48 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 11:01 AM by YO_MOM_IS_NEXT RSS

Poor players = More fun?

Izjar11

COD,

I just read a thread where the OP states that playing against poor lower level players is a good thing by resetting his stats.

Nothing wrong with this, but by question to this community is this:

Do you find your self frustrated / annoyed playing the seasoned players (good players / higher SPM)?

My answers would be this:

Playing vs anyone who is lower level or easy is never a challenge to me, making the game boring.

• Re: Poor players = More fun?
    TheBeastlyDude

"It's only fun if I can show everyone how Beast I am"

Honestly, it just shows how sad our world around us is turning. No one wants to have to work to become the best and they just expect everything to be on equal ground. Its why Lag Comp is the way it is. Its why deathstreaks were introduced. Its why there is no host advantage.

gambit1969

Playing with poor/lower ranked players can have its disadvantages, especially when they are on your team and because you are prestige 3-4-5-6-7 or whatever, they decide to start following you around constantly getting in the way or being so close behind you that you can't duck in and out of cover.

cynicaldriver

Simple answer? No.

Good players make me learn how to get better. I didn't go from 0.73 KD to 1.03 KD by playing less skilled players... I made that progress BECAUSE of the people who were killing me all the time. I learned new ways to take them out, new flanking routes, better ways to snipe, better perk combinations, ways to read the enemy team...

I LIKE playing against more experienced players. If my KD drops back to 0.7x while I learn to tackle the "next level of player" then so be it! I'd rather havethe challenge. I know that eventually I'll adapt and bring the KD up naturally... By having fun!

The problem is (and I know this is not the subject of the thread) that in this game, I am not just fighting better players, I am fighting a broken game as well. Maybe I should go back to BF3? I wonder what kind of performance I would have there now.

Izjar11

cynicaldriver wrote:

Simple answer? No.

Good players make me learn how to get better. I didn't go from 0.73 KD to 1.03 KD by playing less skilled players... I made that progress BECAUSE of the people who were killing me all the time. I learned new ways to take them out, new flanking routes, better ways to snipe, better perk combinations, ways to read the enemy team...

I LIKE playing against more experienced players. If my KD drops back to 0.7x while I learn to tackle the "next level of player" then so be it! I'd rather havethe challenge. I know that eventually I'll adapt and bring the KD up naturally... By having fun!

The problem is (and I know this is not the subject of the thread) that in this game, I am not just fighting better players, I am fighting a broken game as well. Maybe I should go back to BF3? I wonder what kind of performance I would have there now.

Good response,

You are not alone when you speak of fighting to things, one better players and two the game itself. We are all dealing with that.

As you, I have fun getting someone to shot me back, someone who try's to outwit me its how I myself learn and get better.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP.

The best rounds for me are the ones I win that I thought I was going to lose and dug in against skilled players to come back and win. Challenging rounds. You just dont get that noob herding.

Blowouts are yawners. Sure great for stat padding but fun? Not so much.

Do I enjoy the occasional flogging of an enemy, sure I do but I would not tweak the scales just to give me those less skillled players on a platter. Seems kinda like boosting to me...Meh.

gambit1969

True, its a good feeling when you start off poorly and go negative but then pull it out in the second half of the game..

ColdChilln88

I will never ever reset my stats in any cod game. I worked at all the unlocks and challenges and I want to keep them. You learn and get better as you progress thru the levels and in turn ur stats go up and down and hopefully progressively get better. I would rather have the fun of trying different guns and setups and finding my best options while getting better in the process. I would rather grind to get my stats up than just restart and use the same weapon over and over just to have a good kd.

my problem the last few days is i start of Awesome then in the second round i end up getting smashed back to an even kd! hahaha

Izjar11

Right,

I found someone else's thread very interesting when it came to resetting and playing vs low level players to be better!

Its better because they do not know better.

TheePamino

This, only I couldn't care how impressive the enemey's stats are - I just appreciate a hard-fought encounter.

There have been numerous occasions whereby I have browsed everyone's statistics via Lobby Leaderboard and thought to myself: 'This should be straightforward', only to be pushed to my limits. The best matches, I find, are the ones which ebb-and-flow; no side is ever really on top, while victory goes right down to the wire.

