41 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2013 3:32 PM by KirikaRyoko RSS

HC vs Core

TIDE113

Title says it all. Just wanted to see which one people preferred and why. Try and keep it civil. I haven't really played HC but thought about trying it out.

• Re: HC vs Core
    rankismet

TIDE113 wrote:

Title says it all. Just wanted to see which one people preferred and why. Try and keep it civil. I haven't really played HC but thought about trying it out.

OP... you might want to consider rewording your subject. I know you aren't looking to start a flame war but...

I prefer HC. Less cluttered HUD, requires more tactical awareness and team communication, every gun is usable, no health fairy makes even jumping out a window something to consider doing.

Just my POV.

I prefer core, have played both.  I do use HC to rank up my weapons faster!

simonm

i play both ..used to hate HC but since my clan has started playing HCKC to avoid the laggy game issues , ive started to enjoy it alot more . still afew things i dislike about HC but thats for another days topic

VulcanArms

Core all the way.

hardcore is crap due to the amount of campers. i know ther are some hardcore guys reading this who dont play like complete *******, but the vast majority of hardcore games is people sat in corners, not moving, aimed at a door. nothing hardcore about it what so ever, cowards game of choice.

and dont get me strated on the team killing. bring back richochet, current sustem is crap.

CurliestRogue0

Agree there are more campers in HC, but I would not agree that it's the "majority" and certainly not the "vast".  It's usually worse when the match is clan-heavy.  If you end up in a HC lobby where the other team is primarily one clan, consider hopping on outta there.

mitpro

HC all the way.  More realistic.  Bullets actaully kill people.  Don't need to shoot someone 3 times and then he gets away and regains health(silly if you think about it).  Also, you have to be more tatically aware because minimap only comes when use it as a scorestreak.  If you shoot your teammate...he dies.  I'm not knocking CORE, but every aspect of HC makes this game more real to me.  You can't go 100-1 on any HC gametype.  Fastest reaction time and best strategy wins these games.

VulcanArms

i agree with you on a lot of points there, the actual mode, yea , its good, the majority of the people who play it dont think like you though, there looking for easy kills, and HC is good for that.

some of us are looking for easy deaths also.

i prefer hardcore.  have since cod4. to the point where i cannot play core anymore because i am so used to shooting in bursts.

if i shoot someone in the head, they should die.  plain and simple.

this game is supposed to be an emulation of actual combat, well, friendly fire happens in combat. no where in the real world can you spam grenades into a pile of people and the people on your side dont take damage from them.

also, i prefer having to hunt people instead of a mini map showing me where they are

hard core all the way.

SitRepPro

True but I can throw a sensor grenade at you and kill you that way.

xmrythem

try HC and you'll never go back.

I play HC to help mitigate the gunfight issues in BO2.  You only get the magically appearing assassins and not the unload clip and die thing.

The perception is that HC is campy.  It's a lot less campy than Core Domination IMO.

VulcanArms

well, id argue that "camping" in domination is part of that game mode, its an attack/defend game type, it makes zero sense to cap a flag and then then allow the enemy to take it. if u hold a flag, dig in. this isnt the case in HC tdm or kill confirmed, the objective requires you to navigate the map a lot more, so i frown on campers in that scenario.

Poolo

HC is the best much more fun imo should only take a a couple bullets to kill on a shooting game not 4 or 5 bullets and that sponge to the head crap wtf is that about ? and why do you need hud? just a better game hc you put up with the friendly fire now and again for the ability to kill more than two poeple per load of ammo....just opinion though but i would say give it a chance if you aint cos i did on mw2 and aint looked back

Restore_Hardcore

100  + days logged in HC and it plays like butter. Been playing core lately and can see why ppl complain about the game. Core is inconsistent and ppl confuse that with lag. Camping isn't a problem for me, HC has tons of rushers, too many who can't actually do it the right way.

adeadfox

I prefer core all the way, from my perspective the only reason HC even exists is to help with getting weapon camos. (Looking at you SVU-AS)

The biggest reason I dislike HC is because it just seems to "normalize" the skill gap. Really bad core players aren't as bad when playing HC and really good core players can't be as good in HC.

CurliestRogue0

Ha, the SVU is definitely OP in HC.  Rapid-fire instadeath.  Good times.  I rarely snipe, but when I do, that's what I use in HC.

