26 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 2:35 PM by ghamorra RSS

Where ya going, aim assist?

Highwayman0226

First off, aim assist is way to strong.  When it's working, it takes absolutely no skill to get kills.  On the other hand, if you are experiencing any lag at all, it seems to add to your problems.

Many times, I will be behind cover, aiming at an opening waiting for those red dots to show up.  All of a sudden, my gun drifts off the left, only to have a head appear where my sight was aimed a second earlier.  I just lost any advantage I had.

I'm shooting at a guy long range or lining up a shot, and an enemy runs in front of him.  My gun makes an attempt to follow the guy running and the guy I was locked on and ready to pull the trigger on gets a kill.

I'm so tempted to turn this feature off, but when it's working, you are at a disadvantage by having it disabled.

• Re: Where ya going, aim assist?
    Izjar11

Highwayman0226 wrote:

First off, aim assist is way to strong.  When it's working, it takes absolutely no skill to get kills.  On the other hand, if you are experiencing any lag at all, it seems to add to your problems.

Many times, I will be behind cover, aiming at an opening waiting for those red dots to show up.  All of a sudden, my gun drifts off the left, only to have a head appear where my sight was aimed a second earlier.  I just lost any advantage I had.

I'm shooting at a guy long range or lining up a shot, and an enemy runs in front of him.  My gun makes an attempt to follow the guy running and the guy I was locked on and ready to pull the trigger on gets a kill.

I'm so tempted to turn this feature off, but when it's working, you are at a disadvantage by having it disabled.

Aim assist is a strong force in this game, I really believe its part of the the dark side of the force. I never feel it help me, it just moves my gun when I least expect it.

It needs to be removed completely imo.

Bigmoose589

the aim assist needs a slider bar .

but they wont add it in.

Highwayman0226

Any of you disable it?  Do you notice much difference?  Better experience or worse?

ladylucina

i turned it off. played for quite a while with it off. i noticed a difference. stating the obvious here but when its turned on i could ads a little off the target but the aim assist would actually pull me on target. obviously then when i turned it off i had to be spot on or i would just be shooting in one spot.

Highwayman0226

See, I don't really notice it pulling me on target when ADS.  If I pull up and I'm off just a little, it doesn't put it on target.  However, if I turn quickly to the right or left and there is a guy/gal near me, it usually snaps right on.  A distance limit perhaps?

ladylucina

maybe you are right. i can't say for sure because i really don't know. i would love an answer to it to be truthful. I was playing on drone before ok, i turned aim assist on, so we started at the A flag (playing dom) and i just knew there would be snipers up the back of the C flag so i flanked around and as i went up behind the C flag (you all know where i mean lol) i swear i could have left my controller on the ground without touching it, it pulled my target right on the 2 snipers that were prone there. i wasnt ads or anything, i was just running up behind ( i dont like to be cautious, i just run in there lmao) and then it just pulled my screen to the left without me touching it. I can only assume that wouldnt have happened if aim assist was turned off

BukLau101

Aim assist definately needs to toned down a bit. I don't know if it's just me but it fells like blops 2 has the strongest aim assist.

Highwayman0226

No question.  You'll be running and all of sudden you start to turn to the right or left.  Sure, it's nice of it to let you know there is a guy near you, but if you can't/don't see him, how is it fair that you are aware of him because of aim assist?  He obviously outplayed you by getting that close without you noticing, but aim assist lets you know he's there, even though you are just walking.

first, stop camping... second i have noticed this, however turning aim assist off doesnt help, it makes it very difficult to get kills, your better off just dieingf romt hat one kill than to be a fraction of a hair off and die

TRU11

if you turn it off , you better be prepared to die alot.

especially if you on the bad side of lagg alot.

if you dont experience lagg then it might be worth it but its takes alot of skill to use and your sensitivity should not be to high.

also the reason why i think its so strong in this game is because they where epexcting this laggfest.

i think it was easier to just up this , instead of working on a solution to solve the lagg.

ElseAndrew

I fully agree, I don't think it should activate when you're ADS as you generally aim to lock on target you don't want that ruined by an enemy running by your target, I'm sure it helps more than it effects you but it could do with some tweaking.

What do you guys think about removing completely, i personally think it's a stupid addition to any FPS, if you can't aim and kill then so be it, why should they give us something that makes a game easier, it's supposed to be challenging, not made easy.

of course aim assist is stronger on this game,just look at your accuracy for each gun,mine is up around 5% on any other cod game averaging about 25% accuracy

ghamorra

Aim Assist needs to stay, but definitely turned down. Using a controler fails to replicate real life aiming, AA helps ease this transition, but its far too strong and makes this game impossible sometimes

Yes but the point would be if it was gone, EVERYONE would have the same hardships and need for skill to actually aim.

