25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 7:03 PM by zandusku RSS

Subject: Target Finder, BAD or GOOD

The infamous target finder one of the most used scopes in the game for long range weapons has always been a debatly subject among players but is it that bad or is it as bad as they make it out to be?

I could see it being good for people who have bad eye sight so that they can actualyl play the game if they are using long range weapons but I can also see how it makes people look scrubby if they are hiding in a corner while using the scope.

I would like to hear your opinions as well!

• Re: Subject: Target Finder, BAD or GOOD
    Highwayman0226

I personally don't like it.  It feels like I'm shoving my face in a box.  I like to stay moving, although I don't consider my playstyle "run and gun", and you are at a disadvantage with this attachment when you pull up around corners.  I guess if you ran overkill and used it on a long range weapon as a secondary it would be ok.

I DO use the TF on Carrier though.  I just can't pick people out on that map.  They blend into all the background clutter to me.

ElseAndrew

That's just the thing though IMO, I've seen people just sit in one spot all match with an LMG and the clips on those things are so big they can buy firing at a location for a good 30 seconds before running out of ammo... It's highly annoying and I hate it.

I refuse to play against it, everytime I do get killed off somebody using it I watch the kill cam and sure enough they're head glitching in a window - I instantly back out of the lobby and just let them continue there game but I refuse them let them spoil my enjoyment.

FLi_iNc

I did not like it before using it myself. Reasons why:

1) I felt its gives a advantage over people without it

2) People tend to camp with it

When i used it myself i runed & Gun and finally ended up with the nuclear medal. So yeah its pretty decent, but i dont use it often still.

Please do a quick search of the forums, I'm sure you can find plenty of threads on this same subject.  Its getting old now, 10 new ones a day!

Izjar11

Juicyorangee wrote:

The infamous target finder one of the most used scopes in the game for long range weapons has always been a debatly subject among players but is it that bad or is it as bad as they make it out to be?

I could see it being good for people who have bad eye sight so that they can actualyl play the game if they are using long range weapons but I can also see how it makes people look scrubby if they are hiding in a corner while using the scope.

I would like to hear your opinions as well!

Its good to those who use it well, bad to those who report being killed so many times by it. Its part of the game and that is it.

rlbl

Honest Opinion:

The target finder is a generally bad idea* (just an opinion); But I use it sometimes on some guns on some maps.

Drinking large quantities of beer is also generally a bad idea, and I also do it (as well I did it when I was underage and illegal)

Sue me.

* I would say it is a bad idea because it can be abused, and it allows one to become aware that someone is in a place where they would otherwise never be seen (regardless of one's perfect, or impaired vision)

again, sue me

edit: It would have been a useful tool to flush out extreme ghost using campers in BO1... now it could be argued overkill as there is no class setup that makes people 100% invisible anymore.

Message was edited by: rlbl

TRU11

to me it seems bullets bullets will hit you even with both the giant diamond as well as the crosshair not on me lol

its probaly lag but its anoying when you watch killcam and see your opponent get rewarded with hitmarkers while he doesent even have you on target.

im glad though that most people dont use a TF with hardwire perk lol.

easy to spamm EMP grenade then.

sennalike

I've had my say on the TF in previous threads and I can't be bothered to repeat myself.  But one thing I will say that hasn't been said before.  Vahn is very much a "look at the maths" type of developer.  If something is being used with success by too many people then it is likely he will nerf it.  Those who refuse to use the TF because they think it is OP and shouldn't be in the game should have a think on that.

I like the target finder, though I don't use it much.  Here's why.

Everytime I come around a corner and am shot by somebody before I have time to react, I watch the killcam to figure out exactly how the player got a jump on me.  About 85% of the time, the player in question is using a target finder.  This leads me to believe, in most cases, that the player using the target finder wouldn't have been able to get the kill without his target finder. This leads me to believe that Treyarch introduced the Target Finder as an attachment created for players that are too bad at the game to get kills any other way.

Now let's consider for a moment all of the things that BO2 DOESN'T have.  For example there are no AK74us, Famases, Surpressed PP90M1s and MP7s (there is an MP7, but it isn't rediculous), un-counterable Claymores, etc. There's the Shock Charge/Bouncing Betty combo, but that can be countered several ways (Engineer, EMP grenades, Ducking) In fact, it seems that the ONLY game feature purpose built to allow piss-poor players to get occasional kills is the Target Finder.  As a good player, I find it marginally useful at best.  I don't stand in one spot ADSing long enough for the red diamond to appear before the enemy's body does.  I'm more hinderd by the intrusive border and long ADS animation associated with it than anything else.

Of all the COD's I've played, BO2 seems to have the least OP items for terrible players.  The target finder is probably the worst of these, but I don't find it nearly as annoying as the throwbacks from MW3 and BO1 I mentioned above.  It's unrealistic to think that they wouldn't include items for bad players, because bad players buy the game by the thousands and they don't want to lose their business.  Once you accept the fact that developers ARE going to work in a way for people worse than you to get the best of you, the Target Finder becomes the lesser of all the evils I've experienced in COD.

xtraflossy

Dont like it -

If I get killed by a TF lmg prone someplace I just call it out on the mic, and stay on the other side of the map for a little bit.

I rage less that way

ArarielFett

The target finder is the Black Ops 1 equivalent of the noob tube.  Only idiots use it.  If you're that blind you can't find your enemies without the target finder, you shouldn't be playing.

The target finder need nerfed.  You should not be able to use the target finder tosit in a corner and  snipe from across the map.  Pathetic, and over powered.  Even if you use cold blooded, the crosshairs still turn red when an enemy is aimed at.

Lol pathetic. You know if he aimed the crosshairs at you whether it was the TF or acog he still wouldve fired and you wouldve been dead. The target finder doesnt aim for you. Mad lil kid. As for me i used to use it when the game started on lmgs, now i just find it takes up a slot and dont ever use it unless its on carrier. It blocks all your peripheral vision and you can use other attachments way better

ogmantis

Jesus christ people, just use cold blooded and you don't show up on target finder..........simple solution. Most people become retarded looking for the red triangle only and don't even see you.

Gerbera

And that's what I also keep bringing up.

People just dismiss Cold Blooded just because it doesn't make you 100% immune to the Target Finder (it says right in the description that it "resists" the listed things), but seem to always forget that if the person is able to spot you well enough to get the red dot on you and hear the beep, chances are that that person would've been able to kill you regardless of the sights being used. But many Target Finder users do end up becoming very dependent on looking for the diamonds all around while staying ADS, and those that DO use Cold Blooded, thus no diamond, DO have a much easier time getting around them due to target fixation/tunnel vision.

Or just use the Flashbang or EMP Grenade to disable the sight.

I'm impartial to the target finder itself, it's a mix between an aimbot and marksman. It's not the target finder that bothers me, it's most of the people who use it that piss me off.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

it is absolutely essential in getting through my head shots portion of camo challenges. i can get headshots up close, across the map, and it's AWESOME for head glitchers.

i use it on maps such as Yemen and Carrier where people hide in shadows and, again, head glitch.

great attachment for certain situations.