39 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 2:10 PM by Izjar11 RSS

Gameplay advice to all: Express your own.

Izjar11

COD,

Lets admit when the game play is fine its quiet fun. I wanted to share some insight from my own experience, from playing other games, from other things I have learned through a quote: Allow this to sink in, try to use it in the game and if the game allows you'll have more fun.

"You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

Note: I created this thread to speak of other things outside of the games failings. If you choose to contribute stay within the subject matter.

Have a good friday COD.

• Re: Gameplay advice to all: Express your own.
    TheBeastlyDude

If at first you can't kill an enemy player, try again. If after the 2nd time you can't kill the enemy player, change your plan of attack.

Get a headset. Communicate with your team. Great players want friends like that do that and it's a good way to get invited into a party/clan and then you won't be on a team of random players as often.

If you are on a deathstreak or the game you are playing in, you have less than a .5 KDR, try slowing down and hanging back a little to try to swing momentum in your direction.

Izjar11

If at first you can't kill an enemy player, try again. If after the 2nd time you can't kill the enemy player, change your plan of attack.

Adaptation is critical, how do you manage to control your "revenge" issue? Cause let me tell you getting that revenge kill feels awesome.

Get a headset. Communicate with your team. Great players want friends like that do that and it's a good way to get invited into a party/clan and then you won't be on a team of random players as often.

This is true. I play best when I communicating with friends or team members about the enemy's position.

If you are on a deathstreak or the game you are playing in, you have less than a .5 KDR, try slowing down and hanging back a little to try to swing momentum in your direction.

Great advice, offering more kills to the enemy is a guaranteed way to lose the match and probably only infuriate yourself more. Good advice thanks for sharing.

TheBeastlyDude

Izjar11 wrote:

Adaptation is critical, how do you manage to control your "revenge" issue? Cause let me tell you getting that revenge kill feels awesome.

I like to revenge harass. Good example would be on the map, Slums. There is always one player that likes to hide in the blue building.

Sometimes I lay down fire through the walls with a LMG w/ FMJs.

Sometimes, I will use a class with tactician greed perk and send out 2 concussion grenades and 2 flash grenades just so the players gets annoyed. EMP grenades work well too.

Another fun way is to run in with a riot shield and throwing axe because you know just how much that annoys a corner camper.

s_paw1

Just because the community hates camping doesn't mean you have to run around like a headless chicken.

Objective first, kill second.

Izjar11

s_paw1 wrote:

Just because the community hates camping doesn't mean you have to run around like a headless chicken.

Objective first, kill second.

To the point.

I say yey 100% to objective first, kills second. If you play objective go for them, fight for them, defend them last.

gambit1969

At the start of the game, if the bulk of your team head off in one direction, go the opposite way, its normally a good way to flank the enemy and stay alive.

Move quickly from cover to cover and dont hang around in the open where somebody hiding with a TF scope can mow you down..

Dont travel to long in one direction and after getting a kill if there is not another target in front of you do a 180 turn because that guy you just shot is going to be spawning behind you..

I play solo with randoms in core TDM mostly so this works for me.

Izjar11

At the start of the game, if the bulk of your team head off in one direction, go the opposite way, its normally a good way to flank the enemy and stay alive.

Its a real shame we can't join to fight against and vs each other. I do the exact same thing, I see a crowd, I go in the opposite direction.

Move quickly from cover to cover and dont hang around in the open where somebody hiding with a TF scope can mow you down..

I call the dudes who do this (and they usually are the running class) Easy Targets.

Thanks gambit, I still say add me on your PSN and well test latency and gameplay. PSN egotrip7809

gambit1969

I will add you on PSN when i get home, going to be tied up in the office for another few hours

Ungrateful_Dead

gambit/lzjar, You would probably run into me, too.  I hate the crowds and usually run into at least one like-minded thinker from the other team on my flanking route. 

- BE AWARE OF KILLCAMS GIVING AWAY YOUR POSITION When you kill someone when you are heading in a specific direction, try to think of way to switch up the remainder of your route, because if that person watches the kill cam he knows where you are going. 

- HAVE AN OPENING ROUTE IN MIND AND HOW YOU WILL PLAY IT  I am most successful on my opening route if I have it planned ahead of time; you know where the enemy is likely to pop up and where you will have the advantage.  When I go stumbling off on a new opening route without thought, it is pretty much a guarantee that I will be dropped in short order.

- BE READY TO SHOOT  Use stock on your weapon of choice and ADS any potential enemy locations as they appear (corners, windows, etc.)  If you get used to snapping your sights onto the common positions, you will be surprised how often a head pops into view for you to shoot.  If you aren't ADSing and run into an enemy, don't be too proud to hipfire the beejeezus out of them.  In the .2 or .25 seconds it takes to get an SMG or AR in position to shoot (without Quick Draw), hipfire will have killed someone.

