1 2 3 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 12:29 PM by QwertyBoredom RSS

Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?

PandasRpeople2

Out of any weapon, attachment, perk, etc., it seems that the Target Finder gets the most hate.  I myself call it the "noob scope."  But is it actually overpowered?

I would contend that it is slightly overpowered.  It's the equivalent of MW3's Marksman perk, which I had no problem with.  However, Target Finder has two distinct advantages over Marksman:

1. Marksman was countered by Assassin Pro, which made it very unreliable since about 50% of players were running Assassin Pro in any case.  The Target Finder is countered by Cold Blooded, which for the most part is useful for nothing except countering Target Finder (i.e. that is its most relevant application) and is therefore seldom used.

2. As an attachment rather than a perk, Target Finder is easier to sneak into builds in the Pick 10 system, since you can run two attachments without needing to spend a point on a Wildcard.

I don't mind getting killed by campers.  But I do get a bit irked when I'm picked off across the map by an LMG user who never would've seen me at all without the Target Finder.  What do you think, though?  OP, or just annoying?

• 1. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?
    iivrruummii

Yes it is overpowered.  You can see the diamond boxes before they come around the corner sometimes.  I think that the target finder is quite glitchy and that is what is causing it to be overpowered.  In the end it won't be changed, so what does it matter.

• 2. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?

I don't mind it, i use cold blooded on all my classes.

• 3. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?
    codchamp

No it is not OP. The TF does not make you aim quicker, it does not make your aim better and it does not make your bullets stronger. If the TF is such a issue then you run the perk that prevents the diamond from showing up.

Now before you say why should i have to run a perk because of it. You have to run tac mask to counter shock charges, Flak jacket to counter never ending explosions etc. The TF has a counter and you use it if you need.

• 4. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?
    phxs72

I'll give you points for having some reasoning behind your opinion that goes beyond the typical someone killed me with fill in the blank rant.  However, it's no more powerful than Marksman.  Granted not as many people who are experienced run Coldblooded but every noob player does because it's a starter perk unlike Assassin.  I ran a whole lot of Marksman in MW3 and can tell you that it worked way more often than not.  And given that more experienced players don't run Coldblooded all that much because it's not all that useful means that the TF isn't having such a dominating affect on anyone who knows how to play's game to be worthy of concern.  Ergo it's end effect is not the gamechanger that people pretend it to be.

• 5. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?
    snorubit

I rarely run TF but I admit I always keep a class handy that has an AR with TF (a range weapon, most often the FAL). If facing a group that head glitches a lot then I switch over. I also find that I run it frequently on Drone as people like to sit on the ridgeline by C spawn and snipe- makes it easier to counter without leaving the main action.

Typically, I run this class with Overkill and have a "normal" weapon for my style as my second.

I honestly don't get annoyed nor think it overpowered. A smoke class completely eliminates it's effectiveness. An EMP takes it out as most that wield it don't seem to have a feel for the center of their screen for aiming without crosshairs. Cold Blooded as you mentioned provides some amount of counter and I always keep an "Air" class with this perk.

At the end of the day, the person using it still needs to react, aim, etc. and if they don't have the crisp ability to do so, will lose. Even worse if they are sitting there ADS- a concussion, which really isn't even needed, and you can waltz over leisurely for a little how's your mother.

• 6. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?
    narcotic.jamie

I dont mind it really, i find it gets too much hate, but thats just hate transferred from something else.

I went through a phase where i used it a lot, now i just use it on the SMR while im trying to get it gold.

The thing that you need to remember is practically everything has a counter to it, hence the cold blooded.

Id say my only complaint is even if there is only a small part of you showing you get the diamond, you could be laying prone with just your feet showing and you will get a full diamond, lol! apart from that doesn't bother me too much!

• 7. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?
    SitRepPro

PandasRpeople2 wrote:

Out of any weapon, attachment, perk, etc., it seems that the Target Finder gets the most hate.  I myself call it the "noob scope."  But is it actually overpowered?

I would contend that it is slightly overpowered.  It's the equivalent of MW3's Marksman perk, which I had no problem with.  However, Target Finder has two distinct advantages over Marksman:

1. Marksman was countered by Assassin Pro, which made it very unreliable since about 50% of players were running Assassin Pro in any case.  The Target Finder is countered by Cold Blooded, which for the most part is useful for nothing except countering Target Finder (i.e. that is its most relevant application) and is therefore seldom used.

2. As an attachment rather than a perk, Target Finder is easier to sneak into builds in the Pick 10 system, since you can run two attachments without needing to spend a point on a Wildcard.

I don't mind getting killed by campers.  But I do get a bit irked when I'm picked off across the map by an LMG user who never would've seen me at all without the Target Finder.  What do you think, though?  OP, or just annoying?

lol the funny thing with MW3 is that Assassin Pro users often used Dead Silence and had no qualms with countering the base perk of Marksman until good ol' SitRep returned the favour.  Not so fun being on the end of having your perk trashed now is it?

Use Cold Blooded.  Noob attachment?  Yeah, so is fast mags then because people can't manage their ammo count with some guns like the PDW having a 50 round magazine.  LMGs are pretty gimped in this game for a variety of reasons so if heavy gunners are using the Target Finder to compete with SMG monkeys then so be it.

• 8. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?

Snipers have build in toughness so cold blooded is next best tier 2 perk for snipers. I use cold blooded as default tier 2 perk. Yes i have only sniper classes LOL.

• 9. Re: Is the Target Finder actually overpowered?

Target finder is basically the same thing as dual band scope in my opinion, and no one complains about dual band.

1 2 3 Previous Next