42 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 12:22 AM by deadman45586 RSS

Snipers ruin the game or not?

A arguement I hear frequently is whether or not the DSR or any other snipers are bad, that they ruin game and are the reason many people do not buy this game. I do not mind snipers but am told they ruin the game, do you guys agree? please reply and let me know

• Re: Snipers ruin the game or not?

I personally don't mind them. (In FFA anyways)

They're easy to dodge. All you have to do is weave around like a drunken idiot.

If you get a room full of QS idiots on an objective type game, and they're losing it for you because they want to be cool... then yes, they ruin the game.

Beast_Of_America

Legitimate snipers don't ruin the game. I frequently play aggro with sniper rifles: Remaining mobile, routing chokepoints, and being agile and precise in my shots.

The little brats that run around doing 360s off of buildings for montages, and the trolls abusing aim assist because they can't hit the broad side of a barn otherwise? Yeah they ruin the game.

Yunck

As one who plays a sniper regularly i hope no one honestly think snipers ruin the game. I am a hard scoper.  Belly sniper what ever you want to call me and i think the sniper is very useful. I can be mobile. On the right maps i can hold down areas for my teammates even save a few from getting killed. As long as the sniper is being used how its intended they, we are not annoying.

Im going to guess the snipers you are hearing about are your quick scoping type snipers. Alot of people dislike them.

Sniping is hard in this game. Most maps are CQC so if I see a sucessful sniper, it doesn't bother me. I prefer getting sniped over someone using a target finder... Why? Cause at least the sniper had to use his eyes.

scoop121578

yes it has ruin this game they never play the objective they just hide in a corner and quickscope who pays 60 bucks to hide in a video game. every sniper on my team i block their view by walking in front of them

ItsFishyInHD

Honestly, if I get a sniper who will guard me while I go to the B flag or through traffic, I'm fine. I get frusterated when the hardscopers sit in room with retarded shock charges and betties I get mad. Quickscoping will sometimes get me frusterated, but other times it is respectable and I will just think good shot. But, the kids who sit in 1 room all game with high scorestreaks they never get are upsetting. Some of the maps like, Yemen, Cargo, Turbine, and Express seem to encourage getting to the buildings make me mad that I get sniped of the spawn all the time.

bkblazer

Sniping certainly doesn't ruin the game. Hardscoping, quickscoping, whatever. Its been part of the franchise since the beginning. You have to remember multiplayer is a direct reflection of the campaign and sniping has always been a great part of it. Quickscoping is no different than dropshotting. It can be very annoying, but its been around a long time and has been accepted as a legit tactic. Since it hasn't been removed by the developers for years, how can you say its a glitch?

Beast_Of_America

It has NOT in any way been accepted, apart from immature children that really shouldn't be playing the game anyway. It is merely tolerated, and I believe it was forced in by Activision as a means to make more money. Treyarch absolutely despised QS in the first Black Ops, so why would they suddenly be so open to it here?

As for drop-shotting, I certainly find it frustrating, but it isn't nearly as bad as QS IMHO. Not to mention that the accuracy penalty implemented in this game effectively nerfed it (drop-shotting). I'm sorry, but the so-called "learning curve" doesn't justify QS, AT ALL. The "YT" fame is merely a facade; channels like FaZe and ZzirGrizZ merely hide behind false "skill" and preschool capacities of children who are about 4-8 years under the Mature rating of the game.

QS ruins Search and Destroy games especially. Those who try to pull off their "3p1c m0n7ag3zZ" only serve to ruin games for legitimate people trying to play the game and win. As far as I'm concerned, they're all a bunch of parasites on par with boosters and cheaters.

bkblazer

It's a very good point you bring up how quickscoping in BO1 and how it was tweaked to make it smoother (easier). There was heavy backlash from the quickscoping community. It seems to me that the majority wants quickscoping and the developers cater to them especially since that game was a follow up to MW2  (the quickscoping phenomenon). Until we see quickscoping and spawn killing/trapping listed under "Report Player", it will be legit but frowned upon by a lot. I completely agree, the SnD mentality is broken due to quickscoping. Players should be much more concerned with winning instead of a final killcam.

Beast_Of_America

See, what most aren't getting is that QS is in such a minority that they really don't matter. CoD has had a recent spree of catering to these selfish minorities that really don't matter in the community. They're turning away from their original fan base in favor of these bandwagon jumping preschoolers who think they're hot snot just because they can boost for diamond camos and do "1337 360 n0-sc0p33z."

They aren't even a community. They're the equivalent of North Korea threatening nukes: Children throwing a tantrum. What do you do with misbehaved children? Punish them. It's not that hard.

