10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 5:09 AM by Highwayman0226 RSS

Need Serious Help With Lag Before I Just Give Up On This Game

So I've been trying to minimize my lag comp and to no avail.  About 90% of the games I play are basically impossible for me to get kills.  I'm not the best player, but I know when I should be dropping people and when I just get out-gunned.  Just earlier today I shot a guy from maybe 10 ft away and got 4 hit markers (Vector SMG).  I stopped shooting and turned because 4 markers should be dead, and I noticed he did not die so I shot him again and got two more markers.  As I was shooting him the second time he turned and killed me instantly. 

This is a CONSTANT occurrence (insta kills).  I shoot first on my screen about 80% or more of the time and lose just about every head on gunfight unless their aim is just horrible.  Then I go watch the kill cam to see I barely even shot once.  On kill cams people kill me in 3-4 shots depending on the weapon, and I would LOVE to play whatever game their playing so I could get kills like that.  Tonight with the Vector I was having to empty over half a clip per enemy and I MIGHT kill them if they weren't already shooting back.  If they start shooting forget about it I'm done.

Anyway, I've set up a static IP for my PS3, forwarded the correct ports (according to Portforward.com), wired my connection, prioritized my PS3 in my routers QoS, and even limited my bandwidth through the router and NOTHING seems to work.  My PS3 has between 50ms and 75ms ping to pretty much anywhere in the USA (I'm in the USA btw).  Normally my Internet runs 15-20 down and around 5 up, and tonight after I throttled back the bandwidth it was 5 down and .5 up.  Ping never changed though no matter how much I changed the bandwidth.  I am not a network guy so I know very little about this stuff, or even how to tell if it's working.  I cannot connect to an old modem as some people have mentioned because we have a family and I can't disconnect everyones Internet.

I'd really like to find something to fix this lag comp issue because I LOVE this game but I can't deal with the randomness of the gunfights.  It has barely anything to do with my skill, and everything to do with who's on the good side of lag as everyone knows.  Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, as I'm about to give up on this game and try to find something else entertaining.

• Re: Need Serious Help With Lag Before I Just Give Up On This Game
    bagsta69

It's the game it is NOT you or your connection. The game is so inconsistent it is difficult to get good games all the time. You just have to maximise the rare occasions the game plays well for you.

Lat night on KC (the only game type that Elite records stats for on my Elite) I had games of 18-7 8-6 14-7 11-8 7-8 38-20 and then I couldnt hit the side opf a barn. Very average below average scores but to go from that to not been able to get a kill for over 5 games (backed out because they were so bad) just frustrates me.

Im very close to giving up on the game to but i have another couple of months rehab after an operation. I keep putting in the disk hoping. Gives me a few decent games then bam, back to the lag spikes and swings and insta deaths and WTF moments.

I think they have catered for the "younger" fan base this time around so that pretty much anybody regardless of skill level will have some good games.

Cheers good luck

theroc23

Stutter is right. There is absolutely nothing that you can do on your side. There's a lot of myths out there regarding gimping your internet but that's all it is...a myth.

Out

I will agree for the most part gimping your connection is a myth

But it is not 100% myth

I found that my internet connection was a lot better than my clanmates and friends  30meg up 5 meg down and a ping of under 25 ...and that is from the east coast to the west coast

Lag was present at times and drove me crazy while playing solo, but some games were good, where i noticed little or no lag .....

But when i started partying up with my friends the game went to hell....instantly (i play very little solo, as i like just BS-ing with my friends)

I had got to the point i was ready to trade the game

Then I read a post about changing the QoS setting my router.....i tried was the guy posted......his recommendations were to low .....it made the game worse

BUT i did think about what  he said in the post........so i started asking my friends to tell me what Bandwith they showed from the options menu (then hit the select button for Info)

I was showing 3743kbps  my freinds reported readings from around 600kbps to 1100kbps ......i did an average of 8 or 9 friends and came up with the number of 850kbps ..... so i set my upload bandwith in the router to 900kbps

This made playing in a Party a lot better, i now enjoy seeing the guys sign on and us partying up

Is the LAG gone....NO but i do feel like i stand a chance in 90% of the games.......yes there are still some games that make me want to throw the controller and bust the console .....but not as many

did this help me when i play solo......a little maybe .....

I assume when i am playing solo, i am matched with players who have a simular connection ....so i should not see a big difference

But in partys it did make a BIG difference  ......so there is a little truth in the MYTH

WiFi will raise your ping the further you get from the router. Doesn't really help since the game is very inconsistant. Since you can't really tell what the host connection is like, the best way to see the inconsistancy is when you are host. You know you're host when you load into the game earlier than everyone else, and can even check the player list to see this. I've been host many times and see both advantage and disadvantage, and it really seems like it has nothing to do with lag. It feels like the game is programmed to give certain people a momentum advantage randomly. Ever notice a game wher the lag flips to the other team? I don't think it's lag.

bagsta69

Yep, seen that many times, play a game and start off doing really well then all of a sudden you cant take down your trousers nevermind the enemy.

Ive also seen it go the other way where I have had a reall bad start then all of a sudden Im ion god mode and cannot be killed.

Kind of like hey if we make sure everybody does "OK" sometimes then we may get more DLC sales.

Or am I paranoid? lol

Cheers.

I think there was a similar problem in black ops 1 as well, not nearly as bad as this one but they have completely ****** up on this one and are refusing to acknowledge there is an issue, they either dont play it online or they do and dont really know what to do about it. or they plain just dont care because they already have your money.

**** you Treyarch

**** YOU

hyper72

Im just preying that the new 1.05 patch will address the lag compensation in the game and make it playable like mw3...... This patch for me will be the big decision weather to Buy or not to buy the new DLC....

Izjar11

hyper72 wrote:

Im just preying that the new 1.05 patch will address the lag compensation in the game and make it playable like mw3...... This patch for me will be the big decision weather to Buy or not to buy the new DLC....

There is nothing they will do to modify the program that balances latency, what they have done (from reading the xbox version) is that they are modifying your searching preference to stay in your continent unless you play with the "any" search option.

This should improve connection but will not guarantee the game will be that amazing thing.

Highwayman0226

I gotta be honest, this game works better for me than MW3 every did.  Last few days it's been running pretty good for the most part on my end.  I found this strange, usually double xp weekends are double the lag.  I'm sure it's a fluke though, and I'll go back to raging tonight.

The lag comp seems broken in this game.  You are either at an advantage, or a disadvantage, and face to face encounters are rarely "fair".  It just seems crazy to me, to add all these bells and whistles on a system that is 8 years old and expect these consoles to play host.  Then again, PC version has dedicated servers, and people have the same issues there.