10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 3:07 PM by xtraflossy RSS

Why do optics show a  boost to your gun accuracy statistics?

RAMBONER

I was bored the other night and my net was running like **** plus I was half assed watching a bball game at the time so I set up some identical classes in a custom game where one class had a rds and the other did not.  I then did wall tests with a bunch of different guns (ARs) and the wall test showed 0 change in accuracy by using a rds or not.  I even did some while hip firing as I thought the bump in accuracy that they give you might change the accuracy there but it had no changes.

Obviously if you do not like a guns ironsites then using an attachment makes a difference but it is not a measurable difference more of a subjective difference.  I am sure some people way smarter then I (not hard to do) have tested this stuff but I am at work right now and cant be youtube surfing.

Back to the question then......why do a guns accuracy stats increase when you add an optic. 

• Re: Why do optics show a  boost to your gun accuracy statistics?
    phxs72

The recoil for a gun doesn't change with an optic sight; however, most of the optics give you a magnified view of the target but they don't magnify the recoil to compensate.  So basicially you can turn a medium range shot into a short range shot recoil wise.  You still have the damage drop off to contend with but more of your bullets will land because you've effectively reduced the distance from a recoil perspective.  The RDS sight has very little magnification but the little dot can be easier to keep on target than the iron sights for some.  This is also why the MMS reduces your accuracy because it uses a lesser zoom than the iron sights.

RAMBONER

So the range increase is there and the damage drop ranges are increased.  If you look though when you attach a site it bumps the accuracy up which in my book would relate to hip firing accuracy or a slight increase in recenter speed.  That cant happen or the grip would lose its value though.  I am just wondering if I am missing something here since sites like the edtech add 2 full bars of accuracy.  The amount that a site visually helps someone cannot be measured so I thought maybe there was a hidden trait the optics had that directly related to accuracy.

Community1234

This is incorrect.

Certain sights to give a boost to accuracy.  Certain sights reduce the time it takes for your crosshair to return to center after each bullet is fired.

Watch Drift0r's videos on YouTube regarding this.  He does some very in-depth reviews for this game.

theroc23

All I know is that I'm much more accurate at mid to long range while using optics and it's not even close.

According to a few YouTube videos I've seen (mainly Drift0r) the EO Tech, Target Finder and ACOG (?) all increase recenter speed. I think it was 1% for each of those, meaning its about half as effective as grip.

I think the increase in accuracy in the game more has to do with muzzle flash and clarity though. People think silencers reduce recoil in every CoD, which isn't true, it just removes muzzle flash thus making you think you're staying on target easier. With any kind of optic you don't really see the muzzle flash, thus making you more accurate. Also a single dot versus a potential cluttered iron sight is probably going to more accurate. I think its more mental than anything else with an optical attachment.

xtraflossy

Yep -

Many times in this game the attachments show stat increases based or what it SHOULD help you do, not actually do.

Stock for instance, gives 2 accuracy, but it doesn't effect recoil, it just assumes since you can move faster while ads, it increases accuracy.  After all, there is no measuing / trackable stat on the weapon "grid" for what the attachment offers.

Silencer is confsing as well - as the effect when it's attached can be looked at as a decrease in range, or damage.