18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2013 2:35 AM by randomhero204 RSS

Who is Host?

jahMoon

How does anyone figure out there are host?  I haven't seen a good explaination on these forums from anyone who knows they are host.  A lot of complaints about being host, but no explaination on how they know they are host.

I play on local connection only and usually everyone has 4 bar connection.  It appears I'm first in the match, so that means I'm host?  In those matches I do better than when I have a 3 bar connection.  I rather be host even with the lag compensation. 

The only time I notice the game gets really weird is when I play in a party with various connections.  Seems impossible to figure out how to match 4 parties with pings ranging from 50ms to 200ms to other parties with the same variance.

Anyway, I think what people refer to as lag comp is actually a problem of Treyarch trying to matchmake parties into a game. 

I rambled a bit, so anyway. How do you know you are host? 

• Re: Who is Host?

Open the scoreboard right after the loading screen, if you are the only one with a 4 bar then you are Host.

However, it has changed with the last hotfix, now you see three 4 bars at the start and when you quit while being Host, you don't get the Host Migration screen anymore.

jahMoon

I see more than 1 player with 4 bar.  It's not obvious who is host.  However, I play random most of the time with fiber optic connection and a low ping I can assume I'm host most of the time.

Doom?...Had a Q3 server on RoadRunner. I knew I was host then.

What about the countdown timer? If it starts at > 15s then that means you are host. Unless this has been changed too?

jahMoon

Don't know...that is my reason for the post.  I could probably hook up my laptop and monitor network traffic and figure it out...but I'm just not that smart.

Traffic monitor is one way to find out who is the host. But why would anyone do that, if the game runs great then there is no reason to do it. Host or not doesn't matter as long connection is good.

jahMoon

Yea, post done.  I just wonder why so many people complaim about being host and I think I'm host most of the time and do better.  I think the problem is Treyarch matchmaking multiple parties into a match...things get really weird.   

Parties make the connection in the lobbies worse, the best thing is to play solo vs solo players only.

There is more but i won't share my network analyse results cause 1. this could lead to more confusion and 2. its contra productive to share the information.

#TrustInTreyarch.

jahMoon

I think my point was parties are causing matchplaying problems.  However, it way to popular to get rid of.  I play solo to get away from my friends...I talk to them too much in real life.  I play to get away from them.

r8edtripx

People always go on about quickly checking the scoreboard, but I've never seen a true and tried method to know. (except for the host migration message when bailing out. ...and fixblops just said they installed a hotfix where that doesn't happen anymore? Curious to see if that's true)

whiteknight1902

Bring up the scoreboard at the start and you will see 1 person with 4 green bars at start. Also when you're host ylu will start with a timer around 20 and as soon as people connect to you it will instantly jump to 5 seconds, easier to notice during host migration though.

When you are Host and you leave the match then you will not see the Host Migration screen anymore, i've tested it in 3 matches few minutes ago unless your upload is low then it takes a while to get back to the menü. I have 10mb upload so it was instantly for me. Host feels good, no advantage/disadvantage.

randomhero204

Quickly pick class  (like really quick)

Press "back button to bring up "scoreboard"

Only 1 person every time will have 4 bars until the game starts.

Clear indicator for me. Works everytime.