24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2014 12:19 PM by Lady_Bathory RSS

What do Treyarch have against Snipers?

sharingan_2

So as you all know, in Black Ops 1, the snipers were underpowered beyond belief. Thankfully, after a few patches they became usable and fun. Now they've taken a completely new approach to shunning snipers once again in Black Ops 2.

Let's take the DSR, since that's the only good sniper in the entire game. I use the term "good" very, very loosely.

It's a one hit kill from any range from the waist upwards. Fair enough. That's what you expect. But the time to ADS is atrociously slow. They're really trying to make it like a real sniper. That's the problem though. Call of Duty isn't Battlefield. It's not meant to be that realistic. It's about running around going insane with any gun you want. Not sitting in a corner of the map waiting for someone to come along while everyone else is spraying and praying.

And then we come to the Ballista. This just boggles my mind how they can make a Sniper rifle so abhorrently bad. It seems like it takes at least a neck shot to kill someone in one hit, which is ridiculous.

I feel Treyarch hasn't grasped the concept that surrounds Call of Duty. It's not about realism. It's about fast paced action and doing crazy things.

The sooner Treyarch realises and acts upon this, the better.

• Re: What do Treyarch have against Snipers?
    Izjar11

I feel Treyarch hasn't grasped the concept that surrounds Call of Duty. It's not about realism. It's about fast paced action and doing crazy things.

The sooner Treyarch realises and acts upon this, the better.

First sniper rifles are actually very good (if the game permits accuracy). I am not a prone to sniping but these rifles do the job with good distance.

And this last comment about what this game is supposed to be is you very own opinion! This game should incorporate a balance of mayhem / control.

I wish the xpr was a bolt action sniper rifle, i like how big it is, but theres no reason why a 50 cal sniper rifle should kill in two shots

mn7_la

BO 2 Snipers & Sniping (the play-style) is *NOTHING* - and I repeat "N O T H I N G" compared to real-life sniping.

I assure you, not one real-life Sniper will "Quick-scope" or jump around like clueless monkeys in a real battle. Apparently - it's your opinion that there aren't ENOUGH of headless chickens running around on BO2 games. I respect you (the person) in spite of that opinion - but that opinion is beyond laughter.

As if the number of players running around ridiculously small maps with SMGs, Shotguns, Pistols aren't enough - you want "even more" players to run around with Snipers. FYI - I assure you there are "more than enough" players that run around QS-ing with the Snipers even in their current form (& when I was levelling up my Snipers - I *too* had to run around QS-ing, inspite of being completely loathe to that concept).

MN

sharingan_2

That's kind of the point of Call of Duty. And pretty much any video game. That's common sense. Everyone knows real snipers don't just run around and quickscope. The concept of a game is to escape from reality and do things that you can't do in the real world. Being that Call of Duty is such a fast paced action game, it's only natural that snipers can be used in that way. It built a reputation of quickscoping since CoD 2. Then Treyarch decided to throw it out the window. I have no idea why, since leaving it in would bring nothing negative. I just don't understand their logic around video game design.

antiiicoooondommmm

i use the ballista pretty offten and i get one hit kills all the time even if its below thw waist. and with the DSR i also use a lot and i dont have the issues that you have... so maybe its how you aim??? or how you play.

monkeylord

You can still be fast paced with the snipers the XPR is a dream for faster paced play and very forgiving thanks to its mix of OHK and pure spam ability like everything in COD it's all about picking the right route around the map.

Hellgast_PT

svu only sucks on core games because on HC it rocks you can almost use it has a assault wep ( not bad if 3arc would put the iron sigh on it) rest of snipers they work fine for me since  here snipers arent like bf3 only thing his that the maps are based on choke points so you can always guess where a sniper his.

onewiseguy

The more realistic the better. it would be cool to have a knifing effect like battlefield 3 though...

TheAPMentalist

I use all snipers other than the SVU because it sucks. I never have a problem getting one-shot kills with the other 3, so I'm going to take the approach that your aim just sucks.

InstantOG

They hate Trickshotters, that's why they nerfed them so badly after MW2.

BukLau101

As someone who has always sniped in COD I gotta say blops 2 snipers are perfect. The DSR 50 is powerful but slow, The Ballista is fast but weak, the XPR is the middle sniper in that it's versatile but doesn't excel at anything and the SVU has low recoil and is spammable but it is very weak. From reading the OP's post I think the OP just wants QSing to be as easy as possible.

Thesandman

Sniping has a place in certain game types. I hate it when 4 of 6 people camp with their sniper rifle in objective game modes,leaving me and a team mate to capture flags,plant bombs etc. It would even help if they where actually defending.

QS'ing is still very possible. Just watch someone like Sprattyyy on youtube, he still does amazingly with the DSR. It's just not quite as ridculously easy as in MW2, that's all

sdredger

snipers are almost unstoppable. they are the best at range and hold there own point blank range too, you dont even have to line up the crosshairs  just shoot 2 foot to the left of someone who is shooting you with an smg and you will win 60% of the time.

snipers = shotguns at close range

snipers > anything else long range

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

this game is built to be fast-paced and crazy, unfortunately. between the promotion of rushing (which i do) and the fact that a sniper can not hide makes effective sniping impossible.

this is too bad, as i used to pick certain maps to slow down and get some sniping in, just as a change of pace.

as this game is now.. you gotta run non-stop (unless your team mates are smart enough to control the map i.e. NOT go so far into enemy territory as to flip spawns) otherwise you die within seconds. between no "real" ghost and revenge spawning, it's really hard to slow your pace down.

ArtisticPeanut

Look my friend, every gun has pros and cons, like SMGs and Shotguns, you just have to learn to deal with their flaws and use them as an advantage if possible. For example the FAL is good for Control from far distance, but is hard to use close up to an assault rifle and SMG. Just learn what gun is good for each map and use it then. Thats what I do anyway.

Super-3pic_Gamer

Lady_Bathory

I personally dont mind the guns too much, although they are slow to reload, my issue is with sniping spots...there are not enough places to chill and snipe..everywhere is pretty much in the open.