20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 6:04 AM by wtcwarrior RSS

Black ops 2 lag help

Syndicatekiller

Please help somebody,I am lagging in black ops 2 and no matter what I do I always get a three bar connection in black ops 2 whereas the other players have a four bar,I have the following router-Linksys WRT54GH,I have done my ping test and the results ate as follows,ping-14ms,download speed-122.0 kB/s,upload speed-122.1 kB/s,I don't know if my speed is slow or my router is bad,I have like 4-5 devices connected to my router,so whenever I try finding matches it takes ages to find one,so can please anybody help,I have already changed my search preferences to best but now even in "any" I cannot find a match and even if I do it lags pretty bad,but my normal surfing on the net or watching any movie online there are no problems but only playing black ops 2 online lag and all the other **** happens.

• Re: Black ops 2 lag help
    starbuckfrack

If you got 122 Kbytes per second then THAT is why you lag.

What do you have Dialup ?

PS punctuation and paragraphs really help.

Syndicatekiller

No dial up,but acc to u what should be my speed?

sixthsamurai

If these stats are accurate then your DL and UL speeds will make it very difficult to play this game (ignoring the problems people on better connections have) most certainly while 4 other devices pull on your connection.

I suggest you check with your local providers to see what they recommend for an internet busy household like yours and to what they are able to provide you within your budget. I would certainly (based on your stats and as an online gamer) desire a better connection than the one you have shown here.

Any connection with "mbps" UL/DL would be advisable.

Syndicatekiller

In terms of Mbps my UL/DL is 1.01mbps/1.02mbps so hw much should I increase it to?

sixthsamurai

It's subjective to how much bandwith your household requires and what is available in your area. Therefore only your ISP and/or you yourself can determine what will be enough. By looking at the drain on your connection at it's peak times you would then be able to make a decision which would hopefully entail you getting a connection which can easily handle the drain even at peak times.

I'm willing to continue like this even though I suspect you may require a toll to cross this bridge.

120kb/s upload is more than enough, this game needs only 4-5kb/s to be a client, being a Host is a different story.

Syndicatekiller

My routers performance is also not that great,so infact I am switching to a dual band router and upgrading to 2mbps,now it should definitely reduce lag!

I'm not sure 4 bars would help you to be honest.

I have a 4-bar in 90% of games , but still average at least 2 BS Lag related deaths a game. *

(* Yes I am so sad I have actually started keeping records)

xSirArtVandelayx

Forget it, nothing you can do.  I have 20mb down/7 up and I'm in the midst of one of the worst laggy weeks I've ever seen in COD.  It's not just me, friends feeling the same thing.  K/Ds are dropping like mad as we get pwnd by guys with .6 and .7 k/d who are putting up 30-10 types of games left and right as they kill you with their guns pointed at the ground or even better while you're shooting them in the back.  Next week it will flip, I'll be ahead of the lag, I swear they do something with every patch to affect it.  If only they would say, this game is optimal on this type of connection, but they'd rather just say make sure you do port forwarding and all of that good stuff and keep it a mystery.  Btw, I've tried everything they mention and it doesn't change a thing.  Heck, just go straight hardwired into your modem and you'll see you still lag even with a beefy connection.  However, you do appear to have dial up speeds, I'd actually say you're one of the people ruining the game for everyone if that's what you're jumping into lobbies with (no offense).  Better connection will at least get you into games faster.  Seems like the guys I know who have Verizon FiOS do not seem to be having as many issuses with that 50 down/25 up.  Maybe it likes those higher more consistent ups, wonder if playing over a 1.5/1.5 T1 line helps.  F this game.  I have an idea, try to contact support and see if you can actually find a page that doesn't end in an error page.  I did manage to find a phone number and waddya know, an automated system that led me back to the support page and hangs up!  Lol, then I try to trick it by going after different options just to get a human and it said you have 91 people ahead of you.  Haha, yet I continue to play the game, it's like crack.  I'm an idiot.

... and yeah, 4 bars means diddly in this.  Girl look at my 4 bars... (great parody from MW3)

snorubit

and you want to be my latex salesman... (nice reference on the forum name).

I scaled your wall of text and agree with what you've experienced. Incidentally, I have a full friends list and of those only 8-10 are still playing this title regularly. Not that I hook with them anymore as when in a party the latency is even worse for me and it is more difficult to bounce from lobby to lobby looking for decent hit detection (I set my status to Appear Offline to avoid invites).

