29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 4:06 PM by ValleyYeti RSS

Looking for sniping tips.  LMG user trying out sniping

ValleyYeti

last night for shitz and giggles, I tried out the recon class and loved it.  I used the xpr-50.  I am new to sniping but I did enjoy it.  I am used to using long sight lines.  I am definitely NOT a runner and gunner.  Sniping seems to be a good next project. 

I guess I am just looking for general tips on what works well together as far as perks/attachments and if there is a better sniper than the xpr-50.  I looked on elite and I have only been killed by the xpr 7 times, so people must be using a different one.  I am NOT looking to quickscope (yet?).  just getting started.

any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Yeti

• Re: Looking for sniping tips.  LMG user trying out sniping
    SitRepPro

Ballistics CPU, Dual Band, Variable Zoom is what I've used.  I don't really bother with a suppressor unless it's the DSR-50.  I don't really use many perks in sniping setups and don't use equipment but that might change as I'm sure Engineer use has gone down.

Brutalkillshots

Get into the habit of taking your thumb off the left stick when your going for a shot . Greatly increases your accuracy .

zIExorcist

ballistics cpu and suppressor are my top 2 attachments. the SVU-AS is easiest to use as it fires alot faster. if you use one of the others with a slower reload speed then try using fast hands to compensate.

i have a class set up with the DSR and it is set up as follows:

DSR 50 with suppressor and ballistics CPU

secondary weapon is the skorpion smg with no attachments (overkill wildcard)

perk 1: blind eye

perk 2: cold blooded + fast hands (perk 2 greed wild card)

perk 3: tactical mask

i play alot of hctdm and this set up can be deadly on the right map i.e. carrier.

ValleyYeti

so i am hearing a lot of DSR.  should I not be using the XPR-50?  I tried the DSR but i did much worse than when i used the XPR, probably because my aiming isn't as good as it will be.  the XPR allows me another shot quickly.   thanks for the tip on fast hands.  it is helping when i get crept up on.

any other tips?

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I use ballistics CPU and nothing else on my DSR. I assume you know the sniping perches since you're an LMG player. Most of my victims are fellow snipers and those who wander into open areas. I use an MSMC as my CQC weapon. I basically hangout from perches to perches and I pay close attention to the map to read where the enemies may be lurking. If I find myself behind enemy lines when the spawn flips, I whip out my MSMC and prepare for CQC action.

Sniping gives me a very rewarding feeling but be ready to have your KD take some hits specially when you're new to it.

ValleyYeti

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

I use ballistics CPU and nothing else on my DSR. I assume you know the sniping perches since you're an LMG player. Most of my victims are fellow snipers and those who wander into open areas. I use an MSMC as my CQC weapon. I basically hangout from perches to perches and I pay close attention to the map to read where the enemies may be lurking. If I find myself behind enemy lines when the spawn flips, I whip out my MSMC and prepare for CQC action.

Sniping gives me a very rewarding feeling but be ready to have your KD take some hits specially when you're new to it.

thanks for the input.  I am pretty familiar with the spots as they are almost the same for LMG.  my k/d wasn't fabulous to begin with so i rarely even look at it.  I just love to have fun and there is nothing quite as fun as a OHK Longshot!  curious as to what scorestreaks you use when sniping?

CowboySr

Im a 4.69 with the XPR so heres the ultimate setup

R870 with laser and longbarrel

Overkill

XPR with ballistics

Hardline, scavenger, engineer, betty.   run Hellstorm, lighting, sentry

enjoy

Ballista silenced and fast mag

Blind Eye

Cold Blood

Awareness

Secondary: any pistol

Lethal: Claymore or Betty, more or less for an indication if an enemy is coming more than a killer.

Tactical: I usually use Flash or Conc but sometimes Shock Charges.

Happy Hunting.

p.s. Once you unlock the Iron Sights, have a blast! If you get good, your teammates will wonder what gun you're using, and you'll just have fun in general `

CurliestRogue0

If you want to practice sniping w/ less risk of nosediving your kdr, try using the SVU on hardcore.  With the lower health of HC and the rapid fire of the SVU, I find it is a much more forgiving experience.  However if you really want to improve using this method, you need to force yourself not to abuse the SVU's fire rate.  Force yourself to take your time, hold breath, line up your first shot, and pull the trigger once.  If you miss, so be it, the SVU will let you get off a bunch more shots before your enemy adjusts to your position, giving you that cushion you need to get that kill before you get deaded.  But really line up that first one so that when you switch back to core and use a slower, more powerful rifle, your habits and muscle memory will be beneficial.

Houdnik

The XPR isn't bad, but it's got a lot of sway to it, and the same 1 hit kill area as the Ballista. (upper-chest, shoulders + head) The XPR is a little forgiving in this area since you can quickly pop off another shot, where the Ballista cannot.

