30 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2013 3:50 AM by rickydaxavier RSS

In the words of Jay Puryear (Treyarch) whos states in your 'Noob to Veteran' video "If your not having fun then what's the point"

rickydaxavier

Truer words never spoken!

I would like for someone within Activision who has a keen sense of right and wrong and the power to instigate change to tonight sign-in and observe/listen to gamers as they play. They will find instances of people complaining their way through games, consistently drop-out in disgust at frame-rate and lag, lose heart and enthusiasm as they join yet another game where their team is hopelessly unbalanced and taking a beating, scream when they have completely knifed through someone they know should have died, shout as they die to someone they have already shot several times and so on. They will discover the we are not having any fun at all. The fun now has been replaced by frustration and anger.

I am proud to be classed a 'mature gamer' and as such this means I've enjoyed many years playing many games and the one thing that keeps me coming back is the element of fun. I sit here fondly reminiscing over days of old when playing COD Modern Warfare absolutely thrilled, absolutely captivated, absolutly satisfied. The live chatter was full of excited people discussing tactics and laughter. I remember playing on my own for hours with the same gamers as nobody ever wanted to drop-out. I remember being gutted as I realised it was 04:00 in the morning and had to turn-off to as I had work in the morning. I remember actually arranging with gamers I did not even know to meet meet-up the next night. All this has been lost over the last 2 years culminating in BO2 an un-finished, sub-standard release.

The brief here is a simple one; you aim, you shoot, you kill. You use this basic principle to work together to achieve assigned objective. But for BO2 this is how it now works on say...a game of Domination on Nuketown 2025:

1. You quickly cap your home flag.

2. If you are lucky someone (not you though) has been brave enough to cap the B Flag

3. With LMG and Target Finder safely in your arsonal to proceed to lay prone next to your spawn for the entire game and pop the enemy with minimum     amount of skill diplayed.

4. You win.

5. You look for another game as nealry everyone has dropped-out

This morning was the last straw when I turned on BO2 to be greeted by reminders of forthcoming DLC and ways to purchase Season Passes. The fact that you shamelessly continue to plug said DLC whilst ignoring our current major issues and experiences speaks volumes to any reasonably intelligent person.

Your contempt is deplorable, your greed unforgiveable and your strategies for extracting money from us unethical. I find it incomprehensible that you cannot anticipate and fix for such issues pre-release so as such have now lost this 'mature gamer' with no hope of me ever spending my hard-earned cash on forthcoming DLC or COD titles.

I sincerely hope that others follow my example and abstain from purchasing your DLC planned for 28/02/13.

Thank you.

• Re: In the words of Jay Puryear (Treyarch) whos states in your 'Noob to Veteran' video "If your not having fun then what's the point"
    rc10mike

Like you I have played this series since the beginning, and like you I no longer find any excitement with this game as I once did.

x2 on everything you said...

The golden days have passed.

• Re: In the words of Jay Puryear (Treyarch) whos states in your 'Noob to Veteran' video "If your not having fun then what's the point"
    BukLau101

Treyarch didn't design this game to be fun. This is not a game for the casual pubstomper (whether running in a party or not). This game was designed to be competitive and it was designed with MLG gaming in mind, couple this with lag, boring maps etc. it can be a very unenjoyable experience. I'm not saying you can't have fun but sometimes this game can get very boring which is a shame because 3arc did alot of good things with it.

phxs72

I would like to compliment you on your well written post.  While I agree and disagree with you at different points, I do appreciate that it was well put together.  I believe what is missing in all of the posts of this type is the fact that you do have fun playing the game.  Otherwise you wouldn't bother with it.  Certainly there are moments throughout an evening of play where things do not work properly (both positive and negative) but by in large you have fun playing.  I'm sure as a mature player, you are well aware that not every complaint by a teamate is justified.  Many a time I've seen players go down in gunfights that they had no chance of winning and cry that the game is broken.  When in reality they were the ones at fault for their death.  It's not that the game runs perfectly because it doesn't.  But I would venture to say that more of the "games" issues have to do with egos than actual issues and this I'm sure creates some difficulties for the devs to determine what is a real problem and what is just someone upset over getting killed.  Yes there are times when you just can't seem to get on the good side of the connection battle and those times are quite frustrating but having played this game pretty much everyday since launch, I can say that I've had substantially more good times than bad.  However, if your experience has been different then you really shouldn't purchase the DLC.  There is no point in spending money on DLC if the core game isn't providing you enough fun.

