15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 1:11 PM by The_Truth_Hurts RSS

Is a consistant gameplay too much to ask for?

lipe123

WHAT THE F is being done about this server FARCE?!?!

The fact is you only have one datacenter in the entire USA/CANADA and probably also in the rest of the world. Everyone thats responded/youtubes/etc comes to Mattawan, New Jersey, USA.

No wonder one game I get a k/d of 7 and then next its 0.7!

How blind are you players that think you are such amaaazing killing machines when you can't even realize that no one is shooting back at you?

This game has so much potential and its all being ruined by the fact that the "world wide servers" was a giant FAT LIE.

Look at this amazing impesronation of Bush (I did not have sexual relations with that women -anyone remmeber?) https://twitter.com/pcdev_assist/status/298544455416414209

How can they get away with this kind of trash, is there nothing we can do?

• Re: Is a consistant gameplay too much to ask for?

Is consistent gameplay too much to ask for?  

Well in this case we are talking about Activision.... so yes, yes it is too much to ask for.

Seriously they do not want us to have consistent, fun, fair, balanced, lag free gameplay...

If I fire up a download or start streaming a movie before going on to play CoD4, WaW, BO1 (or any other game with proper dedicated servers) I get pings of 300-400ms and am at a huge disadvantage to everyone else.

If I fire up a download or start streaming a movie before going on to play Black Ops 2, I have a solid 4 bar connection and am suddenly a gaming god. Getting scores of 67 kills, 4 deaths, 3 flag caps, and 6 returns, all using only a pistol.

They also do not want us to be able to avoid problematic players. I am being seriously harrassed by two, that matchmaking keeps FORCING me into games with, and I have encountered at least half a dozen EXTREMELY racist individuals who should be banned instantly  (Yet they've been playing and spewing their racist garbage since launch without any consequences)

In answer to your last question... They can get away with this trash because their main focus is the Xbox, and the sheep there have ALWAYS had it this bad. I remember playing CoD4 on Xbox, and it was EXACTLY like this (and a huge reason why I switched over to PC in the first place)

This civilized truthful message has been copied and saved, and will be reposted both here and on other forums if censored by moderators... They regularly censor posts that point out the huge flaws in the game, using the excuse that they're removing "toxic and disruptive" material...  No posts made on this account are in any way "toxic or disruptive"

lipe123 wrote:

How blind are you players that think you are such amaaazing killing machines when you can't even realize that no one is shooting back at you?

LoL, I wish every COD player would understand this instead of being arrogant douches.

Although, my connection to the servers is great from the bay area California. The issue seems to be that weaker connections are given a huge lag advantage which is pretty lame since they should be punished for having a bad connection.

Achchaos

In the case of matchmaking I find your statement unfair... Since its not necessarily the "bad connection"-player's fault that he has a bad connection to the server (he was thrown into), hence he shouldn't be punished for something he cannot control.

Now had it been proper dedicated servers (which it should have been from the beginning) I follow your statement completely.

Since the last update, they will not matchmake anyone onto another continent. If you're internet connection can't hold a three bar to a server on your continent, you should be punished, not rewarded. The compensation in this game is straight BS and gives cheaters more incentive to cheat. The minute I go on a deathstreak because of lag, I quit. Lag ruins the game, even on dedicated servers, and it's a shame the devs don't care about us legit players.

Achchaos

Wrong, they won't matchmake anyone on another continent if its set to best.

Besides, do you even know what they mean by continent? Or for that matter how many data centers they have? Where these data centers are placed? How each ISPs servers are connected to these data centers? (Bounces etc.)

There are too many variables to just say "meeh, we'll punish those who have bad connections" when those people don't have any kind of alternative. As I said, had there been a server browser, I agree 100% because its their choice to join a 200+ ms server. But with matchmaking they don't have a choice.

And do take notice, I never stated that lag compensation was fine, I only stated that is isn't fair saying they should be punished, when they have no chance of controlling the thing that they're being punished for.

There are three settings... Best, Normal, and Any. They will only match someone to another continent if their setting is Any. This player should not have an advantage. If you can't keep a three bar connection on your continent, that's not our problem. You should not get an advantage for cheating. It's BS. Too bad for you if your connection sucks, why should everyone else suffer just because you're too poor or live in some area that's too far away? They shouldn't. Cheap connections should be treated as such. The fact that they aren't is complete BS. And really, I can't believe the servers aren't kicking 2 bars. Some players get such a huge advantage that they might as well be hackers because the lag is cheating.

Achchaos

What happened to all the questions in my post? Decided to gracefully ignore them?

And why should people who happen to be born in some far off area be punished for living there? Is it not in their right to play the game just as much as you? (Afterall they paid for it, just like you)

On the poor part I won't make a statement, as I've never been in a position where I've had to live with a bad internet connection, therefore I cannot (nor will I attempt to) get in the mindset of those people.

