1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next 80 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 4:40 AM by adw1983 Go to original post RSS
  • 70. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues
    Ss78_

SitRepPro wrote:

maccabi wrote:

Ss78_ wrote:

That's a bit harsh. While I suffered the wrath of virgin media in the past myself they put a lot of effort into fixing their mistake during my time with them on black ops. They added the bridge mode to eliminate the superdud, sent out engineers to peoples houses to check while people were playing, adjusted their traffic shaping to fix cod traffic(albeit not quickly enough), let people try out beta firmware on the superdud that were active on the forum and had more communication on the subject than 3arc do now.

You know yourself the state of the network they use and the giant task of getting it all up to date and stable was never going to happen overnight.

yet they still have firmware issues with the new superhub that causes dropped packets. the wifi on it doesnt work well, the issue with leaving ip flooding switched on..

Yes virgin are alot better than they were, but they still are one of the worst isps for gamers

Can you recommend me a decent British ISP for gaming please.  My legally required length for VM is up and I'm long overdue cancelling it.

Before you go through the hassle of changing your isp I'd first recommend checking if your line is stable or not.

If you really want to change then ask yourself first what's my priority here, money or gaming and then when you find the answer to that check what's available first, check their forums and faq's.

When I was back in the uk and from people on xbox live, bt fibre, be and sky were the three that I'd look into myself but that might have changed and as sparky says a non isp router is what I'd recommend too.

• 71. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues
    SitRepPro

Ss78_ wrote:

Before you go through the hassle of changing your isp I'd first recommend checking if your line is stable or not.

If you really want to change then ask yourself first what's my priority here, money or gaming and then when you find the answer to that check what's available first, check their forums and faq's.

When I was back in the uk and from people on xbox live, bt fibre, be and sky were the three that I'd look into myself but that might have changed and as sparky says a non isp router is what I'd recommend too.

My priority is to get infinite Swarms and MOABs, but no.  I don't know.  If I can save money from changing and it's still just as good then that's fine by me.  Just seems a bit expensive paying £40 a month but if I get phone line stuff the line rental pushes the price up so sometimes it's not worth bothering.  BT Infinity didn't exist or wasn't fully available when I went to Virgin.  When I was on BT I had a speed of 1Mb and I was needing more bandwidth at the time but now it's less of an issue.  Last I looked at Be's prices I think the difference was neglible, so I'll keep looking.  Got a line that does 50Mb and I barely use the bandwidth.  It's like buying a high end spec PC for minor work.

• 72. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues
    Ss78_

Lol you answered your own guestion there, get rid of the cabled net and use your phone, swarm inbound all day long hahaha.

Seriously though, monitor your vm line and if there's major packet loss get them to fix it first and take it from there. If you have sky then some locations have a decent service and that'd save you money. If not the same applies for be as not everyome is happy with their service. Shop around. Vm will give you a good discount if you try to leave especially if you've monitored your line first and it's had some issues.

• 73. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues

My connection/equipment works perfectly with MW2, terrible (as host) with MW3 and horrendously in BO2 (all circumstances).

I know its the game really but if there was a chance it was my BT infinity modem and seperate router, what would one reccomend to purchase? For some reason I have a seperate router and modem (apparently "thats what I need for inifinity" according to the engineer) so I assume I could buy a router/modem all in one? Linksy, Netgear? Help appreciated.

• 74. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues
    SeraphOne

Today I have exactly the same game issues as you, i.e. connection/equipment works perfectly with MW2, terrible (as host) with MW3 and horrendously in BO2 (all circumstances).

This is using Virgin Media 50MB with the dreaded superhub....

• 75. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues
    maccabi

Sgt-Phasma wrote:

My connection/equipment works perfectly with MW2, terrible (as host) with MW3 and horrendously in BO2 (all circumstances).

I know its the game really but if there was a chance it was my BT infinity modem and seperate router, what would one reccomend to purchase? For some reason I have a seperate router and modem (apparently "thats what I need for inifinity" according to the engineer) so I assume I could buy a router/modem all in one? Linksy, Netgear? Help appreciated.

erm bt supply infinity customers with a homehub never ever heard of them giving someone a seperate router and modem

• 76. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues

i have BT infinity option 2 ... NO issues AT ALL with the equiptment they provide .

i have A grade line , no jitter , no packet loss and a ping of 17 .

set your console to port forward your xbox to xbox live in the options .

then set the console to run thought DMZ .

PLAYING  :  fair use policy of bt lines  restricts p2p usage during peek times  4pm to midnight  weekdays , 9am to midnight  on weekends .

Try not to play when others are watching movies/ downloading , it will effect your game at times.

even with top speed i notice a differance myself . hope that helps

• 77. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues
    Spawn$t@r

you have a fibre optic modem and a seperate homehub when you have fibre to the premises,  I have 100/20 fttp and have a white wallmounted (bt BT) fibre optic modem and a homehub3 connected to that.

I have no issues at all playing any other CoD game, on PC , Xbox or PS3, played a few rounds of cod4 on xbox, had loads of fun and no issues, then day before yesterday had a few rounds of mw2 , partied up with 2 mates and played all night, only 1 lobby was laggy, left that and the next one was fine, no probs, lastnight I had a couple of rounds on MW3, even got a moab and all conncetions/bullet hitreg/etc seemed fine, then a couple of freinds asked me to play black ops2.  partied up and it was awful, crappy lag, bullets not regestering, 1 shot instadeaths.. issue after issue, tried loads of new lobbies and all the same, the game is utter shite and broke.

• 78. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues

fiber from BT on exsisting phonelines requires an open reach modem , unless you have fiber to the socket .

After the modem you get the BT homehub 3 .

• 79. Re: Vonderhaar is tweeting about investigating the lag issues
    deamonomic

maccabi wrote:

biron_w wrote:

Not sure actually. I know the home hub isn't exactly fantastic but why should that matter? If that was the problem then surely they'd have trouble with the game all the time,not just when they are host?

playing normally you're sending and recieving one packet at a time on average about 15 -20 times a second

hosting your sending 11 or 17 packets for that one. add a killstreak (which is like having another player join the game) and thats even more being sent out.

it may not seem like much but the generic isp given equipment can have problems handling that much traffic constantly , you get a situation called buffer bloat where the router cant handle the amount of pakets and starts to store them , once that store is full it just discards them/

so that would esplain the "lag" when a KS gets called in... hmm never thought of it that way XD

1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next