The fact that Activision has strayed away from the real fan base of this game, in favor of these prepubescent mini-grizz wannabes, isn't really surprising, but it's no less sickening.

bkblazer

You say that quickscopers are a minority and don't matter, but at the same time Activision forced it into BO1 to make more money. I understand your arguement and platform you stand on. I respect it. In no way am I saying its skillful, but it is a legit tactic that some find success in. The quickscoping discussion could go on forever. I personally don't find it abused in BO2. It certainly doesn't ruin the game for me.

Beast_Of_America

Activision forced it simply for that extra bit of money. This is a case of Activision's history of being out of touch with the gaming community. They know NOTHING about what makes a game good. Treyarch took it out knowing that it was a cheap exploit, not a "legit tactic". In fact, I've run into fewer and fewer of them, and I fully believe that it is because they KNOW that the rest of the community won't put up with their antics.

However, regardless of whether I constantly see them or not, they are still a nuisance for as long as they are allowed to exploit their little glitch. I suggest:

-Reversing damage drop for sniper rifles (Minimum damage out to "x" distance)

-Removing the hip fire crosshair

-NO ACOG

-NO LASER SIGHT

-NO SLEIGHT OF HAND/QD

-NO AIM ASSIST

Just kill it off.

A Pig that flys

Again, it's not a glitch! And as long as it makes Treyarch/Activision money, they will put it in.They're a company! A business! This is how they supply for their families! If they took it out, a lot of people would not buy the game, meaning a lot less money for Activision, and everyone who complains about Activision being a money whore company are too young to understand, meaning that they should not be playing the game.

And in Black Ops 2, if you haven't noticed or didn't see any video's before the game came out, aim-assist doesnt' affect a snipers scope/aim untill it's been scoped in for a second or two. So Black Ops 2 QSing actually TAKES SKILL, where the rest of the game is all aim assist, requiring NO skill.

So basically, to all you QS haters (not one, nor am I a QSer myself, only in Private Matches with my friends) you're basically hating because those people ave skill, where you don't.

It's not the QSer's, it's the SMG'ers, and AR'ers, and LMG with target finder's (god I HATE those!) that rely on aim-assist.

So here's a challenge; Play ONE game with Aim-Assist on, then the next game, turn it off and see how bad you do. You WILL be surprised.

Beast_Of_America

QS is still and exploit, and always will be. Yes there are annoying things in the game, but that doesn't justify this. They aren't skilled, they're just cheating little kindergartners looking for attention in a video game.

Screw them, they don't belong here. Activision wouldn't lose much by letting them die, they put it in purely out of greed.

A Pig that flys

Beast_Of_America wrote:

Screw them, they don't belong here. Activision wouldn't lose much by letting them die, they put it in purely out of greed.

I've said this A LOT before and I'm going to say it again:

ACTIVISION IS A BUSINESS, AND SOME PEOPLE BUY THE GAME PURELY FOR QUICKSCOPING! BY TAKING OUT A FEATURE THAT MAKES THEM MAYBE $100,000 AT THE MOST, THEY LOSE THAT 100,000, MEANING THAT THERE'S 100,000 DOLLARS IN PRICE CUTS! THEY WILL DO WHAT THEY CAN TO MAKE MONEY, AND IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THAT, YOU OBVIOUSLY WORK AT A ******* MCDONALDS OR NOT AT ALL EVEN, USUALLY MEANING YOU'RE TOO DAMN YOUNG TO PLAY THE GAME!

And no, I'm not sorry for caps, I meant for them to be there. If you saw any of the video's released in September-ish, where vonderhaar CLEARLY QUOTED "Aim assist doesn't affect snipers immediatly. In order for aim assist to have an effect, they must be scoped in for a second before the benefit occurs" (not a direct quote, but I WILL find it if you need it), where SMG's, AR's, LMG's, Shotguns, Pistols, and Specials ALL have immediate aim assist, meaning that YOU have the advantage over a QSer.

Again, THEY have the aiming skill, where as everyone else (me not included, since I don't use aim assist) has to rely on aim assist to get their shitty aim better.

Stop arguing about it, because all you're doind is losing, since I'm stating COLD HARD FACTS, where you're voicing an opinion of maybe 10,000 some-odd people, of the 10,000,000 that have played this game (about 4,500,000 who consistantly play). You're making yourself look stupid.

Beast_Of_America

IT WOULD BE NO LOSS. ACTIVISION DOESN'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MAKING A BALANCED GAME. IF THEY DID, THERE WOULD BE NO TAC INSERTS, HACKING WOULD BE NON-EXISTANT AND THE DEVELOPERS COULD MAKE A TEN TIMES MORE BALANCED GAME.

http://spong.com/article/18838/Activisions-Kotick-Id-Raise-Game-Prices-Even-More

If this doesn't convince you, then you're a lost cause. There is a fine line between making money and being a business, and being greedy. That line was crossed by Activision some time ago.

