35 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 2:39 PM by LordPookums RSS

Assault Rifles are weak!

ThatCodGuy33

Assualt Rifles are absolutely useless and have ruined my favorite part of the game. I loved all the assault rifles in mw3, besides the Type-25. Some of the guns may have been OP like the ACR, Type-25, and the AK gun. (Although the recoil canceled out its unstoppable damage). In Black Ops 2 however, the ARs have no advantage. They are beaten in every category.

Firepower: What a joke. The Scar's damage is the only one I can really believe in. My accuracy is pretty much on point, I only shoot from top half of the ribs up. Fair enough accuracy with each weapon in the category and every gun has a k/d above 2.0. Back to the firepower point though. I've been watching videos on YouTube that do range, damage, spray, and so on reviews on each weapon.

Let's start with the Mtar. This might my number one AR. It has wonderful iron sights and decent damage with no annoying recoil. It is decent with range but has crap damage at far. CAN'T SHOOT THROUGH ANYTHING.

The Type 25 is a piece. The fire rate is awesome but it seems to take a lot for me to kill them. The videos I've watched have said 6 at close but on my connections its 7. This is crap though, because the connections are so inconsistent.

The SWAT is crazy. The burst is probably one of my favorite burst weapons in Cod history. Thus in this game it doesn't matter. The SMGs will swarm and out power it. If you slap the select fire on it, the chances of survival increase.

Fal is almost flawless. ALMOST. The reload is stupid and it (Depending on the connections) is inconsistent at times.

The M27 is my worst AR based on stats. Everyone says it's good with the right attachments so I try it out. It fixes one problem but causes another to arise. I hate the amount it takes to kill at long ranges. LMGers will drop you by the time you fire the required amount of rounds.

SMR is confusing too, I never get it right. The Iron Sights are so bulky and if you don't start shooting the target lower the recoil sends it straight up.

The M8A1 I hate the most. The burst is 4 rounds, which should be high in damage, takes on average 2 bursts to kill. That's 8 rounds. To much for a burst. Slap on a Select Fire and it's still numerous rounds.

The an94 is an ak47 wanna be. Dumbass looking iron sights. Sporadic recoil. Damage isn't as good as it should be.

Range isn't a factor in this game. Spawn flips, small maps, SMGs/LMGs ruin the range. You can take a PDW57 silenced, play on long open range maps (Carrier/Turbine) and still out gun a AR. Don't try to say ya can't. If I can, you can.

Fire power, as I meant to talk about before I trailed off a little bit, is terrible. Today's CoD games are horribly designed in online connection. We all have experienced the famous lag comp or some type of lag. Today it seems that the only way to win a gun battle is to have a lag advantage. My ARs are super inconsistent, some games I kill three guys in one mag, other times I only kill one with half of a mag. Even if I shoot him/them in the same locations, but when it comes to shooting through objects. . . Wow. Dry wall and glass are the weakest things in an map environment to a bullet. Why can't my bullets penetrate them? Must I really use FMJ? If it was concrete or a full sized mini van body frame sure.

Reloads are sometimes just dumb. I understand it's cool to add a little flash but they take a little long. Fast mag is good but a waste of a better attachment.

The iron sights are pretty decent until the recoil comes in. They really ruin the peripheral of the shooter when engaging. They should be simple like the SMGs.

These are just some off of the head things I dislike about the ARs I can think of at this time. They defiantly can use some work and should be evened out with the other weapons.

• Re: Assault Rifles are weak!
    Proclaimor

I have to agree with the M27 being inconsistant. It looks like an M4, so I want to like it, but it is feast or famine with that gun depending on my connection. I think you will have much more success by adding sights to your rifles. Try an EO tech and laser sight on that MTAR for precision at range and unbelievable hip fire.

vims1990

From my goal to reach diamond assault rifles, The only Assault Rifle I've struggled with so far is the M27.

Other than that, the rest of the assault rifles are fine in my opinion.

rdnsnow

Diamond ARs were the first thing I got diamond and the M27 is actually my favorite and first to get gold. I think its better then what the stats in the game say. However, I have always been a big fan of ARs in all the cod games. Im working on SMG diamonds right now and they dont feel right to me. I guess its just in the eye of the beholder.

TheSurgeon83

Simples.

Play HC, ARs rule. M8A1 is my weapon if choice, one burst every time, apart from extreme ranges.

M27 is also a very popular one, good fire rate and probably the most accurate fully auto AR.

mike\

In my opinion, at least, the AN-94 is the best gun in Black Ops 2. A fast reload time, with an average fire rate makes it one of the only Assault Rifles where your first instinct isn't to slap on Primary Gunfighter. It is also, due to it's secondary effect in which the first two bullets of each round are fired faster, extremely deadly when burst fired at range, as well as consistently killing in 4 shots at closer ranges.