rickydaxavier

Thanks phxs72 however I think you should credit the majority of gamers these days with a modicum of intelligence and not just put it down to the moanings of disgruntled, un-skilled players. I think that most of us can tell when something is 'not right' in terms of hit-detection and registering hits of 4:1 or instances when they die whilst already retreated around a corner with killcams that clearly confirm their initial feeliings.

I did not want to clutter my post with a long list of already well documented issues but these isssues are well known to the devs you mention and indeed are not new. I feel I have given enough 'ironing-out' time after being in the game for some years.

As a 'mature gamer' I have never felt the need to 'not spend money' on any other title, DLC or otherwise upto now.

Also I readily accept the trials and tribulations that undoubtedly occur with most titles as I am not naive to expect perfection. But for me this is unacceptable from a seasoned series.

Cheers.

phxs72

Certainly there are issues within the game that should be fixed but likely never will be.  That is a fair point.  However, I'm sure that you've played in the same type of lobbies that I have and can attest that the maturity of the community is not as high as what it was back in the MW2 days.  The overwhelming majority of complaints that I hear in game (not all but most) are from people that had some gun or whatnot bugging them before the match even started.  I say this because they actually take the time to express it during the countdown.  So it comes as no surprise when they call every death that they receive unfair.  I know that I receive some unfair deaths and I know that I also receive some unfair kills along the way.  However, most of the time my engagements are pretty even or at least even enough to be acceptable.  That doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated with the unfair deaths but I can distinguish the larger picture and weigh my enjoyment or lack thereof of the game accordingly.  There is nothing wrong with two people drawing different conclusions about the same game as we each assign different levels of importance to each issue.  I appreciate and respect that the state of BO2 is unacceptable for you.

Your point of lag being an issue is spot on.  It's been with us for years though and I'm afraid that it's not going to go away.  I've seen both the good and the bad sides of it and while it is quite enraging when placed on the bad side of it, I personally have found that I can often change lobbies and get away from the issue.  For some the deaths taken during the laggy match (such as my 10 and 30 the other night) would be intolerable.  For me it's an annoyance as my stats are unimportant to me but because the majority of my time is spent in lobbies where I recieve a fair connection I still find the game to be enjoyable despite the lag.

rickydaxavier

Thanks phxs72 however I think you should credit the majority of gamers these days with a modicum of intelligence and not just put it down to the moanings of disgruntled, un-skilled players. I think that most of us can tell when something is 'not right' in terms of hit-detection and registering hits of 4:1 or instances when they die whilst already retreated around a corner with killcams that clearly confirm their initial feeliings.

I did not want to clutter my post with a long list of already well documented issues but these isssues are well known to the devs you mention and indeed are not new. I feel I have given enough 'ironing-out' time after being in the game for some years.

As a 'mature gamer' I have never felt the need to 'not spend money' on any other title, DLC or otherwise upto now.

Also I readily accept the trials and tribulations that undoubtedly occur with most titles as I am not naive to expect perfection. But for me this is unacceptable from a seasoned series.

Cheers.

Izjar11

This is a good post

The fact that you shamelessly continue to plug said DLC whilst ignoring our current major issues and experiences speaks volumes to any reasonably intelligent person.

I ended purchasing the MAPS out of the same reasons I always did, to get something new every so often from the game. But I agree there still remain issues with the game. Thing is to me, as a mature gamer when will things ever really be perfect? Probably never. So I said "f--ck it" and purchased them.

Your contempt is deplorable, your greed unforgiveable and your strategies for extracting money from us unethical.

Greed and their sales tactics is none of those two, but nicely said. Remember, we all have a choice to purchase or not

You make some good valid points, and if those players who feel the same, should follow your advice and not purchase anything more from them.

As a mature gamer, ive simply come to the conclusion that its a game and it will never meet my "standards" nor will it ever be similar to my first experience with COD. This game does though represent the evolution of the series into this competitive, no BS game. I welcome that.

