45 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 5:22 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

You're only as good...

nicedrewishfela

Was playing the other night when something happened in the lobby I was in that really caught my attention and got me thinking.

Was playing with a full squad of six and we were put into a lobby with a Clan. One guy from that clan was apparently the "leader" and was explaining how they only accepted players of a certain K/D and if he determined it was good enough they could join. A player in my squad asked what it mattered, to which this Clan Leader promptly and quite harshly responded, "SHUT UP ******, nobody is even talking to you with your 1.16 K/D loser!". You can imagine how my teammate replied to that.

Anyways, we played them in the upcoming match and absolutely destroyed them (it was ugly). The "Clan Leader" earned a whopping .47 K/D in that match, and of course came back into the lobby hollering about how we were all "Trash". I pointed out that for all his talk, his K/D was .47, so not sure why he was telling us we were bad. His response was of course about how high his actual K/D was and blah blah blah, 1v1 me bro.... well you know the drill. My response was simple: "You are only as good as your last game."

In another instance we played against a decent group, not sure if they were a clan, but they beat us pretty well the first match we played against them. Immediately they began talking trash in the lobby, we didn't say much back because we knew we just had it handed to us. The next game, however... we took an early lead which quickly grew into a pretty significant lead. Instead of sticking around, the trash talkers began team-killing eachother so they would get kicked out and not take the hit to their stats. Amazingly ridiculous behavior on both accounts.

My theory for quite some time now in CoD has been the "You're only as good as your last game" mindset. It is quite simple. I do pay attention to my own stats as an indication of my progress or as a baseline for improvement. I still consider myself an average player, but have had a good deal of success in this game and it is unusual for me to not be at the top of, or near the top of, the leaderboards in the lobbies I play in. My K/D of 1.57 may not be impressive to all, but I am quite happy with it, and my SPM continues to go up as well(In the interest of disclosure, its 267(I only play TDM, its around 457 in KC when I do play)). Very pleased with my progress in this game, don't really care what others think of my numbers.

A big reason for that is... I really feel like I am only as good as my last game. I look at my performance in some games and just shake my head and wonder how I could play so badly, and in others I am quite pleased in my performance. For me, it keeps the game fresh and fun, and gives me a reason to keep competing. What did I do well? What areas did I need to improve? I take these mental notes and bring them into my next match. Most of the time, it really does help. I can usually recover from a poor game, while sometimes after a really good game my performance suffers because I try to do exactly the same thing or just overthink my strategy... and sometimes its just wanting to live up to that last game.

So my question to you all is... Does anyone else out there take the same mindset? Do you keep track of your stats but approach it match by match? When you have a good game or a bad game does it effect how you feel about your gameplay, or do you just brush it off based on your overall performance? Also, what are your thoughts on people who bring up their K/D or SPM after losing a game badly or having a dismal performance as a defense for themselves? Is it OK to do that or is it better to accept that you played poorly and just try to do better the next time around?

Curious to hear your thoughts on this. Sorry for the long read, but it is just a topic that has been on my mind these past few days.

• Re: You're only as good...
    rankismet

Honestly... it depends on what I am trying to do.

Example... Running naked (i.e. neither perks nor attachments)... I know it's gonna be a struggle on certain maps.

I get your point, though. In previous titles I had a high WLR but it's way done on BO2 due to the wildly inconsistent matchmaking and host selection.

Stats in this game, to me, are virtually meaningless.

Best feature they made was "mute all except party".

nicedrewishfela

Mute all but party is GOLD.

I know what you mean. I have been working on SMGs to Diamond and pulling my hair out. But I have really set a standard for myself. I know that when I do Art of War and Cherry Blossom it may effect my performance and pretty much expect to get lower scores and even my share of negative matches. Its always a good feeling when I pull a great score while doing those kinds of challenges..