The MTAR plays similarly without the upside the AN-94 has.

I love the M27 and Type-25 for objective play, but they will cruelly have you searching for a Scavenger bag 50 points short of VSAT when played more cautiously.

The FAL handles significantly better than the SMR when using Select Fire, but the SMR blows it out of the water when used as a Semi-Auto weapon (more reliable 2-shot-kills). Trigger finger is OP. Not enough experience with the SWAT or M8A1 to give you any reasonable comment regarding those.

Scar-H is deadly with practice (recoil mitigation). I fear profficient Scar users above all else.

I'm not doubting your ability, but perhaps give maybe the AN-94 or Scar-H another go?

They're only weak if you don't know how to use them! My gun with the highest kd which I actually have a lot off kills with is the Fal. That gun is leathal if used right! Theres a time, place and situation to use all different types of guns in this game! The people who cry for the nerf hammer the most tend to be one trick pony's who use one gun for all situations then start booing when there not doing well!

I am saving the Fal to be the last gun I work on for Diamond as I know if I use it I wont go back to the others lol, Working the M8 at the moment Scar type 25, M27, Swat, Mtar all Gold, The Mtar is a ridiculous weapon for so early in the game, it really is a monster if used correctly imho.

ooOutraageousoo

I really like the ARs in BO2.

Ironically I find the M27 really nice indeed. Very managable recoil with it's slow fire rate. I think the main problem is that Snipers and SMGs are so good it makes the ARs look bad by comparison.

If you are being out sprayed by LMG users, then that is either just bad luck or they are pretty good with the gun and have a range advantage perhaps.

The type 25 with Quickdraw, fast mag and grip is awesome

I would personally recommend you give this a go - when burst firing to shoot a target at distance i can take down enemies in 4 bullets - and the rate of fire and what i believe to be good damage in it can be lethal at short distances as well

I know one thing. If you play Core which I hate with a passion, then you will undoubtedly get fed up with the assualt rifle. Any of them. The only time I play Core is with friends and having to shoot someone 5 times to put em down is a joke. That being said I 99% of the time play only HCTDM or HCKC and I think Assault Rifles rule those modes. Albeit SMG's are OP on the game altogether. Using quickdraw, fast mags and dexterity I can hang with any SMG. It is all about reaction and Straffing. Right now I am working on the M27 and having a problem with Headshots, but my two favorite AR are Type 25 and the FAL. The FAL pretty much eliminates hit markers in HC although you still get them from 10 feet away at times, but that is just what I am seeing on my screen whereas if I was able to see from the guy who took the hitmarker and killed me sees. I probably never even fired.

The biggest joke on the game are Pistols. They are nothing but mini FAL's. I hate being killed by them.

SitRepPro

ThatCodGuy33 wrote:

The M27 is my worst AR based on stats. Everyone says it's good with the right attachments so I try it out. It fixes one problem but causes another to arise. I hate the amount it takes to kill at long ranges. LMGers will drop you by the time you fire the required amount of rounds.

So they should.  This isn't BO1 where ARs excel at ranges where they shouldn't.

Beast_Of_America

ARs are SUPPOSED to be all purpose. I.E. M27 would be the equivalent of the ACR/Commando anywhere else. If it took 1-2 less bullets to kill, it'd be an ACR carbon-copy.

The M8A1 was AMAZING when the game launched. Of course, it was one of the first and the only AR to be nerfed. Ever since, the damn thing just sucks. I still love the AN-94, though it could stand for a ROF increase. SLIGHTLY. The SCAR is good also.

The ony reason most of these ARs seem so lackluster is because the maps are just too... *******... small.

ValleyYeti

nope.  the AR are supposed to be the jack of all trades (master of none).  they should be overpowered by LMG's at range and SMG's up close.  the beauty of the Jack of all trades is that they CAN do anything and fire at all ranges, but to ask them to outperform a weapon that was designed for that range of combat is both silly and a little ignorant.

SitRepPro

No, the OP seems to want ARs to win at ranges where SMGs and LMGs should.  The LMGs suffer from short ADS times, even with quickdraw, and they suffer significant damage drop off at ranges they should excel at, so there may be opportunities for an AR to win long range engagements they probably shouldn't, e.g. when two players ADS the same time.

http://symthic.com/cod-bo2-weapon-charts#00010000ncnn0

All AR users need to do is choose engagements more carefully.  The maps are not that small but they do favour more sight lines where SMGs dominate compared to MW3 and BO1.

obzi

SMGs rule most of the time but I don't think the ARs as bad as the OP is saying.

