14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 6:45 AM by BukLau101 RSS

COD and Strategy <for fun>

Izjar11

COD,

I have been a chess player for many years and its not an easy game nor is it for the weak. I tend to compare COD to chess in the following <inadvertently> it just happens and I wanted share some favorite quotes on these positions:

1- Opening: The shortcoming of hanging pawns <cough rushers> is that they present a convenient target for attack. As the exchange of men proceeds, their potential strength lessens and during the endgame they turn out, as a rule, to be weak

2- Middlegame: "Your only task in the opening is to reach a playable middlegame"

3- Endgame:  Even in the heat of a middlegame battle the master still has to bear in mind the outlines of a possible future ending.

Again, I post this for fun, just merely comparisons.

Peace.

• Re: COD and Strategy <for fun>
    BukLau101

If the rusher is comparable to a pawn does that mean the camper is comparable to the king, after all the king can barely move and often has to hide behind other pieces

Balthamous

The noobs are the pawns, the king the campers, rushers the knghts, outer rushers the rooks and the bishops are those random guys who go flawless :3

zvers

Izjar11, I've compared RTS and FPS games to chess before as well. It's very relevant because it's really the battle of minds. CoD is not different. You anticipate your enemies move to counter it (spawn, route of attack). You must think ahead to what you will do if any enemy attacks one way or another and how you will react to it. People always say: "CoD" is twitch shooter. Well, you can play the game like that but IMO, you won't get the best results by using that as your only strategy. This brings me back to the days of CoD2. No one ever thought that CoD was a twitch shooter back then. Sure, it's changed but the strategy of thinking through your moves still exists and those that choose to use this strategy will unfortunately be branded as 'campers' because they just outsmart the players that choose not to think several moves ahead.

BukLau101

I love SnD because it's all about the metagame.

zvers wrote:

it's changed but the strategy of thinking through your moves still exists and those that choose to use this strategy will unfortunately be branded as 'campers' because they just outsmart the players that choose not to think several moves ahead.

Unfortunately people will always blame anything else but themselves for failure. I consider myself a run n gunner but I don't play like a headless chicken, I like to be on the move but if I find myself balls deep in the enemy spawn I'll just camp it out untill it's safe to move on again and I also like patrolling high traffic areas and sometimes I'll just stop moving, take a look at the mini map and decide what my next move will be.