Playing 'n00bs' consistently would be dull and tedious. Every now and again it can be very good for morale, though, provided you don't have a mare. And this coming from someone who prides himself on his stats, but certainly not to the point where I'd sacrifice the element of enjoyment.

the_eon

iwhat would resetting your stats matter when there is no skill bas

ed matchmaking?

Izjar11

When you begin the game (stats reset or new account) you are pitted against similar level players. Skill or SPM matchmaking happens, I am pitted against players that range from 140SPM and up in TDM.

merce

Funning this is Stats dont mean **** any longer thiers so many fake Master perstige high K/Ds and evrything else in thier combate record is a fake , MW3 is a Better Game and thats place im staying at

cynicaldriver

There IS skill-based matchmaking... It's just secondary to connection (supposedly.)

Take a look in the lobby leaderboards, you'll find that most of th other players have a similar spm to yourself. This game has chosen to use SPM as the "end-game" stat, so that's how you determine what kind of players you'll be up against.

People who mostly play TDM will have lower SPMs than peple who play objective modes. That's just how it works. So, if you go on a rampage in Domination and raise your SPM by a hundred points, you'll find yourself playing some VERY GOOD players in TDM.

I won't debate whether this system is good or bad, but it is what we have.

Connection (usually more based on region than quality)

SPM

All other stats

In that order. At least, this is what I have noticed.

InstantOG

It's always fun playing low levels because it's fun getting high Score streaks, plus they are the people who relieve the stress that is built up playing against good players.

Izjar11

InstantOG wrote:

It's always fun playing low levels because it's fun getting high Score streaks, plus they are the people who relieve the stress that is built up playing against good players.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that either, but resetting your stats? Hmmm I wouldn't.

cynicaldriver

Izjar11 wrote:

InstantOG wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that either, but resetting your stats? Hmmm I wouldn't.

Yeah, I have to agree... I like when I get those "beast-mode" games (had one on Turbine where I went 25/4 using the Scar-H, and another on Drone where I went 22/1 using only the Five-Seven pistol.) Those matches don't make me a better player though. They just offer a nice break from frustration.

Sure, some of the reason I had those matches was because of the way I play those particular maps, but it was mostly that I was matched up with some inexperienced players. I will give them credit though, they never accused me of cheating and (after the Drone match) one of them actually said "Nice match dude" in the lobby. I simply said "Thanks, it'll probably never happen again" which got some laughs.

They brought their game up in the next match and while I went positive still, they learned from what i did and defended themselves better... I enjoy that, because it reminds me that maybe they were getting cheated in that match, like I have been so many times, and that they can learn to adapt to me, which means I have to constantly evolve as a player... Even against "noobs," lol.

Resetting stats to make it so those kinds of matches happen more often just seems counter-intuitive to me, and I can't imagine losing my 6 gold weapons.

no,i signed up to play call of duty,inot gamebattles,i want a mixture ,not just total try hards every game.comprende.lets see how much fun you would have playing in lobbies with the lowest spm is 420 all night,not very much il tell you,i have a 600 spm and i just wish i didnt,now i reset its at 520 and ive toned down a bit i just cant win,no other cod had it and what makes you thimk bad players will get better playing bad players

Izjar11

no,i signed up to play call of duty,inot gamebattles,i want a mixture ,not just total try hards every game.comprende.lets see how much fun you would have playing in lobbies with the lowest spm is 420 all night,not very much il tell you,i have a 600 spm and i just wish i didnt,now i reset its at 520 and ive toned down a bit i just cant win,no other cod had it and what makes you thimk bad players will get better playing bad players

Try hards is one of those words that this community likes to use for no particular reason, but whats the alternative to trying hard? Die easy?

How you managed a 600 spm sounds like you might be one of these "tryhards" and your pitted against those that fight at similar levels. Obviously not based on your response.

