33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 9:49 AM by frats74 RSS

Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

This is a legitimate question I have had ever since I have started playing MW3. I've actually given this some thought and cannot make sense out of this.

 

Killstreaks - why are they included in this series of games? Even more mind boggling is this - why are they rewarded to players who are already doing incredibly well?

 

In my mind, this defies common sense. Why would players who have already proven themselves to be exceptional be given a handicap to make the game even easier for them? Who thought this would be a good idea?

  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
    ganjsmok

    Lol this is the way all COD's have been since COD4. Rewarding players for playing well is not a bad idea as you suggest it is, seen as though COD4 MW1 was the most successful entertainment product ever at the time of release, and also won tons of game of the year awards. Then there was WAW which stuck with the set killstreak rewards,and then MW2 which built on the killstreak system, adding the option of choice betweeen which rewards you wanted to use. This proved to be even more popular seen as though MW2, BLOPS and MW3 all set new sales records, beating MW1. In short, the killstreak reward system is what the entire billion dollar COD franchise has been built upon and is the root of Activision's success with COD. For you to say that killstreaks are a bad idea is laughable as there is more than 50 million people who bought any of the recent CODs who will disagree with you. If you don't like it then go and play in the barebones playlist or hardcore, or just play Battlefield. Just stop moaning cos you get owned by better players streak rewards.

    • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

      I honestly hoped for more of a discussion than the traditional 'don't tread on me' American sentiment ("If you don't like it, get out!"). I am also attempting to appeal to logic here. That being said, it follows that simply because a lot of people like it, doesn't make it a rational idea. Just think about that for a moment. I don't care about how laughable you think this idea is or the history of the COD franchise. I am talking about a single aspect of this game that doesn't quite connect the dots (if you bother to think about it).

       

      I understand the "reward" scenario - but look at it this way. A lot of the COD community play this game to such a level that they become incredibly effecient at making newer players' lives a living hell. It isn't unheard of for some of the veteran MW3 players to have upwards of 30+ killstreaks without even being seen by a player of the opposing team. Many of these same players achieve these grossly inflated killstreaks by using exploitave methods purely for the instance of achieving gunship support, remote turrets, etc. etc.

       

      It may be a good idea for those who can play to this level, I suppose. But for the casual gamer who doesn't have the time or inclination to game to this level, it doesn't feel like a welcome or forgiving gaming environment. Just pure killstreak achieving, blind flashbang tossing chaos.

      • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
        ganjsmok

        That's funny, I don't remember saying 'if you don't like it then get out' oh wait that's because I didn't say that at all. Not sure why you are having to invent what you wish I had said?! What I actually said was the ENGLISH phrase 'stop moaning' and I also said 'just play barebones or hardcore'.

        In your OP you said that ' who thought this would be a good idea?' (to implement kill streak rewards into the game)  then in your lame reply to me you claim that 'just because people like it doesn't mean it's a rational idea.' LOL well by that virtue I can also say that just because YOU don't like it, it doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

        The fundamental point here that you seem to have missed is that you are criticising the unique selling point of MW3, the one part of the game that differentiates it from the competiton and won Activision those huge sales figures, and somehow claiming that it is a bad idea! Tens of millions of people have already proved you wrong by purchasing the game. If killstreak rewards did not exist in COD then I doubt that this forum would even exist for you to have your little moan and vent about how bad a player you are.

  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
    frats74

    BdBrown wrote:

     

    This is a legitimate question I have had ever since I have started playing MW3. I've actually given this some thought and cannot make sense out of this.

     

    Killstreaks - why are they included in this series of games? Even more mind boggling is this - why are they rewarded to players who are already doing incredibly well?

     

    In my mind, this defies common sense. Why would players who have already proven themselves to be exceptional be given a handicap to make the game even easier for them? Who thought this would be a good idea?

     

    Killstreak rewards are not just limited to Predator Missiles and AC-130's that directly kill enemies, or as you stated: given a handicap to make the game easier for them. There are other rewards like UAV, CUAV and EMP that don't kill. Furthermore, there are Killstreak rewards that can destroy other Killsteak rewards like Predator Missile and SAM Turret.

     

    Some Perks even work to cancel out Killstreak Rewards like Blind Eye (against A.I.and controllable Killstreak rewards) , Assassin (UAV, CUAV and EMP) and Dead Silence (against Recon Drone)

     

    They're good ideas. If COD didn't evolve we'd all be stuck playing the same games over-and-over again.

    • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

      Oh, no doubt. And I also don't doubt that many gamers use support killstreak rewards. But I have yet to play a single match of say, Team Deathmatch, where the overwhelming amount of action isn't running for cover because of a gunship above.

       

      And where is the fun factor in controlling a gunship? It's far less interactive, and although I hate to use this word, cheap.

       

      I certainly acknowledge your point of view, but it doesn't change that already overwhelmingly good players are given their cake and allowed to eat it too.

      • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
        frats74

        BdBrown wrote:

         

        Oh, no doubt. And I also don't doubt that many gamers use support killstreak rewards. But I have yet to play a single match of say, Team Deathmatch, where the overwhelming amount of action isn't running for cover because of a gunship above.

         

         

         

        Seen that too many times.

         

         

        BdBrown wrote:

         

        And where is the fun factor in controlling a gunship?

         

        Seeing the enemy run for cover.

         

         

        BdBrown wrote:

         

        It's far less interactive, and although I hate to use this word, cheap.

         

        It's still interactive because the gunship is part of the game. Would you make the same complaint about vehicles in Battlefield? The vehicles are there from the start and nobody has to earn a tank or fighter jet.

         

        With regards to cheap; In Street Fighter: Would you restrict good Ken or Ryu players from using Fireballs and Dragon Punches?

         

         

        BdBrown wrote:

         

        I certainly acknowledge your point of view, but it doesn't change that already overwhelmingly good players are given their cake and allowed to eat it too.

         

         

        Cake is to be eaten. What else would you do with cake?

        • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

          Also, I would only restrict Ken or Ryu of said powers of fire and dragon punching if in the case that they were about to mercilessly KO an opponent they were suddenly given these powers (not having them before) to make their job of brutalization easier. Because then and only then would they resemble a killstreak.

          • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
            frats74

            BdBrown wrote:

             

            Also, I would only restrict Ken or Ryu of said powers of fire and dragon punching if in the case that they were about to mercilessly KO an opponent they were suddenly given these powers (not having them before) to make their job of brutalization easier. Because then and only then would they resemble a killstreak.

             

            Would you suggest having the option of surrendering when an enemy obtains a killstreak?

            • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

              Not at all - I would rather not have to deal with killstreaks at all.

               

              But you're alright by me - citing Homer is an advanced art, but quoting him in correct context is something else entirely.

              • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
                frats74

                BdBrown wrote:

                 

                Not at all - I would rather not have to deal with killstreaks at all.

                 

                What was the first COD game you played?

                 

                 

                BdBrown wrote:

                 

                But you're alright by me - citing Homer is an advanced art, but quoting him in correct context is something else entirely.

                 

                I'd quote Family Guy but it might be too advanced.

                • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

                  Was it Call of Duty 4 that portrayed the Normandy Beach Invasion? That was when I began playing it, but the most relelvant COD I played was MW2 because that was when I began my multiplayer campaign.

                  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
                    frats74

                    BdBrown wrote:

                     

                    Was it Call of Duty 4 that portrayed the Normandy Beach Invasion? That was when I began playing it, but the most relelvant COD I played was MW2 because that was when I began my multiplayer campaign.

                     

                    Okay. At least I know you're a COD veteran.

                     

                    You've pretty much established that you don't llike Killstreaks and that you want Bare Bones to be have a better voting system other than two maps with two different game modes.

                     

                    I can understand the latter. You could be presented with two maps that you like but have two game modes you hate, one map you like but the game mode you prefer is on the other map, or hate both maps and game modes that you end up leaving the Bare Bones lobby and coming back hoping to have better options.

                     

                    I don't know what Perks and Weapons you use for Bare Bones, but perhaps switching to a different class would help when playing other game modes. Also, what is your role when you play? Do you Run 'N Gun? What's the highest straight kills count you've had?

                     

                    I'm sure even if you don't like Killstreaks (or perhaps even using them), you can use Specialist and play comfortably outside of Bare Bones.

  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
    codchamp

    Well why not? It is the reward system in this franchise for when you do well and probably the #1 reason why people play it so much. There is nothing more rewarding then getting online, Getting a game, killing, capping objectives and then being able to rain death from above with a ac-130.

    • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

      It must massage the ego, eh? I can also understand this.

