35 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 6:52 AM by Highwayman0226 RSS

The KSG

whytie84

I started using this weapon yesterday and below is one of the gameplays i managed with it during clan ops.

What are your guys honest thoughts about the KSG?

All i hear is how OP it is. To those crying OP, have you actually tried using it?

I have my opinons on the weapon however I will keep these to myself until I have heard what you guys think

• Re: The KSG
    monkeylord

I've gotta say the KSG isn't over powered however on the flip side it's not as hard to use or in need of the dreaded buff like a lot suggest it is. In my own humble opinion the KSG is easily the best shotgun it's OHK range may not be the same as the remi and you may not be able to slam fire like you can with the S12/M12 but the range you can pick people off from with the KSG nudges it above the other shotties.

ghamorra

I like putting the Suppressor on it. Worst part of the KSG is how easily lag can influence the weapon. Having the ability to shoot at someone 2 or 3 times before the turn around helps a lot

whytie84

Up until that game I had been using red dot & long barrel, I just unlocked the suppressor so decided to give it a go. Glad I did, may have a reduced OHK range but really helped me avoid getting swamped! And when I did get swamped, the C4 helps. Might get rid of fast hands and put scavenger on simply for the c4 re-supply.

I've found the hit detection so hit or miss with it. I'm almost tempted to put a wee vid together of my misses and show how torturous it can be to use.

Naturally, above is my best game with it for the evening, but there were some real shockers!

rlbl

I like it.  I starting using it this weeken on NT2025. At first I could not do anything with it, but then I remember (oh yeah, 1 slug).

Then I went positive (meh, useless comment).

It is my Favorite shotty (rewarding when you do get a kill, instead of spam spam spam)

BukLau101

In 1.05 3arc removed the ADS delay so this gun should be alot easier to use now.

whytie84

Isn't patch 1.05 still to come for ps3? So it will be easier to use "soon"? ;)

BukLau101

Well it will be easier for Xbox players. Anyway glad they did something about the ADS delay that was ridiculous.

whytie84

Once unlocked I put the QuickDraw grip on it. To be fair I don't see any issue with the ADS time, it's a shotgun that requires patience and accuracy and I found it perfectly useable as a black ops noob shotgun user. However I welcome the small buff.

BukLau101

ADS delay is actually the small delay between when you aimed down sights and when your bullet went straight. When you moved and then aimed down sight your bullet wouldn't go straight after a small delay. A bit hard to explain so I'll link a video with a better explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyntHjL6T9Y

whytie84

Ah I know what you mean, they did that in BO1 with snipers. Didn't realise that had been re-introduced with the KSG. So that's why I'm missing some quick snap shots. I'm gonna apportion blame in thirds.

1/3 my aim, 1/3 lag, 1/3 this new discovery of bullets not goin straight. Lmao.

BukLau101

As soon as 1.05 comes out I'm going for a gold KSG, this is a great gun because it rewards patience and good aim and I like a challenge. Props to anyone who got the KSG gold even with the B.S. ADS delay. Thankfuly Drift0r and people on the Den Kirson forums brought attention to this otherwise nobody would have realised this and lag would probably have been blamed.

Decent gameplay, but that team you were playing really were shocking. You only got shot at once in the whole game!

I tried using the KSG, but the aim delay and BS misses at point blank made me rage too hard. Also, dropshotters with the silenced PDW seemed to kill me as fast as I could

whytie84

Those guys were definitely not gifted cod players. Was tempted to get an email addy for them and fire them thru some cash to stay in the lobby ha ha.

To be fair, I got shot at twice :p once a sniper bullet whizzed past me, and also when I got the double C4 kill.

In theory I was getting shot at a third time when the guy was nailing one of my mates guardians.

I used to get flawless games on a nightly basis on mw3, but this is my first on blops2, so I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for the feedback and I feel ur pain on the pdw front.

dubhicks

Started using the KSG this weekend also. Found that I could kill very easy with it, or not at all. Of all the shot guns, definitely the most inconsistent. I had times when I could make it to the enemy spawn and easily take out every one there ADS/ or no ADS. Then, if I came up to a guy camping in a bush, could shoot them 4 times point blank and never get a hit marker? Over all a good gun though, and the OHK range makes it play more like an SMG, can win some/most medium range engagements.

ehess001

Nice vid! I've recently started using it and I'm struggling with it. You made it look easy.

Admittedly my aim isn't great, which makes or breaks you with this gun, unlike the other shotties.

What perks and attachments do you use with it? It's going to be a long hard road for me to get it gold! Lol

whytie84

Thanks, u'l be able to check via pausing the game when my class appears.

From memory I was using flak jacket, fast hands, extreme conditioning and tactical mask.

KSG had red dot and suppressor. Back up was a tac-45. And some C4.

