31 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 12:35 PM by Razed88 RSS

Is the millimeter scanner useless?

killb0xonealpha

I think it needs a little, not too much, faster sweep. it kinda sucks when it changes the pace of your game. i know it's used in a lot of SnD & HC types. if that was its intended purpose for those gametypes.

• Re: Is the millimeter scanner useless?

in domination:

step 1. throw smoke on B flag.

step 2. run into smoke to cap B flag.

step 3. use mms to see through smoke and get capture kills.

killabig

There comes a point after playing COD for so long that you realize any addition sights for guns are useless. Honestly, there are a few guns that the  additional sights are actually better for aiming to some extent.

mike\

I have around 1000 or so kills with the MMS, and I have found that for my play style that while I DID get a few wallbang kills, the real benefit was being able to see if someone is camping in a building without needing to check every corner when entering a building, definitely not a worthless attachment, but there are usually better options.

I think we would see more use of the MMS if it was available to Light Machine Guns, which in my opinion are the guns it is most suited to.

What would be a buff is sticking FMJ on with this attachment...

bkblazer

Yes, I used it in SnD. It only works on players that don't move, so it can be decieving if the enemy is running behind a corner. If the enemy is laying prone, just waiting for the your team to turn a corner, its great to see where he is, line up your crosshair to him, and then slighty shift into the open to quickly take him out. This worked on Slums a bunch.

Ungrateful_Dead

You have highlighted the problem I have with the MMS.  It definitely slows down your gameplay, especially if you are ADSing while advancing and looking for bad guys around the next corner. 

It is a different type of attachment, and one that has some nice benefits when used correctly.  When you spot that guys outline crouched behind a wall you were going to go by, it brings a smile to your face, because you know you are going to ambush the ambusher.  Like some have mentioned, smoke is a friend of the MMS.

I made a class up to try out how much of a knob I could be with the MMS.  PDW with MMS/Silencer, perks of choice, smoke + bouncing betty.  While defending a Hard Point, you know that the enemy is going to try and swarm you eventually.  Just before they would rush in, I would drop a betty and lay down the smoke before going to some sneaky vantage point and commence to ADS.  I was surprised at how effective it was in some lobbies (some maps/lobbies it was pointless).  Kind of nooby knobby, but it was a fun experiment. 

rankismet

killb0xonealpha wrote:

I think it needs a little, not too much, faster sweep. it kinda sucks when it changes the pace of your game. i know it's used in a lot of SnD & HC types. if that was its intended purpose for those gametypes.

I find it pretty useless, TBH. You can't use it with FMJ, distance is too short, cycle is too slow, and it decreases accuracy?

You can tell they thought it would be more used/abused than the TF...

... ooops.

spanky'smonkey

it really needs a buff. increase the pulse speed and it might be more useful.

ShocKuMzzz

I find it useful on small maps like Slums, Grind, Hydro, and sometimes Express. The fact that it has NO zoom makes it pointless on larger maps.

skippinglobster

I use iron sights most of the time, but when I don't like the iron sights then I'll slap the mms on. It's basically just a red dot sight except it comes in handy when you get into a gun fight with some one head glitching.

killb0xonealpha

agreed... why would a scope that doesn't even have good zoom, or zoom at all, DECREASE anything. i really don't have a prob with the range. i'd like to know the actual technics of how it registers motion cuz you see slow moving ppl with it when it should only pick up an enemy that's not moving. so the scan must have picked up on that player when he was not moving then register motion... so wouldn't i see the same dude if he was not moving, got the scan, then did a sprint. cuz i've never seen a sprinting ghost anytime i used the MMS. most of the time ppl are moving anyway which makes it (in theory) useless & only situational. they need to fix cold blood (i've seen those vids) i even agree with fixing the MMS in that aspect. they definitely need to fix the target finder, that scope is super abused & broken.

sqitso

I like the MMS as an optice only. I think the seeing through walls thing is pretty gimicky and just a big as distraction, as it works in waves. You get so busy waiting for the next wave you get shot in the back. Almost as distracting as looking up at a UAV scan, and getting popped because you took your eyes off the screen.

What I don't get is why the MMS decreases your stats soooo bad. Put it on a gun and look at how red it makes your stats. Puts them in the toilet. Yes it sees through walls but from an optic standpoint it is no better than a red dot. Why wouldn't it have the same specs as a standard red dot at least?

ChronoZombie

I like the MMS in theory, but it needs a buff.  Either increase the sweep, or let it scan moving targets, like the heartbeat sensor did.  I'd also like the outline to be a little more visible.

I really wish cold blooded didn't block MMS.

killb0xonealpha

here's what i think. if it needs a buff i think it should scan right when you put your weapon in ADS. cuz you can see it sweep constantly when the gun is at the hip, but when you ADS it still retains the motion of the sweep at the hip. so you end up waiting for the current sweep to finish and the next one to start.

plus while we're on the subject on making it different... here's another direction: if we can't do the mentioned how bout DECREASING the sweep and range, BUT make it able to see all targets moving or still?

the mms is poop, its distracting and worthless.. in order to make it worth using, it needs to constant scan in front of you and anyone who stops will glow except CB users

oooCHRISPYooo

I use on shotguns and only tried it to complete the challenge for it. I ended up liking it more than I thought. It works through smoke very well and it has helped me find people hiding around corners and behind objects. I've captured many flags in dom being able to see through smoke screens. I didn't find the pulse scan too slow once I used it of awhile and then got use to it. I think it helped me be a little more cautious running into buildings and tight areas because I now take a sec to scan really quickly before I run in head on. Once you see the scan of your enemy it also allows you to plan your attack on his position better.

Razed88

I don't find it great for it's purpose (being able to see people through solid objects) but I love the field of view it gives and I also think the reticle is perfect.

Therefore I often use it just for the great sight and ignore the scanner.

I guess this is just because the ACOG sucks and I can't really adjust to the EOTech.