Highwayman0226

Great post.  I'm still having fun with the game, even though the spawns are horrid, lag makes it unplayable most of the time and 9 of the maps are basically the same.  My enjoyment likely comes from playing with friends though, if no one is online, I play/do something else.  Most of friends are excited about the DLC, but I'm not sure I'm buying it just yet.

Like you, I feel the desire to make a great product has been replaced by over hyped marketing and greed.  There are just too many MAJOR issues with the game that are being ignored, yet Treyarch pushes the dlc like the game is perfect.  IF the issues were being fixed, I'd have no problem giving them more money for additional content, but it seems they are content with the game, as long as dollars keep rolling in.  I don't feel it's right to reward a company for making a sub standard game, and then not dealing with the problems that come along with it.

The community in general is terrible.  Every lobby is people playing loud music, little kids telling me to suck their genitals, rednecks dropping N-bombs..just total disrespect. 

hyper72

I finally reached master and i feel i don't wont to play anymore its been a ruff unenjoyable ride from the start... For treyarch to say the game is ready for people to spend there hard earned cash on buying the next lot of DLC maps is criminal... The game is so out of sync its a joke hence the large amount of quitters and i don't really blame them. Why would you stay in a game where your finding your shooting at enemy that are not really there.... Some kill cams I've watch and I'm shooting into objects where the enemy was or knifing in mid air and he already passed me shooting in my back.... Ive been a massive fan from the start of cod played them all and loved them all but this is a very bitter pill to swallow......very sad  :(

TRU11

im not buying any DLC till something gets fixed in this game when it comes to tha lagg and aim assist.

hyper72

Thousands will buy the DLC and i normally do..... But feel i will save my cash there is some other good games coming out soon what are going to get my attention and cash......I wont a fair working game not more smg guns and same old same old DLC maps.

4thAndFinalAccount

rickydaxavier wrote:

I sincerely hope that others follow my example and abstain from purchasing your DLC planned for 28/02/13.

Thank you.

I would like to take a stance with you on this one,"and will in future"(my actions will speak louder then my words) not only am I bored with this game/series and lack of support we get( we all know what a fast/how rampant this game has been from the strat cheatwise? this really bothers me!)and here's why this is how the convo goes about mid january.....

Bro: You getting the Season Pass?

Me: Nah F*%K that why would you want to buy DLC this game needs to be fixed before I give them anymore money

Bro:Oh ture I was going to shout!

Me:Ohh .... ok then (c'mon,who dosn't like a freebie?)

In all seriousness he and other family members/rl friends are the reason I brought since MW2 when it was "fun"most of them dont even play now they have move on (codwise) I can truly say,making the decision easy.

PS as I've said in previous post if there's not even a hint of DS for future titles they got to atleast try get them going cant go on milking it,my view anyway

Abrysaf

A decent post on here at last!

I have to agree. I started off on MW2 and had so much fun it was hard to put the game down even in the early hours of the morning

Then along came Blops and my NAT went from open to moderate (and has been ever since) and I had my first experience of lag. Treyarch also introduced stats which, in my humble opinion, was one of the worst things they could have done.

MW3 and the lag got worse - whole clips into someone with one or two hitmarkers at the end, just to be instakilled.

Blops 2, of course I still play it with my clan/friends but not for the "fun" I used to have on MW2. I've never hit max prestige on any of the games and I'm determined to do so this time (8th atm).  99.9% of the time I'm on the bad side of lag comp and it's pure frustration.  I don't mind loosing a gun battle or two when I know there are better players than me out there - fair play to them - but to shoot someone in the back and then be instakilled, be outgunned from halfway across the map when I'm using an AR by a SMG, shotgun or pistol (?) or to die from someone not even on my screen makes me think what's the point?

Sometimes you have to step backwards in order to move forward; wish the developers could understand that concept

Awesome post, everything deadly accurate especially the 2nd paragraph which I can relate to in its fullest.

Could not agree more.

deepfat

great post - anyone who buys the Map pack are deceiving themselves and insulting their intelligence, the game is broken, will never be fixed.

