2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2013 5:30 PM by scotland-rules RSS

They CAN'T fix the SMGs/Shotguns; the maps are too small.

scotland-rules

Before I start, I took this title off of another discussion so I could put my own slant on things and bring it to the PS3 forum.

Like the title says,

I often find myself reading countless debates about "fix blah SMG" and "neft dis Shotgun". Bottom line is, the map size is so small that if you use a AR or SR you'll be generally at a disadvantage.

For example

Most lines of sight don't allow sniper rifles to be used effectively, you often find yourself being shot in the back when using a sniper rifle because you'll be standing in a ridiculous location to see across the map. Same with AR, sure you can go head to head but even to be as effective as SMGs I have to use quickdraw and the adjustable stock and even they you'll still be killed by an SMG.

To add to this, the general think AR had on SMG was superior handling at range and even with the recent nerf to all SMGs range wise, they still dominate because the maps are so small.

Getting away from this argument, with revenge spawning being so evident in this game, you'll often find yourself spawning near your enemy that just killed you, so even if a sniper does find a suitable place to set up shop, they'll come back so easily and kill you and since the maps are so small you'll be at such a disadvantage because you can't move around the map as effectively.

Lastly, Shotguns have terrible range, its true, if they could not pull of a 1 hit kill then what would be the point in using them? You'd be better off with an SMG. Shotguns are only so good on BO2 because of map size. Think back to black ops 1, you could only use the shotguns on a handful of maps. Its been like this on every CoD apart from Black Ops 2

To rap this up, No matter what they do with the recoil, speed handling or damage, these weapons will always remain dominant due to one thing and one thing only; maps being small.

• Re: They CAN'T fix the SMGs/Shotguns; the maps are too small.
    Izjar11

Bottom line is, the map size is so small that if you use a AR or SR you'll be generally at a disadvantage.

I am an AR user and I have no disadvantages in my game play, shooting, maneuverability or issue with smaller maps. SMG are simply easier to use, unfortunately thats what the devs choose to do.

• Re: They CAN'T fix the SMGs/Shotguns; the maps are too small.
      scotland-rules

Its general usage thought is limited, the one advantage they had over SMGs was effectiveness at medium to long range, they simply don't have this advantage in this game. Sure you can still do well but stat wise and general feel and from what many witness in the community, AR are generally less used because SMGs are easier to handle and the map size allows them to be majorly effective.

Take this games Context and then put it inside MW2 maps, we'd see many people struggle to use these SMGs in a map like Quarry or Derail.

See what I am overall getting at?