19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 4:53 PM by Sgt-Phasma RSS

Personal thoughts to combat lag comp. Can someone confirm if they did the same?

kemicalsupreme

I am thinking about slowing down my internet speed from Time Warner Cable Road Runner from the fastest to the slowest.  Has anyone intentionally decreased speed to have lag comp in your favor?  If so, can you speak of youre experience? 

This weekend was to a point in which no gun fights were fair.  Lag comp was never in my favor.  Not one game in which the gun fights were fair.

Will decreasing my internet speed from the fastest to the slowest help improve lag comp? 

• Re: Personal thoughts to combat lag comp. Can someone confirm if they did the same?
    JBurn244

I have Time Warner/Road Runner. I used to decrease my upload speed via QoS settings in my router from 1mb to like 750kb or even down to 500kb when playing MW3. It seemed to help some there.

I've done it a couple times on BO2, but it's been hit or miss. The lag wasn't worse neccessarily, but I didn't notice any considerable, consistent improvement from doing it.

Also consider leaving upload speed alone and setting up a static IP for your Xbox and forwarding the XBL ports to it. I did that, and since then, the game has run much better for me. Still have some unplayable matches, and most of the time 3bars are don't go very well. If I can get on a 4bar (or even fluxuating between 3 and 4 bars) I'm usually in good shape. But since I made that change, I've not had consistently unbearable hit detection/lag issues. It's been very playable, with the occasional WTF moments that are to be expected. I also use the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Be sure to disable uPnP on your router if you do forward ports.

Also run a pingtest on pingtest.net and make sure you aren't showing any packet loss.

But at the end of the day, if your ping to the host isn't very good, or your ping fluxuates a lot (my TW line has some jitter) none of the above will really matter much.

• Re: Personal thoughts to combat lag comp. Can someone confirm if they did the same?

Everyone needs to just stop tinkering with these thing like QoS and lagging themselves out. Its only hurting everyone in the long run. Imagine if 10% of the gaming population was doing this... Decreasing your speed (im assuming you mean bandwidth) wont really do anything except reduce the chance of you being host. Host uses soemthing like .4Mbs of bandwidth and everyone else using a fraction of that. Its your ping that matters. From reading other posts similar to this, and you should have too, is that i learned Time Warner seems to throttle p2p. Id call them up and make sure this isnt happening first. Other than that it is ping that matter, not bandwidth. you want the best ping possible. Dont lag yourself out.

l16ht

you're actually probably better off looking in the direction of seeing if you can use a faster DNS server.  Especially with ISP's like Time Warner who have lots of customers, i guarantee you're just falling victim to traffic congestion on their network or their own DNS servers being bogged down at different times.  It's a maddening process of trying to stamp out an issue that really can't be fully solved.  Lag comp exists in pretty much every game in some form.  It's more noticable in CoD because of the nature of the network connections (P2P vs Dedicated Servers) for multiplayer and it's also a victim of its own fast paced gameplay.  Optimize, but don't throttle your bandwith. that just makes you as scummy as someone using a lag switch.

JBurn244

l16ht wrote:

Optimize, but don't throttle your bandwith. that just makes you as scummy as someone using a lag switch.

Disagree on this, unless by 'throttling' you mean intentionally streaming Netflix or downloading a torrent. But if you mean adjusting upload speed via router settings, it's his internet connection, his QoS settings. His business. No different than buying a lightning fast optic connection to get better gaming experience (which, sadly enough, on CoD is a death sentence! ). That's not the same as lag switching. Lag switching is blatant cheating that directly ruins other's gameplay. Adjusting settings that anyone has access to in their own router is not.

nothing to do with 'COD'.. try playing 'COD' 4 or 6 (MW1 & MW2) and then tell me it has anything to do with COD's system of hosting... Nonsense

maccabi

kemicalsupreme wrote:

I am thinking about slowing down my internet speed from Time Warner Cable Road Runner from the fastest to the slowest.  Has anyone intentionally decreased speed to have lag comp in your favor?  If so, can you speak of youre experience? 

This weekend was to a point in which no gun fights were fair.  Lag comp was never in my favor.  Not one game in which the gun fights were fair.

Will decreasing my internet speed from the fastest to the slowest help improve lag comp? 

what you refer to as speed is actually bandwidth, lowering that will make no difference at all unless you lower the upload bandwidth so you dont get host.

"Lag comp" to use the term everyone uses is based off of ping, altering your bandwidth will not affect ping

Restore_Hardcore

I went from 7mbps to 50 and didnt notice a thing.

phxs72

I actually had Roadrunner lite as they call it and it's definitely worse than the standard highspeed Roadrunner.  It's a bad move imo.  You'll actually see a good bit more 3 bar lobbies than you currently do.  I'd suggest doing what you can to improve your system rather than downgrading it.  If you are still using the cable modem that TW provides you might want to look into getting one made for gaming.  The standard one that they gave me worked but it was a tier down from the ones that they recommend for gaming.  I'm not saying that a new router will make all of your problems go away but it sure helped me to get some consistency.  I still get the occasional laggy game but its no where near as often as I used to.

i1cooldaddy

I dont know if others have expierieced this but the later in the night I play the more lag I have.  I live in the eastern time zone in america and when I'm playing from 1pm to 10pmish  this game runs extremely smooth most of the time, but after that is when it becomes laggy.  It gets so bad that late night play i get crushed.  I go from being one of the top players in the lobby to one of the worst.  This could be because there are a lot more of the really good players online or host/lobbies ect.  But its like this everyday.

SheSaidNo

I use all Mac computers at my house and have Fios.  I downloaded this thing:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Broadband_Tuner_1_0

No clue what it does but it seemed to help a bit.  BO2 still lags but MW3 plays perfect now.  I know there's PC versions from Fios that help with latency for high speed internet.  I'm guessing Road Runner has their own version for the PC.

I am a tech kind of guy. I like to tinker and mess with things. After my router died two days before BO2 release I went and got a new dual bad router. I had the 50/10 internet from time warner. Then I relized it was over kill... I degraded to the 20/2. It's on point. The neighbor has the 10/1. In which I have connected to and used. To be level, none of those speeds matter. All they will do is the faster the speed the more chance to be host.

Now remember this game requires NO MORE THAN 750ks speed... up or down. It's not your SPEED that is causing a problem. It's the game. Plain and simple. Don't go raising or lowering your bill for a game, if you don't need the speed then go ahead and decrease it.

Your QOS settings.. The reason people say it helps is because they get host less. In the end your ping is what matters. Not the stupid ping you get from a pingtest.net it's whatever ping you get from some random person the game chose to be host.

Now say the game chooses this person with a great connection. Then joe down the street from him starts downloading a torrent. BAM! his awesome connection just crapped out, and everyone is going to suffer.

Lag Comp is required to play online in ANY game.... Its always be around but now they are tweaking it and messing it up. All that needs to be done is a better host selection process, and the lag comp neeeds to be pulled back a lot... I would reather sit in the lobby longer for a great game than the quick selections we have now.

Just Download Big Files on Pirate bay wile you play and you will be amazed at how much lag comp will be in your favor. I have tested this theory out personally and actually took it a step further. I called my ISP and asked them for 2 hours if they could lower my internet from the highest plan to the lowest plan. and tested this out for 2 hours just playing game after game and. Having Higher ping compared to the lower ping on better internet! It works!!!