My W/L is good in my opinion at 62%. I have really limited my time playing with randoms and try to play with a party as much as possible. Its cut down on a lot of the frustration, plus its just more fun to play regardless of the outcome.

filthy3627

Good read, I tend to keep track of my stats for my own progress as well. The numbers mean absolutely nothing in the realm of life, so they do not make or break me. I enter every lobby the same, and with the mindset that everyone is the best player I have been up against. I check the lobby spm and learn who I might need to watch out for but other than that they're stats mean nothing to me. I have been in countless lobbies where the top of the leaderboard gets it handed to him and vice versa. On your other topic, I try very hard to be sporty. If I have a good game I don't rub it in and when I get stomped I give credit where it is do. If everyone had the same mindset as you and I, the cod community would be better off. I had a similar thread about league play the other day and had some really good responses, so i know there are mature players at least here on the forums.

nicedrewishfela

Its tough. I am very competitive and in game I react emotionally at times (Something I have tried to work on but its tough, its just who I am). Usually in the lobby I'll just have fun with that person when they ask about it. My answer is always "Heck, if you killed me, you must be cheating!", which always gets a laugh and defuses it.

I think we all know there are quirks in this game, as in all COD games, that really just make certain engagements just seem unreasonable. You will get killed in some seemingly impossible manner and the first thought that comes to your head is "CHEATER!" and sometimes that is what you say immediately as well. Always embarassing when you think someone is cheating and then look at the scoreboard and see they are 3-12 lol.

Agreed on stats. I really, REALLY don't care what other people's stats are. If that person lives up to it, I will compliment them on a good game. I also try not to judge people on one game either, I save that for myself. I know all too well how much it sucks when I just have a game where nothing seems to work for me. I think all real CoD Players have experienced that and it really isn't a good feeling. Some games, no matter what you try...you just can't get it done: be it connection, the other team just simply being better, or just having an off night.

R_Thentik

Whenever I have a bad game, I brush it off do to my overall performance. If helped my team by taking out enemy equipment and we won, that's what matters to me. When I have a good game, I try not to get too hyped about it because everyone is due for a bad game sometime.

When people bring up K/D or SPM, I know that they are sore losers and I just ignore them.

R_Thentik wrote:

When people bring up K/D or SPM, I know that they are sore losers and I just ignore them.

In TDM it is important, but I like SPM more as a gauge to test someone.

nicedrewishfela

I try to as well, some of my online friends say I am too hard on myself. But I am kind of like that in everything I do, so I guess it rubs off in game.

I think going over my overall numbers does help me feel better sometimes, especially after a rough night in which I just felt like I played badly overall. I can find positives, and know where I need to improve.

Never stop learning or improving.

Would be a good philosophy, but then there's lag...

nicedrewishfela

But there has always been lag.

I do tend to put less weight on games in which I am clearly not able to match the opponent's connection. Games in which I feel I am at a severe disadvantage I don't take as personally. But at the same time, in most of those lobbies I am able to change up my strategy to staunch the bleeding somewhat and not do as bad as I might have. Started one match the other day 1-7 and ended up 24-11 after just changing my tactics.

bkblazer

I truely wish they would get rid of lobby chat altogether. As far as numbers go, the only number that really impresses me is a positive w/l. Wether you run with a team or go solo, a positive w/l makes me feel you play the game for the right reasons. But don't get me wrong, a negative w/l or extremely high k/d means nothing to me. As far as my own stats, its just a record of how I play. Of corse I'ld like to see them improve, but I'm going to play the objective and run out into the open with no hesitation. Stats don't dictate my play. On the other hand, I love completing challenges. I will die over and over if need be, as long as I'm progressing challenges.

nicedrewishfela

I have enjoyed the challenges tremendously in this game, as frustrating as some can be. Almost done getting Diamond on my SMGs(2 more to go).

I am right there with you on W/L. If that isn't positive the rest of my stats don't mean a thing, since all I play is Team games.

