23 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 5:24 PM by AngryNoob RSS

BO2 Beginner asking for Help on Aiming and targetting?

raikun

Hello all.

I'm not new to multiplayer games but this is truly the first time I've delved into FPS titles, except a short foray in MW3.

Long story short, I'm playing on Sensitivity 4 which feels the most comfortable for me, and I'm waiting on my FPS KontrolFreeks, but although I've seen some degree of improvement, I still have issues not only aiming but maintaining said aim on target. I see people on Kill Cams that target me in a matter of seconds and very steadily as well, but I can't seem to manage to do the same.

I'd appreciate any tips on the matter since it's making a great game a tad frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm aware that practice makes perfect but I see people with barely any contact with the game killing me in seconds, so I'm sure there have to be recommendations I can use.

• Re: BO2 Beginner asking for Help on Aiming and targetting?
    zvers

I actually play on lower sensitivity's myself because of the steady long range accuracy it gives you but recently bumped it up 1 notch because you need to spin around a lot in this game.

What guns do you like to use?

Target finder would be good for you but it limits your peripheral vision.

XxDemoDanxX

Until you improve at the game i would advise you always use the toughess perk as it will help in 1vs1 gun situations. Using the quickdraw attatchment on your weapon of choice will also help. Lightweight and dexterity will also be a huge help. Try to keep an eye on where your team mates are and learn the spawns. Be patient and play the objective.

And most importantly if you shoot someone and they run around a corner DO NOT chase them as you will only die. Play carefully and with time you will improve.

phxs72

Being able to play at a higher sensitivity will help if you get caught off guard by the enemy but it's not a must.  The biggest thing regardless of your sensitivity is to position your sights towards the area that you think the enemy will be coming from.  Gunfights are won and lost in about 2 seconds.  So the guy that was already pretty much on target before the fight began has the best chance of winning.  So when you are walking around trying to get to a certain part of the map, be sure to pay attention to where your crosshairs are so that when you do get in the gunfight, all you will need to do is make a slight adjustment.  Also if you know you are coming up on a common line of sight for headglitching be sure to ADS and be aiming at that spot before popping the corner.  This all takes a little practice but you'd be amazed how many more gunfights you'll win.

PERKS, PERKS, PERKS. instead of "danger close" wild card use perk 2 scavenger etc... play zombies on rounds 15+ to get used to 14 setting on controller, DONT CAMP please.

TMBI

I started with CoD3/4 at age of 36 - and it took me a long way to become "quite skilled"!

In MW3 I used the first "Spec-Mission" which is a shooting alley to pass throug with high velocity!

I did it alone in less than 24 seconds - while 28 seconds were the target time to receive 3 out of 3 stars!

It helped me a lot to succeed in the game finally.

BO2 has "BOT"-Playing - so you can try to play a random match against "Bots" who have absolutely no skill (Private)... you have a long time then to aim and shoot...

Even if you meet players who are supposed to be "new" to BO2 - they might have been "Pro´s" in former CoD´s already!!!

Sensivity of your stick is also a point: 3 to 4 is fast enough - and also my "best choice" to keep the target on aim!

Finally there´s some perks and attachments to know to become faster and more precise:

"Dexterity"helps to recover faster from using melee strikes, "Fast hands" helps to throw grenades faster and return to your weapon - and it helps to switch between primary and secondary weapon faster; "variable Shaft" helps to move faster while aiming with any gun (especially AR´s)...

and finally: Sights attached on the guns makes it easier to aim on targets...I love the "Red-Dot-Sight" on my SMG or AR...

If you´re wondering why others are faster and more precise it´s 99% because they have more skill...

Sorry to tell you that... ;o)

Regards

Toby

s_paw1

Play with bots, be alert and be quick and practice a lot. Unless you practice, I don't think there is any way you can improve your aim. Soon enough try out different weapons and attachments that suits you.

That is how i learned, except there were no bots. I started out with Free for all and was playing that a lot. I used the heart beat sensor that would show where enemies are and soon learned how to run and aim.

mrtmb55

1) Use an assualt rifle with silencer and keep your distance, move slowly (don't sprint), stay behind cover or edge of map, buildings, and shadows.

2) Put a little sticker at center of screen, making sure it aligns dead center of sights, and make sure your target is very close to it before aiming down sights.

3) straff left or right instead of turning to fine tune aim. (left stick instead of right stick)

4) train your thumbs to make very small movements instead of slamming stick to the stops.

Remember that most players grew up with a gamepad and it's going to take time to get remotely close to the majority's skill level. If you find others that are bad at the game, see if you can join some private matches with them, that way you'll have much more fun and have more time trying to get the kill instead being insta-killed. That's alI got . Hope some of this helps.

Ungrateful_Dead

mrtmb55 wrote:

1) Use an assualt rifle with silencer and keep your distance, move slowly (don't sprint), stay behind cover or edge of map, buildings, and shadows.

2) Put a little sticker at center of screen, making sure it aligns dead center of sights, and make sure your target is very close to it before aiming down sights.