I don't know if I agree on the skillgap assessment though, as you've stated it.  To me, it's more about a shift in skill requirement.  Core focuses on consistency of aim -- keeping that reticle on target long enough to get the 47 (lol) hitmarkers required for the kill.  HC focuses on awareness and reaction coupled with quickness of aim.

mitpro

Im not sure I follow. Although I respect your position on this, how would a bad core player be not-so-bad on HC? I have found the oposite.  My friends that play core hate HC because they think it is harder.  Typically the fastest and most skilled can play this gametype.  Its more about how you act, not react since you die if you get shot on HC.  Bad players are bad in any gametype.  I would argue that HC is harder because more skilled players play it(in percentage of skilled players playing HC/total players that play HC.  You dont see gameplays of 200-1 on any HC type.  Core is the base game mode so pretty much most noobs and not-so-good players play it.  Just my opinion.

adeadfox

It is easier to get kills in HC than core, that is pretty obvious, all you have to do is spam some bullets and you're bound to get some kills, will you do amazingly? Probably not, but you'll do a lot better than if you did the same thing in core. I'm not saying bad players in core AUTOMATICALLY become "good" players in HC, bad players are bad players in any gamemode. Bad players in core WILL get more kills in HC, it is just easier.

To me, HC is too "random" and less skillful. When you lower the time it takes to kill someone you're also lowering the skill gap between the players. If you compare the skill gaps between COD HC vs Halo for example, the difference between some really good at Halo and really bad at Halo is HUGE.

With low TTK games it becomes simply who saw who first, instead of who saw who first AND has superior movement/accuracy. HC eliminates skills a player playing core needs, such as being able to track a player while you and/or he is moving. This is why you don't see 200-1 HC gameplays, the game is too "random" and the skill gap has shrunk so much that the gamemode doesn't allow someone to be THAT much better than someone else.

Which is also why I don't buy the "HC is harder because more skilled players play it", I have numerous friends that play HC and they also happen to be really bad at the game, I ask why they like HC better than core, "I can't kill anyone in core".

HC is more noob friendly, you might say, "No there isn't any HUD, or any radar!", but I say big deal, the other team doesn't have that either, using the radar is actually a skill, seeing where your teammates are and deducing where the enemy probably is takes skill, a skill it seems much of the community lacks, but  isn't required playing HC.

CurliestRogue0

Definitely prefer HC, though I've only gotten into it over the last few weeks.  What initially brought me over was the lack of radar -- I really hate the existence of radar in Core.  Other than that, I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what makes me prefer it over Core, but I know for certain that in HC I spend 95% less time pissing and moaning over what seems to be BS kills.  HC has its frustrations, to be sure, but they seem to get under my skin less.

I guess I also like the confidence of knowing that if I take my time and really line up my shot, I'm gonna get that kill unless the bad guy lines up his shot first.  In Core, even if I see the guy first and get off the exact shot(s) I was hoping to, there's still a solid chance that he's going to survive and we're going to end up in the classic FPS strafe dance, firing full auto until one of us lands the deciding shot.

edit: one other thing is that I feel like HC tips the balance of power away from SMGs a bit.  I prefer ARs, so anything that balances that out a bit is a positive in my mind.

wtcwarrior

HC only needs 2 hits most of the time. Core? You shoot a guy 6 times, he hides behind a wall and gets his health back. HC, and Core BOTH have campers, just with HC less health makes it seem like they are camping more. In HC most people "CAMP" in all reality, they are hiding so they can reload lol. Core, people rely on the HUD, HC, def. more realistic. I used to be on core, but since I moved to HC I LOVE IT! granted, the one shot from a pistol thing kinda pisses me off. Core, watered down. BIG TIME! Get four hitmarkers on a guy and run thinking he's dead its like CRAP! I'm on core! lol

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Core all the way! I tried a couple of HC TDM and it's like easy mode for me. You just need to see the enemy first and fire your weapon first. You don't even have to be accurate and you just spray and pray. It just need a bullet or two to kill and you just adjust your aim as you spray.

Poolo

easy mode? you mean like having a mini map every second of the game, having to use a suppressor or get shown on the mini map to the whole other team every time you fire a bullet? seeing someone far away firing like 5 bullets into them and they hide behind a wall then come back with full health? i think hc is much harder to be better at imo, and spray and pray when someone is like a metre or two in front of you or you will die other wise trust me iv progressed through most of the cod games on hc using all the weapon types so i should know would say spray and pray is more core were you have to pray your ammo ammount lasts for the one kill.... theres my say like it or lump it im just backing up my hc corner

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I'm a Core player but I also do good in HC. It doesn't matter if I don't use a suppressor in Core, I want them to know where I am. I am not worried facing them face to face in a shoot out. I'm pretty good at it. I also have no problem getting 5-6 bullets in. I am accurate.

I brought everything I learned in Core and tried HC and I did good on those games. I find it easier in HC but that's just my opinion based on my experience.

SitRepPro

Sometimes not using stealth improves your game and gunskill.  It did with me in MW3.  Took off Assassin, put on Quickdraw, took out Dead Silence and put on SitRep.  How I enjoyed mowing down red dot hunters, who often used Assassin themselves, with my L86 grip and thermal.  No need to start chaining streaks from Pred onwards, just start with the Reaper but only call it in when the Pave Low is earned.  Awesome sauce.