       

      I do play barebones, but it's a very skimpy game mode with what, three alternatives?

      • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
        frats74

        BdBrown wrote:

         

        It must massage the ego, eh? I can also understand this.

         

         

        Killstreaks (Assault and Specialist) encourages players to do better. Chaining a Killstreak count one after another without dying can be tough.

         

        Support Killstreaks are often looked as a reward for players who are unskilled because even after dying the Killstreak count doesn't reset back to "0", but nobody mentioned that dying was mandatory. In fact, I have seen a player use Support Killstreak and still got 25 straight kills for a MOAB.

         

        Egos have nothing to do with Killstreak rewards at all.

         

         

        BdBrown wrote:

         

        I do play barebones, but it's a very skimpy game mode with what, three alternatives?

         

        What are your suggestions?

        • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

          What I don't like about barebones is that we, the gamers, don't have any say whether we are going to be playing domination, TDM, or kill confirmed (other than a paltry two option voting system that sometimes offers both of the same game modes, just alternate maps).

           

          The one thing I do disagree with here is that egos have nothing to do with gaming. Quite the opposite is true, I would think. Everyone wants to do better than everyone else, right? It really does make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when your KD ratio is better than it is worse. Like you said, the best part of raining just comeuppance down from above is watching everyone make a break for it. It is enjoyable to crush everyone. But is it challenging when you are already 20-0 and you call in your attack choppa' to bolster that number up? I don't think so.

           

          A lot of the points you gentlemen put forward are true - killstreaks are indeed a part of this game. I couldn't agree more. My question is, though, isn't it a tad demeaning to players who aren't very good at running around frantically spraying imaginary bullets at people they don't know online when players who are good at this sort of thing are given an extra leg up when an adorable death dealing lil' go kart is busy doing all of their terminations for them? I certainly think so.

           

          Before I become decent at COD and was able to average over 1.00 with my KD ratio, I certainly thought it was a strange idea to reward already amazing players. And I still do, even if I can hold my own with the best of them. Given that, I do play barebones the most - it just makes you feel like a vegan at a barbecue.

          • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
            frats74

            BdBrown wrote:

             

            What I don't like about barebones is that we, the gamers, don't have any say whether we are going to be playing domination, TDM, or kill confirmed (other than a paltry two option voting system that sometimes offers both of the same game modes, just alternate maps).

             

             

            Okay.

             

             

            BdBrown wrote:

             

            The one thing I do disagree with here is that egos have nothing to do with gaming. Quite the opposite is true, I would think. Everyone wants to do better than everyone else, right? It really does make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when your KD ratio is better than it is worse. Like you said, the best part of raining just comeuppance down from above is watching everyone make a break for it. It is enjoyable to crush everyone.

             

             

             

            Like an old saying: You get exactly what you put in.

             

            That's what Killstreak Rewards do.

             

             

            BdBrown wrote:

             

            But is it challenging when you are already 20-0 and you call in your attack choppa' to bolster that number up? I don't think so.

             

             

             

            I see the challenge differently.

             

            There is a challenge in earning a Killstreak Reward, especially the ones requiring kills higher than 10, and there is a challenge in using controllable Killstreak Rewards like Reaper Drone, AC-130 and Osprey Gunner because the enemy can still run and hide.

             

             

            BdBrown wrote:

             

            A lot of the points you gentlemen put forward are true - killstreaks are indeed a part of this game. I couldn't agree more. My question is, though, isn't it a tad demeaning to players who aren't very good at running around frantically spraying imaginary bullets at people they don't know online when players who are good at this sort of thing are given an extra leg up when an adorable death dealing lil' go kart is busy doing all of their terminations for them? I certainly think so.

             

            They have to start somewhere.

             

            I was fodder when started. I'm not an expert or pro, but I've gotten better.

             

            BdBrown wrote:

             

            Before I become decent at COD and was able to average over 1.00 with my KD ratio, I certainly thought it was a strange idea to reward already amazing players. And I still do, even if I can hold my own with the best of them. Given that, I do play barebones the most - it just makes you feel like a vegan at a barbecue.

             

            Step up and try other modes and become better at them.

             

            I quote Homer from the Simpson's: "You don't make friends with salad".

            • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

              I agree with you on this. i think that KIllstreaks are a little overpowered. i run a legit 2.63K?Don MW3 and a 2.39 on BO2 and KS's make getting kills even easier. i use specialist on MW3 becausee i think it makes it funner. i can average 27kills in domination with killstreaks i could pry average around 48. i think once you're K/D reaches a spot you should no longer be able to use these ks's that allow you to get 15+ vkills. i mean seriously!!!!! i was using the AC-130 the other day and i was able to get 34 kills with it. yeah i know sounds impossible but i kept track of it. finished that game 129-8

              • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
                frats74

                Meatcleaver wrote:

                 

                I agree with you on this. i think that KIllstreaks are a little overpowered.

                 

                I don't think Killstreak rewards are overpowered at all. Using the AC-130, the most powerful Killstreak reward as a general example of Killstreaks being overpowered is not fair.

                 

                 

                Meatcleaver wrote:

                 

                i run a legit 2.63K?Don MW3 and a 2.39 on BO2 and KS's make getting kills even easier. i use specialist on MW3 becausee i think it makes it funner. i can average 27kills in domination with killstreaks i could pry average around 48.

                 

                Impressive, Sir. I'm still doing my best at 1.67.

                 

                Black Ops 2? I'm not even going to go there.

                 

                 

                Meatcleaver wrote:

                 

                i think once you're K/D reaches a spot you should no longer be able to use these ks's that allow you to get 15+ vkills. i mean seriously!!!!!

                 

                 

                So, you would bench your star player once he reaches a cap?

                 

                ie.

                 

                If Lebron James reaches 25 points, he is benched and not allowed to play for the rest of the game?

                 

                 

                Meatcleaver wrote:

                 

                i was using the AC-130 the other day and i was able to get 34 kills with it. yeah i know sounds impossible but i kept track of it. finished that game 129-8

                 

                I believe it.

                 

                Was there a n00b on the other team blocking the door?

      • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
        codchamp

        Ego massaging? Never thought about it like that. I was just stating why people play. But if i want to stroke my ego...Then i shall. 2.20 K/D, 10.90 W/L. All big streak challenges done, Working on my 100th MOAB since i hit 20th prestige and trying to stay in the top 1000 all time. So i will keep stroking my ego and using Assault killstreaks. Please dont dashout when i call in my 2nd or 3rd OG gunner for that game

  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
    ganjsmok

    That's funny, I don't remember saying 'if you don't like it then get out' oh wait that's because I didn't say that at all. What I actually said was the ENGLISH phrase 'stop moaning' and I also said 'just play barebones or hardcore'.

    In your OP you said that ' who thought this would be a good idea?' (to implement kill streak rewards into the game)  then in your lame reply to me you claim that 'just because people like it doesn't mean it's a rational idea.' LOL well by that virtue I can also say that just because YOU don't like it, it doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

    The fundamental point here that you seem to have missed is that you are criticising the unique selling point of MW3, the one part of the game that differentiates it from the competiton and won Activision those huge sales figures, and somehow claiming that it is a bad idea! Tens of millions of people have already proved you wrong by purchasing the game. If killstreak rewards did not exist in COD then I doubt that this forum would even exist for you to have your little moan and vent about how bad a player you are.

    • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

      Ganjsmok, I'm trying to debate whether an idea is good here using logical thought. I give reason as to why I think something is a bad idea, whereas your reason is that "so-and-so millions of people like it," That is simply not reason, it is a fallacy of division. It does not have to be true of everyone even if it is possibly true of the whole (and I say possibly because there are no statistics proving your statement).


      I don't think you understand what is going on here... This is self evident when you attack me personally rather than attempting to contribute to this conversation.  What's even more laughable is that you assume that I am bad player...

       

      I wouldn't go so far as to say that Call of Duty is popular simply because of killstreaks (simply because you have no proof of that).

       

      Take a deep breath before you post.

      • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
        ganjsmok

        LOL it looks like you are the one that has again somehow managed to miss the entire point of this 'debate'-the pont is that there is no argument to answer here at all, your op and all of your other posts (including your bemusingly self-indulgent latest reply) are completely irrelevant, and this entire thread is pointless.As previously explained there is no doubt at all in any shape or form that rewarding players for playing well is a GREAT idea, this HAS been proven and has unquestionably and undeniably been a HUGE contributing factor in the success of the most popular and best selling entertainment franchise of all time.

