28 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 7:30 PM by chyma14 RSS

Toughness is a useless perk.

Paddi

I use it all the time, and over the weekend, I'm constantly getting out gunned, mostly close quarters by kids who don't even bother using it.

I assumed the difference between Toughness Flinch and No Touchness Flinch was huge, and that flinsh was a needed perk.

But yet, to my suprise it's not.  It's great watching kill cams of people who don't have toughness, and not seeing their gun flinch at all.

Or better yet my favorite, the Flinch up to get an instant headshot.

• Re: Toughness is a useless perk.
    JSlayer211

Toughness is a pretty dang good perk, especially for SMG users imo. Always a tough choice for me between toughness, scavenger, and to a lesser extent cold-blooded.

xmrythem

toughness is a core perk. Works very well.

banned-again

try playing without it and you will soon notice the difference unless you play hardcore then it is worthless

dweez1988

I have to disagree.

This is just my opinion on it but toughness makes me play like a tank.

When sniping or using an LMG the flinch is so much reduced it's probably unfair even.

Get shot 2-3 times while scoping in and don't even flinch a bit making the one shot kill pretty easy.

Coupled with Tac-mask and Flak Jacket, and you are a steam train.

SitRepPro

dweez1988 wrote:

I have to disagree.

This is just my opinion on it but toughness makes me play like a tank.

When sniping or using an LMG the flinch is so much reduced it's probably unfair even.

Get shot 2-3 times while scoping in and don't even flinch a bit making the one shot kill pretty easy.

Not unfair for LMGs and not because I use them.  They are the heaviest weapons in the game so may be that's why there is less flinch, presumably that's why they have the longest ADS times too.  It also means that you can win a few more long engagements which is what they're really for.

Not sure on the sniper rifles because it appears to happen only when scoped in and the SVU-AS is a light weapon so there ought to be more flinch.

phxs72

LOL just take it off of your classes and you'll soon realize just how much it helped you to win those gunfights.  The guns in this game have a ridiculous amount of flinch without Toughness.  So for every gunfight that they win by a lucky flinch, I would be willing to bet that they lose 10 because of the flinch.

NoLifeKing29

The OP would be right if he was talking about HC. But its very useful in core

randomhero204

Toughness is probably onen of the only real working perks in this game .. Dude needs to

Play more

Put it on the m27 plAy a few games then remove it.... You'll get destroyed.

r33k

its good in core. i use it on my MK48 class when i play DEM. spray the ever lovin crap outta the objective.

JSlayer211

I watched a video I think Drift0r did on Toughness and an added bonus was that it reduced the visual effects of flinching too. You may not notice, but your screen becomes slightly darger while being shot. Toughness negates that darkening of the screen as well. So your vision isn't as impaired as someone being shot without it. I would link the video but I'm lazy.

Toughness is also particular useful on the couple of sniper/AR happy boards. The higher the damage of the round the harder you flinch. So you will notice a significant difference in your flinching when hit with higher damage weapons. Just some things you should consider before you totally dismiss one of the better perks of the game.

Noob_Lyncher

Lol nope, Toughness is good for Assault Rifles and LMGs.

Houdnik

Small finite movements caused by flinch with an SMG in close quarters might be the difference between a belly shot and a headshot, but at longer distances it's the difference between hitting and missing. 

If you want to forego it on CQC classes, then it's probably do-able. I generally run it on all my classes as well though.

SitRepPro

As a heavy gunner I noticed the difference when I didn't use it.  I basically had to reduce my head-on engagements because the flinch would get me killed.  And as I'm going for headshots, I can do without more flinch.  I need it less than when using an SMG, which is kinda weird.

Paddi wrote:

I use it all the time, and over the weekend, I'm constantly getting out gunned, mostly close quarters by kids who don't even bother using it.

I assumed the difference between Toughness Flinch and No Touchness Flinch was huge, and that flinsh was a needed perk.

But yet, to my suprise it's not.  It's great watching kill cams of people who don't have toughness, and not seeing their gun flinch at all.

Or better yet my favorite, the Flinch up to get an instant headshot.

The level of effectiveness for Toughness is dependant of the type of gun the opponent is using. SMGs bullets induce low flinch, ARs noticeably more flinch and LMGs dish out even more flinch.

Also when trading bullets at medium-long distances against enemies (with any weapon) you'll really feel the benifits of Toughness. Conversely if your in a lobby of SMG users and your mostly getting into CQC situations then Toughness is not as helpful. Finally Kill-Cams do not accurately replicate flinch, gun viewkick and recoil.

PS-I almost always have Toughness in my Tier 2 slot, if your a quick, accurate and aggressive player it's a great perk. Only one of my SMGs classes doesn't have it (using Scavanger) and I feel the flinch difference massively.

I use Toughness on all my classes with the exception of Snipers and Hipfire Shotguns, Snipers have build in Toughness and Hipfire Shotguns don't need it.

ValleyYeti

OP is nuts.  Toughness is the number one perk.  it is amazing on AR's and LMG's.  If not for Toughness, my K/D would be WAYYYY worse than it already is.  can't even count all the gunfights I have won because of this perk.

CowboySr

Very necessary for certain setups. Ive noticed many times where I lose one on one battles head on to people, they have toughness and I dont. I hate using it, but its almost like if you go against someone using it,the game realizes it, and makes you loose, kind of like 3arch did in WAW with stopping power.....and no Im not kidding.

I dont use it in HC.  You dont live long enough to flinch

In core I use it, but it seems like in a lot of matches you die at the same time you start to see red so you could get by without it.

DaCleric

Toughness is great in core, especially if rocking an LMG.  It can save your life repeatedly with an LMG or sniper since the damage on those guns is likely higher than what you are getting hit by.  Now its true you still will get mowed down by an SMG or shotgun at close range with or without toughness, but at mid and long range it gives you a distinct edge over your opponent.  Try hitting someone when you are taking fire with an LMG and not using toughness...

KoRny1

Even if Toughness made a seriously dramatic difference in the amount of flinching, it would STILL be useless just because of the fact that people die in 0.25 seconds in this game. What's the point of reducing the flinching if you don't have time to flinch anyway?

deucedouglas

I've used toughness occasionally. Mainly on semi-autos but don't really notice too much of a difference. It seems like the TF has built in toughness along with aim-assist which contributes to why it's so annoying. Focus in MW3 was pretty much worthless at the beginning because I would hardly ever take damage but after a while it became pretty much a must have because of how annoying view kick is.

MadHatter12

Playing HC I dont use any of the perk 2's. Unfortunately since I like playing DOM ( less and less with this lag and KD whoring) I find it a must to have.

LargeLentils

I use toughness. I believe it works well.

parnezzi

if your using like a PDW and MSMC exclusively, then toughness would be more useful over scavenger (lethals and tacticals aren't mandatory) but if you're using a gun that everybodys not using then toughness loses its usefulness when you run out of ammo, and have to swap weapons constantly because this game is completely broken and you often have to end up shooting half your clip into someone

deamonomic

your kidding right? toughness is the most useful perk in this game next to light weight and flackjacket.

and another thing about flinch that I persoanlly hate.... STOP GIVING MY ENEMIES HEADSHOTS!

had I not shot him I would have been fine.

chyma14

OP, watch this video on how much toughness affect gameplay. You will be surprised

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BkY7ZKMh404" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>