- CHECK YOUR SIX  As gambit1969 said, check behind you often.  I am trying to do this more often, especially when I cross an open area with more than one direction of approach, and have got the jump on a few people who must of thought they were going to run me down.

- LEARN FROM GAME AND ADAPT TO OVERCOME  I try to keep my classes versatile so I can adpat to the changing game situations.  Dropped into a game with an enemy deploying higher scorestreaks?  A ghost/blind eye/cold blooded class with a launcher or a couple of black hats should be able to eliminate those threats and calm things down.  Getting killed because you are constantly getting flashed and stunned on Hijacked is another example of something you can fix.    You need a flak jacket/tac mask class to counter that annoyance, and so on, etc.

rlbl

Finally a post that is geared to what the forum is for!!!

If you do not have a headset, stay out of objective games (lol)

Seriously:

I find Engineer and Blackhats are your best friends. I could that with greed3 and tact mask in case someone throws a Flash/Conc/Static Charge.  I think I have it on most my setups. I do not miss Extreme Conditioning (esp if playing obj games where you do not have to run all over the map)

Izjar11

If you do not have a headset, stay out of objective games (lol

haha

I find Engineer and Blackhats are your best friends. I could that with greed3 and tact mask in case someone throws a Flash/Conc/Static Charge.  I think I have it on most my setups. I do not miss Extreme Conditioning (esp if playing obj games where you do not have to run all over the map)

I've seen how players have changed from using tactical equipment that can be hacked to equipment that cannot be hacked. But engineer is the go to third tier perk for me as well.

Extreme conditioning works well on the first few seconds to get B and as you know once B is taken its all about defending B.

onlyzeone

When enemy UAV goes up could more people have a class ready to get rid of the thing quickly.

Also when the enemy UAV, people please spread and move more, often I get a kill because the enemy saw me 20 yards from where I actually was on their radar blip. Also, most players don't have ghost or don't move enough to keep it active, therefore get away from those guys and watch for enemy players approaching their position.

Izjar11

onlyzeone wrote:

When enemy UAV goes up could more people have a class ready to get rid of the thing quickly.

Also when the enemy UAV, people please spread and move more, often I get a kill because the enemy saw me 20 yards from where I actually was on their radar blip. Also, most players don't have ghost or don't move enough to keep it active, therefore get away from those guys and watch for enemy players approaching their position.

I am a UAV's number enemy. I shot down every thing, and you bring an interesting subject that I have noticed from other players.

When you play objective, and you do not contest a UAV that lone UAV will increase someone elses score.

Playing with people you know or can communicate with is a good way to win, I play with one of my family friends all the time and we usually win 8 out of 10 games.

If playing with a group of friends, Have different kinds of players. An aggressive smg rusher, 2 recon players to sneak behind ememy spawn, 2 objective players with smoke grenades, c4, and assault rifles, and a lmg gunner or sniper to provide coverfire. That's 6 players for core game modes. If playing groundwar, (my favorite) 3 objective players, 2 for coverfire, 2 recon, 2 smg rushers. And always make sure someone has hacker devices and someone has an anti-aircraft launcher. Never fails.   I also suggest sensitivity level to be on 7 and sometimes even 8 if I'm against more aggressive players.

Izjar11

If playing with a group of friends, Have different kinds of players

good advice, what I try to do with friends is coordinate scorestreaks so we can have for example back to back UAVs, hunter killers, etc. Protect each other when deploying a care package.

Oh yeah, I haven't thought of that. Well, some of us use Carepackages and we always cover them but coordinating scorestreaks that's a good idea. Like the Counter uav and hellstorm missle so people can't look at there uav and see where it's coming from. If you can think of anyother combo's mention them because I love this idea!!!

Coordinating uav's is really awesome idea too now that I think of it. Yesterday I had a game where my team had 4 uav's up at one time, I through one up and after that about every 7 seconds I heard "Friendly UAV inbound." an insane waste of scorestreaks.... That's what happens when you play with randoms all day, you run into some idiots.

monkeylord

If you're a solo player then commit to the role you choose if you want to flank it's all about speed, surprise and violence of action, if your plumping for the sniper rifle always position yourself so you can cover and clear the way for your team and if you like to rush accept that the chances of dying rocket up so keep your path in synch with at least one other player so if you do die there's someone to capitalize on your misfortune. Playing solo doesn't equate to being alone.

iEXTERMINATED

weather playing alone or in a party on objective game modes use

wait for it.........

TACTICAL INSERTION

thats right the boosters best weapon this thing will keep u close to the objective and has help me win games all by myself but i hate it when the objective is one way and the team runs the other way and on top of that there so bad they keep feeding the enemy

sometimes i feel like saying i will love u till death do us part just so they play the objective or atleast take out the uav lol

i have class with FHJ and flak jacket with tac and betties trying to do so many things at once not surprising i die a lot

My advice is that there should be no ONE class for you to use. Sure it may be well rounded but we have a potential of 10 custom classes with 10 slots each, thats 100 things to choose from.
    It's better to have 10 classes suited for 10 different ways to play instead of 1 class which kinda sorta works on them all a little bit maybe.