With that said, the Ballista doesn't slow you down as much as the DSR or XPR,  it has a faster ADS, and it has the least amount of sway while in-scope (more accuracy). Still, it's a difficult weapon to use if you're new to sniping.  I would recommend the DSR-50, as it will give you a lot of kiills where the others will give you hitmarkers.

For the DSR-50, I would recommend spending a large amount of time in local matches against bots on recruit difficulty. Try small maps, with about 5-6 at first, and work up to 9 bots.

Try "drag scoping".  The DSR-50 is excellent at drag scoping compared to the other rifles. I have a few theories on this, but not worth mentioning. Just try it out yourself, and you'll see.  By the way, a drag scope is when you ADS, and immediately swipe + pop a shot.  It's intended to be a very fast motion, with little thought put into it.  At first, it's perfectly fine if you take your time with it. Speed will come later.  You will also ADS closer to your intended target as time goes on. Just make sure you always leave your scope before focusing on something new, or far away from your cross-hairs. It's much more efficient to leave scope, correct aim from the hip, and then refocus.

I recommend the following setup.

DSR-50 with Ballistics CPU + Laser sight.  The laser is great for knowing exactly where your rifle is aiming at before ADS, which brings me to another technique. Eventually, you will get so fast that you'll be able to correct your aim during the 0.4 second ADS delay.  Basically, you get an idea if you're to the right or left / above or below your target with the laser, and then you ADS + Drag Scope in one solid motion.  The end result looks like a quickscope, as your cross-hairs are usually on target by the time the scope is visible. Note, this takes quite a bit of practice. You can eventually drop the laser for fast mags, extended when this becomes second nature.

The DSR-50 is also much more enjoyable with LightWeight as Teir 1, as it slows your movement down quite a bit. It makes me feel much more nimble, and agile, as opposed to sluggish. If I'm playing Dom, I'll put on a Flak Jacket though.

My Teir 2 perks are Toughness + Fast Hands.  It's extremely difficult to ADS and shoot with a sniper if your being flinched, so Toughness is very useful.  Especially if you're in-scope and being shot, where even the smallest flinch can be the difference between landing a shot.

There's a lot of situations where players will suddenly appear up in your face, and Fast Hands will save your life every time. Especially if you're swapping to a pistol. Fast-Hands is also nice for tossing back frags, and using equipment quickly.

For Teir 3, I use Dexterity.  This is another perk that really helps snipers, as you already have a slow enough ADS time. If you don't feel like you'll be sprinting with your sniper out very much, then you might forego this for Tac Mask. I find that I'm constantly climbing ladders, and over objects trying to get to good sniping locations though, so that's also another bonus factor for Dex.

Hope that helps

ValleyYeti

holy cow!!  thanks for the great advice!

Razed88

Great advice. I never thought of using laser. In fact, I've picked up dropped DSRs with lasers before and always wondered why people would put a laser on it - "Who'd hip fire a DSR?" is what I thought.

I practiced against bots - I picked up from there that the DSR ADS's slightly to the right of the hip fire point so if you aim a little left you generally end up on target when the ADS kicks in, which helped with quickscoping. Although I still suck and I'm not good enough to contribute to my team if I'm using a sniper rifle. I will try out the laser tip against bots. Seems like it would help people understand the aim mechanics.

nflfenatic

Seems to me it should be easy transition for your playstyle however there are no target finder scopes for sniper rifles.

parnezzi

you should use the SVU it has absolutely no view kick and is the most forgiving of the snipers.

the XPR is to inconsistant for me compared to the ballista, the SVU will need 2 shots sure but at the speed you can spam the trigger and how much the scope will not move its a good choice.

even if everybody will hate you for using the spam sniper

jw415gvr

Why not just use an LMG with Suppressor + Variable Zoom + Fore Grip?  Burst fire with your trigger finger.  I use this "automatic sniper rifle" from across the map a lot.  That's because I'm the world's worst sniper.

TheSurgeon83

Despite what others have said I've actually found the XPR to be very reliable, even in softcore. I had a lot more success with that than the Ballista, as demonstrated below.

thebiindsniper

Big tip--don't be encouraged to quickscope just because you are mocked for "Hardscoping".  If you are hitting your target, you're on the right path.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

Adam1234567893

Have a silenced secondary and run Ghost and Cold Blooded and Toughness basically having a silenced secondary will make it easier to avoid detection either while moving or when someone gets in your area. As for the snipers if you are accurate go with the bolt action if not go with the semi automatic as for attachments it depends on what kind of sniping you are doing whether it is sniping while staying in the same spot or being a mobile sniper basically one of the best attachments is the Ballistic Scope if you can't see enemies go with either Dual Band or Variable Zoom if you have a hard to time with running out of ammo either go with Extended Clip or Fast Mags if you have a hard time killing people try FMJ.