I do find amusement going against high level players, they challenge me. They take my game to another level (this is me).

like i said it wont bother you as you probably dont play against these players 80%of the time.and nobody thinks your a hero for wanting to play good players ,il play you make you,show you how it feels to get shafted properly then you might just see where i come from,

thing is bad players will stay bad and good players will stay good

Evo1883 wrote:

like i said it wont bother you as you probably dont play against these players 80%of the time.and nobody thinks your a hero for wanting to play good players ,il play you make you,show you how it feels to get shafted properly then you might just see where i come from,

thing is bad players will stay bad and good players will stay good

From my experience most people who have high SPM are not lone-wolves, but people who are in clans who help them out. You flaunt your SPM like it's something that you achieved alone, however most people know that's BS.

If you've gone through leveling the guns, solo, in ground war, and are trying to get diamond camos on a bunch of different classes you're not going to have a high SPM.  That's just life.

If you just play with SMGs and are run-n-gunner who has a well oiled machine of a clan supporting you, and everyone is on objectives and camping every outlet of the map and taking care of all the scorestreaks, yah you're probably going to have a higher SPM.

But what fun is that?

I don't really care what SPM someone has, I know that I earned mine by myself, and didn't piggyback on the skill of others. =)   I also had fun along the way, learning all the different weapon systems.

mn7_la

Let me get this.

You have a 600 SPM - and you don't like playing "try-hards" with the lowest SPM of 420.

And, for some strange reason you think others (like me, for example, with sub-200 SPM) we *LIKE TO* play with/against 600 SPM. Strange.

Here's a simple question: If you don't like playing with 420 SPM (when you have 600 SPM) - why do you imagine that a 200 SPM player will love playing against 600 SPM?

If I were matched up against you - I'll simply leave that game. And if I constantly get matched up against the likes of you - I will constantly leave those matches. I play to enjoy - and not to become a fodder to your K9 or Swarm streak - so, no thanks!.

MN

so in cod4,5,mw2 black ops you left games alot then because those games never had this system ,as i said bad players will stay bad

mn7_la

I didn't play COD 4, 5, MW2. After more than a decade away from gaming I returned just in 2011. My online FPS MP "first-ever" was MW3.

I didn't have to leave too many games on MW3 - mainly because,

a. There was HC - DOM

b. Assassin would work - especially when the enemy UAV was in & I was defending one of the flags (usually B, sometimes A or C).

And - thank you - for classifying anyone as good or bad. That's your opinion - and you are entitled to it. I have an opinion of you too - unfortunately, I don't think I will be sharing it on this forum.

MN

grow up and stop being proper,you think im a prick big deal so what

mn7_la

Evo1883:

So, in your opinion - using vulgar language on an internet forum is somehow the "grown-up" thing to do.

Unfortunately, we don't share the similar ideas of what a "grown-up" person is/should be.

If being decent is childish, I'd prefer being a zygote.

MN

no you are being false like most other people do on internet forums pal,and dont make out you dont swear in real life you moronic robot,i do you do we all do .point stands its not an issue for you because you play against bad players .the game is getting boring fast because its all one way traffic ,no variety like previous titles ,i want to play a mix of players

mn7_la

Oh, this just gets more ________ than I imagined.

Evo1883:

a. "no you are being false like most other people do on internet forums pal" - Being false? I have not expressed any facts at all - all I've done is presented my opinions. Are you claiming to know me better than myself - and hence you are able to determine that the opinions I've expressed are false? OR - is it related to name-calling - if yes, point-b below.

b. "and dont make out you dont swear in real life you moronic robot,i do you do we all do" - Unfortunately, for you, I'm not a person born & raised in the USA (or in any of the progressive European nations). I'm born & raised in Chennai (near a ghetto/slum called Kasimedu) - it's in INDIA. And, again, unfortunately for you - IRL - I don't use cuss-words (neither in English - nor in my native languages). Back in college - may be a bit - but that was more than a decade ago. And even then - not to strangers that I may meet on the streets. Only to friends - and those with whom I have a good understanding.

c. "point stands its not an issue for you because you play against bad players " Again - you can take your opinion of which player is good or bad and ______ (since you're the expert - I'm sure you can fill up that blank much better than I can even imagine).

