21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 4:29 PM by the_murf53 RSS

Divided We Stand

ghamorra

I've been trolling some gaming sites and I'm finding growing resentment amongst the gaming community, a resentment in DLC and Pre-Order Bonuses

I couldn't be more excited for Injustice: Gods Among Us and I pre-ordered my copy about as soon as I heard about it. The only thing about pre-ordering a game as soon as I did was that I was unaware of the 3 different pre-order bonuses being offered by Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Gamestop. I'm upset because all three DLC skins for the game are awesome, yet I can only get one.

We all know about the DLC issues that plague Call of Duty and the match making segregation that is destroying playability and causing people to uninstall or turn off match making features thus wasting $40-50 and perfectly good maps to play on. To top it off, Call of Duty offered several pre-order bonuses that all varied based on where you got the game causing not just confusion about what you got, but left many people upset that they couldn't take advantage of all the cool stuff that could be obtained.

Its also becoming more obvious that games are relying on DLC to "finish" the product. We're seeing more and more games being launched with nearly half the content of previous titles, which is funny considering that as technology improves games like Skyrim can put in 300hrs + of playability without repeating anything. So why are games so easily Platinum'd? Devs are using DLC as a way to sell a 2 halves of a product each at regular price.

If you scroll through any article about pre-order launches you'll find that this happens with every game. Not only does it leave the consumer feeling left out, but it also causes issues within the game itself. The customer gets boned hard both ways, and to make it worse, its actually benefiting the developers as it greatly boosts profits. I have to say Call of Duty is the worst at this. There's so many disadvantages to the way DLC is done with performance, XBox loyalty and PS3 negligence, as well as not being able to obtain all that is being offered by different retailers.

Some people's remarks are stop playing the game. Is that even possible? You don't just "give up" on gaming, and since almost every developer is doing this with every game that's made you simply don't "play something else". As a community, I feel its degrading to see how things are coming along. We think we're getting more for our money, but are we really?

• Re: Divided We Stand
    cranium2001

I am and will continue to be loyal to Gamestop. My wife worked there for 14 years (EB originally) and I feel they have always treated me fairly. I honestly don't care what skins or other things other places offer to be honest, but I totally see what you're saying. Separation causes competition.

Highwayman0226

Imagine how exciting a game like CoD would be if all the DLC was included at the register.  You wouldn't know what you were getting, or when.  They could just toss a new map into the rotation over night.  You might play in the morning, and have a new gun available in the evening.  They build up the DLC, because that's how you sell things, but if it was ALL included, they wouldn't have to try to sell it to you, leaving the customer in day to day anticipation.

I played the new Tomb Raider when it came out.  I think I finished it inside a week.  I didn't check times, but I would say 10-12 hours I put into it.  I finished it at 83%, and had no desire to go back and find everything.  The game was well made imo, but it was just too short.  There is DLC coming for it, but it's probably not free (might be, but that's a longshot).  I traded it back a week after buying it.  Even if half the people buy the DLC, that is all profit from what should've been there in the first place.

*This was meant for OP, obviously.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

GT5 randomly adds content such as new challenges, etc. it's VERY cool and keeps me going back for more.

Izjar11

Got to counter what you write here G' though you write a very good post.

causing people to uninstall or turn off match making features thus wasting $40-50 and perfectly good maps to play o

What reason are they purchasing then the DLC for? They know they will be segregated, purchasing the DLC is a known thing you will play with those who purchased. They uninstall it because they choose to.

Call of Duty offered several pre-order bonuses that all varied based on where you got the game causing not just confusion about what you got, but left many people upset that they couldn't take advantage of all the cool stuff that could be obtained.

Here I am mixed, yes they always offer several packages to purchase, those who purchase more than what the game offers <in my> opinion are wasting their money, those care packages, those hardened editions. Anyone who has studied business knows there are simply MARKETING tactics to sell more things you truly do not need. Don't blame them, its the consumer.

Its also becoming more obvious that games are relying on DLC to "finish" the product. We're seeing more and more games being launched with nearly half the content of previous titles, which is funny considering that as technology improves games like Skyrim can put in 300hrs + of playability without repeating anything. So why are games so easily Platinum'd? Devs are using DLC as a way to sell a 2 halves of a product each at regular price.

Here I am also mixed, look (and I speak for COD games) when MW (COD4) came out it was a very simple / to the point game with not many additions and the fan base was considerably smaller at that moment. Marketers (yes them again) have gained and learned that the average gamer is willing to spend more money on games, adding more content at a price. I see nothing wrong here, the game itself offers allot without having to purchase anything more than what's there.

Some people's remarks are stop playing the game. Is that even possible? You don't just "give up" on gaming, and since almost every developer is doing this with every game that's made you simply don't "play something else". As a community, I feel its degrading to see how things are coming along. We think we're getting more for our money, but are we really?

I share sentiment, trust me G' but where do you think the gaming community is headed? Do you think in this consumer driven society they should sell more things? Add more things? We consume, we are given choices, we dish out our credit cards with no gun to our heads, to me, though I would rather not pay see nothing more wrong with this than what happens in supermarkets, more choices, "higher" quality, everything has a price.

If the games get better, if these developers get creative, that would benefit them and us.

On a side note: It would be revolutionary to see a developer who cares not for money but for the game, and sells "advertising" space in the game which will pay for new products offered for free to the consumer. This I would rather see, and hope they and us as buyers get their.

Another side note: the HEAT are going for 24!

ghamorra

Izjar11 wrote:

Here I am mixed, yes they always offer several packages to purchase, those who purchase more than what the game offers <in my> opinion are wasting their money, those care packages, those hardened editions. Anyone who has studied business knows there are simply MARKETING tactics to sell more things you truly do not need. Don't blame them, its the consumer.

If I'm not mistaken Best Buy offered different packages then Gamestop

Here I am also mixed, look (and I speak for COD games) when MW (COD4) came out it was a very simple / to the point game with not many additions and the fan base was considerably smaller at that moment. Marketers (yes them again) have gained and learned that the average gamer is willing to spend more money on games, adding more content at a price. I see nothing wrong here, the game itself offers allot without having to purchase anything more than what's there.

The argument here is mostly for other games, but Call of Duty can still be included still. The maps in Call of Duty were very lackluster. It was obvious that the maps that were included were strictly filler because they were grossly similar to each other. Also, from what I've heard, Zombies was majorly under-delivered

Oh, and the NBA is rigged. I've felt this for a while and tonight just proves it more