36 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 7:47 PM by Gerbera RSS

Why are shot guns soooo OP

Hardhitta

It seem like all shotguns are soooo OP maybe treyarch should've made bigger maps this is unfair.

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    TheBeastlyDude

    What's stopping you from using them if they are so OP?

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP

    All? No...

     

    When you are up against a shotgunner, slow down...  If your rush around and meet him at corners constantly, you are going to get OHK'd.

     

    Adapt, react, control.

     

    I think the biggest problem is that people get OHK'd from a shotty then get all mad and charge in for revenge which leads to more OHK's from Shotty_Too_Hotty.

     

    My .02 on the subject.

    • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP

      Exactly right Doc.

       

      Do I cuss them? sure.. but do I think they are OP for killing inside 15 feet? In general no.

       

      HOWEVER, I do think they need to increase both their recoil and/or make them Flinch a great deal more when getting riddled by bullets. Shotguns IRL have a hell of a kick.

       

      The fact that I can be shooting a guy square in the back with a pistol at 5 feet, and they can turn around and shoot and kill me first... is complete BS.

       

      Perhaps what they need to do is increase "Damage to the Back" of players.

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    Izjar11

    Hardhitta wrote:

     

    It seem like all shotguns are soooo OP maybe treyarch should've made bigger maps this is unfair.

    Unfair!

     

    I find this word funny when referring it in a video game.

    • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP

      Izjar11 wrote:

       

      Hardhitta wrote:

       

      It seem like all shotguns are soooo OP maybe treyarch should've made bigger maps this is unfair.

      Unfair!

       

      I find this word funny when referring it in a video game.

       

      I find it funny just about all the time....

       

       

       

       

      "Life: Unfair since the dawn of time" ©

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    phxs72

    I take it that you don't know how to use them and don't know how to navigate a map properly to avoid them?  My first piece of advice is don't use them.  It would completely destroy your opinion of how great they are.  Second stop cutting your corners so close.  Shotguns are not miracle weapons but you do have to know how to play to their weaknesses if you intend to win a gunfight against one.

    • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
      Hardhitta

      Ok I fell you on dat dawg but tell me this what you think about the maps not being that big to use AR than SMGs and shotguns.I mean the maps in BO1 were big maps.

      • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
        zvers

        "BO1 were big map"

         

        Not necessarily. What you are looking for is: "BO1 maps had longer sight lines on there maps". Just Compare the size of Yemen to say standoff or Drone. Yemen has long sight lines all over the place while Drone and Standoff have some long sight lines but they also have LOTS of clutter (aka buildings etc.) which limits long distance engagements. These scenarios let close quarter weapons rain supreme because you can sneak up on people really easily.

      • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
        gambit1969

        http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a625/MrMarlboro2009/Spelling4Dummies1_zps99f18e3e.jpg

      • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
        phxs72

        The maps are definitely smaller which personally I prefer simply because I don't have to get my Visa stamped every time that I die just to get back to the action.  But to your point, I actually have a higher KD with ARs and LMGs on these maps than I do with SMGs and Shotguns.  There are plenty of lines of sight available for the bigger weapons that will still keep you in the action.  I play a lot of DOM btw and am a flag capping phenom.  Now if you are in a gamemode such as KC or TDM then yes the map size will make it more difficult to use the larger weapons because people tend to rush hard in those gamemodes and therefore will be engaging in more mid to close range fights.  However, there are some ARs which do quite well in those situations and if you have enough time to ADS (that's an if) the LMGs are strong enough to win those gunfights as well.  If I'm using an AR in either KC or TDM, I set it up for speed and generally will slap either quickdraw or a laser sight on it and go toe to toe with the SMGs.

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    mn7_la

    My $ 0.02.

    .

    I have felt annoyed at getting killed by shot-gun users - too many times than I bother to think. I don't think I've taken it to here (this forum) & express my frustration, though. I usually slow down, sometimes even camp the corner of a map - and wait for the headless-chicken to run towards me. Then, I simply let my AR or Sniper do the job - and stay at the same location (because I know the headless-chicken will be running straight for me a second time).

