9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 2:47 PM by PerkyNipzz RSS

Do you agree with the principle of Downloadable Content?

ghamorra

Does the concept of DLC give developers an excuse to release games that are incomplete

• Re: Do you agree with the principle of Downloadable Content?

It is certainly starting to, especially with FPS games.

Sure games like Fallout and Skyrim stand alone without DLC but FPS games, and I will use BO2 as an example could come with twice as many maps and it would not hurt DLC sales.

Borderlands 2 seems like another great example of a game being completed as DLC. Sure they made multi playthroughs mandatory for reach max level but you blow through the story SOOO fast the first time they easily could have had the DLC be on disc content and thusly allow someone to "finish the game" without multiple play throughs.

The slope is very slippery.

Look at it this way. Good game developers like Bethesda or Rockstar will release DLC that has enough content to be its own standalone game. Bad game developers cash in on the same surefire gimmick thats been working for years to get money from people. It's unfair however to berate Treyarch/Activision. The CoD series has been the same rehashed content for years now so technically you cant call it incomplete. Everybody knows once a new CoD game comes out dlc will follow in the form of map packs so its almost like an unwritten law at this point.

Izjar11

ghamorra wrote:

Does the concept of DLC give developers an excuse to release games that are incomplete

It doesn't give them the excuse to sell games that are totally unplayable. I truly believe the future of gaming will be downloadable content or accessible in some cloud system designed for gaming.

Without a doubt.

Physical media is a dino that has been stuck in the tar for a while now.

phxs72

I can see where you are coming from in calling the game incomplete but if you go back several years prior to the existence of DLC, games didn't have much more if anything more than what you get in the basic package today.  I can remember playing DOOM with only around 10 levels and only getting maybe 15 levels (10 original and 5 new) if you waited a year and bought the extended version.  For diehards like ourselves, of course, we want every addon that the game offers.  So for us it feels like the game is incomplete without it but I don't know that it really is.  I can also see where DLC has it's use beyond just making money for the Devs.  If you think about it, they could just give everyone all of the DLC at release.  However, by spacing it out, they have provided themselves basically a quarterly refresening of the game to keep you interested in the series until the next game is released.  From a marketing standpoint it's genius.  Whether those releases should be free or not obviously is debateable.  But at least when put in the context of games from years gone by we are getting nearly a whole new game worth of stuff for the same price that we used to pay for an extended version of a game with only a 1/2 game worth of stuff in it.

As to Ego's point, I have to agree that they do not have an excuse for releasing games filled with bugs.  I know that my business certainly couldn't survive on such a model but apparently this has become the model within the software community.  I'd be embarassed to produce products with so many issues out the gate.  But I come from a different time, I suppose.

Im_A_Drag85

yea it's just a legal way to make more money while ultimately doing less

Its the reason I won't buy Black Ops 2 DLC.Elite premium was last DLC I bought and it was also incomplete for months after I paid for it and I bought it at least a month after it came out thinking the bugs would be worked out,I was wrong.So I apply those past feelings of DLC to new COD games probally incomplete and a waste of money.Activision is the one I think is responsible for the incomplete game not the developers with deadline and release dates each year.To sum it up DLC is not for me anymore.

Highwayman0226

An original topic!  Nice!

I take no issue with a company selling additional content to accompany a game I enjoy.  It's going to be a year til the next title comes out, it keeps the game from getting stale and gives the consumer something to look forward too.  At least we have the option to not buy it.  Would anyone want BO2 for 100 bucks with the DLC included?

Now, releasing a title that you know is unfinished with intentions of patching it later is a different story.  What happens is, they have all intentions of patching stuff, but they already have your money, so why bother?  If you want to sell DLC however, you better fix your game, right?  This is why I passed on the season pass this time around.

It depends. For responsible developers, it allows them to continue creating content for a game that may be really great, and with the continued content development, they will offer support for that game longer. I would also think that it alleviates some pressure with deadlines, so they might not try to rush as much.

But then for irresponsible developers, I'm looking at you, Infinity Ward, it allows them to just soak up money.

I think it's kind of a double-edged sword.