d. "no variety like previous titles ,i want to play a mix of players" - I have a completely different experience with BO2. Unlike in previous one (MW3) - where there'd always be one player on either teams that would go 80 kills to 4 deaths - the games on BO2 are far more balanced (lag, freeze, notwithstanding). I have been matched against players with SPM from 90 or 100 to 150 - *sometimes*. But on other times I've been matched against 350 - 400 SPM players. Either way - I quit a game *usually when it becomes unplayable for me*. I don't care if my opponent is 90 SPM or 500 SPM - if I don't enjoy a game, I quit.

e. This is like communicating to a wall: You don't like to play 420+ SPM players *because you don't have any fun". And still - you think it'll somehow be *okay* for sub-400 SPM players to play against you. How do *think* like this? Let me tell you: I don't think this way. I don't complain that I'm matched up against 400 SPM players (when my SPM is sub-200).

MN

actually if you keep playing good players then your stats should come down.

and if bad players play each other then some of their stats should rise.

this means people will play people on the same skill level after a while.

in theory any way.

mn7_la

The way I look at it:

I play the game to have some fun. To enjoy.

I don't plan on taking part on the MLG - and I don't plan on making it a career. So, why should I be matched-up against players with a much higher skill-level than me? I can understand if I'm matched against a slightly higher-skilled player (NOTE: I believe that SPM or KD or W/L have any bearing *skill* is highly questionable) - but to be matched against 1 or 2 such players every game - that's lame.

TBH - I actually like it that the current match-making - even if they deny it - to some extent always tries to match me (sub-200 SPM) with players in the range of 100 thru 350-450 SPM. I don't remember a game where someone on my lobby had 500 or 600 SPM - and I'm glad it is that way.

MN

im saying the same,playing against higher spm players is different to playing low spm players,it just harder basically,i want to have fun aswell,what was wrong with the old system,i learned and got good from getting stomped on in pub games ,why does everything in life have to be FAIR.

mn7_la

Evo1883:

You may want to skip this comment completely. It's a lengthy read. I know I would skip it

a. My response was to lzjar11. Doesn't mean you're not entitled to respond

b. We're not really saying the same. You *want to* play lower-SPM players. I don't have such a requirement.

c. *why does everything in life have to be FAIR* - exactly - why? Why do you think you should be paired against sub-400 SPM players? Why don't you taste your own medicine?

d. Don't you want to improve your game - do you want to remain stuck at 600 SPM for eternity? If you really like to improve your game - then you should play against higher-SPM players. AND - if you don't - why do you think anyone else *SHOULD BE* paired against higher-SPM players?

e. Golden Rule: Do unto others what you want them to do unto you. Don't do unto others what you don't want them to do unto you. If a 600 SPM player should be matched against sub-400 SPM players - then sub-400 SPM players must be matched against sub-200 SPM players. If sub-200 SPM palyers should be matched against 400-SPM players - then 400-SPM players must be matched against 600-SPM players.

f. SPM or any other statistic doesn't make any player "good or bad". You can express that it's what counts & that's how you define it - but at the end of the day - it's your opinion. I don't have a metric to say this is what makes a player good - but when someone goes 4 kills to 50 deaths in a match - that player on that match is definitely *bad* (irrespective of what their SPM is, KD is, WL is - given it may have been because of their internet connection, lags, freezes, etc).

On a side-note to "point f" above: No person is good or bad. Each person - from the POTUS to the Janitor in my work-place to the homeless on the traffic-lights - each individual has done good & bad deeds. They have good & bad thoughts - they have spoken good & bad words. But none of them are good or bad - nothing is black or white *EVER*. Hence, a certain gentleman once said: "Hate the sin, not the sinner" [NOTE: I'm not a born Christian - I did not convert either - before you go all nuts on me being a religious freak]

MN

cynicaldriver

Evo1883 wrote:

im saying the same,playing against higher spm players is different to playing low spm players,it just harder basically,i want to have fun aswell,what was wrong with the old system,i learned and got good from getting stomped on in pub games ,why does everything in life have to be FAIR.

The point you are missing is a rather simple one... If you find it to be less fun playing players who are close to your "skill," what makes you think it's fun for someone like myself to play against you?