Use stock, ADS around corners - never, ever sprint into areas where you suspect an enemy to be. I have killed so many people who just run around the corner, and I have my sights up on theei chest before they can even see I'm there.

Run away from fights you can't win. No point peeking back out if you are badly wounded and the guy has a TF LMG.

Don't wait for the enemy to walk into your path, go to them. The way lag comp works means the person who forced the issue has the upper hand, especially if you are ADS'ing with stock when you close on them.

Ungrateful_Dead

I would love to use Dexterity, but Engineer comes first for me, with Tac Mask close behind.  Using Stock properly by ADSing corners/choke points as required beats Dexterity/Quick Draw.  A gun already aimed will get shots off faster than any gun brought up to aim/shoot.  An ADS gun will also beat hip-fire most times simply out of better accuracy down the sights.

Mr. Brightside makes another great point about running from a fight.  My KDR would be MUCH higher if I didn't get into low percentage gunfights.  "Yeah, I think I take that yonder Sniper out of his head glitch in the window with my Scorpion!"  If you don't have an advantage in a gunfight you are about to get involved in, think about what you can do to turn things to your advantage.  Instead of charging at the guy blindly, see if there is a different route you can take to flank or at least see the guy from an unexpected angle.

mn7_la

IMO - the *single* most important point one must *ALWAYS* remember is:

Play to your weapon & play to the particular game (connectivity, lag, other players' play style).

If you're on Nuketown & want to level up DSR - don't just go prone & wait for 40 seconds or 2 minutes. If you're on Drone with an LMG on HC TDM - don't try to "rush".

Other points that I've learned from this forum:

Anti-Streak Class: I have ONE class dedicated to destroying enemy scorestreaks. If I'm taken out by a Guardian or Sentry - I immediately switch to this class. I set it up with EMP, Black Hat, SMAW and an LMG - with Scavenger  (to resupply when taking out a difficult-to-destroy scorestreaks) & Fast-Hands (to quickly switch between weapons-equipments).

This way - I free up 1 or 2 slots on the remaining 9 classes & don't have to use either of these items. Of course - it also means I can't be the "first one" to destroy every UAV, C-UAV & Stealth Chopper - but I always like to give my team-mates a chance (now that I got my launchers diamond .. lol) before doing it myself

Stupid Team-mates: There's always going to be *that guy* once every 10 or 20 (or 100) games you play (especially if you play HC games). In such cases I would either a) leave the match (especially if the annoyance makes the match unplayable for me) or b) Avoid the crazy person. In 99% of the scenarios I don't indulge or entertain such maniacs by working with or against them.

Annoying enemies: Again - every few matches - you're going to find one enemy player that runs around with a Ballistic-Knife / Cross-bow / Pistol, etc. Remember that they may be trying to level-up the weapon (even if they have diamond - the weapon may not have levelled to MAX Prestige). If I get constantly killed by Cross-bow - I will switch to a class with Flak-Jacket - and with a decent weapon, I will be able to not just survive the Cross-bow - but also to take out the player.

Not-playing-objectives: a) You may see that 90% of your team mates are not playing the objective. Don't lose hope - just hang around there (IF you are able to play well & are enjoying the game). If you get a higher scorestreak - things may just turn. I've seen this happen a few times (when one player calls in a K9 or even a VTOL - suddenly the team that was holding 0 flags now dominates with all 3).

b) Play the objective, by all means, but play smart. If you're trying to cap B - know that without Flak-Jacket and proper support - chances are you'll get killed (& feed an enemy scorestreak). Approach an objective with caution - look for tangos behind covers - don't just run in a straight line to the objective (even if 5 of your team mates are doing exactly that).

Situational Awareness: If you see a bunch of "skulls" - friendly units killed in an area - approach with caution. Sometimes when my connection is bad - I will simply avoid that area & find an alternative route to my destination. Also - use objects on the map to your advantage. If you see an enemy behind the truck near B-flag on Yemen but they're head-glitching - don't worry, just blast that truck & the enemy will die. Same applies for the vehicles on Raid near the B-flag. Sometimes I don't even bother looking for an enemy - just put my RPG on the vehicle - and it gives me kills.

My $ 0.02.

MN

BukLau101

In the eternal words of Sun Tzu 'all warfare is based on deception'. Play the metagame, don't blindly charge into gunfights go in with a plan, outsmart your opponents.

Turtle_Tommy

At the start of a domination game skip the A or C flag and run straight to the B flag. The enemy team won't be expecting you to be at the flag so quickly. They'll run straight at you and you can kill them for 200 capture points each and cap the flag easily.

Izjar11

Here is another quote from a very famous roman commander, governor which I find interesting when referring to this game:

The greatest enemy will always hide in the last place you would ever look