I have recently been on MW3, which is so much more fun, i dont know if i can be arsed to get to MP (9th lvl 40) , since MW i have never looked back - this is the first time i have gone back to the previous title, I will never buy another treyarch title, they have failed the PS community on three separate occassions.

JDizzleNO2

good post and i want to add:

to me there isn't an ounce of fair gameplay to be had. what i mean is even when i'm doing great, i don't feel like i earned it because the way COD is now its whoever is on the good side of lag wins. im constantly seeing examples on how i'm either two seconds behind or some guy shot me first and i got the kill.

i actually started to notice this in mw2, although it wasn't quite as bad as mw3 or bo2. in modern warfare if i got my ass kicked then i said they were good, and vice versa. nowadays with the way its set up and the lag/lag compensation there isn't any satisfaction of beating your opponent.

i think thats one of the key issues missing in new call of duty's, that satisfaction of working hard and finally doing good and beating the opposition.

I agree with every thing you sad and would like to point one more finger at the players (mostly 22 years old and under ) that want to argue and complain about how everyone else in the lobby played. There was a time when it was all for fun, but now after the game everyone has an axe to grind and that just sucks. I have to admit I get sucked into it to when some one cusses me out after a game instead of muting hem I respond and that's on me, but I thank we all would have more fun if we just left other players style alone.    

rickydaxavier

All the well documented BO2 issues where present whilst playing last night and so (feeling nostalgic) I decided to pop in MW3. I joined my first game of KC and guess what?...I stayed there for the next 2.5 hrs playing against the same group of people and had tremendous fun, nobody dropped out. The gameplay mechanics felt luxurious in comparison to BO2. Most games where at tight affair and went down ot the wire with laughter and tactics a plenty from mic users. Everyone bought in to the concept of trying to win.The old scorestreak system ment that everyone contributed. Player movement felt crisp and concise, there was also a great feeling of weight and balance when traversing. You could feel the differences on each weapon with the disadvantages/advantages finely balanced. The interpretation of range was present, hit-point detection was brilliant. Sure MW3 plays slighly lower but this only enhances the experience giving way to mature gaming not absolute, un-skilled chaos. It was flippin' great, I had no lag, no WTF moments, every kill/death felt fair and earned. Every shot in the face ended in death, every misplaced shot ended in survivial, snipers where snipers who had to work hard for there kills. I could go on-and-on about how good MW3 was in camparison.

Then I turned back to BO2. I joined a game and immediately died 5 times in 10 seconds before I could even figure out what side I was on. The game was overrun by grenades and scorestreaks. The game was Hardpoint but my team had given up trying to cap hardpoints on the opposing side and simply just sat back waiting for the harpoint to spawn on our side of map. Guys with Shotguns where running around with olympic speed killing people from shots fired half a mile away. It was frantic, ruderless noise. When it was over most droppped out. In the last three months I cannot remember playing a game with the same players for more than one game, it has become the norm to spend half of your time trying to get into a game from the beginning. Nobody plays a game to its conclusion unless they are hammering the opposing team. I am fed up with this, I would rather be made to wait for a game from the beginning then constantly being placed into a hopeless games where nobody stays!

It's 2013 but for me gaming has gone backwards with us all accepting these below par releases. Why should I alter my router, set up a DMZ, or look at getting a better internet connection. I have had the same connection for the last 8 years and never had any problems with online gaming before. It has also become the norm for Developers to blame us for our experiences rather than themselves. They put put no effort into quality and all their efforts into quantity with yearly money-spinning releases and expensive DLC.

I hope that COD online numbers will continute to decline then maybe these guys might realise that they simply cannot carry on treating us with such contempt. Everywhere forum you look at is filled with gamers who realise that this is not right. This forum is filled with posts from gamers who know that this is not right. We take the time to post our comments/suggestions in the hope that maybe they will be taken serioulsy and used as a basis for future improvements but instead they are met by ignorance and no ackwowledgement. Prolonged media-silence from the those within, no explanation, no information in regard to updates, no nothing but there is plenty of information in regards to DLC and Seasonal Passes, etc. I have had enough!

I for one will maintain my boycott of BO2 DLC and future COD releases.

Thank you.