    .

    It's only when I started using shot-guns I realized how *more* annoying it is to use one. Thanks to Nuketown 24x7 on the 2xp week-end, I got Remi & KSG gold. I'm yet to gold the S12 & M1216 (getting the 250 OHKs was ANNOYING TO THE EXTREME - but it's done). SGs are completely anti-thetical to my play-style - I love long lines of sights & stealth. I'm loathe to CQCs & "in-your-face" gun-battles (I blame my play-style on my connection )

    .

    Bottom-line: I don't think any of the SGs are OP.

    .

    MN

    • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
      xtlc2003

      Agreed they're not over powered but what I have noticed is that these shotgun guys ALWAYS get their shots off first but i think that has to do more with LAG than anything. From my experience there are NOT any guns that when compared to each other within the context they are meant for (short range for the SMGs and Shotguns, Mid to maybe a little long range for the Assault rifles, Mid to long range for the LMGs and long range for the Sniper rifles) are OP. The PDW does NOT cream the MTAR or Chicom or anything. Do I lose a mid range gun fight with an Assault Rifle to an SMG sometimes, yep but that's usually because the guy is better than me or because of an ungodly Lag.... 99.9% of the problems regarding guns, play-style, etc. in CoD would be fixed if there was not so much Lag

      • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
        03SuicideNooch51

        The only OP thing about the R870 is you can do extremely well with this weapon while never needing to ADS. Of course most R870 users will have extremely fast reaction times. Even without the laser sight these bad boys have a very maneagable hip fire spread pattern.

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    Raketti

    Shotguns are not OP. You just cannot counter them. And any SMG in the game us a lot easier to use compared to the shotguns.

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    WhatzHisName

    I have to agree with most on this topic, shotguns aren't OP. I find them inconsistent

    and that if you don't have a decent connection they are almost useless.  Check out the end of this little clip, perfect example.

     

    http://youtu.be/jPrgn-RJzIE

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP

    Hardhitta wrote:

     

    It seem like all shotguns are soooo OP maybe treyarch should've made bigger maps this is unfair.

    Shotguns are OP because people using AR's run blindly into close quarters... or heck, the concept of getting into a close-quarters situation even entered their head.

     

    Too many people keep playing their AR's like their going to own the map. Even those with SMG's make the same mistake. If you're playing on certain maps, you can simply guarantee there's someone with a Shotgun in a certain area.

     

    Here's a tip. Don't enter those areas...

     

    Would you run down the center of Dome with a Shotgun? No. Then don't jump into the belly of Hijacked with an AR.

     

    Therefore, they are not OP. But if you keep willing running into their barrels, they may seem that way.. Lesson over.

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    mdm123456789

    O. P.. you're a dip$h!t. -_-

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    CallOfDutyFan88

    im guessing you dont use shotguns. they may be powerful up close but everywhere else they are useless. i whore them out of thier range all the time, the trick is knowing what engagements to create for the weapon u are using. if u got a shotgun then u dnt wanna walk down long sightlines just like if u got a sniper u wanna avoid close quarters. its really simple actually.

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    CallOfDutyFan88

    u mean more of those bigger maps that community hates because its hard to find people that are not tucked away at a very long distance advantage point before the time limit? u mean another carrier, turbine, drone or aftermath? no thanks, i think maps like raid are perfectly sized and they should get no bigger than that.

    • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
      ghamorra

      CallOfDutyFan88 wrote:

       

      u mean more bigger maps that community hates because its hard to find people like aftermath, turbine, drone and aftermath?

      Drone isn't hard to find anyone and you mentioned Aftermath twice, so there's only two maps that pose a problem and there's a reason for this.

       

       

      Those big maps have a ton of sh*t packed into them. For instance Turbine, there are two cliffs with random mini mountains blocking view that you have to move around and there's a giant plane that's hard to look over. The map isn't big, there's just many obstacles you have to work around making it seem even bigger.

       

       

      Maps like Array were perfect, there was empty space for long range battles as well as areas that were simple but kept CQC important.

      • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
        CallOfDutyFan88

        i edited my previous comment to be more coherent. turbine is huge. plenty of sight lines over or about 100-300 meters or so. its like 3 or 4 minutes to walk from one end to the other and that ridiculous. i believe raid is as big as the maps should get so everything from shotguns and snipers are playable. array would have been even better if it was cut down a bit as well but that was fixable by sticking to one side of the map, but if u died and had to travel through those very long sighlines to get back into the action it was a pain being killed by people u can barely even see at times.

        • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
          ghamorra

          CallOfDutyFan88 wrote:

           

          i edited my previous comment to be more coherent. turbine is huge. plenty of sight lines over or about 100-300 meters or so. its like 3 or 4 minutes to walk from one end to the other and that ridiculous

          Hardly lol. Probably 30 seconds at most

           

           

          Raid is actually big, but there's direct paths to each side of the map that make it seem smaller. I think it would be ok for all maps to be about that size, but I don't think it should be the absolute biggest.

           

          They should get more creative with the maps. That's where a lot of problems come from, they're too similar to each other. I would love nothing more than to get together with the Devs and talk over map design, I have some awesome ideas

          • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
            CallOfDutyFan88

            well talk to them about making everything useable everywhere. overflow, plaza and meltdown are pretty big too but they accomodate everything from sniping to shotgun rushing fine. the maps i mentioned earlier do a poor job of accomodating other styles besides camping/sniping. even on maps like slums/hijacked/nuketown/standoff both sniping/camping and shotgun rushing can easily be succesful there. theres no need for them to create maps like turbine because snipers/campers are still gonna get theirs regardless what map u put them on. its rare that a match on turbine/aftermath actually ends by score limit because it simply takes too long to find people.

            • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
              ghamorra

              One map shouldn't try to accomodate everything though. If you're good at designing a map you would understand that maps should force you to do certain things. By trying to accomodate to everything you inturn accomodate nothing.

               

               

              Some maps should give advantage to sniping, some to ARs, some to LMGs, some to SMGs and Shotguns. This forces players to adapt and learn new skills. In doing so players learn to appreciate aspects they might not have appreciated previously.

               

              Those who want to be one-demensional  need to get over themselves, this is why Black Ops II is failing so hard. Rushing was fun when not everyone was doing it. You could thrive amongst those who weren't willing to adapt

              • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
                sennalike

                Maps like Seelow in W@W were the best.  Large, with open areas for snipers as well as houses and other areas for close combat.  Best of both worlds.  In BO2 I feel like I am forced to pick route 1, 2 or 3 with no real room to do anything new or different.  Each to their own but I am finding each new CoD gets boring very quickly.  I never got bored of W@W.

              • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
                CallOfDutyFan88

                im not saying make the maps one dimensional, im saying make the maps accomodate all weapons to a fair extent. of course u got your maps that favor one style more than others and thats fine, but it should be balanced in that respect as well. the maps that are most popular are usually the most versatile ones. overflow accomdates sniping more than any other style, but its not exactly out the question to use shotgun/smg there either, slums/standoff/hijacked accomodates smgs/shotguns most, but its definately not out the question to snipe there. in turbine, carrier, drone and aftermath sniping is great but they are almost unplayable for a shotgun user and that isnt fair. thats why people dont vote for them, the proof is in the numbers, when u suggest something on behalf of the community u gotta go with the majority

                • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
                  Gerbera

                  Making almost every map accomodate everything IS what would make them one-dimensional though. There wouldn't be real variety then. Sure, you could get fair chance to each playstyle, but that's also not that fun to do all the time. I could see maybe 1 or 2 maps like that, but still be a minority.

                   

                  As ghamorra mentioned, there needs to also be maps in rotation that do force players to change their playstyles by offering advantages and/or disadvantages to certain weapon types if they wish to do well and NOT be allowed to simply use one playstyle all the time and never have to adjust to anything they come across, whether it be to counter the playstyles that get the advantage from the map or using the playstyle that the map grants the advantage to, even if it's a style they're not used to or even dislike.

              • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
                Blubearzmom

                I see that and would like to add, some players are no good at creating a class.  Syou like these guns, but you need to either make a class set that is good for any range or enemy troll level, or simply rotate to the gun you want before the match. I mean you get thrity seconds so see the map and be sure its what you want.

                 

                My classes are specialized(what I mean to say btw) and I'm willing to list them.

                 

                1. Sabatour:

                 

                My ultimate "Huntsman" class. I can kill instanlty with the Skorpions power/speed combo or the tri-bolt. The Blackhats are equipment and killstreak trolls and I can steal rigged carepackeges from a safe distance, or get the off map ones that the tard overshot.  Basically, I use this class to keep them back and steal their stuff(or scrap it).

                     Primary: Skorpion EVO

                          Secondary: Crossbow Tri-bolt

                               No Grenade

                               Tactical: Blackhat x2

                                    Perks: Flak jacket/Fasthands+Scavenger/Engineer

                2.CQC Expert:

                 

                Close Quarters Combat Expert for those "Lalala*le random enemy rushes me* AAAHH!!*Boom, he is OHK'ed" But as I stated, I can snipe with this because of its slugs.

                 

                     Primary: KSG fast mag+laser sight

                          Secondary: Kap-40(working on attachment)

                               No grenade

                               Tactical: Cuncussion grenade x2

                                    Perks: Flakjacket/Fasthands/Engineer

                3.Ghost of Sparta:

                 

                Sniper class good for long range, but not counted out at close or mid if you use the weapons right

                .

                     Primary: Any sniper rifle as I'm aiming for diamond

                          Secondary: Tac-5

                               Lethal: Bouncing Betty

                               Tactical: Blackhat x1 or x2

                                    Perks: Fatshands+Coldblooded

                4.The Thunder:

                 

                The Thunder being the Cuncussion grenades and shield bashing.

                 

                     Primary: Assault Shield

                          Secondary: (still working on it, this class is under matainance)

                               Lethal: Tomahawk(For Remingtons)

                               Tactical: Cuncussion Grenades(just a good idea)

                                    Perks: Flakjacket/Fasthands+Scavenger/Tactical-Mask

                5.Avian Patrol:                             

                 

                As the name implies, this is an anti-killstreak class.

                 

                     Primary: HAMR grip

                          Secondary: The new stinger with a rediculous name

                               No Lethal

                               Tactical: EMP grenade x2

                                    Perks: Blindeye+LightWeight/Coldblooded/Engineer

                 

                {thoughts?}

  • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
    Blubearzmom

       To this I say, you have a bit of a point.  Mostly because everytime they make a new game, there will be a whore for some gun or gun type..... the case in BO2 is the F*cking Remington..... Dude, only the KSG has a twenty to thirty foot affective range, long barrel does close to nothing with spread guns, so stop whoring the weapons.... this is almost as bad as MW3 Striker whores that spam with buckshot

     

     

    The S12 is honestly the child that the shotgun family had seconds thoughts on drowning.... bad choice as it has no range.... sure, buckshot spam is almost nonexistant now but who will use the gun?

     

    The Four round rechamber gun...... the new HS1014 or something..... I think its a 'meh' because there is spam but only four rounds, you use Concusion grenades to check corners and they will either be a ten second snail(C Grenades are OP too in my opinion) or will have tac-mask and own you anyway

     

    I prefer a KSG, no spread but rediculous damage and range so I can snipe people with a slug. Score one for the guy who discovered and told the world this(ME!)

     

    But to summarize, I believe only the Remington is OP and people should stop whoring OP guns.

     

    {thoughts?}

    • Re: Why are shot guns soooo OP
      CallOfDutyFan88

      the remington is not op, it works like it should (most of the time at least cuz i seem to get tons of retarded hitmarkers). it works like this: u do ur best to manuver thru buildings and cover and spending as little time as possible in mid/long sightlines and open areas (which is pretty hard to do without being caught at a range where u cant even defend yourself well or at all) and then u do your best to create a close quarters 1v1 engagement and hope u dnt miss, get a hitmarker or run into multiple enemies that are not right on top of each other or u will be pretty much screwed. tons of drawbacks for using a shotgun.