28 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 3:27 PM by SeraphOne RSS

Lag compensation problem - frustrating, I can't be that bad!

ush285t

Lag compensation is a real problem for me, but I still love the game - its even more of a challenge knowing I'm at a disadvantage, so every kill means a lot more to me.

The lag compensation problem is constant and consistent for me. It is frustrating the number of times I drop dead the instant I see the edge of someone appear round a corner, then in the replay they walk out slowly take some time to aim at me and empty a clip into me as I seem to saunter towards them blissfully unaware that some Merc is emptying an MSMC into me. Or I start to empty a clip, on target, into the back of someones head just to watch then turn round aim and drop me with a single shot. This happens in almost every game!

The below article describes lag compensation in a similar multiplayer engine (Valve) which uses similar lag compensation logic - it might help explain the problem to the doubters.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Lag_compe nsation

I have 78MB/s up / 20MB/s down fiber internet with low contention ratio and low latency for local servers. I've measured latency to the XBOX live servers and game host during games, so I know I have excellent network latency during the game (some network sniffing to watch online game network traffic and nping to measure latency to servers). The only conclusion for me is that lag compensation is over compensating, or the online games are plagued by hackers.

For a living, I build ultra low latency exchange trading systems for financial services, this often includes latency compenstation to create an equal playing field in the financial markets or to try and beat latency compensation systems to get an edge in the market - we measure latency in nanoseconds and if we get it wrong we know all about it from the irate trading firms that have just lost $MM's. Maybe treyarch should take a look at how financial markets handle latency and jitter normalization, and nanosecond accurate clock synchronization.