So because everyone would be at the same disadvantage, the game would actually be more balanced and those who actually have the skill to aim would be rewarded instead of punished, like it is now.

I've gotten more headshots and kills from hip firing than I have from actually taking my time to aim. Often times I lose gun battles solely because I aimed.

Alky6

I don't notice any aim assist, I even went into options to check if it was on.  To me aim assist is what you get in single player, aim in the general direction and it sucks your aim right on to the target.

rlbl

(wall of text warning)

The reason why your gun drifts and points at nothing is because the system knows someone is there.  If you wait to fire at the person you eventually see, that person may have already spotted you and you could die.  This is what happens when one claims "they emptied a clip into someone, and they turned and killed me with one bullet... but the killcam showed them shooting 1st"

If you ever think someone is coming so you ADS to shoot them and your gun pulls for no reason: FIRE

You may observe getting hitmarkers even when you cannot see the person. This is observed when the lag in the game is a bit too much,.. oh, and excellent lead in for lag compensation...

So how that works is: Let's say you waited for the enemy to actually show up on your screen (assuming you did not fire in the scenario above). You see the enemy and fire at where you see him.. but remember he may no longer actually be there.  The system may grant you hitmarkers (and hopefully a kill) if it can compensate for the delay between when you saw the enemy and when the player was actually there.  If the lag is not too great, the system can guestimate that you are shooting at where the enemy was in the acceptable timeframe that you are lagged, and award you with a hit.  Remember that we are dealing with data transferring and everything you see, has already happened (RTD). That is lag compensation (simplified and no math in the explanation).

Just reiterate: If you ever think someone is coming so you ADS to shoot them and your gun pulls for no reason - FIRE

* RTD - round trip delay (in this context, the time it takes for information to reach the host, distributed and received to the other players)

Highwayman0226

Great advice here, although it's hard to get used to shooting at ghosts. 

A note on Lag Compensation though, cause there is so much misinformation about it floating around.  I'm under the impression it either

a) Takes everyones data and puts everyone on a delay to process, then sends data back to everyone so we are all seeing the same thing on our screens (I probably didn't explain that too well). 

b) I'm pinging 50 ms to the host, rlbl is pinging 250 ms to the host.  So, my actions are delayed by 200 ms to rlbl's actions.  Meaning, I'll shoot at him, but my bullets won't register for almost a quarter of a second.  In theory, this should work, but the descrepencies are much more than 200 ms.  Often times, with a better connection, it takes 1000 ms for your bullets to register.

Your actions being delayed are one thing, but when a person rounds a corner a full second before you see them, there is no way you have a chance.  This is lag as opposed to lag comp, correct?

rlbl

Highwayman0226 wrote:

... when a person rounds a corner a full second before you see them, there is no way you have a chance.  This is lag as opposed to lag comp, correct?

correct:

Lag = delay (in every online game)

Lag Compensation = system correcting for delay so everything is on an equal footing (when/if possible)

Misconceptions:

- being slowed down

- being punished for having a better connection

- etc...

Highwayman0226 wrote:

b) I'm pinging 50 ms to the host, rlbl is pinging 250 ms to the host.  So, my actions are delayed by 200 ms to rlbl's actions.  Meaning, I'll shoot at him, but my bullets won't register for almost a quarter of a second.  In theory, this should work, but the descrepencies are much more than 200 ms.  Often times, with a better connection, it takes 1000 ms for your bullets to register.

Your actions being delayed are one thing

If you are pining 50ms to the host and I am pinging 250ms, a better way to look at it would be like this:

you send data (like move a step forward) : it takes 50ms to reach the host

The host sends the data to everyone in the game. I am lagged (250ms to the host). Your movement will take 300ms (50 from you, then 250 from host to me)

This means when you take a step, I will not see you take it for 300ms.  This is why I can shoot at you when you take a corner. From my point of view, you have not taken the corner yet, even though you did over a quarter second ago.  This is why you die even though on your screen you were around the corner - on my screen, you weren't. Lag compensation kicked in and said:

RLBL, you saw him in front of you... I know the player ran around the corner but it is not fair that you did not see this. So I am going to back up the clock to see if you were shooting where the player was 300ms ago.

Yes?  You get hitmarkers (this is hit detection WORKING)

No? You have bad aim, not hits (this is also hit detection WORKING)

The problem happens when a player is so lagged that the system does not compensation well, cause hit detection to fail (I emptied a clip into someone and I did not get hitmarkers!!! the guy was glitched and ran God Mode!!! I am going to the forums to report a hacker!!!)

---

The problem is not lag or lag compensation (really)... it is that a player (or players) got put into match that he/she should NEVER have been put in, because they are too lagged from the host.

I thought everyone turned it off, in fact it was the first thing i did. Maybe i will turn it back on.