         

        Everyone else who has replied to you on this (with the exception of Meatcleaver) has disagreed with you but somehow you continue to blindly ignore the FACTS.  It is no coincedence that killstreak rewards were introduced on COD4 six years ago, which just so happened to be the same time that Activision became the market leader in online fps's taking over from HALO and EA's Battlefield. Before then COD was just another run of the mill fps. That IS a proven fact, not an unfounded, biased opinion like ALL of your points have been.

         

        Sales figures don't prove if something is a good idea? LOL with that rationale I wouldn't be surprised if you were to claim that PC's and mobile phones are bad ideas LOL

         

        In your OP you say 'I've actually given it some thought and cannot make sense out of this' Haha no sh*t aha. If you think that somone who proves you wrong with hard facts is not contributing to the conversation then you are dumber than your op initially made you sound.  Oh and I didn't assume that you are a bad player, you have made that obvious already from your op and the very fact that you complain about good players being rewarded for playing well. Clearly you are a noob because good players simply would not complain about being rewarded.

         

        Word of advice- next time you start a 'discussion' don't be surprised if the majority of people disagree with you and prove you wrong (again).

  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
    Redoctober1967

      Fundamentally, Killstreaks (Scorestreaks or whatever) are a lazy way to be successful at each game. That's why these titles are so popular. The proliferation of people playing for K/D in objective games, without the thought of trying to win any Objective. The people who are trying to play objective constantly find the game ruined by Killstreak nuts who see the others as easy meat. This is why Barebones will never be popular, sadly. A great idea spoiled by mob mentality supported by the game creators. Would the same Killstreak nuts be so successful if they tried to play it? Extremely doubtful. It's far easier and lazier to sit back and watch the Killstreaks do the work for them. Try barebones now, try a few games of MW. Filled with people who want to play the objectives or other modes the right way. Who struggle to earn their kills through sheer hard work, tactics and team play.

      As other posters have rightly pointed out, Killstreaks do make the games massively popular, giving in to the need for an easy ride and the love of the mighty $. Neither IW nor Treyarch are concerned with giving us the best game we want, just adequate games that will keep the masses happy and the coffers filled, year after year. The games are a parable of modern life. Those toiling through hard work very rarely supported and most wanting something for nothing and everything done for them.

    • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
      frats74

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      Fundamentally, Killstreaks (Scorestreaks or whatever) are a lazy way to be successful at each game.

       

      Clearly, you have a Generalized idea of what a Killstreak reward is and what it does.

       

      What is your definiton of success?

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      That's why these titles are so popular. The proliferation of people playing for K/D in objective games, without the thought of trying to win any Objective. The people who are trying to play objective constantly find the game ruined by Killstreak nuts who see the others as easy meat.

       

      Halo and Battlefield are popular Titles too. Those games have no Killstreak rewards, but you can hop on a Wart Hog, Banshee, Tank or Fighter Jet and kill enemies without having to earn them; they're just there.

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      This is why Barebones will never be popular, sadly. A great idea spoiled by mob mentality supported by the game creators.

       

      When was it a great idea? Can you prove it?

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      Would the same Killstreak nuts be so successful if they tried to play it? Extremely doubtful.

       

       

      That depends on the player.

       


      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      It's far easier and lazier to sit back and watch the Killstreaks do the work for them.

       

       

      Shoot it down or use Blind Eye.

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      Try barebones now, try a few games of MW.

       

      It's Vanilla.

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      Filled with people who want to play the objectives or other modes the right way.

       

      Playing the Objective is up to the player regardless of what type of Game Mode.

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      Who struggle to earn their kills through sheer hard work, tactics and team play.

       

      Camping.

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      As other posters have rightly pointed out, Killstreaks do make the games massively popular, giving in to the need for an easy ride and the love of the mighty $.

       

      They are a business, not a Charitable Institution.

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      Neither IW nor Treyarch are concerned with giving us the best game we want, just adequate games that will keep the masses happy and the coffers filled, year after year..

       

      What is your suggestion?

       

       

      Redoctober1967 wrote:

       

      The games are a parable of modern life. Those toiling through hard work very rarely supported and most wanting something for nothing and everything done for them.

       

      Translation: "Woe is me".