The AN-94 is a very good gun as is the Fal, I even tried the MTAR for the first time ever last night after reading so many bad things and I was surprised how good it was, it was no where near the disaster I was expecting.

I've been doing pretty well with the Swat recently too.

randomhero204

Since the title update the smr is better then the fal while using select fire ( key to these 2 are silencers!)

The m8a1 is the best ar.

M27 is old reliable..accuracy >>>power.

An is solid, no complaints here.

The type, I have to be on point but I love the dps.

Scar has been my new baby, I put on a stock with a silencer and I'm unstoppable!

Mtar is deadly when busting (they upped the 3 shot kill range recently) bursting is your friend.

Swat...yuck...

Source: 12 days played 99.99% of which has been played in real cod, aka core.

iKushtyy

I think Assault Rifles are brilliant. I will admit, I am slightly biased, because I have always used and liked AR's. My one biggest tip for Assault Rifles is: ALWAYS USE A STOCK. Also, I look out for good irons on a gun, so I don't have to waste a slot on an RDS. Now, as I've got Diamond for them, I know how they all behave.

The MTAR is a well rounded, balanced weapon. No massively strong points, but no weak points either. Jack of all trades, master of none. And really clear irons. I'm increasingly finding that the MTAR is my favourite weapon.

The Type 25 is currently my favourite weapon. Good accuracy, good fire rate, it's my go to SMG. 6 or 7 shots?? You've been watching some rather crap Youtubers then, I get 4 at long range, maybe something to do with that I aim for headshots, not toes.

The SWAT is awesome. Stick on Select Fire and Stock, and you've got a brilliant weapon for all ranges. Damage and accuracy is high. Good irons, but as it's a long rage weapon, I stick an ACOG or Hybrid on it.

FAL is wicked. High damage, low recoil, good irons. Much better than its brother the SMR.

M27 is weak, granted, but great for getting headglitchers, and you can still use your irons.

SCAR-H is a headshot machine, I got Gold so quick because of it's Headshotting capabilities. Also, I can 3 shot kill at extreme range. Select fire, to a point, remedies the recoil. Clear irons.

SMR, I will agree, is confusing. It has no place when the FAL outclasses it in every way. Also, cluttered and rather chunky irons.

M8A1 is fantastic. Spam the trigger and the burst fire dosn't become a problem. The bursts can be fired so quickly, compared to the SWAT, and accuracy is second only to the M27. Only downsiode is rather horrible irons. I gotta use a RDS or Hybrid with the M8A1, but as it's also a long rnge weapon, that's OK.

AN-94, like the SCAR, is a headshot machine. Like the MTAR, it's a Jack of all trades. It does have clear irons, but for some reason I don't like them.

ThatCodGuy33 wrote:

Range isn't a factor in this game. Spawn flips, small maps, SMGs/LMGs ruin the range. You can take a PDW57 silenced, play on long open range maps (Carrier/Turbine) and still out gun a AR. Don't try to say ya can't. If I can, you can.

Fire power, as I meant to talk about before I trailed off a little bit, is terrible. Today's CoD games are horribly designed in online connection. We all have experienced the famous lag comp or some type of lag. Today it seems that the only way to win a gun battle is to have a lag advantage. My ARs are super inconsistent, some games I kill three guys in one mag, other times I only kill one with half of a mag. Even if I shoot him/them in the same locations, but when it comes to shooting through objects. . . Wow. Dry wall and glass are the weakest things in an map environment to a bullet. Why can't my bullets penetrate them? Must I really use FMJ? If it was concrete or a full sized mini van body frame sure.

Reloads are sometimes just dumb. I understand it's cool to add a little flash but they take a little long. Fast mag is good but a waste of a better attachment.

The iron sights are pretty decent until the recoil comes in. They really ruin the peripheral of the shooter when engaging. They should be simple like the SMGs.

These are just some off of the head things I dislike about the ARs I can think of at this time. They defiantly can use some work and should be evened out with the other weapons.

I understand about the FMJ complaint, but that's to do with the map design. But I have to say, none of the AR's have recoil that is that bad. The SCAR-H is the worst, and that is still manageable. And those flash reloads (FAL and AN-94), I find I don't need Fast Mag for those because the flashy reload is quicker than a normal reload for anything else. As another point, now I'm going for Diamond SMG's and I'm struggling. PDW-57 and MSMC are good, the rest, they have no range. And I will concede it's because I don't know how to use SMG's. Maybe you just don't know how to use AR's??