You know the UAV gets called in quite a lot in HC?

phxs72

I'm a Core player but HC offers a different experience.  It's pretty fun as well once you get used to how it plays.  The friendly fire penalty alone will have you building your classes quite differently and some guns that you may have stayed away from in Core are ideal for the HC mode.  It's definately a good way to freshen things up.

nicedrewishfela

Its not a competition. Play what makes you happy.

HC all the way myself.

Restore_Hardcore

Both modes require skill, I talk crap about core but in reality it has it's own challenges. It comes down to preference, I prefer a more realistic experience and consistent game play. IMO HC needs to be more hardcore.

Pinja

I've really enjoyed HC but I found that the challenges I'm aiming for en route to PM were far more easily attainable via Core.

I've no doubt, however, that as soon as that is done I will be dropping Core and sticking with HC. I enjoy being first to react and as my aim seems to be quite good I enjoy coming away from an encounter/duel with a kill when I feel I should have.

I'm slowly moving through weapons challenges and really do enjoy the ARs as seeing as I've recently adopted a more mature strategy, the Chicom and Skorpion arent in the slightest to my liking. They don't suit my CoD philosophy anymore.

As much as I have enjoyed Core, now that ive completed challenges for most of the game modes and a few of the weapons, I really am excited about my future foray into HC, the strategy, the oppososition but most importantly the teammates. Being a solo player, I'm keen to explore HC teamwork before venturing into League Play.

Currently Prestige 7 Lvl 47 with a 1.02 k/d.

I never played hardcore until about a month ago when I joined my clan. They play hardcore and straight away I preferred it. When you shoot someone they actually die! It made it easier for me to get my diamond assault rifles coz if you shoot them in the head them BAM their dead, end of! Since playing hardcore I've tried playing core (revolution) and it is seriously like shooting cotton wool! Once you've played hardcore you will find it hard to go back to core definitely. There is something that really annoys me though, so many times I've been getting a care package and one of my team mates has shot me in the back so they can steal it for themselves! This isn't just a one off either it happens all the time! It gets me SO MAD!!! Yeah sometimes you accidentally shoot your team mate if they startle you or run in front of you whilst your shooting but blatantly killing you on purpose is bang out of order. That is the only thing I dont like about hardcore...oh and sometimes I'm wary of just wanging my grenades in case they kill my teammates! But all said and done HARDCORE ALL THE WAY!

mitpro

Solution:

Replace your granade with the black hat.  Throw your CP anywhere(even in the middle of the map).  Then you retrive it very fast from pretty much anywhere and the idiot you would have killed you runs out to get it and POP! Gets killed by the other team.  Thats how you do it my friend.  To play hardcore you must think hardcore.  Welcome to the club.  Stay thirsty....

Or:

Throw thepkg out of the map on purpose and you can still retreive it with the black hat.

I hear you on the grenades.  I just carry EMPs in HC.

blb128

I prefer core beause I enjoy gun battles. You dont get gun battles in hardcore because as long as your opponent can somewhat aim its all about who sees who first.

JimmahD

So im COD 1, yes the first one, I don't remember having to throw half a clip into someone. Two rounds would do the job. I think it was MW1 that started this whole 1 mag  one kill deal.

So core was designed for newer players to get used to the FPS genre. And is has snowballed from there.

blarkw

Hardcore all the way. Much better playing field and more options.

brsox

I play hardcore sometimes to rank up certain weapons or if I play with certain people. There is so much camping though which gets old fast. I prefer Core.

ghosthound

Hardcore > Softcore.

Softcore is what you play when you are new to CoD and require player assists.

Hardcore is what you play when you grow a pair.

cranium2001

Excellent response.

IGC_MrKnickers

I'm 100% behind HC. P.U.S.S.Y. core is for those afraid to die to easily and cant get more than a kill or two without needing to hide and heal. Only 50 cent has survived multiple gun shots at one time as far as I know, but I guarantee you that 5 seconds later he was not back on his feet as if nothing happened. I rarely use the minimaps because its very deceiveing unless you are using orbital. I also really hate that core players get the extra treatment in this game of being able to play all the game modes while HC only gets 4 what kind of bull S.H.I.T. is that? Core also has the characteristics of any beginning mode of any FPS game you have extra health in case you get surprised by an enemy giving you more time to react. HC requires a lot more skill cuz sometimes even if you don't see your enemy first he still has the chance to get you and it is far less likely to get the 20-30 plus kills in one life in HC because you have to be on the move at all times to avoid giving the enemy a chance to see you and cause a buzz kill.

KirikaRyoko

I prefer HC, at least in HC when I unload a whole clip squarely into someones chest and head at point blank range they die! (usually).

I wish they would add optional HC versions to the League Play Games as well.