       

      • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
        Redoctober1967

        Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. Some interesting questions and answers. Yes, I did generalise as not many people take the time or effort to read a post over two or three sentences. I'll approach your reply from my point of view and see what you think. The forums here and elsewhere are filled with players (hardcore etc) bemoaning the lack of a strategic and tactical extension of their playlist. To put it bluntly, COD has become boring. It's the same year after year, however we all come back for more. Other than the tweaks to Killstreaks, the same playlists and style of play appear year after year. Don't fix what isn't broken, you'll probably say? Well look online at any given time. The amount of players on MP  has shrunk to almost half. That's a hell of a lot of people no longer playing Call Of Duty. Sure, you get the kids online. The QSers, the boosters, rarely kids who want to play the game. But ask yourself this, what is there to grab us by the throat beyond blind devotion to the title? Don't get me wrong. I've played since COD 3. I love Call Of Duty but its now more of a habit, rather than the desire to play. And a lot of this boils down to the sameness of each year. When Modern Warfare came out it was truly an event. People wanted to earn the kills, the objectives. All it seems to be now is a K/D addiction. You mentioned Halo and its vehicles. Yes they are there. That's why there is no advantage for anyone. It's a level playing field for all. Unlike COD.

          To prove my thoughts with regard to Barebones is like asking why someone prefers Coca Cola over Pepsi. It's a taste thing. I like to win games on my ability to judge the gameplay, the ebb and flow of the gunfights etc. That's why I found Barebones to be so enjoyable. Working with my team to cover choke points, find snipers, give support to flag carriers etc. all the while not having to worry about gunships, sentry guns et al but trusting my team to support me if I was carrying the flag or laying the bomb.

        " Playing the Objective is up to the player regardless of what type of Game Mode." Sadly that's true. The majority who have no interest in achieving the objective but who see the ones who do as easy meat. Here's an idea. Why not have team play built on squads equipped with specific roles? Yes it's similar to BF but nothing beats COD gameplay. So a sniper to support, a leader to call in air strikes, only one engineer to lay or defuse the bomb who must be defended for the objective to be completed and infantry. It's just one idea, crappy you may think but it's different. Completely to what we've had over the past seven years. The COD bubble will soon burst unless something is done to save it. Ask yourself why they came up with the Season Pass? Is it because less people are buying the maps? I don't know but I see COD dying a slow death and the companies that are greedily reaping the benefits now will be struggling in five years time to keep the interest of many unless things change.

        • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
          frats74

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. Some interesting questions and answers. Yes, I did generalise as not many people take the time or effort to read a post over two or three sentences.

           

          I appreciate your candor.

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          I'll approach your reply from my point of view and see what you think. The forums here and elsewhere are filled with players (hardcore etc) bemoaning the lack of a strategic and tactical extension of their playlist.

           

          I understand. You are also one of those: A Bare Bones fanboy/player bemoaning Killstreaks for its inclusion and use in COD games.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          To put it bluntly, COD has become boring.

           

          That's just Extreme Mapathy. I experience it too.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          It's the same year after year, however we all come back for more.

           

          I expect some things to be the same. If not, it's not acceptable.

           

          ie.

           

          Motorhead - Every Motorhead album sounds the same; different guitar players over the years, but it's the same Motorhead sound. The moment you hear a riff or Lemmy's voice, you know it's Motorhead

           

          AC/DC - Every AC/DC album sounds the same; they're gotten older, different drummers, but it's the same sound. Whether they play: You Shook Me All Night Long or Stiff Upper Lip. It's the same AC/DC sound. The moment you hear Bon Scott or Brian Johnson's voice, you know it's AC/DC

           

          Metallica - Not all Metallica albums sound the same. Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ... And Justice For All were all Thrashy; The Black Album was Heavy; Load, Reload, and anythng up to now are low quality because those albums don't measure up to their earlier work.

           

          The point is if COD/MW becomes something that is not recognizable, it is not a COD/MW game.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          Other than the tweaks to Killstreaks, the same playlists and style of play appear year after year.

           

          They tweaked a lot.

           

          Perks, Weapons and Map sizes.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          Don't fix what isn't broken, you'll probably say?

           

          Absolutely!

           

          What's broken are the repawning system, the lag, hackers and Elite. Those issues need fixed ASAP.

           

          I could care less about anything else.

           

          The Killstreaks aren't broken.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          Well look online at any given time. The amount of players on MP  has shrunk to almost half. That's a hell of a lot of people no longer playing Call Of Duty.

