20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2013 8:58 AM by Ungrateful_Dead RSS

Its like I'm behind the wheel of a car that drives itself

ghamorra

Sometimes when I play a match (and by sometimes I mean most of the time) I sense that the game is for or against me. I'll shoot someone several times causing them to flinch, then the first bullet shot out of their gun is a shot to my head because that's where the flinching motion aimed their gun at.

Then I'll respawn in a wide open space only to be rained down upon by a HK or LS. The next respawn will be infront of an enemy and for the next 5 deaths I'll be left wondering why I even both trying to play if I'm just going to be killed instantly after every spawn.

But as soon as I lose hope God mode will kick in. I'll sprint around the map getting double kills and even though my screen is completely red to the point I can't see I'm still taking damage and just running through people getting tons of kills. I can't miss if I tried, its as if my gun is aiming itself. But as soon as I hit my final Streak I'll die.

On spawn the game goes South again. My aim will be everywhere and getting just one hitmarker becomes a challenge. I'll follow a guy around emptying a clip but get nothing, like lag just randomly decided to turn itself on. People will stand in front of me but I won't see them. I press "reload" three or four times but it won't do anything, and when I do start to reload I'll be trying to shoot a guy

Then, as always the match finishes with me getting one or two more kills. to finish of good streaks and bad streaks. Then this leads me to beg a question, how many of my kills were from me playing well and how many of my deaths were from me making bad decisions? If the game is going to impact how I play so much then why bother trying?

• Re: Its like I'm behind the wheel of a car that drives itself

A lot of it has to do with the game chosing your bullets that hit and miss. It's supposed to be based on the accuracy of the weapon and purposely makes some bullets miss. What's interesting is when it chose to miss. Is the game influencing who wins in a 1 vs. 1? Hard to tell, but it always seems like we might as well just be bots.

How else are you going to killing people without getting in trouble?

ladylucina

I love this thread. Really love this thread because this is exactly what happens to me. I run around, killing people like there is no tomorrow, oh look, 1 kill away from warthog, BOOM, i'm dead from getting 10 hitmarkers on a guy/gal and he/she shoots me once and i'm dead. not only that but when i respawn i go on a 5-6 death streak. how is this possible lol

Highwayman0226

Are you suggesting inconsistant connectivity or conspiracy?  (I like conspiricies!)

Izjar11

ghamorra wrote:

If the game is going to impact how I play so much then why bother trying?

Good question,

This week I have noticed allot more spawn points in maps such as hijacked, but revenge spawn was always in this game. When spawning in known spawn trap locations we need to be as ready as possible (if your lucky).

Bad vs good decisions are always there and we all know when we choose to do something that just didn't work.

phxs72

It's a combination of things.  This game has soooo much to do with timing that it is really easy to find yourself on a long death streak.  Factor in a bad host (why won't my gun reload already?!) and bad luck can abound.  It's a hard lesson for me to learn because I like to rush into the action but when you find yourself losing everygun fight, slow down a minute and let the enemy come to you.  From what I can tell gunfights are won/lost on a split second advantage.  So you need to put that advantage on your side.  If you win one fight then you are able to engage the next enemy a split second before they are ready for you and you win that fight too.  But run into a guy that's a split to the point ahead of you and you lose.

Edit:  Gun attachments also make a difference.  I don't run grip much but last night I tried it on the Hammer because it seemed like I was losing too many gunfights that I thought that I should have won.  Just the small accuracy improvement that Grip gave me was enough to put the edge back in my favor.  I'm sure that it had a lot to do with the fact that I was mostly engaging in med to long range fights but it made the difference for me.

ghamorra

phxs72 wrote:

It's a hard lesson for me to learn because I like to rush into the action but when you find yourself losing everygun fight, slow down a minute and let the enemy come to you.  From what I can tell gunfights are won/lost on a split second advantage.  So you need to put that advantage on your side

There was a time when I believed this, but recently even slowing things down are at a disadvantage to me. I'll be work methodically through a house when the Flash sprints in and runs circles around me. I don't even seen him and killcam shows that he was standing in front of me and then ran behind me for the the stab.

I'm left going, "well that escalated quickly"

phxs72

LOL I've seen the Flash too.  That guy gets around but that's obviously a lag problem.  I think that the one that annoys me more is the guy that strafes slightly left and right repeatedly and somehow becomes bullet proof even though I'm tracking him the whole time.  Apparently the game just can't keep up with the action and I die.

ghamorra

phxs72 wrote:

Apparently the game just can't keep up with the action and I die.

A game I played yesterday proved this true. 1 on 1 I could win every gunfight, as soon as another guy entered the area (whether he knew I was there or not) the game started to bog down and you could tell there was obvious framerate issues. The more concentrated the action the worse the game go

phxs72

I had to back out of one the other day that did me that way.  When no one was around everything was fine but once anyone came in my line of sight I couldn't move and they started skipping around.  I chalked it up to a bad host or maybe a bad server connection.  Either way I had no chance of winning a gunfight.

ghamorra

phxs72 wrote:

Either way I had no chance of winning a gunfight.

This is where 90% of my frustration comes from. You have no chance of anything yet you do nothing wrong and every right. I throw a flashbang into a room I know a guys in. Go in for the kill and shoot him several times, he kills me with ease despite being hit 3x before firing his first shot. He doesn't move, all my bullets are on him, but I come out the loser.

Is that something I should just shake off and accept? Maybe if it was a rare occurance, but this happens a few times a match. That's when it becomes unacceptable and proves the OP. Why play when the game single handily decides who wins and who dies?

Highwayman0226

I've had this thought too.  They are trying to add all these bells and whilstles that no one except youtubers care about, while making the game faster paced.  We end up with a game that the system can't keep up with.  I would prefer a more consistant, playable game.

Ungrateful_Dead

ahem...a guy that you can see in front of you and ends up shooting you in the back...been there.

I saw that the other guy had entered the Hard Point in the front room of the garage and turned to face the doorway to take him out.  I did a little pray and spray anyway, because I was surprised to  that he had vanished so fast.  Should have known he had teleported to my 6 o'clock.

Big_Sprowls

It sounds like a mix of the game deciding when a bullet hits and not yet understanding what you are doing right. I'm not real clear yet either on when I need to aim off target to hit. Understanding when the game will give you hits takes major reps. The millionare dollar question is where the point of impact will be compared to the point of aim.

This is one way FPS mimic real life, you need to aim off target quite often in real life, especially when the target is moving. You aim almost yard in front of clay pigeons for example.

Big_Sprowls

This is the mystery of online FPS games that fills you with rage and wonder.  It's a quest to learn when to twist the wheel right to go left because the game is broken or just made that way.

Highwayman0226

Another note, I can still enjoy the game and have fun, even if things aren't running great for me, but it's infuriating when you are trying to get challenges done.  I was able to knock out 3 SMG camos in a matter of a few days 3-4 weeks ago.  Since then, bloodthirsties have been impossible being on the bad side of lag.  No consistancy.