9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2013 12:34 AM by SitRepPro RSS

Capture the Flag is the worst gametype.  How to improve it.

thebiindsniper

CTF is a horrible gametype because flag carriers are not capturing the flag on purpose.  Why?  More points (+200 to be precise).  This means that players will sit in a corner, with the flag, just to earn their scorestreaks (and nothing else).  It's annoying and it needs to stop.

How can CTF become better?  Here are some ideas:

1. The amount of points for earning kills WITH the flag needs to be the same as normal kills, while more points are rewarded for capturing, grabbing, returning, and defending.

2. The respawn timers are relentless.  It makes the game a lot more boring.  Remove them.

3. Flag returns need to be extended (5 or 10 seconds).  This adds more intensity when it comes to returning.

4. Flags can be captured even if the team's flag has not been returned to base.

5. This is optional.  Either 2 rounds with a 3 cap limit, or 1 round with a 5 or 6 cap limit.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

• Re: Capture the Flag is the worst gametype.  How to improve it.
    scolia5044

Agreed it was my 2nd favorite game mode in the 1st Blops but like you said it's more of a game too see who can get there Score Streaks faster

NoLifeKing29

I agree with #2, its pretty much why I have never been partial to CTF, and always preferred HCHQ in BO1. Unfortunately, Treyarch decided HCHQ wasn't worth bringing back, and stuck us with HCCTF, currently the least popular HC gamemode, and as you say, the worst game mode in the game. I have spent next to no time playing it, so can't really comment on the other ideas, although #4 seems sketchy.

XodinsravenX

Completly agree with you.

Spawn Timer is need.  I would like to see it in other gamemodes as well.  Just lower it to 3 seconds.

respawn timer is needed in ctf, are you insane

fine the way it is, kill the guy with the flag and stop crying brahhhhh

deamonomic

thebiindsniper wrote:

CTF is a horrible gametype because flag carriers are not capturing the flag on purpose.  Why?  More points (+200 to be precise).  This means that players will sit in a corner, with the flag, just to earn their scorestreaks (and nothing else).  It's annoying and it needs to stop.

1. The amount of points for earning kills WITH the flag needs to be the same as normal kills, while more points are rewarded for capturing, grabbing, returning, and defending.

2. The respawn timers are relentless.  It makes the game a lot more boring.  Remove them.

3. Flag returns need to be extended (5 or 10 seconds).  This adds more intensity when it comes to returning.

4. Flags can be captured even if the team's flag has not been returned to base.

5. This is optional.  Either 2 rounds with a 3 cap limit, or 1 round with a 5 or 6 cap limit.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

you remove the respawn timer and you will many people on these forums (minutes after the patch) complaining that the respawn timer is needed. How many times does the enemy have to kill you when you grab the flag before you rage?

Capture the flag is a great game type and it's fine how it is.

1. People carrying the flag deserve more points for kills. The flag carrier is visible to the entire enemy team, whereas normal players are not, unless firing their unsupressed gun or an enemy uav is up.

2. Respawn times are needed. Frustrating on large maps, but needed on small maps. This isn't team deathmatch.

3. Flag returns extended? Do you mean it takes longer to "pick up" the flag rather than just running over it? No way. Person returning the flag shouldn't be forced to stay in the one spot waiting for the flag to be returned.

4. Flags can be captured even if teams flag hasn't been returned? NO WAY. This would ruin the game completly. The best part of the game is when you have each others flags. Trying to stay alive as flag carrier while trying to get your teams flag back is epically fun and can be hilarious. This is the most intense part of the game.

SitRepPro

thebiindsniper wrote:

No because, in case you haven't noticed, if you have the flag most enemies will surround you because they have an arrow on their screen to help find you.  Whilst it can be frustrating having the flag carrier killwhore it is risky and the only time I do it is when my team's flag has been taken, in which case I help try and get it back.  Then I will plant the flag.

Only thing that might be worth changing is to have an aggregate score of captured flags rather than round wins, whilst keeping the round based format.  That way it's more like the UEFA Champions League than the Stanley Cup.  Not totally sure on this change but may be it would reward more attacking play.