24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 8:09 PM by brewcastleunited RSS

Is TDM the purest form of Call of Duty

ghamorra

A great wise man told this to me. TDM is Call of Duty in its most natural form. Streaks are hard to earn, the game is almost entirely gun on gun battles and the points you earn to go towards Streaks should not be changed at all because it would ruin the sanctity of the gamemode

Agree or Disagree?

• Re: Is TDM the purest form of Call of Duty
    Izjar11

AGREE!

TDM is the purest, simplest, most difficult to (earn hard high scorestreaks) gamemode.

TDM (to me) is the perfect (first) game mode that one should master to play other modes better. HCTDM is another beast, more demanding, less forgiving than core.

phxs72

If the higher streaks weren't so effective then I'd argue against the way it is; however, they are very effective and even a streak as simple as a Lighting Strike (7.5 kills) will often net you a double or a quad which is comparable to what the attack helicopter would do at 7 kills if it didn't get shot down right away.  If the streaks were easier to get then TDM would lose a lot of it's strategic appeal.  Maybe the UAV shouldn't have been raised for TDM but other than that I'd say that the balance is a little more difficult than in previous titles but still a pretty decent one.

Izjar11

The fact that scorestreaks (high) ones are rare is why I enjoy TDM (core). Its a challenge to avoid death!

G' wrote about it and its true, avoiding death in a game mode like TDM takes practice and creativity. Then again, there's is a counter to that as well ~ counter playing.

ghamorra

This was my exact argument in another which insipred this OP. My SWARMs can get me 10 kills on the regular. In KC I get SWARMs and Dogs twice in a match and they alone earn me as many as 30 kills on a bad day. Imagine how much of an impact that would be in a mode like TDM. Half your objective score is acheive by Streaks alone

Agree.

I love HCTDM. Hardly anyone can manage to get anything over Stealth Chopper.

Another thing... in HCTDM, a lot of the time it seems like I'm back in 2007 with the original CoD4 community. Absolute bliss.

I think TDM is the second purest form, FFA being the purest.

Streaks are just as hard to earn, it's just as much gun on gun and most importantly there is no team aspect.

I agree score shouldn't be touched in TDM. The only feasible change is making the score limit 100 instead of 75

RAMBONER

I cant stand tdm but would have to say that without a doubt it is the most pure form.  Wouldnt Barebones tdm be even more pure?  No streaks only guns and equipment.

rlbl

Leaving out special barebones games (a barebones TDM game mode would be the "purest")

I would say FFA is:

- you can only depend on you

- nobody to mess you up, or help you

- if you win.. YOU won it and not your team

second to that, TDM (HC especially).

Having said that, I barely play TDM (or SnD) because I am more into winning games than strictly looking to "improve" my KD.  I know this does not apply to everyone, but I just cannot stand games where people do not "have" to leave their spawns to win*

A good game of TDM (HC or CORE) is always fun... the problem (for me) is good games where most players on both teams are playing well are often hard to come by.  I guess I just get frustrated...

* I am in no way suggesting that people have to run around (or not camp)... I always believe a team of a mixed bag of defensive and offensive players is good in any game mode.  But I get frustrated when I run into a team where they are all playing too defensively (conversely I hate getting put on a team where I am the only one willing to move forward)... again, this is just me.

wrecku

Agree and its all I play since the 6yr olds took over the game and never went for the objective. TDM is a pure cruel world where your thrown into a ethnic mixing bowl and fight for your life.

danbolton89

I just often wish the score limit was longer. Sometimes 75 comes around too quick! I wish there was a long game mode so you could feel like a proper mini war going on.

Im_A_Drag85

i would have to agree!

whenever i'm getting stomped in objective games...TDM is always a fall back to help curve my frustrations.  Laid back, easy going, and when in a party...good times.

Raketti

Agreed, it's best to keep the score where it is so that the gamemode remains mostly gun on gun.

RangerKaiser

Core TDM is very fast paced but HC is not as fast paced but far less forgiving you get hit 1 time and your dead but people tend to camp more in hc because of that. I believe id aggree but only with HC tdm

brewcastleunited

I started a thread that was remarkably similar to this months ago....and yes I do feel that TDM is COD at it's best / purest. Unfortunately it is also the least rewarding in terms of XP awarded. I used to play ground war on Black Ops 1 and MW2 to get a nice mix of domination and TDM games - but MW3 and Black Ops 2 have maps that are too small to play well with large ground war teams. What I've done on Black Ops 2 is played domination from prestige 1 to prestige 8 and now I've switched over to TDM. I have a higher KDR and much higher W/L ratio in TDM - but I stuck to dom early on to roll through the prestige levels quicker.
       I think they could make TDM more rewarding by giving you 100 xp per positive kills to negative deaths at the end of the match. For example....if you went 12 kills - 4 deaths you would earn a bonus of 800 experience points at the end of the match (12 kills minus 4 deaths = +8 for an 800 point bonus. There's no need to penalize people with negative kills to deaths, they obviously wouldn't earn a bonus though. This wouldn't make you earn score streaks faster since this is awarded at the conclusion of the match. This way here a guy that goes 12-2 (more favorable contribution to kills versus deaths) will now be on par with a guy that goes 19-18 (more kills but less favorable contribution to kills versus deaths) when it comes to xp awarded.