EDIT: If you're struggling and looking for Attachment ideas, I have my tried and tested setup. For my Type 25 and MTAR, I run the same setup. Fast Mags, Stock, and Suppressor. Fast mags makes reloads quicker. The Stock enablesfasher movement when ADS'ing, like Stalker from MW3. The Suppressor, aswell as hiding you from the mini map, also reduces the muzzle flash (main reason I use it), so you can see where you're aiming.

QwertyBoredom

just a random small bit of info, the AN-94 is not surposed to be an AK, also that reload Animation is not for "flash" thats how soldiers are trained to reload it in real life, same with the FAL.

Beast_Of_America

iKushtyy wrote:

I think Assault Rifles are brilliant. I will admit, I am slightly biased, because I have always used and liked AR's. My one biggest tip for Assault Rifles is: ALWAYS USE A STOCK. Also, I look out for good irons on a gun, so I don't have to waste a slot on an RDS. Now, as I've got Diamond for them, I know how they all behave.

This isn't always true. I sometimes find the Stock allows me to move too fast. It makes it a little more difficult to line up a shot if you're strafing too quickly.

Some ARs are better if you move more slowly and take your time.

MrCoates28210

Mtar: For a while I thought this was the best assault rifle, since holding it, meh, it's good, but just not good enough to be the best.

Fal: Old reliable for me, would work better when using toughness though, so you don't miss one of those precious 3 shots

M27: For me, it's a big contender for the best AR, reliable accuracy and deliver decent power, easy to use and fast handling.

M8a1: No where near powerful enough for what it should be.

An94: had decent killing capabilities, but compared to the other ARs the recoil was too much, could have been the best if it had that long range capabilities.

SWAT: is another big contender, easy to use, decent handling and deadly.

xmrythem

so far this week i've seen

shotties are weak

pistols are weak

smg's are weak

ar's are weak

lmg's are weak

shotties are OP

pistols are OP

smg's are OP

ar's are OP

lmg's are OP

c4 sucks

c4 is OP

stickies are under powered

stickies are OP

target finder is OP

i'm sure there is more, but thats just what i've seen.

STOP WHINING

r33k

SMR is BEAST. 2 shot kill. dont like the irons? use a reticle.

phxs72

I have a better kd with my ARs than my SMGs.  The ARs are fine in the game.  The fact that other guns still can kill an AR user doesn't make ARs underpowered.  However, it does take more skill to use them effectively in BO2 than it did in BO1.  In BO1 ARs didn't have a counter.  They worked just as well up close as they did from across the map.  In BO2 each gun type has distinct ranges in which they excel.  Not that they can't be used outside of those ranges by a skilled player but they will do best when used within their effective range window.

You should revisit the SMR.  It's very easy to get headshots with it once you master its recoil and it's a 2 hit kill at most ranges which is better than almost every gun in the game.

parnezzi

honestly i think you just suck and are trying to blame the gun for your short commings, and lol AN-94 being an AK wannabe.

just a fyi the AN-94 is the upgraded version of the AK-74, which is a upgraded version of the AK-47.

Razed88

I agree but I don't think it's too much the weapons (I think the ARs are noticably more powerful) but it's the lag that does it for me. The power is good but the lower fire rate seems to have a negative effect against SMGs that are shooting far more rounds.

I haven't properly used the M8A1, AN94 or SMR because I prestiged straight away and haven't played enough to get to the top of Prestige 1 (annoyed at lag and resetting profiles etc).

MTAR: A good all rounder but I hate how it looks. Unfortunately I'm picky like that and just got annoyed and having a big tubular lump on my screen .

Type25: My favourite by far and the only weapon I've got gold camo on. The high fire rate does make it difficult to handle and the range sucks but I use the fire rate to it's advantage and kit it out like an SMG. Silencer and Fast Mags with Lightweight perk. Handles like a powerful SMG.

M27: I like this too. The problem is it doesn't really fit in anywhere. The range feels even worse than the Type25 and the fire rate lower. It is nice to use with a silencer though.

FAL: I really like this. I love using semi-auto rifles and always liked the FNFAL in previous titles. Problem is it's great with select fire but I'm at such a disadvantage against SMGs and with lag that I don't have the patience to unlock the attachments.

SCAR-H: If I'm honest this feels just like a FAL with select fire. Packs a punch but it has a very low rate of fire.

SWAT: Agree with you - it is an amazing weapon. 3 round burst is incredible when there's no lag and it seems good with any attachment. Select fire is the best though. The fire rate in full auto is really good so it makes it very worthwhile.

It just depends on your play style. This game is very rush freindly, the pdw and msmc are used, generally all SMS for their high motability, 3 shot kill range and hipfire. In previous cods people rushed with ars, they where considered the go to weapon. In black ops 2 they are good for long range engagements.