I can't get better if I am in a match where there's someone on the enemy team going 50-4 and calling swarms in. neither can I have fun if I am on that player's team... Every time I go for a kill, their damn dogs and drones swoop in and steal my chance.

What makes you think you have th right to have fun at my expense? It's not about "fairness" because this world ISN'T fair... It's about allowing everyone to have the same opporunity to have fun. There's NOTHING wrong with getting matched against noobs once in a while, but when you make it so that it purposely happens (just so you can get your furry friends) then YOU are effectively reverse-boosting.

Go ahead, reset your stats. After about 7 rounds you will be right back with the "good" players and out of our hair, regardless of your prestige... Meanwhile, I'll continue to level up and unlock my golds.

No, I don't think you're a prick, I just think you're selfish.

Izjar11

mn7_la wrote:

The way I look at it:

I play the game to have some fun. To enjoy.

I don't plan on taking part on the MLG - and I don't plan on making it a career. So, why should I be matched-up against players with a much higher skill-level than me? I can understand if I'm matched against a slightly higher-skilled player (NOTE: I believe that SPM or KD or W/L have any bearing *skill* is highly questionable) - but to be matched against 1 or 2 such players every game - that's lame.

TBH - I actually like it that the current match-making - even if they deny it - to some extent always tries to match me (sub-200 SPM) with players in the range of 100 thru 350-450 SPM. I don't remember a game where someone on my lobby had 500 or 600 SPM - and I'm glad it is that way.

MN

Good response MN,

I prefer to go against players who have higher SPM than I do ( I play TDM) so when I run into them I think ~ challenge and I fight to test that score.

BTW your responses to EVO are good but he doesn't understand what your trying to tell him, leave it be.

Honestly if there were some sort of visible ranking system so you know the level of the players you're versing then I would have no problem versing the best possible players all day. But because there isn't anything visible when I do worse than I normally do I never know if it was because of me or the players I verse and maintaining a consistent score in games is difficult with the varied level of players you verse.

BukLau101

Pub stomping noobs is fun but as the saying goes too much of a good thing is a bad thing and after a while it does get very boring.

CallOfDutyFan88

i dnt care who i play to be honest, even before skill based matchmaking i still got pwned or pwned just about the same. its not about the stats, i have had ppl with terrible stats give me nightmares and i also have been a nightmare for ppl with way better stats than myself. knocking down 4+ k/ds a few points is fun to me even though im nowhere around those numbers. there is a reason why we still have to play the games right? for this reason i wish they would just dump the skill based matchmaking and put all matchmaking resorces towards making sure we are playing under the best connections possible everytime we play instead of making k/d and spm a factor in matchmaking.

If my teammates are horrible I hate playing against good players.  If I have a solid team, the challenge makes it more fun!

xtraflossy

I reset my stats last week, and I'm back playing with the same people I was before doing so.  -eh-

I also played with a friend of mine that just got his internet connection at his house, he has a 0.45 k/d.  I decided to equip a pistol FINALLY and ditch my launcher.  I had a BLAST for a few hours.

Was it fun then? , yes.  Would it be fun all the time?  Who knows.

At least without sbm the lobbies were sometimes easy, sometimes rage inducing and sometimes evenly matched.

KAM0916

I dont care how skilled they are I will still try to have a fun time.  P.S. I enjoy making people rage when all I do is run around w/ my dual wield Executioners and a Combat Axe.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

i'm not sure who is bad and who is not. i ususally and any decent match with a 2:1 ratio or better, however i have quite a few where i am negative for no real good reason. i can't control where i spawn nor how many pointstreaks my teammates give up to the other team.

i do know that i was in two lobbies yesterday where my whole team were all close to 2:1 while the other team were DEEP into the negative. their best player was 12-24.

something is just not right with that.

i agree with match making based on connections speeds and region. doing it by skill level, while a sound theory, just doesn't seem to be working very well. if i feel like i'm in an unfair lobby, i can leave. as long as my connection is good, i'm happy.

as for SPM, i'm sure i can pad those stats, if i needed to. i play on my own, nothing but HC KC, and have a 245SPM. i'm pretty sure i can find a way to bring that up or down as i please. so what good is it really to match me to people based on that number?

p.s. there is no such thing as "versing".