foil hat types though.

playerone2

Yah i guess if your maxing it out to the point where you are teleporting around. but that would hinder your gameplay more than anything.

If you have the right amount of latency. you wont be as compensated. I dont know the reasoning behined it or the exact amount. but from everything ive read and experienced, this is (at least for the most part) true. Im sure you have someone on your friendslist that just obsorbs bullets every game, while you get killed in 1 shot. This is not because their connection is better. it just happens to be "optimal" usually by luck. aka wifi.

excellent connection=crap

very poor connection=crap

somewhere in the middle= poor-ok.

every lobby has a sweet spot. obviously. hence the player with .8kd with 50 kills and 3 deaths, just calling in mad spy planes and care packages(you).

while the guy with 2+kd goes dbl ought to 30 and rage quits(me). yes exagerations.

Bielsalmighty

False, without the map pack you bump into far more casual players than you would with it. Your connection hasn't gotten better, the standard of competition has gone down.

snorubit

Also believe that it impacts SBMM significantly. Anything that further defines (possibly reducing) your available pool of players will likely impact host options. I.e. DLC, high SPM, region, etc.

Broader the pool the better the host odds, the better the hit detection, better performance...

Bielsalmighty

That too. I play with some people who dont have the map pack and my experiences without it are a lot less consistent than they are with it. At least thats how it goes if MM is working properly for you. I dont doubt there are some who are still having trouble with it. However I'm always reluctant to believe that when someone equates success with connection quality...