48 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 3:30 AM by TheSurgeon83 RSS

Hardcore Gameplay Experience Vs Core Gameplay Experience

nicedrewishfela

First off.. This is NOT a Hardcore vs Core discussion. I am a Hardcore Player, and I have respect for those who enjoy Core as well. Please leave that discussion at the door, it will be Off Topic here.

What I am asking is if HC players are seeing connections in this game differently than core players.

As a Hardcore Player, I have had minimal problem with "Lag Compensation" and "Hit Detection". My bullets go where I aim them, and They hit where I aim. I still get some WTF moments, but 9/10 times when I take a second look I find my aim was off or the other player just had the drop on me. I still get laggy lobbies. I still get incidents where I get "Connection Interrupted", but for the most part the game plays like it should play.

I read the complaints on here, and maybe it is just me, but it seems the Lag Comp/Hit Detection discussions are usually started by Core Players. The threads talk about bullets going through the opponent or enemies appearing to be bullet sponges.

So my question is pretty straight forward. Is it just that the elements of Core (Health Regen, 100% health, etc) make the lag more evident? Is there more to it than that? Is it the larger community?

Would love to get some answers for how your experience has been with the following info in there somewhere-

1) Do you play Core or Hardcore?

2) What has your Gameplay experience (connection only mind you, not asking about OP guns, etc) been like?

3) Have you played both and noticed a difference connection wise?

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing your responses. No right or wrong answers here... just want to hear your experiences. Politely asking for no flame wars or expletive laced tirades. Be Awesome to Eachother.

• Re: Hardcore Gameplay Experience Vs Core Gameplay Experience
    Ss78_

It's subjective, not everyone sees it the same way first and foremost.

At release I played core and it was so bad I had to switch to hc. Now I gave it a good couple of days playtime too and even considered quitting cod. My main issue then was hosting with a sprinkle of bad host selection and matchmaking on top.

To put into perspective, one game it would take x amount of bullets to kill someone then the next game I would put the same amount of bullets into someone and stop firing thinking they should be dead by now and they're not. That's just a straight up situation of catching someone unaware. I found it to be seriously obvious something was up from the get go. It became more obvious that these situations were happening when I was host. Yes there were bad hosts and generally laggy games too.

The move to hc is a big difference and the problems are still there when I host but with the limited health and the fact quicker reaction times and awareness can balance up your chances it's basically somewhat bearable most of the time. The matchmaking is still an issue for me on top of that.

The big advantage is there's no killcam rubbing salt into the wounds showing you standing still and not firing when you know that wasn't the case.

When the dlc came out I played a couple of mins in the core playlist and it was still as bad as I remember it and I wasn't even host but the matchmaking for the dlc is questionable to the point I've now took out the dlc usb anyway.

Like I said it's subjective only 1 person hosts and not all hosts have my matchmaking, playstyle or the same connection as me.

Anyway the people with core issues should give hc a try I'm not going back until the next cod.

nicedrewishfela

The killcam is a great point. I wonder how many complaints generate simply from the wonky nature of the killcam rather than the experience itself.

You are right, it is definitely subjective and will differ for everyone, but overall just wanted to try an experiment to see how people have found the HC experience versus Core and vice versa. Good to hear from someone who has experience in both.

deamonomic

nicedrewishfela wrote:

The killcam is a great point. I wonder how many complaints generate simply from the wonky nature of the killcam rather than the experience itself.

You are right, it is definitely subjective and will differ for everyone, but overall just wanted to try an experiment to see how people have found the HC experience versus Core and vice versa. Good to hear from someone who has experience in both.

kill cams are, in my own opinion, 80% of the reason people complain about anything in this game. they just dont make it seem like theres lag, it makes some weapons appear to have no recoil at all.

nicedrewishfela

So glad there are no killcams in HC. Frustrating enough that I die, I don't want to see it again lol

Killcams are misleading, and people shouldn't take them too seriously. The only things to take from them are the location of the enemy.

deamonomic

I just spam the X button when I die XD. If i have time to watch a kill cam, thats time i could have spent getting revenge.

That's really funny.... considering all the massive complaints about the lack of respawn time in HC. Personally, I do the same thing. I don't want to sit there and "spectate." As much as I love S&D, I don't want to do a lot of watching in KC and Deathmatch.