P.s, the scar h is good and the an94 is the best ar. Pretty much reskinned and resounded ak47 from previous cods.

Myramuff

Yea yea yea yea. More complaining.

Izjar11

I read your rant, but will only address this one part < Which sums it up >

Assualt Rifles are absolutely useless and have ruined my favorite part of the game

AR are useless in the wrong hands,

Powerful and dominating in the CORRECT players hands.

enough said.

xmrythem

Izjar11 wrote:

I read your rant, but will only address this one part < Which sums it up >

Assualt Rifles are absolutely useless and have ruined my favorite part of the game

AR are useless in the wrong hands,

Powerful and dominating in the CORRECT players hands.

enough said.

what if you don't have hands?

MIND BLOWN

nicedrewishfela

This thread is blasphemous.

The Assault Rifles are amazing in this game. Got them diamond and miss using them as I am working on other classes.

LordPookums

I will throw out some hints since some players seem to be confused about these weapons:

AN-94: Attachments don't matter. What matters is accuracy and bursting the weapon. Its not a weak weapon. It requires you to get accurate bursts on your opponent. If you do, there are few weapons that can defeat it. Practice your burst.

SMR: This is the strongest overall weapon in the game period. Not maybe. Period. If you have trouble with irons, equip a reticle and your problems will go away. Master the semi fire and strafe + semi. Snipers who do not kill SMR users immediately die immediately. Shotgunners who do not kill SMR users immediately die immediately. Everyone else pretty much has to flinch you or get the drop on you to kill you once you master it. Even SMG users. The exception's are the skorpion or Hamr. Maybe a predrawn close range QBB.

Fal: Its SMR with slight differences. It used to be SMR's slight superior. It is now SMR's slight inferior. Its easier to use than the SMR, but it falls in the 3 bullets range a fair amount of time. Practice on this before jumping to the SMR if your having trouble.

M8A1: Its burst kind of sucks. Its accurate though. Only use its burst at longer ranges. Equip select fire for all other ranges. Its automode is a beast.

m27: It is a laser. If you are looking for the strongest overall damage or quickest kill weapon to abuse the m27 is not your weapon. It however, can be held down for as long as you want and is easy to control. Use this weapon to maintain your target on an enemy at any range. This is where the m27 shines. The motto of this weapon is "accuracy is king". I would probably equip scavenger as a perk and fast mags as an attachment if you want to use this weapon. It lets you remain in battle almost constantly with that setup.

SWAT: Deadly burst...deadly but hard to control auto. If your looking for a superdeadly weapon that is a little finnicky or hard to time perfectly, the Swat is your weapon. Equip a sight with a reticle. It makes kills much easier.

MTAR: I would call this the average AR. No weakness, no real strength. It can kill quickly, but its tendency to shoot in circles makes a few bullets miss. Attachments are not a big factor in this weapon. If you just want a weapon and class with no downside...equip this weapon.

SCAR: STRONG...but serious... bad recoil. Shooting players around cover at long distances can be quite iffy. Long distances without cover are usually ok...unless at longshot ranges. All it really needs is a reticle.

Type25: I saved this last for a reason. Even after the patch I used to hate it. I however found a perfect setup that makes this weapon a beast. It now matches my SMR k/d. This weapon is ENTIRELY dependant on the attachments. In fact, I would say primary gunfighter is almost a necessity to bring out its true potential. It has two downsides:

1. annoying recoil.

2. low ammo count for its weapon speed.

I found that with this combination: primarygunfigher Stock, Grip, Extended Mag. All of its deficits disappear.

The Stock, aside from its obvious natural benefit...is a large boon to the type25. Its fast fire rate allows you to flinch enemies like a pro.and it lets you get spray-shots on target better than any non-skorpion user...and at any distance no less. This weapon was born to strafe shoot. Side-to-side strafe with only a minor correction to nearbody shots will result in you hitting and flinching them effortlessly. The stock as known...also slightly improves recoil.

The grip seems to work better on the type25 than most other weapons. Combine it with the stock and its recoil virtually disappears. Its almost as accurate as the m27 with both of these on the type25. Still not perfect...but anything short of longshot range and you can basically keep the trigger down and stay on target.

Extended mags is a huge boost to the type25. It lets you shoot as long as other automatics with it on. Given its already fast fire rate and lowered recoil...and you will kill faster and can even take out multiple opponents better than any AR I have found. The added ammo + strafe advantage lets you multi-flinch and switch kills with ease. It essentially becomes a miniature LMG with better strafing and ADS abilities.