I ignored them because they aren't the other players problem. If you can't meet standards, then too bad for you. Laggers should not get an advantage, period. If my search setting is on Best, I expect to get the best possible games and 2 bars should get kicked.

Achchaos

So you're saying that because someone's ISP doesn't have a direct enough connection, its the players fault? Now that is was I call being blind. I understand that you hate the way lag compensation gives you a disadvantage, but in no way does that give you the priviledge of calling it "their problem". They aren't in control of their connection to the server, not only because they don't know how high a ping they actually have, they don't have control over where these servers are located, nor do the have a chance of affecting where these servers are.

Someone with "Best" as their search criteria and still only managing 2 bars, means they can't get a better connection, because either they live too far away from the data centers available in their "continent" (as you so finely call it) or there is simply not enough data centers in that continent.

Since its Activision putting up these servers, they can't avoid having this bad connection, therefore by your reasoning they shouldn't even be playing a game they've paid for (or move to a location closer to these data centers).

Get off your high horse and start looking at it realistically.

If you ignore questions which are essential for determining whether or not its "someone else"'s problem that they're lagging, that "someone else" is in their full right to ignore you as well.

EDIT:
                  Also last time I checked, the system requirements didn't state where in the world you had to live to play multiplayer, therefore your idea of "standards" is invalid.

Look, there are certain requirements that should be met in order to play. As of now, there are none. I remember in SOCOM: Confrontation, weak signals got kicked for a very good reason, because they didn't meet the requirements and the game needs to be fair. Your poor excuse that some people can't meet the requirement simply means that either they should get their own lobby or they should not be allowed to play. You wouldn't give a skinny kid steriods just because the other kids were bigger than him, you'd just cut him from the team. It's that simple. Bottom line, what is fair is that everyone should meet requirements or not play at all. End of discussion.

Achchaos

Where is it you're finding these magical "requirements" from?

Im looking at the game case right now, and it says "internet connection required", that's it. It says nothing about how great a connection, nor where or how you're supposed to connect to the internet.

This whole discussion started because you said people with bad connections should be punished for that, and while I agree in a pure dedicated server/server browser case, I wanted you to take a look at the situation of matchmaking, however since you're too butthurt by the lag compensation giving you a disadvantage you can't see it from any other point but your own.

This isn't  a game for professionals, there is no such thing as being "cut from the team". Everyone bought this game (while not equal in prize, I'll take a wild guess and say that the time needed to earn the prize of the game in each person's area is, in average, equal) and therefore everyone should get equal treatment.

None the less I won't bother with this anymore, since as I've already said, you can't take your eyes off your own problems and look at the real problem; the fact that Treyarch decided to not give the community the possibility of hosting their own servers, in areas that have meaning to them.

It's like you're saying... "No where on the back of the box did it say I couldn't use an lag switch." GTFO.

lipe123

Uhm you are missing the point here bro.

Here is some facts for you,

• BO2 requires on average 6kb/s (3kb up and 3kbdownload) This means that anything faster than dialup is fine and even dialup will work to some extent.

• There is only one data center that anyone could figure out sofar for the ENTIRE F***ING WORLD and its in New Jersey, USA. (I've heard rumors of one in Germany but no one has ever posted evidence)

So how are players in South America/Africa/etc etc supposed to enjoy the game when they get connected to servers outside their countries?

This is why they use the lag comp system, so they can throw in a bunch of players from other countries and then just "normalize" their pings.

The patch said it wont match players with other players out of their country but it sais nothing about matching them to a server IN their country. This just means that if there is 12 players in a game in a server in USA they will all be from Canada/Europe/Mars/Pluto. And there will be massive discrepancies between each players individual pings to the server.

The whole system is a giant bloody lie, we'd honestly be better off with P2P servers, at least then the "server" will be in my own country and not in another country.

lipe123 wrote:

Here is some facts for you,

• BO2 requires on average 6kb/s (3kb up and 3kbdownload) This means that anything faster than dialup is fine and even dialup will work to some extent.

• There is only one data center that anyone could figure out sofar for the ENTIRE F***ING WORLD and its in New Jersey, USA. (I've heard rumors of one in Germany but no one has ever posted evidence)

I just have to point out that your two facts do a PERFECT job of pointing out why this game is such a MASSIVE FAILURE.

Such a low requirement for internet speed is just pathetic, and allows people to get away with massively handicapping their internet in order to get tons of lag compensation. (and thus an advantage)

As far as the servers go, even if they have a 2nd data center in Europe somewhere, 1 data center for the entire US is completely unacceptable. Anyone near the west coast connecting to a server in new jersey is going to cause tons of lag.

In every single FPS game I have played over the years, my favorites lists consisted of servers along the west coast. Seattle, Las Vegas, Salem, LA, etc.  Servers on the east coast (like new jersey) would give me a ping of over 150ms, which is extremely laggy and unplayable.

spidy

it wont connect YOU!! to another continent

it doesnt PREVENT OTHERs from another continent to join your lobby

so you still being punished with lag-comp for having a beter connection