44 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 1:18 PM by Severance0 RSS

The Ridiculous Crossbow Challenge

I just had to come on and vent, I GOT EXTREMELY LUCKY and got my crossbow gold this morning after trying for a whole day to get the SKULLS CHALLENGE (1 bloodthirsty) with it. I know that I am going to be in a VERY small percentage of people who have it gold because this challenge is INSANE. When I say I got it by luck I mean just that.  I got 4 kills and on the 5th kill I stuck the guy and immediately after that he hit me with a combat axe but it still gave it to me. It was a VERY rewarding feeling especially after trying for so long to get it, but this is one of the handful of challenges out the Call Of Duty series that I feel like is kind of ridiculous. The reason I say that is because the mechanics behind the crossbow seem to be completely broken. I don't know how many times I was aiming at a guy that wasn't moving and somehow the shot missed. This weapon is almost completely useless...UNLESS... you get the tribolt attachment then it works rather well. All I have have to say the rate at which you can actually stick someone with this thing is laughable, and I have never seen an explosive device in this series that can land millimeters away from someone and not do ANY damage. If you have tendency to smash controllers YOU SHOULD NOT DO THIS CHALLENGE and stay away from this weapon.

• Re: The Ridiculous Crossbow Challenge

I dont know if this will help anyone, but I saw a guy destroying with a crossbow on Aftermath.

I guess he had scavenger and was just dropping bolts into the middle area.  This was on HC, and he eventually got kicked, but I could see how this would net you a bloodthirsty.

nicedrewishfela

Yep.. Challenge means hard.

chal·lenge

[chal-inj] http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html Show IPA noun, verb, chal·lenged,chal·leng·ing, adjective

noun
    a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill,strength, etc.

something that by its nature or character serves as a call tobattle, contest, special effort, etc.: Space exploration offers achallenge to humankind.

gdexter

Why are you posting then??

You got it - well done.

You completed the CHALLENGE

slap1i

I finally got the gold camo for the crossbow over the weekend.  The last challenge for me to complete was the car challenge.  Only certain maps have cars, and once they explode they're gone.  From what I understand, trucks & vans don't count for this challenge.  The Bloodthirsty came within the first hour of trying for it in Sticks & Stones. 

NoLifeKing29

I guess you were playing something other than Sticks and Stones..your fault for making it harder than it really is.

Why are people giving the OP a hard time?

I'm doing the crossbow at the moment. Had a few fours but not a Bloodthirsty yet. I'm sure I'll get it though as I've been close already.

I also wonder if anyone knows if Tri Bolts work for this one,

Crossbow: Crossbow Clip Get a kill with every round in a clip from your Crossbow. 2500 XP

Any practical advice appreciated

NoLifeKing29

Just look at his pathetic replies to people, thats why. Sticks and Stones.

I don't think tri-bolts are the way to go for this one. I tried it for a little while but the cross bow is the weirdest weapon in the game. I think even with the tri-bolts it would only attribute a kill to one of the arrows. And because the splash damage is pretty much non-existent I took the tri-bolt off and used the single arrows when I got it. I would recommend team death match as the objective gametypes while they appear to be the better options are a little too chaotic and make it hard to focus on targets. Because the splash damage doesn't really kill anybody you can't just wait for some one to try to take an objective and shoot an arrow in the general area.  Although I HATED IT, This would have been a nice time to have danger close from MW2? 

Actually COD_WIDOW I only responded negatively to those who had smart ass comments. Not quite sure how one thinks they can give a smart ass comment and not get a negative response back.

atruefan wrote:

Actually COD_WIDOW I only responded negatively to those who had smart ass comments. Not quite sure how one thinks they can give a smart ass comment and not get a negative response back.

Forum self preservation rule number 1, Don't feed the trolls mate.

slap1i

The tri-bolt does NOT work towards this challenge.  I play Demolition, and I thought it would be easy to get this one by sneaking up on a bomb planter, and hit him with all three bolts from point blank.  I made all 3 stick, but the challenge didn't like it.

slap1i wrote:

The tri-bolt does NOT work towards this challenge.  I play Demolition, and I thought it would be easy to get this one by sneaking up on a bomb planter, and hit him with all three bolts from point blank.  I made all 3 stick, but the challenge didn't like it.

Thanks for the advice.

Furball

Yea, lol some of these challenges are stupidly reduculous......getting a triple kill with the Smaw/RPG  was hard for mee...as a lot of people run flak jacket....made it near impossible to get a triple....but I got it....on nuketown, domination.....it was rewarding and I had got my Diamond camo...it felt epic.

nflfenatic

Don't you know all you have to do is get a party of eight and play sticks and stones. How hard is that. Personally I am wondering what you are going to do with your gold crossbow. If you print a picture of it and take it to starbucks they'll sell you  a cup of coffee for four bucks.

nflfenatic wrote:

Don't you know all you have to do is get a party of eight and play sticks and stones. How hard is that. Personally I am wondering what you are going to do with your gold crossbow. If you print a picture of it and take it to starbucks they'll sell you  a cup of coffee for four bucks.