It's a decent set up, potential changes are as follows:

Ditch greed and extreme conditioning for an extra attachment (such as QuickDraw)

Change fast hands out for scavenger for re-supply of C4.

As u'l have seen in the video, the C4 came in handy, saved my ass!!

OP? It has to be a dead accurate shot to kill them and with lagarch I find that impossible a lot of the time.

net_nginerd

This gun is insanely fun to use, IMO. Granted you'll have those wtf moments where you'll shoot a guy in the chest or face at point blank range and not even get a hit marker but that seems to happen with any gun in this game.

I spent all yesterday running with it on Nuketown and went from having 125 OHK's to getting it gold by the end of the night, almost max prestiged. Once I got it gold I had to force myself to stop using it and move on to the M1216.

Even completed the mega killer challenge with it. Love love love this gun.

Work_Hard_Play_Hard

Wow 75-9 they certainly got there arses kicked I can't believe you could be out in the open that much on that map and not be snipered.  As Ghamorra stated you certainly need a good connection for this gun to work, I did have some really good games but I had a lot of bad ones too.  Have you tried the M1216 that gun is fun to use a proper spray and pray (but you have to be close).

The comments on the ads delay may explain a few crazy misses/deaths I had, but like all guns you have to get used to them.

After getting the shotties diamond the An94 felt weird for a few games and that is one of my better guns lol.

I can't get used to the M12 for the life of me. It's just so offputting having to deal with the chambers switching every four shots. Sometimes I'll shoot 3 and forget that after the next one, the chambers will switch.

mn7_la

Nice game-play.

I started playing shotguns only this week-end - and primarily *ONLY* on NT2025. Before this I, may be, had about 50 kills total on shot-guns. And, now, I got Remington, KSG Gold - and now working on S12.

I found using both Remington & KSG a lot more fun (than getting the OHKs on S12 - that is a pain, IMO). It's always a 50/50 for me with medium-range engagements - but I have taken out some particularly unbelievable tangos at that range (especially ones with an LMG or AR).

Putting the Silencer is the smart thing to do - if you can find your way near the enemy, a silencer can usually multiply the kills - because most no one realizes they're being shot at until after they're dead (in 1 shot ).

MN

whytie84

Thanks, and good luck with the S12.

I amnt using the KSG to get gold really, been seeing it alot of late and thought i'd give it a wee try. So glad i did, first flawless game!!

Gerbera

Definitely not OP.

A lot of people who say it is are probably under some belief that every shotgun must be practically point-blank to get a OHK, regardless of what it fires, so the idea of a shotgun being able to reach out farther to OHK (or THK) them is so abnormal to them, regardless of its downsides, that it must be OP. They also highly overexaggerate its range.

SoG_Hanix_PC

Hit detection for this weapon is terrible. I am a good shot with it, but the having to shoot 2-3 rounds on target to get a single hit marker can be rather irritating at times, mix that in with lag and you've got an essentially useless weapon.

whytie84

I know what u mean, I got some horrendous clips where i fire 7 shots at the same guy and can't kill him. Yet in that game it worked out near flawless! I think it's all down to the connection really.

Good connection = good gun to use

Bad connection I tend to stay away from it

whytie84

Too right, some games i had to switch to an AR as the connection was so awful i couldnt get hitmarkers. its a beast tho on the right connection.

Highwayman0226

I haven't used this gun a whole lot, maybe 200 OHK.  It seems to have a dead zone at close range where the slug just disappears.  I've seen this happen in a local match against bots.  5 feet away aimed at a bot standing still and get nothing.  All and all, it's satisfying to get kills with.

CallOfDutyFan88

omg! stop calling every weapon op guys! damn, man up to ur deaths without blaming the gun that killed u! the ksg takes skill to go consistently go positive with it.

whytie84

Nobody in here called it OP, which is great to hear.

When I play online some team mates die by it and all i hear is "THAT KSG IS SOOOOO F'IN OP", and I agree with you, it isn't!

Read the responses before posting.

Highwayman0226

It's like saying a sniper rifle is OP because it kills you with one shot.  Um..it's supposed to.

whytie84

Lol, exactly! Ha ha

grimsley

I finally got it gold,it's not op by any means in my opinion.It's a love hate relationship with me and the ksg.when it works and you blow the enemy out of their boots with one shot it makes you happy.But when you miss,your dead.And if your lagging ,better change guns.

Highwayman0226

Grats on gold!  I'm looking forward to trying it again.  I haven't touched it since I switched to hardcore, because there isn't much point. 

It's the hardest gun to use in the game IMO.  The 870 is (was) way more forgiving.  The KSG has better range, but you better be accurate.  Even with the extended range though, it still doesn't have GREAT range.

People that cry OP, I look at it like this.  It's a pump, so it gets ONE shot, then you have to chamber another shell.  If it was automatic, or semi auto, it would be weaker, but I'd get 3 shots off on you anyway.  It's balanced, end of story.