In response to the OP. I play HC, and have found that my connection is massively better in Hardcore than it is in Core mode. I have played both. Obviously, I don't have any decent ideas as to why, but it seems to make a big difference.

Personally, I think that Core has more casual players -- a.k.a. those that just hop on for a few minutes here or there... nothing wrong with that, but I think it contributes to an increased level of lag compensation. More players in Core, more chances for lag.

Ss78_

One point about killcams, people like myself only watch them when they think wtf. When I played core I was watching them constantly. That's not my style, hitting x as fast as possible is something I've done since mw2.

It's not just the killcams though that make it obvious things are up and any grievances people have with this game run deeper than an annoying killcam if they've put any effort into researching what's going on. Instakills and people appearing out of nowhere to name a couple, now instakills in hc are also easier to take as it doesn't take long to die so there's something else that makes it more bearable.

r8edtripx

nicedrewishfela wrote:

So glad there are no killcams in HC. Frustrating enough that I die, I don't want to see it again lol

Killcams are misleading, and people shouldn't take them too seriously. The only things to take from them are the location of the enemy.

Killcams help lessen camper frustration for me. This is the big reason I stay away from HC.

maccabi

deamonomic wrote:

nicedrewishfela wrote:

kill cams are, in my own opinion, 80% of the reason people complain about anything in this game. they just dont make it seem like theres lag, it makes some weapons appear to have no recoil at all.

couldnt agree more.

jasonroloff

I'm a veteran CoD player, been playing online since CoD2. When I first read your comment Drew about kill cams I felt a lot of people may take offense to it. I did for a quick minute. I know the feel of a bad connection game. I play core. 90% of the time I don't even watch the kill cam.

I get what you are trying to accomplish with this discussion, these repeat threads about lag by people that don't post here often get annoying. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't a CoD veteran.

Me personally I haven't had to many problems with connectivity in this game. I do get a lot of the insta deaths everyone complains about but they are maybe 1-2 bad nights a week like that. It seams worse since the DLC. I figured it would be, player base likely being split.

I'm happy with the game though, happy I bought the DLC too.

bkblazer

I have played both gametypes but play mostly core. I definitely think the problem is more evident in core. In fact, when I'm very frustrated I'll go to HC to chill out.

Restore_Hardcore

I've said it in numerous posts, hc just flat out plays better. I've been a hardcore only player for years but recently I've been playing core just to compare the 2 modes from my connection. My results in hc never change, I'm always consistent and improving, core is a different story. Some games I totally dominated, others I just couldn't win the gun fight to save my life! It wasn't my accuracy, just could not win and I've been playing shooters since the 80`s. Is something in core really broke? How do you explain me going 22-5 then 7-18? I played more core but kept getting mixed results, all the while saying to myself "if this was hardcore I would have killed him"! Hardcore just plays like the game was intended to be played IMO. Playing core again reminded me of when I discovered hardcore, I felt like I struck gold!

I play both, always have but this game Core is virtually playable for me, when in a team game it always seems to be me getting killed instantly but takes a gazillion of my bullets bullets to kill, FFA is good on Core though because all guns work and connection seems balanced between everyone.

From a HC perspective and as a guy who plays against friends nightly on HC because there is too many folk in our wee town clan I can guarantee connection is an issue, some games my friends kill me instantly and go 30-10 but the next game I can go 30-10 and the same guy who mauled me the game before cant even get a shot off at me.

All in all connection is a major issue no matter the game mode but if you play intelligently when connection is not in your favor and can make sure you get at least a 2 sec heads up on who you go to kill you will do well.

For those who do complain about lag comp, stop complaining about and start using it to your advantage, instead of coming here and having a moan, use your head and think, hey, I'm like a second behind these guys so I better change my style and adapt to the current situation instead of running after guys when you know you cant kill them.

Ss78_

The only way to turn a disadvantage into an advantage is what exactly? Flank them, yeah maybe, camp, no danger. I'm down to one game mode in hc and that's kc. If you play other modes what you say is easier to achieve but hey that's just my take on it. How's the weather in bonnie these days anyway?