I don't really think boosting is the correct answer.

otherkrab

the crossbow challenge is crazy hard but it's certainly do-able, i did it and i'm not the greatest player in the world. I too have experienced missing still players when i thought i'd had the killshot. the crossbow only becomes effective with attachments, like tri-bolt and or dual band scope and it is the most unforgiving weapon if you miss.

lPikachu

I had it gold within the release week :/ i wanted something gold asap, i didnt find it too challenging

ChronoZombie

I finally got my crossbow gold last night! 

I made a crossbow only class, no primary.  Dual band, scavenger/fast hands, flak jacket and tactical mask, flashbang.  I forget what the last points were spent on, probably perk 3 greed and engineer or dexterity.  Flak jacket/Tac mask are my bloodthristy combo- especially tac mask, as nothing seems to interrupt a good streak as much as a concussion grenade.

I got it in hard core- as much as I wanted to do it in core where I could regenerate health, the instant kill in HC was a better choice, as half the time I stick someone in core they kill me before the bolt explodes.   I'm pretty good with the xbow and use it as a counter sniper on my shotgun class, but the tight map design makes close quarters a certainty.  Also, in HC the impact kill grants a scavenger bag so I don't absolutely have to pick up a weapon off the ground.

By the way, I don't know why anyone thinks Sticks and Stones is the place to get a bloodthirsty- I'd much rather do it with scavenger in this game because the accuracy is a joke,  If I had to get 5/6 in BO1 I am sure I could, but in this game not a chance.

Shield, Combat Knife and Crossbow done, now just the Ballistic, which will be easy in comparison.

YAY got mine Gold just now. I managed the full clip challenge in FFA and the Bloodthirsty in Sticks and Stones.

Just the 2nd tier Shield challenges now

Cheezbrger

I've gotten 4 kills with that thing 7 times and just can't get that 5th kill.  I stopped trying because I don't want to spend any more money on new controllers and my wife gets upset about all the holes in the wall.

ab36

The Crossbow's definitely one of the tougher weapons to get gold... I've actually gotten a lot better with it by going through the challenges though lol It's difficult but perhaps extra rewarding after having completed it mostly without playing Sticks n Stones

But if you want to talk about one of the most difficult sets of challenges, it's the assault shield. That thing is messed up, because you can easily get shot through the shield, have your hits somehow miss, etc. Getting that one gold was probably the toughest of everything I've gotten gold (which is everything but the snipers, LMGs and pistols)

goober11

After I got my 300 kills to unlock the challenges it took me about 150 kills to finish gold camo.  Personally I gave up trying to get the bloodthirsty on Sticks/ stones.  I got to  4 kills a couple times and either died or ran out of ammo.  I switched to demo. Ran dualband with smoke.  Threw smoke down around bomb sites. Watched the enemy come in try to plant under cover and picket them off.  I got it on my first try.

whiteknight1902

As with the ballistic knife,  just play sticks and stones.

Very easy to do.

VanDrad24

The crossbow is one my favorite weapons in the game , the quest for gold was difficult but definitely worth it.  Nothin quite as satisfying as sticking someone  across the map with a well placed bolt.

februarystars81

I feel your pain buddy. I think its harder to get in sticks and stones tbh as you can only miss once. I completed the skulls challenge by complete accident. Was playing sharpshooter and had already killed 2 people with the pdw then the weapon changed to crossbow. At that point i didnt know you could get mixed kills and complete a bloodthirsty challenge (i.e. as long as you get 5 kills with that weapon in a life it counts as a bloodthirsty, doesnt have to be consecutive kills with same weapon) i was freaking delighted when it flashed up i had completed the skulls/unlocked gold camo!

came on, this is a easy challange... just play stick and stones. if you have skills doesnt matter what's the challange

Severance0

Congrats on finally getting it! However, not to rain on your parade, the secondaries (Riot Shield/Ballistic Knife/Combat Knife/Crossbow) were pretty easy to get diamond for and the first things I got diamond camo for. I had a lot of fun getting the crossbow gold, the bloodthirsty was not difficult at all for me, you just had to be patient and change your playstyle a bit. The one that did annoy me the most was the car one because the game wouldn't register my the kills from cars until the 6th or 7th time that I actually got a kill by blowing up a car.

The one's that piss me off the most are the pistols...I currently have 3 gold and am half way through headshots with another. No matter how I aim, way above the head, just below it, right in the midle of it, using a red dot aimed at the head, using the laser for hipfiring...etc, I still can't get consistent results.  Headshots with pistols are EXTREMELY inconsistent and it is the most aggravating thing ever! I can't count the numerous times I crept up on someone pointed the gun just ABOVE their head, fired and STILL GOT A HIT MARKER or a kill that didn't count as a headhot?!!?! I also randomly shoot at the legs and sometimes that gives me headshots? Fix the damn hit marker registration.