           

          There are factors to consider. Players have been Banned, have school or jobs, family, etc...

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          Sure, you get the kids online. The QSers, the boosters, rarely kids who want to play the game. But ask yourself this, what is there to grab us by the throat beyond blind devotion to the title?

           

          Once again, there are factors to consider: Peer Pressure, Boredom, Escape from reality, etc...

           

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          Don't get me wrong. I've played since COD 3. I love Call Of Duty but its now more of a habit, rather than the desire to play. And a lot of this boils down to the sameness of each year. When Modern Warfare came out it was truly an event. People wanted to earn the kills, the objectives. All it seems to be now is a K/D addiction.

           

           

          Okay. But, that's not everyone. Anyone who uses Killstreaks doesn't have a K/D addiction.

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          You mentioned Halo and its vehicles. Yes they are there. That's why there is no advantage for anyone. It's a level playing field for all. Unlike COD.

           

           

          How is a vehicle ready for the taking from the start of a game "a level playing field for all"?

           

          You have no problem getting blasted by a vehicle in Halo or Battlefield but you have an issue when you get blasted by a vehicle that was earned as a Killstreak reward in COD?

           


           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          To prove my thoughts with regard to Barebones is like asking why someone prefers Coca Cola over Pepsi. It's a taste thing. I like to win games on my ability to judge the gameplay, the ebb and flow of the gunfights etc. That's why I found Barebones to be so enjoyable. Working with my team to cover choke points, find snipers, give support to flag carriers etc.

           

          The arguement here on this thread is not why you prefer Bare Bones - It's about Killsteaks. You stated "Killstreaks are a lazy way to be successful at each game". Telling me why you enjoy Bare Bones isn't telling me why Killtreaks are a bad idea or why they're not needed. It's just telling me you prefer Bare Bones.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          all the while not having to worry about gunships, sentry guns et al but trusting my team to support me if I was carrying the flag or laying the bomb.

           

          Is that the real reason why you're in Bare Bones?

           

          Because sometimes, trust can only so far. Then they fail you. I understand that part completely.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          " Playing the Objective is up to the player regardless of what type of Game Mode." Sadly that's true. The majority who have no interest in achieving the objective but who see the ones who do as easy meat. Here's an idea. Why not have team play built on squads equipped with specific roles? Yes it's similar to BF but nothing beats COD gameplay. So a sniper to support, a leader to call in air strikes, only one engineer to lay or defuse the bomb who must be defended for the objective to be completed and infantry. It's just one idea, crappy you may think but it's different. Completely to what we've had over the past seven years.

           

          As you stated, it's similar to Battlefield. So, how can it be different?

           

          Also, assigning roles suck.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          The COD bubble will soon burst unless something is done to save it.

           

          In business/marketing, there is something that's called: Product Life Cycle. Eventually, everything will go through a decline; Cash Cows become Dogs.

           

           

          Redoctober1967 wrote:

           

          Ask yourself why they came up with the Season Pass? Is it because less people are buying the maps? I don't know but I see COD dying a slow death and the companies that are greedily reaping the benefits now will be struggling in five years time to keep the interest of many unless things change.

           

          Your original post on this thread was Fundamentally about Killstreaks. You stated that "Killstreaks are a way for players to sit back and relax while Killstreaks do their work for them". Now, you veered off-topic to give me a business lesson about how the company will fail unless things change.

           

          Stick to Killstreaks. Can you not justify your stance on it?

           

          If you want to know why I think there's a Season's Pass, it's most probably to finance something coming up. Good guesses would be MW4 and to hire developers to fix Elite.

           

          If COD struggles in five years, I wouldn't worry. As long as the Publisher and Developers are around, there will always be games to play. Hopefully, with Killstreaks.

  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

    I'm not that great a player and I like the killstreak idea.  It makes me want to try harder.  Is it annoying that the guy who is already roasting you with his gun now gets to roast you with a cobra, or an ac...sure.  One thing that I've found that has helped me get better by using the reward system is using the support killstreak rewards and starting with low kill amount rewards.  I now have my customs set up for how well I play with certain weapons.  I'm getting better with my assault rifle so I've switched from the support to the assault kill streaks, but keeping the values low so I still get rewards.  Also, I've noticed most of these guys get their rewards through care packages more than anything.  That's why there's always a million preditor missles flying around and next thing you know there's drones, scout 'copter, etc...it's mostly from calling in care packages.  I do have to admit, it sucks getting killed and then the same guy drops a missle on you when you spawn.  That's why I use blind eye pro and assassin pro....can only see me if you actually see me...which has helped a TON.  It would be nice to get a little better bump from a death streak...like something to actually prolong your life.  Maybe respwan with armor or something.  I tried doing final stand but most players are wise to that and keep shooting the downed man.