3) straff left or right instead of turning to fine tune aim. (left stick instead of right stick)

4) train your thumbs to make very small movements instead of slamming stick to the stops.

Remember that most players grew up with a gamepad and it's going to take time to get remotely close to the majority's skill level. If you find others that are bad at the game, see if you can join some private matches with them, that way you'll have much more fun and have more time trying to get the kill instead being insta-killed. That's alI got . Hope some of this helps.

I second these points especially.  As you develop your accuracy, you also have to learn how to stay alive, and to do that you can't remain stationary in gun fights.  Strafing left/right while hip firing or ADSing without trying to correct your aim (left thumb usually with default) will help.

The 4) point is also very important, there is high degree of aim-assist in this game.  If you have a light touch you can almost feel it pulling you onto the target.  When the enemy is in front of you, start to ADS with a lighter touch and watch how the aim-assist will put your crosshairs right where they need to go.

raikun

Thanks for the replies everyone, you all put me at ease because while I'm not an exceptional gamer I do consider myself to grasp the concepts quickly.

To add to the discussion (please keep the tips coming), let me elaborate on some finer points:

1. I play on Sensitivity 4, i feel it has a fair compromise between reaction time and the aim stability I'm looking for.

2. While I see the advantage that SMGs have, I tend to favor Sniper and Light Assault Rifles, even a bigger reason to improve my aim.

3. I try to have Flak Jacket, Toughness and Dexterity as my Perks, and I try to add an extra Mod to my primary, which usually consist of Laser Sight, FMJ and anything else that steadies my aim.

Aside from that, I´m very thankful for your insight, I'll apply it immediately.

Keep 'em coming!

phxs72

FMJ only helps you if you are trying to shoot through walls.  The ARs and LMGs will shoot through thin walls without it.  So unless you are doing a lot of wall shooting then I would suggest dropping FMJ and spending your two points on something else.  Maybe concussion grenades or an optical sight for your weapon if you don't like the iron sights.

BanHaMMer

Some good info in this Thread

.....and as usual some monosyllabic post which tells you nothing except that 14 = 12 = idiot.

If you can try and move your sensitivity up to 5, it will help you a lot in a 1 v1 where you are both "dancing" around each other in  CQC situation and you need to spin to keep your weapon tracking on target

deamonomic

raikun wrote:

Hello all.

I'm not new to multiplayer games but this is truly the first time I've delved into FPS titles, except a short foray in MW3.

Long story short, I'm playing on Sensitivity 4 which feels the most comfortable for me, and I'm waiting on my FPS KontrolFreeks, but although I've seen some degree of improvement, I still have issues not only aiming but maintaining said aim on target. I see people on Kill Cams that target me in a matter of seconds and very steadily as well, but I can't seem to manage to do the same.

I'd appreciate any tips on the matter since it's making a great game a tad frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm aware that practice makes perfect but I see people with barely any contact with the game killing me in seconds, so I'm sure there have to be recommendations I can use.

these are things that you will learn with experience. thats about the only way. My recommendation, find one gun that you like and stick with it for a while. your goal should be to aim center mass. The sensitivity is upto you (i play XBOX). in every past game i have ever played, i have always used default. but for the first time, I have actaully upped the sensitivity. got tired of knowing someone was behind me but being powerless to do anything about him. however, with increased sensitivity comes loss of accuracy. SO for a newbie default would likely be best, but i wouldnt recomend keeping it forever.

you should also put some thought into your classes. I put a decent amount into mine, each class I make has a specific role to fill. one is my CQB objective taking class, it has

flackjacket - to protect me while I cap

lightweight - need to get there first

toughness - so that I never again lose a gunfight to my dreaded enemy.. FLINCH!!!!!!!!

tacmask - people throw lots of stuns, flashes, shocks and what not

extreme conditioning- need to get there before the enemy

PDW-57 with quickdraw and laser sight.

I have another class thats similar to that one. but instead of a PDW it has an M27. Now, you ask why only change the gun? well thats because we wont always be in CQB. What happens if my enemy prefers to attack us from afar? or what if its on an open map? sure I could use my PDW, but the M27 has far superior accuracy at range.

If you want gunts with good accuracy, pick the M8A1 or the M27. both of those have amazing accuracy and their recoil is min.

mn7_la

Try "Hard Core" game-modes.

If you think the game is too slow - try HC KC; if you find it too fast, try HC TDM.

With a good weapon - you will get your kills much sooner than in Core modes. If it takes you 10 bullets on Core, it will take you 2 or 3 on HC.

What other online-MP FPS games/titles have you played and/or liked?

MN

raikun

Well, I'm mostly into Survival Horror and RPGs but for some reason I started MW3 a few months ago and then jumped to the BO2 bandwagon with my younger brother so we could keep in touch.

I'll definetely try your suggestions on HC. Thanks!

mn7_la

You're welcome.

Try out everything that you can get your hands on. If you're still able to - try the boot-camp play-list under Combat-Training. Set-up local games to play against bots.