Weather is Dire bud, gale storm winds for 3 days running, HCKC is my mode as well, holding a steady 390spm and 1.45kd even with all this lag comp that happens but when it happens to me I slow my game game right down, get my UAV CUAV VSAT then go on a rampage, by the time its finished there's usually another 2 guys in my team with VSATS and EMP systems waiting, VSAT flips lag comp on its back and nails it hard.

Ss78_

Yeah it never changes weatherwise those clouds of doom n gloom. The vsat is a waste as I run lonewolf but the uav's are pretty constant, cuav is a waste with or without a team all it takes is a launcher to take the uavs down and it's hc so I see less uavs. My kd is slightly lower but spm is higher which doesn't add up if you run with a squad but you'll have a good w/l and I don't, right

Running with a squad is different there's no option to back out and if 1 guy gets host he's taking it for the team.

All the support streaks don't fix the 50/50 encounters that shouldn't be lost when you have the jump on someone but I fully understand your point. If we all just let the game stay as is without at least trying to get them to fix it then that's no good either. It's a tedious effort hanging around all this negativity on these forums it'd be better if they tackled the issues head on so I could just play the damn game.

Jamaro85

I definitely have to say the kill cam is the key component here in regards to why core players complain a lot more about connection.  While it's known that the kill cam is not 100% accurate it does help in showing how quickly the enemy appeared to react to you.

I may feel I reacted quickly to an enemy coming around a corner only to ostensibly have the enemy react faster than me.  I watch the kill cam to see how quickly he appeared to react and his reflexes were nowhere near as good as they appeared to be live.  I appear to react to the enemy very late and fire all of my bullets behind him.  It is as if what was happening on his screen was being shown many hundreds of milliseconds late on my end.

When I play hardcore and something like this happens I simply say wow that guy has great reflexes and is probably a really good player.  One's perception of network connection issues will be much different when they can see how the enemy reacts to them in an instant replay.

Note: I experience these types of games probably once every four or five games in core.  In hardcore I rarely have any perceived connection issues since I have no idea how quickly my opponent truly reacted to me.

trialstardragon

1) both as stated several times on other threads.

2)Have the occasional wtf games and laggy games; but that is usually when my router needs to be rest becuase of my isp screwing around with my upload again. Get both of these types in core or hc, neither is better about connection.

3)No difference, both play the same. Some good games, some bad games, nothing I would directly call game ruining or game breaking.

Restore_Hardcore

Well I played core for about an hour then a match in hardcore. Core played alright for me, it's easier to lose gun fights in core for sure, even while aiming good. Core gives you a sense of security and I can run around easier. Lag wasn't an issue in either mode tonight I'm happy to say! When I went back to hc that sense of security vanished lol! I felt super exposed but I won most of my gun fights. Hc plays better for me and my style for sure. I enjoy winning the gun fight when I shoot first! Core was fun though, just not for me. If all I played was core then I would be frustrated with how inconsistent the gun fights are. Cheers!

Ever play HC SnD? If not, and say CTF is your cup of tea, pan to a "good" player on your team, and spectate them every chance you get. The point is, when I'm in a lobby where I feel something is off, and it's "laggy" I noticed when I'm spectating, that the person I'm watching doesn't actually hit the target yet gets the kill. Today for instance while running with my clan, we got into some pretty crappy lobbies, and I figured I'd mention what I see. I was astounded to hear that on their screen they were dead on.

With that being said, I often thought it worked like so:

Server sees this

Player sees that

People favor what the server sees, and not what the player sees in conversation. Angry, disgruntle people favor what they see, and don't understand why the server would see otherwise. If you're spectating, what's that considered?

_________

Core - I think the Killcam has a lot to do with what people are griping about, and with that the whole "Server vs Player" and what they see kicks in. Don't get me wrong though, I've plugged 75 rounds into someone who's head glitching while strafing a few times and damn near broke my controller. At the same time, I've used a clip from my Evo on 3-4 people without reloading. How? Well, they weren't all headshots that's for sure.

In Core I think there's maybe more factors in the hit box, etc, but I'm no game designer, so discredit that if you'd like. I'm just saying thouh...

- Younique

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

nicedrewishfela wrote:

2) What has your Gameplay experience (connection only mind you, not asking about OP guns, etc) been like?

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing your responses. No right or wrong answers here... just want to hear your experiences. Politely asking for no flame wars or expletive laced tirades. Be Awesome to Eachother.

1) Core TDM.