     

    I guess all of that to say...there are ways to help out the stinky players so they aren't EXCLUDING everyone.  Start using killstreaks as a strategy for how you play and they help anyone and it makes it "un-lazy?" :-)  If you don't like gunships, use a SAM.  If you don't like predators...well, not much you can do about that.

  • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)

    LOL I have never thought of it like that. Thats a good point you made, Bdbrown. I don't know if you ever played Mario Kart, but I remember that if you were in first place, you wouldn't get any good items to use againts your opponents. If you were in last place, you would usually get the best items, like that blue shell or that lightning that would hurt all of your opponents. I wonder what a COD game with the Mario Kart item logic would be like. Might be interesting.

    • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
      ganjsmok

      Lol funny listening to the few noobs complaining about better players being rewarded for playing well. You know- the unique selling point of this billion dollar franchise that is COD?They say- ''If you were in last place you would get the best items as rewards'' erm.. why is final stand and dead man's hand in the game already? It's so you noobs can still get 1 kill to go with your 20+ deaths per game!

      LOL and anyone who says that killstreaks are 'lazy' is deluded and a blatantly bad player. Obviously some people have never actually used assault killstreak rewards themselves because they are not a good enough player to earn them. Stick to the support killstreak package little children noobs, maybe some day you will get more than five kills in one match lol

    • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
      frats74

      Restore_Hardcorejr wrote:

       

      LOL I have never thought of it like that. Thats a good point you made, Bdbrown. I don't know if you ever played Mario Kart, but I remember that if you were in first place, you wouldn't get any good items to use againts your opponents. If you were in last place, you would usually get the best items, like that blue shell or that lightning that would hurt all of your opponents. I wonder what a COD game with the Mario Kart item logic would be like. Might be interesting.

       

      It would be.

       

      As you stated, in Mario Kart when a player is in last place that player usually gets a better item like Lightning or the best item like the Blue Shell. The player however did not earn the item. It was a Randomly selected by a program given to a player who is not doing very well.

       

      In COD, (traditional) Killstreak rewards are Earned. Regardless of what their team standing is in the Game Mode they are playing. As long as they earned it, they will get it.

       

      The only exception is the Care Package because even though it's still earned, the contents are Random. Therefore, it can be a UAV or an AC-130. Regardless if the player's team is winning or losing.

       

      So, I guess it would be good if a losing team gets a better Care package content.

      • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
        ganjsmok

        Ok fair play frats74 your care package idea is good and I agree with you that it would make it more interesting and possibly level the playing field a bit. However this is where the line should be drawn. Bad players are already rewarded with death streaks, lets not give them any more encouragement to play badly, otherwise we could get into the ridiculous scenario where players are trying to lose.

        • Re: Explain killstreaks. (If you can)
          frats74

          ganjsmok wrote:

           

          Ok fair play frats74 your care package idea is good and I agree with you that it would make it more interesting and possibly level the playing field a bit. However this is where the line should be drawn. Bad players are already rewarded with death streaks, lets not give them any more encouragement to play badly, otherwise we could get into the ridiculous scenario where players are trying to lose.

           

          No, I wasn't trying to encourage players to play badly so they can earn something good. I see your point though. Using Street Fighter 4 as reference, they have a Revenge Gauge that allows the character to perform an Ultra Combo, thus giving them a chance to win when they're losing. Of course, if one is not careful with playing bad on purpose, the other player can still win.

           

          My post with regards to the Care Package was based on my experience in MW2. I noticed that the Care Packages I got from an Emergency Drop were better when the team I was playing on is losing.

           

          Not that I was playing bad on purpose;

           

          ie.

           

          I joined a losing game already in-progress, my team just started to fail as we played, etc...

           

          I didn't get better Care Packages most of the time, but it does lend its support of the Mario Kart theory of getting a better Random Killstreak obtained from a Care Package.

           

          It may or may not help an already losing team. It depends.

           

          Message was edited by: frats74