1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 5:41 PM by HotDogRodeo Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
  • 40. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    NoLifeKing29

uh its proven? Where is it proven the YT community affects sales?

• 41. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    DR65DR

Specious argument. You're being paid by one service to promote another. That's like me asking Ford why they don't pay me to drive their car around town, advertising it.

• 42. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    maccabi

HotDogRodeo wrote:

If all the top commentators on YouTube boycotted COD and played only BF3 fro example, you would see a sales dip for BO2. It is proven.

They did , Ea gave/paid aload of top youtubers to play and promote bf3, it failed.

But with respect and as others have said imo youtube is one of the worst things that has happened to cod or most online games for that matter.

its resulted in an explosion of glitches , idiot sheep fanbois of youtubers hanging off their idols every word and following their class sets up and play styles,

and caused so much confudion and misnformation to be spread.

yes there are youtubers who break that mold, rubevidz or xboxahoy being the first ones off the top of my head for example but the most part meh

• 43. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    SitRepPro

I think cod247 allows people to post their footage.

• 44. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    jeepchick

I moved this to the Website Feedback/Suggestions sub-forum for you.

Regarding forum policies, you need to contact Foxhound-Pro with your suggestion. Details here: http://community.callofduty.com/message/413354064#413354064

• 45. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    phxs72

I don't have an issue with Youtube commentators on Youtube but I don't see a draw for Activision to allow them to post on their forum.  Commentators come in a wide variety of styles.  Some of them purposely pick controversial topics strictly to induce furvor for increased view count.  This may been fine for Youtube which has a rather elaborate reporting system to capture and remove discussions that they deem would cause them legal trouble down the road.  Activision could implement such a system if they chose to do so but where is the gain for them.  They wouldn't be getting payments for the advertising that accompanies most Youtube videos and they already are getting the free advertising without having to put in place additional resources to control that advertising.  I understand why a commentator would like to be able to post on the forum as it is a good source for the general type of audience that you are looking for but there is no upside in it for Activision.  In business it's never a good idea to implement something where there is no upside benefit but there is the potential for downside.

• 47. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    Foxhound-Pro

Gave the thread a read.

HotDogRodeo, you seem to not understand our forum's policies or who we moderators even are.

1. We have policies which allow YouTube content. (YouTube & Streaming Guidelines)
      2. We're not developers or marketing members of Activision.

That stated, I personally think you did a terrible job at discussing this topic and the request. You apparently opened up by calling us Nazis and you even went so far as to insult someone based on their name. I watched you defend YouTube from generalizations and found logical discussion, but I'm going to throw you into a generalization right now. You acted arrogant, disrespectful, and seem ignorant of or simply choose to disregard our rules. You're acting like the YouTube members our forum has come to dislike. Clean that up please.

Here are my views on why I would not include a YouTube sub-forum.

• YouTube users are competitive for views and subscriptions.
        • This would naturally result in spam.
        • This would create conflict as users criticize eachother's videos.
        • This would drown out "normal" YouTube participation.

• Many YouTube users have a secondary agenda.
        • Users that are "partnered" with other groups are paid per view.
          • They come here to farm for views to receive money.
          • The tactics for above are unsavory and deceitful.
        • Users come here to "build" their following.
          • These users have little interest in our forum. (Like those farming for the money.)
          • These users beg for subs, comments and views.

• This would be a waste of both our time and your time.
        • Like the clan section it would be a mosh pit and chaotic. (Something we're looking at.)
        • Moderation spent on the first two bullet points is wasted effort.
          • Why take time to moderate a sub-forum like that when we can take time to monitor our core platforms and core features.

We are revising our YouTube guidelines. They're a bit more relaxed and I'll happily show them here once I've made some edits.

I'll also take this time to state that some of our users are much more strict than we are. Taking our rules and applying them to contact that we find ok.

I'm off to make some edits.

Edit: I also want to include that YouTube has definitely helped to promote games, but that does not mean that our forum owes anything to YouTube.

• 49. Re: Why wouldn't the forum of your product support YouTube commentators promoting your product?
    Foxhound-Pro

This is what we've worked on. It's a bit more wordy and hopefully outlines things much better.

Hello Community,

We recognize and understand the importance of multimedia on our forums. Below you will find the revised guidelines for a few of the most common ways that our past users have deployed their content. We'll do our best to communicate our expectations here.

We can and will enforce this document as we do the Code of Conduct and the Terms of Use. However, it will not conflict with either of those two documents.

Please keep the below in mind as you post and understand that we have the right to remove or edit anything at our sole discretion.

Important General Information

Spamming of any sense in regards to multimedia content will result in a posting suspension and the removal of all of your content. The length of the suspension is at our discretion.(Spamming includes asking our forum for subscriptions or follows.)

Our community reserves the right to dislike provided content within reason. Reports against our community for justified criticism will result in the removal of your thread.

Posted videos are subject to our Community Guidelines, Code of Conduct and Terms of Use.

Thread Type Guidelines

Discussion Pieces

We have heavily outlined that our community is of the typed discussion format. Thus we would like you to follow the grain and present the content of the video as a summary below the link or the embed.

Yes, we understand that some videos are long and some concepts need to be paraphrased. We're okay with this, but a six minute video is not effectively described in two sentences. If you care about the content you're bringing, then you will meet this expectation. It is a simple request.

Yes, this includes commentaries too.

Showcase / Streaming Pieces

Similar to the above, we would like a description of your content. What you did or what you intend to do is generally what we're looking for. Engage our community and see if anyone else has done this or will do this as well. You need to put some effort into this written portion, but it should be a piece of cake.

Quality / Feedback Inquiries

These were at one point standalone and allowed to exist, but were exploited to gain views. Thus we have retracted our initial position of allowing them and ask for you to consider the following. - Please conduct this along with your presentation of the above two situations. This allows for a deeper field of discussion along side any points or challenges you bring with the video. Videos that lack a description and simply ask for feedback will be removed.

Posting Guidelines

One thread is all you need per video. If you're going to create a series, please create a single thread for this series and update as you go along.

Posting in the correct sub-forum is important. If the video is related to a particular platform, then post it in the platform's sub-forum. If you need to reach a general audience, then the index or general sections will do quite well.

Bumping your video or creating artificial discussion, yes we will find out either immediately or over time, is discouraged. This can and will lead to action taken against your thread and forum account.

Moderator Advice

I've been around since CharlieOscarDelta. I can tell you that our forum is saturated with people who have watched trickshots, large killfeeds and cross-map projectiles netting awesome kills. So don't expect an amazing response when you post your content. Unless you've got something original, the math is against your favor for people who will want to watch it. Our community will however offer you tips, advice, and discussion on how to better your progress or the ideas you present in your videos. We encourage you to seek this from us. You need only remain respectful and humble to gather positive and civil discussion.