2) It depends on the hotfix. I'm pretty sensitive to subtle changes and I keep track of the differences on my playlist in terms of SPM and KD. There are some hotfixes that makes SBMM tougher and some that are not that tough. The tougher the MM, the laggier the games are for me. It may be because my opponents are chosen from a smaller pool of players which may be spread far from each other. The latest hotfix that dropped yesterday relaxed my SBMM considerably and I am getting more lesser skilled players once again.

3) Yes. I played HC TDM and I think the nature of the game masks the problems of the game. It's still there but it's not as obvious. I can still hit my Core average in HC. I believe you're the best person who can answer this question. Try playing 10 games in Core TDM and play solo. If you don't hit your HC average in Core then the problem is there and HC is simply masking it.

I think the problems are the same, just more evident in core.

HC.  I enjoy Domination and some of the other Core gamemodes, but I end up raging.

Seems like I am either in godmode, or peon mode.  Most of the time there is no middle ground .     I can go 45-10 in one match,  play the same people after a host migration and barely go positive.  Sometimes its the other way around where I join a match and I'm getting pooped on, and then after a host migration I am the one doing the pooping.

I have played both and get 4 bar lobbies 99% of the time.  I dont see any difference connection wise, but with less bullets required to kill in HC, I dont get the unloading a clip into someone thing.  

Instadeath seems to be about the same in both, but more noticable in HC because  by the time you see the enemy he has already rounded a corner and hit you with 3 or 4 rounds.  There is not reaction time, it's as if the player has a wave of death preceding him so that when you see him, you are already dying or dead.   I am on both sides of this phenomenon, god or peon.

In core you are just mostly dead and flinching.

if i may i think we need more hc game options thank u just saying

nuttin2say

nicedrewish,

Since you are a HC player, I may already know the answer to this question. Nonetheless, I have stumbled upon something and have sent maccabi a private message wanting to know his opinion.

Do you play with Target Assist enabled or disabled? And what sensitivity setting do you use?

It's been switching back and forth between Core and HC, spamming explosives, and finally tinkering with the sensitivity settings that leave me asking that question.

nicedrewishfela

I don't mess with my settings too much. Auto assist is on and mostly interferes with my aim.

My sensitivity is not very high either, maybe a 6? Will have to double check.

nuttin2say

Well, tinkering around with the sensitivity settings, this is what I've seen ...

If I have target assist enabled, then I can run a higher sensitivity setting.

If I have targest assist disabled, then I have to lower the sensitivity.

Doing either one of the above increased my accuracy and as a result, I have seen a measurable difference in improved performance.

But the big thing is that I don't notice the WTF moments as much. The lag is still there, don't get me wrong. But it feels more like a "normal" COD game. Now that my shots really are on target, I think I spend less time noticing the lag. Plus, if you think about it, the bullets that magically pass through targets are on target only on your console, not necessarily on the host console. The actual hit box may not be where the opponent's character model appears on the screen, thus you think you're on target, but you're not.

All of that could be the result of the new way the sensitivity setting works. I don't know if they really made it more sensitive or if they've simply divided the normal range into more different settings.

All I know is that my problems became progressively worse since I disabled Aim Assist. With it on, I'm seeing a rapid turn around in accuracy, KDR, and WLR.

deamonomic

1: I prefer Core as i enjoy the frenzied pace, but I can play HC just as well.

2: laggy at times same as in past cods.

3: yes i have played both, no i havent.

1. I switched to hardcore as i was tired of putting entire clips into people to watch them hit me with one shot and kill me.  It also neutralizes OP weapons because more or less everything dies when you shoot it. 

2.  Some lag but overall not bad.

3.  I don't think there is a difference.  I think where some people might think core is laggier is because in HC only a shot or two will down someone where several rounds may be required in core.  The need to hit someone multiple times in core may be mistaken as lag. 

Recluse

I feel like hardcore, with its quicker time to kill, actually exaggerates all the problems of core. One stray or lucky bullet will put an end to you. In core, a higher time to kill means you have more time to evade, go prone, get off a nade, fire back etc. Having to land 4-5 bullets on a target requires more accuracy and consistency of skill than just getting off that first one.