NoLifeKing29

My numbers in this game are the lowest in any COD. And it doesn't even bother me, because I am workin on stuff, and having fun doing it. Diamond camos aren't easy, some guns are an absolute bear to use, other challenges (tactical knife, iron sights ballista, tribolt xbow) are not going to be nice to my numbers. But its all whatever to me, because I know at any time, I can just take some me-time, and run whatever class I want, and totally misrepresent my actual numbers. Last Wednesday was one of those days, where I raised my HCKC SPM from 279 to 287. When you have 45k kills in HCKC, numbers don't change that fast, but mine sure did. Point is, numbers don't mean anything. I play this game casually 90% of the time, but when I want to, I can call in as many K9 units as the next guy.

nicedrewishfela

I can see that as being fun as well. I try to mix it up when I can. But if I am hurting my team, I will switch to something more effective.

NoLifeKing29

My "teams" success doesn't mean anything to me, as most of the time I am on a team of complete scrubs. More than once I have led the team using only a tactical knife. Its different in KC where even if you die it doesn't neccessarily hurt the team, a lot of times its completely meaningless because they couldn't pick up my tag. You can go 10-30 (and you will using just a tac knife) and still get to 3000 points no problem with concussion/flash assists (which are very annoying because I don't want the assist I want the kill). TDM is not the mode for challenges rly.

Restore_Hardcore

When I go into as match with confidence I usually do good, when I'm intimidated I tend to camp a bit and don't do as well so state of mind is big.

nicedrewishfela

I find that myself. One thing I have noticed in this game is that when I get upset or angry if I can refocus myself I can usually turn it around.  It really all depends on my ability to adjust to the circumstances in the game, but mindset definitely effects how I play.

SitRepPro

Get rid of stats.

People's KD, SPM etc. are all affected by whether they solo or party up, stick to guns they are comfortable with or decide to use different setups for challenges and callign cards, and even then it can still change.  I only play CTF when in a party and I'm usually the last defender to my team's home flag.  I'm usually only busy if my teammates attacking are coming up against a very good side, or they take forever getting the third flag for the round win and aren't trying to extend the match for scorestreaks later on.  Either that or enemies get too close to the home flag and a teammate calls in a care package so I'm there to to kill them.

nicedrewishfela

I say get rid of Leaderboards, or make them an Opt-In for those who care.

I loved the Combat Record on Black Ops. I rarely looked at anyone elses' but I loved studying mine. I am big on knowing areas of weakness and strength. Seeing those numbers would sometimes focus me in the right direction and help me improve. I used my Stats in Conjunction with Combat Training to improve in certain areas, and I think it helped my game.

SitRepPro

Yeah or that.  I just don't like the way it's all out in the public because people play the game with it in mind and if they think dashboarding helps them pad their stats when getting a hiding it will mean more games are lost.

I don't mind some stats, may be limited to friend viewership or something.  Only stats I'm interested in is gun accuracy but all I get a simple percentage.  I'd find average (mean, mode or whatever) kills and compare that to accuracy with setups and maps much more productive.  But I don't think I will ever see something that 'sophisticated' for a computer game.  I tend to know from experience roughly which attachments to use etc but I guess I'd be interesting to see some mathematical proof of performances.  It might even quell some stereotypes that some COD gamers moan about.  I know I got quite a few headshots with the ACOG on the QBB LSW and I'll assume because it lowers recoil.  It does, but it only increases centrespeed by 2% so if I'm doing well aiming for headshots and getting them with a good return, it's unlikely the 2% extra is doing it.  It's just not enough to have an impact.

SeraphOne

I think its very hard to be serious about how good/bad you are as it almost entirely depends on the lagcomp present for each individual game and which hotfix is running.

If you're able to do some LAN based games then you can start comparing skill but in this particular iteration of COD its really weighted to your connection/s

nicedrewishfela

I think that is overblown to some degree. I think it boils down to consistency. Good players will consistently be at the top of the scoreboard in their lobbies more often than not.

Connection can effect certain players, but usually in the long run it will be more detrimental than anything.

vims1990

Great post and I can relate to it.