Online MP can be *very, very* frustrating - especially for someone new. Getting to kill a few bots on local matches will give you some amount of enjoyment - and help you learn the maps, the various guns, lethals, etc.

MN

14 sensitivity take aim assist off, play like that for a day ( how i play in general ) then go back to regular settings and accuaracy should be a lot better, i prefer to keep it that way

tonzogunz

IMO sensitivity is unique to everyone.  I play on 2 and I handle myself just fine.  My tips would be to practice keeping your gun pointed at the horizon at all times.  An example, your coming up to a stair case, raise your gun to the top as you come to it (you should be able to know where your gun is aimed without having to bring up your sight).  The laser sight you said that you use is a good starting point as you practice becoming more aware of where your gun is pointed. 

Now if your gun is pointed in the right direction the next thing you need to know is how to take the corners.  Each corner you come around you need to be aware if you are going to be in a hipfire situation or a spot that you might have to aim down the sights (ADS). Strafe around the corner with your sights up if it is an ADS or strafe around the corner with your gun staying aimed on the horizon. 

Knowing the maps is the most important aspect of any FPS and once you know how to take each corner it can give you the jump on the opponent...even the head glitching ones who are just waiting for you to come around that corner.

My preference is to use the adjustable stock because I can move much faster when ADS which helps me come around the ADS corners faster.  Also, my aiming is done by continues strafing and making small adjustments as I move this is why I use a 2 sensitivity but it also helps make me hard to hit because there is nothing worse than standing still while your shooting (unless your a sniper/head glitcher/ camper laying on the ground).  To this point, practice offline moving around a target and shooting it as you continue to move.  The target could be anything, a post, a car, whatever....This may sound dumb to some, but you have to learn how to move (strafe) and shoot.  

heeehah

My look sensitivity is set at 6 for SMG's and 7or8 for ASSULT. Iam a RUN AND GUNNER. test your setting in custom game mode, COMBAT TRAINING, and set the bot at Hardened first... I'll play a couple rounds of VETbot in combat before getting online. helps to get you warmed up. Remember if you are going to mess around in your option menu. DONT DISABLE YOUR TARGET ASSIST. this will greatly effect your aiming

ehess001

These are all great tips. The other thing that helps but takes some practice is start hip firing when you see someone if its close quarters, and ADS as you keep firing. If you land that first shot while hip firing, they will flinch and it buys you just a little time as you're bringing your gun up to ADS. Some of the guns in this game such as PDW are pretty accurate hip firing only. Laser sight will help if you choose this method...

On the sensitivity thing, the obvious answer is to play at whatever level you feel most comfortable with.  The more in depth answer is that the closer your average engagements are, the higher you want your sensitivity to (eventually) be.  Snipers are something of an exception, but even then you can get by with sticking to that rule.

As a beginning player, don't try to rush aggressively.  I can't stress that enough...you don't want to just sit in a corner for the entire match (or maybe you do, but it gets boring quickly), but you also don't want to try and emulate You Tuber X and go running into the enemy spawn with all guns blazing.  Let your teammates take the lead, find good firing positions, and stick with one until you've picked up a kill or two (or you get tired of waiting).  Remember that if you're playing in Core modes, even with a suppressor the enemy is going to know where you are as soon as you kill someone, so after a kill or two you'll want to move as soon as you can safely do so.  Then you find another position and repeat.  Use cover to your advantage, and try to set up your engagements so that your enemies will be moving toward you in an open area (easier to hit a target which is moving straight at you vs. one sprinting across your screen).

When you're using a full auto weapon, you also want to learn to fire in bursts any time your target is a good distance away.  With semi-auto or burst-fire weapons, you want to get the timing down so you can fire as quickly as possible without losing accuracy.  Ordinarily I'd recommend playing some Local games against bots to practice those things, but apparently there's a bug which will reset your multiplayer stats (and XP) if you enter a Local lobby.  Then again, depending on how your first few attempts have gone, losing all that "progress" might not be a bad thing.

Finally, set realistic goals for yourself.  The first time I jumped into a multiplayer match in CoD, I just told myself that I'd be happy if I got one kill.  That was a smart move, because I wound up getting only two.   Just don't expect to start turning in 40-2 gameplays immediately...understand that you're going to suffer some beatdowns, but if you keep at it and put in the hours, you will improve.

Very nice tips for him dude! 

About sensitivity, id say you can start at 2 or 3, and when you are more comfortable increasl 1 by 1. Im using 4 or 5, but the lack of agility is pissing me off, so i want to increase 1 point again as soon as possible, and so on.

I play since Counter strike and Cod 4, but BO2 is the first im getting serious, and even playing from october to now, still got some serious issues to correct about my gaming, so BE PATIENT, dont camp too much and try to observe the major players. The fun will come!! 

good luck.

set goals for yourself i like to use the sencetivity 12 but its up to you. Try different after some games you will learn how to aim and shoot. Always remember to shoot high try to learn how to aim at the head, it will give you faster kills and the shots will do more damage to the enemy.

Good luck with training you can be a master