It's also interesting that HC rewards the two extremes of gameplay, (camping and rushing) but not anything in between.  If you're rushing a corner, that ~300ms inherent latency gives you the upper hand.  If you're camping, you can hold down and area, hide in corners, and remain out of sight without anyone ever seeing a killcam. 
    In this way it has more tactical realism, but we all know CoD hasn't been remotely realistic in a few years.

Granted, I know that it's so dependent on your ping, the host, other players, and which way the wind is blowing that everyone will have a different experience.

And don't get me wrong, I was always a hardcore only player up until MW3. I just think that with the net code/lag comp/whatever being the way it is, Core is the only way I stand a chance, unless I resort to camping.

Restore_Hardcore

I'm a hybrid of both camping and rushing. It really depends on the flow of the game. I'll rush but if I'm getting destroyed I'll lockdown an area, get a few kills and move on. I think that no matter what mode you play you will do better by adjusting your style. I don't experience extreme camping in this game, occasionally it happens but it's all about flushing them out. It's also a fun challenge to flank a team that is holding down an area. I respect all styles and it is essential to learn them all to be ready for anything that comes your way.

rankismet

nicedrewishfela wrote:

First off.. This is NOT a Hardcore vs Core discussion. I am a Hardcore Player, and I have respect for those who enjoy Core as well. Please leave that discussion at the door, it will be Off Topic here.

What I am asking is if HC players are seeing connections in this game differently than core players.

As a Hardcore Player, I have had minimal problem with "Lag Compensation" and "Hit Detection". My bullets go where I aim them, and They hit where I aim. I still get some WTF moments, but 9/10 times when I take a second look I find my aim was off or the other player just had the drop on me. I still get laggy lobbies. I still get incidents where I get "Connection Interrupted", but for the most part the game plays like it should play.

I read the complaints on here, and maybe it is just me, but it seems the Lag Comp/Hit Detection discussions are usually started by Core Players. The threads talk about bullets going through the opponent or enemies appearing to be bullet sponges.

So my question is pretty straight forward. Is it just that the elements of Core (Health Regen, 100% health, etc) make the lag more evident? Is there more to it than that? Is it the larger community?

Would love to get some answers for how your experience has been with the following info in there somewhere-

I played a lot of Core KC until they finally added HC KC.

When I played Core KC, I wasn't all that concerned about my KDR so it was a touch low. What I found was a lot of red dot watching. Once I started overfiring (compared to what you do in HC), doing a lot of hip firing, running Ghost with a suppressed MP7, I started to run through people. Core players just tend to over rely on the always on help (mini map, reticle, etc.) versus tactical awareness because there is a lot more forgiveness built into it.

I noticed that I would win a lot more gun fights in core when either the opponoent shot first or my first few shots didn't register. In HC, I would have been dead. You simply have time to react in Core that does not exist in HC. Add in the health fairy, and I would be back to normal in no time. Grenades are far less effective. And the amount of intel you can gleen from a kill cam is a bit much.

KC pace is similar in each but I truly find HC KC has a faster pace for the most part. The game length may take longer but there are more kills and deaths being registered. Why? Tags that I might be able to get in the open in Core would result in my death in HC.

Most important thing I noticed... time to kill in BO2 has come way down from previous titles making it playable to me. However, it's still driven by two main things... ROF and DPS. If Core players took an HC mindest for movement andtactics they might enjoy it more and complain less about OP weapons. Thjose weapons seem OP to the Core player because of their ROF, DPS, or both.

But when you hit the bad side of lag on HC? Fugeedaboutit.

r33k

i am a predominantly hardcore player. here is my take:

i get hit detection, sudden appearance of player model, delayed camera, and skipping.

i get these MORE when i player core modes. they are far more noticible. in hardcore, i still get them, but the frustrating moments are less frequent and not as severe in thier appearance. my only correlation is that there are more lobbies in core with bad connections that allow a higher number of these events to occur.

MrJDubbs11

nicedrewishfela wrote:

1) I play both but 85% of my games have been HC

2) In HC I have issues with one or two people in 1 out of 20-30 games.  They are usually on a one bar connection and will show all the normal signs (bad hit detection, they are a 1-2 seconds ahead of me, etc).  I will say my games last night were very bad.  Two or three lobbies where everyone on the other team was one bar.  Made the game near unplayable.  Not sure if this is because of the new maps or the update for the new maps but it was not a fun experience last night.  