I don't use stats as a way to brag, I use it as a tool to improve as a player

However, I would completely remove it as I feel players obsess over it. What I mean is that they'll dashboard or quit just to maintain their K/D etc.

Players do or say the most ridiculous things just because they can't accept doing bad. It is so rare for someone to say "Good Game", or "Hey, you're pretty good at the game, do you want to party up?.

When I lose a match, it gives me a reason to stay in and try to win the next match, not to quit.

A couple of nights ago, I played an entire party on Hijacked Domination. The opposing team dashboarded just as our team gained the lead. I guess some players cannot handle losing.

The mentality of COD players is that apparently everyone's a winner.

SeraphOne

I think you're right, removing the stats would be a good idea. Maybe keeping Domination Points Captured or Flags, etc might be good but SPM, K/D or W/L aren't really relevant and encourage negative gameplay

BamBoozeLLed

My thing is HAVE FUN! I don't worry about stats cause what do stats matter, I'm not playing this game to earn money or anything like that. 98% of the time I'm just trying to enjoy myself and I have noticed whenever I'm having a good time because of the party I'm chatting with or friends are over joking and stuff, or just overall not worrying about it. Oh no I had a bad game my stats are ruined ill never have any friends or get respect from the bro online haha who cares! Playing with a clear positive mind is my best strategy, can't lie I don't always execute it well but that's when I play my worst. Can't speak for everyone but its a big part for me. I have decided to not check my stats unless I'm just bs'ing with friends other then that there is no point for me.

If I want to "turn it on" if you will I can play serious and more focused but I refuse to try and hold that integrity 100% of the time and put this added stress on myself. It's a game that's all it will be replaced in a year or less those stats go away and everyone's worried about the next installment.

If feel bad for the folks who either have or choose to take this so seriously.

I don't see it like "you're only as good as your last game." But more like "every match is a new game." Shake of whatever happened last game cause this next one is all new.

2 cents tossed in.

nicedrewishfela

There is a lot of truth to that. As I have stated I like having the stats for myself. I don't push them in people's faces, but it helps me know where I am and how I am performing.

I hate Leaderboards. I think that is the source of the problem. Keep them for League Play if they choose to continue that, and wipe them clean every season to keep people honest.

jwaller123

vims1990 wrote:

A couple of nights ago, I played an entire party on Hijacked Domination. The opposing team dashboarded just as our team gained the lead. I guess some players cannot handle losing.

I find it funny when players do that. Do they not know they get a loss anyways? Lol.

vims1990

jwaller123 wrote:

vims1990 wrote:

I find it funny when players do that. Do they not know they get a loss anyways? Lol.

Haha, so true. Whenever I see those "....disconnected by transmission error" or "....timed out", all I can do is laugh.

Rarely you'll see a "...left the game"

I'm with you I have it set to hear friends only,I've had it that way for about 6 yrs now. Got tired of hearing people complain.to your point about kd and spm ,I love looking at the leader board and seeing someone with a high kd. I go after them, my goal is to make them quit. My friends laugh at me because I will tell them I'm going after them and 3 mins into the game they disconnect.

SeraphOne

Out of interest, how do you target 1 person in particular and achieve your goal of making them quit?

... I only ask because sometimes I'd like to do the same

people that have high kd and low spm are usually not moving to much, i keep them out of the spots they want to get into. i play hardcore so i watch to see where those people kill them at and figure out where they are hiding at and chase them out until they quit

people that have high kd and low spm are usually not moving to much, i keep them out of the spots they want to get into. i play hardcore so i watch to see where those people kill them at and figure out where they are hiding at and chase them out until they quit

nicedrewishfela

Amazing how that works, isn't it? It is always the ones talking the most trash that seem to disappear once they start to lose. The nice folks always stick around.

I don't want to limit myself. If a lobby is bad I will set to Mute All but party, but I have met a lot of cool people in lobbies just through lobby chatter. I mute the idiots and just focus on the good ones. Not as easy as it used to be, but its always worth it when you find someone interesting to talk to.