Pathetic really...

Ellixander

I thought it was only me appearing offline regularly to avoid invites as I rarely want to stay on for more than 30 minutes

wonder if we appear on the global stats if we appear offline?

wonder if he is still concentrating on the importing or moving into exporting?

All i have to say that their server sucks ive play cod 4 mw2 black ops1 mw3 with 3 bar connection and i never lagg but this time playing blac ops 2 sucks the players with 4 bar connection their bullets registered faster than my 3 bar connection that never happen to my old call of duty game.. they need to fix their server its fuckin slow..

All i have to say that their server sucks ive play cod 4 mw2 black ops1 mw3 with 3 bar connection and i never lagg but this time playing blac ops 2 sucks the players with 4 bar connection their bullets registered faster than my 3 bar connection that never happen to my old call of duty game.. they need to fix their server its friggin slow..

Foh real though whats up with this bullet not registrating fast enough with a 3 bar connection.. ive played cod 4, mw2, black ops 1, and mw3 and i had 3 bar connection for all of them..and never had a problem with the bullet registrating.. now im playing black ops 3 and it sucks cuz having the 3 bar connection is so disadvantage with the 4 bar connection.. they need to fix their server id understand more if i had 2 bar connection.. plss fix the bugs in your server activision...

2o2p

Not sure why you are posting this here.  You should ask on your ISP forums or your router forums because Treyarch has stated time and time again there is nothing wrong with their game.  Nothing at all.  It runs perfectly and if you are having a problem it is entirely, 100% on your end.

If they were to admit they had any problems whatsoever on their end then they would have to spend money to fix it.  Money the would essentially lose.  Their goal is to invest their time and money into things that will make them more money in the future (DLC, their next 'perfect' game, etc.).

zingaa

1.Mb download is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to dsl, at least go to the middle tier of 15-20 mb for better computer results at least. I run 50mb and I still have unplayable lag 30% of the time in core, hardcore is much better I haven't played core in almost two weeks.

maccabi

zingaa wrote:

1.Mb download is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to dsl, at least go to the middle tier of 15-20 mb for better computer results at least. I run 50mb and I still have unplayable lag 30% of the time in core, hardcore is much better I haven't played core in almost two weeks.

Bandwidth has absolutely nothing to do with how well your game runs , the game uses approx 0.04mbs so it wont even tax the most basic of internet packages when it comes to bandwidth

people really need to lose the fallacy more bandwidth (mbs ) is somehow faster it isnt

Miles_Teg

Totally agree.

I have measured in real time my traffic during gameplay.

Unless your are the host, it stays below 10 Kbs, there are only a couple of spikes around 100Kbs at the beginning and the end of the match.

Sometimes if new players join the game in progress there are also some spikes around 50kbs.

The bandwidth is nothing. Latency is what matters.

I run 15 up 2 down, i thought that was great for the price i pay roughly 60 a month, I did the speedtest and it is 14.98 up. Did a ping test and this is where i found my issue. First i had 11ms ping with 2 jitter. pingtest.net....But i couldn't find out my packets lost. Why? Because my firewall was enabled. I had a B connection, it said right then and there its good connection but online games won't be the best. So I did some researching and some stuff i remember from school, Firewalls are bs, they are really not needed, they say they are there to stop unwanted sites and hackers, lets be real, hackers piss on firewalls, unless your the fbi or some gov agency, even then if they want in, they get in, and if your going to an unwanted site, how unwanted can it be? So I disabled my firewall, ran the test again, went to an A connection. "Excellent!" said it right in front of my eyes, I jumped on for a game and saw a huge difference. Also treyarch has said on twitter they do plan on fixing the choppy cameras and delay's take it for what its worth, but i can pull up tons of fill. Hell, go into my player channel WTCWarrior, and watch the 12 second film on mirage. That happens more times then anyone wants to admit. And thats on HC. For those who don't wanna take the time. I get shot at probably a good 10 feet to the left of where I actually am, the first shot which is clearly wide left kills me! I lol at it now, but can't help but wonder every time i run behind a building and drop how many times its cuz of crappy camera's. Its not the lag. Well, 30% of the time it probably is but its more so the game itself.