I find Core to be too inconsistent.  I tend to use the SCAR or AN 94 in Core and I will get kills on some people in 3 or 4 shots and some in 6 or 8 shots when aiming in a similar area of the body.  So I will stop shooting after 4 shots and move on to the next person only to find out I died because person 1 really required 1 or 2 more bullets.

3) It is not that HC solves the connection problems I just think it is easier to play around. It is also eaiser to justify your deaths in HC given your low amount of health.  For instance, if you die in one or two shots that is to be expected.  Every battle is quick.  You shoot they shoot if you have the jump on them you should win.  HC seems to play out this way. 

There are still times when I need to shoot more times than I should but even than I usually get the kill.  In core the killcam makes the issue 1000 times worse.  You know what you saw on your screen and when you watch the killcam your bullets are 3 or 4 feet in the wrong direction. 

Similar to this is the one bullet kills.  You are shooting have 4-5 shots into them and they turn around and then you die instantly.  Call it lag or lag comp I don't care in core I don't expect to die in 1 shot.  If it happened in HC, you can't watch a killcam and you expect to die quickly so you take the death and move on. 

NiteFalken

Im a regular hardcore player. But I do go to core when playing with friends.

I play hardcore because I like it when I shoot things they have the decency to fall over and die. This drives most of my experience when plaing HC. Experience wise Ive gotten good as feeling out what lobbies are working to my advantage and this is exactly why I feel the game is 60% connection and 40% skill. I can get into lobbies where I am dominating gameplay and then bang "host migration" and all of a sudden the game ends and Im a negative KDR.

My litmus test is the higher ROF weapons. If im running around with a Scorpion with rapid fire and the enemy crosses my stream of bullets at close range without a hitmarker thats when its time to leave. Another sign Im behind the curve is when thrown grenades or fired rockets disappear before exploding. The only explanation for this is according to the host: the enemy saw, shot, and killed me before  I pulled the trigger on the launcher eventhough I saw the rocket fire.

I really dont notice a difference connection wise. I get as many bad core connections as I get hardcore. The only difference is how the latency manifests itself .

Like I said above, this game is more about connection then skill. Sorry if that rains on the parades of those folks who fell they are super elite COD players. Unless your playing on a LAN your great games are most likely the product of you having the latency advantage. Not saying there arent some great players Im just saying that public games is not where you can get an accurate measure.

biron_w

After switching to Hardcore a few weeks ago I've found this game less frustrating.

It certainly seems that I have less problems with "lag compensation" as people like to call it.

Don't get me wrong,I still have a few issues. I still get insta deaths(I know you die straight away in HC but some I still get instances where I just drop dead without appearing to have received any damage).

I think part of the problem with Core is the mini map as well. I know that i'd spend too much time watching that than the actual screen. So if you have a UAV up you'd be watching the mini map and waiting for people,but if you were slightly behind them then they'd kill you first. Whereas in HC you have to be more cautious and actually LOOK OUT for players.

Now that I play HC there's no way I could switch back to Core. I know that coz I tried to to play the new maps and got annoyed very quickly.

wikked75

up until about a month ago, i only played core. everytime i faced someone, there'd be a hiccup while firing, i'd lag for a millisecond, and lose the fight.

i needed to start ranking up sniper rifles, so i went to hardcore. it is, without a doubt, a totally different game. there is virtually no connection issues for me, but there does seem to be more host migrations. i have tried to go back to core to play the other game modes, but i can't do it. every time i do, i end up throwing the controller at the wall. now i just want more game modes in hc.

TheSurgeon83

Me and nicewish already discussed this in another thread prior to this being posted, where I stated that I've become a full time HC player on BO2. Not just me, but nearly everyone in my clan (19 members), and the non clan friends we play with as well.

I tried to play core the other day and I just can't do it anymore, I'm not exactly and MLG player but I run a 1.53 K/D and decent SPM, my map knowedge and tactics are good and I know I can get the drop on people. In HC, this pays dividends for me, in core, I just get hitmarkers before they spin round or halo jump and kill me with the same gun I'm using.

It's the same for everyone I play with, even the people who didn't like the idea of HC at first have got used to it and once they go back and try core again they can't believe how much people sponge and come straight back.

All we need now is more game modes....