Jhumpss

People often boost their K/d, or camp for extensive period of time just to get a high k/d, w/l is a much better perspective on how good a player is, especially if they are a solo player as even trying to hold a 1w/l is very impressive. You cant be carried every game. The highest w/l I've ever got in a cod title was 1.6 which i was extremely happy with considering I never play with anyone. Clans that recruit on k/d are stupid, they dont take into account people improving with rank and actually playing above their registered k/d. Also if you look at top competitive players they usually have a standard k/d even going negative in pubs, so its not a true representitive of how good a player is, as it doesn't take into consideration their role in the game.

jwaller123

That was a bit of a read, but a good read. I will agree with you on all points. My overall stats are very similar to yours. (Although your K/D is higher) I can look at my stats and think they are crap one day and awesome the next. Just depends on the mood I am in, but I NEVER rub them in if they happen to be better then someon elses. I know what is or isn't a good game for myself and that's all that really matters. As a random your statement of "Your only good as your last game" holds much truth. You can't exactly base your performance off of other players due their inconsistencies. If you are in a squad your statement still holds true, but your performance can also be based off of them. To an extent that is, because if you are playing as a team, you are winning and losing as a team. You know their strengths and weaknesses and can plan strategies around that.

As for the trash talkers I think that is just a way to defend their poor game. Just because you have a lower K/D or SPM does not mean your a trash player. This could be your first FPS ever, or you might be older and have slower reflexes. There are numerous reasons why an idividual has the stats that he has. They don't understand that a high K/D or SPM won't get you a job, a car, a house...etc...It is mearly a number on a TV screen. Would I like to have a 2+ K/D with a 400 SPM..Yes, I am sure we would ALL like better stats, but at the end of the day all that matters is how much fun you had playing.

LargeLentils

on BO2 your only as good as your lag.

r8edtripx

I try to keep the mindset of, "You're only as good as your connection will allow you to be." - This motto helps me not rage when I'm on the raw end of the connection. Of course, when I'm on the good end of the connection and I bust a 66/10 with nice objective contribution, then that motto doesn't enter my mind, and I say to myself, "I'm a BEAST!" Lol.

Yeah, the douchery you describe in those lobbies have caused me to just mute everyone. I don't even want to have any exchange with people like that. They win they talk smack, they lose, they talk smack. Nope. Do not want to deal with that.

SquatPainter

I was in a lobby the other night, noticed someone rocking a zip code as a clan tag same as mine....just asked him "hey where ya from." He answered and I said" hey you're like 4 miles from me" . Then the douchebaggery kicked in from a few. It wasn't like we were catching up on old times or being overly friendly just thought it was cool that out of the hundreds of thousands of people playing on line, we could throw a rock at each other. Really....? Lighten up people, it's perfectly fine to try and make friends.

nicedrewishfela

I know what you mean there. I play with a group of guys that discuss pretty much anything and everything. Sometimes it will throw us into a lobby in the middle of these discussions and there always seems to be at least one idiot who has to make a comment. When I hear that, it is usually an instant mute. I just don't need to deal with that.

Sometimes, however, will get folks who participate in the discussion. Those folks are always the best.

Sadly it seems the jerks are louder than the nice guys.

SquatPainter

I just recently rejoined the gaming world after several years away from it. My step son who is 26, has several buddies that he's played with for years....never met them anywhere but a gaming lobby. They met playing on line and have been playing off and on for quite a number of years. I rarely see that kind of friendliness in the lobbies I'm in. I'll admit, I'm not a big talker while playing.....keep the mic muted mostly unless in a party with my step son, grandson, or a buddy I work with. Could be that I'm so old, I can't talk and shoot at the same time.. The reflexes aren't quite what they used to be.

nicedrewishfela

I hear that. Not that old but my reflexes get worse every year.

I just like to talk and try to be friendly to people. Some people it is just plain impossible, unfortunately. I dont really know that many people on my Friends list. Most are people I met in game and then friends of their I was introduced to. We play similarly and they are fun to hang out with.