A Pig that flys

I see what you mean, but hacking is inevitible, for one, and the prestige edition for Black Ops 2 was $179.99, $50.00 then what the MW2 prestige was. Another thing, Activision doesn't make the games, they produce (finalize) and mark the prices, based off of what Treyarch/Infinity Ward say it's worth. Sure, Kotick would like more money, yes, but EVERYONE does, and almost EVERY COMPANY/BUSINESS does!

And aswell, notice how he said, and I quote:

"And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."

Incase you didn't know, he has almost NO say on what the prices are, so him talking about prices (especially from Aug 6, 2009) really doesn't help your case.

Anyways, since this is a forum discussion about SNIPING, I will be happy to make a discussion about the business aspect side of Activision/Treyarch/IW, and get EVERYONE'S input.

And incase you didn't know, the Tony Hawk game mentioned for 99.99 pounds included the board, and the MW2 was the prestige. They're all about making money, and Treyarch/IW will keep selling the games for $60, no matter whats in them, since the instant Activision prices them for more than what 3arc/IW say they're worth, the minute Activision loses they're #1 selling franchise (which PS3/PC player's may be happy with, since they will then get the DLC the same day XBOX users do).

Dont you think thats a bit harsh. I hate quickscopers but not that much

jamminjtree

the only way sniper influence the game is this turbine and drone are greatly avoided. me and my riffle love these maps oh cant forget aftermath. what i have fun with is people who provide a good counter to back of the map sniping . though people who claim to hate them, need rushers to give them good gameplay. last night i did not want to get offline, after playing hctdm against a party whos biggest problem was that they would not stop stacking up together. each encounter would result is doubles triples and killstreaks. large maps have more options and your score per minute drops a little. so if people say that snipers ruin the game the fail to realize that the sniper is the most hated on the map, some could also say the same about the ksg on hijacked even without the long barrel it will get the one shot from window to window. people hate this even my own team mates make comments when i pull a game winning kill with a shotgun that has few lines of sight in which it cannot reach. its the new nuketown and i always bring a shotgun       ps why isnt ther any hard core nuketown gameplay i paid extra got the money out before the game so why is it im feeling robbed?

Dan, everyone who knows you knows that you do not like the DSR or snipers. Don't pretend that you do not think that snipers suck because we had a big argument about it with Andrew

Quickscoping now for anyone reading this i'm not a sniper I use smg they are my babies. Now I'm trying to use a sniper and all I have to say is WOW! Quickscoping is so hard to do, especially when starting out that my mindset has changed. I "Use" to hate them so MUCH!Yet now I completely respect them if I get quickscoped I go dmn that was beautiful wish I could do that instead of raging because my smg lost in a CQC to a snipe. So in my opinion sniping doesn't ruin the game since it takes lots of skill to do whether your hardscoping or quickscoping you got to get the timing right. <3 and respect ALL snipers even beginners but <3 smg more. Is there a way to find someone who will teach you how to quickscope?

BamBoozeLLed

As I sniper since Socom 1 I have been around to see all the changes in play that snipers have under gone and I agree with most above that speak on quick scoping I remeber when it first started.... I started a clan just to counter QSers with a all tactical legit sniper crew. I have never quickscoped and dont see it in the future, the only time I ever mess with that is when I get friends who ALL they want to every do is QS and half the time I end up winning cause they all just jump around like idiots trying to go for "EPIC SHOTS" whoch dont win games so I avoid the practice.

Sooooo to answer the OP I think that Snipers are fine QSers are lame, annoying, and death hogs(Which is fine but to win TDM you want all +).

I think everyone is free to choose the weapon of their choice, and the playstyle of their choice. If it's in the game, use it. Why not?

I play on PC so we don't have aim assist, but a good sniper is someone I respect. Whether he chooses to hole himself away with shock charges and betties, or choses a different playstyle is of no consequence to me.

I find it annoying when people whine about this or that tactic, or this or that attachment. If it's there to be used, use it.

It has ruined the game and it has been one of my major complaints in all the COD's where this is an issue.  Its not even an issue of Aim Assist.  At medium to close range QS has the effect of enlarging the target making easier to hit a target.  Since the darn thing is a 1-hit kill you are gonna die even if you get the jump on a QS'er and so is the unfortunate team mate behind you.  But hey the kiddies love it and that's who Activision is catering to.  Its a lost cause.  Just don't buy the game anymore.