29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 11:58 PM by Mahburg RSS

Should developers play with forum members more?

Or players in general?

Like once a week?

What Do you guys think?  It would be cool to hear, why they made some of the decisions they made strait from them....

• Re: Should developers play with forum members more?
    nicedrewishfela

This is a tough one for me.

I have played with some of the Forum Mods and they are very cool people. Just fun to play with and good to talk to. Interesting, intelligent people.

Folks like you and I would be fine playing with the devs. We'd be respectful, ask tough but fair questions. and have a discussion with them, as well as have fun playing the game.

But there are a fair few who think it is within their rights to abuse the devs because they are unhappy with elements of the game or their experience with Activision/Treyarch. It would become a b**ch and moan session, or even a period of verbal abuse.

Read a tweet from Candice (@Candyslexia) who was a Mod here and an enforcer.. not sure of her title now but an active employee of IW. She replied to a tweet from some kid who complained that he got kicked by the devs from a "Gaming with the Devs" Session of COD4. She pointed out that since he and his friend were calling her "C**T", she felt well within her rights to do so.

I think it would be fun, but I worry that it would be counterproductive in the end.

More important to me is that they communicate with the community. Make Hot Fix and Patch Notes readily available. Give us a Content Calendar for DLC. Maybe have a Dev come into the Forum once a week and discuss a pressing issue. To me, that is a more controlled environment and one in which perhaps discussion can be had.

highlandsparky

Yeah, I suppose they could have a monthly gaming night or something for those that were interested...

Although, I wouldn't think they'd fancy the trolls possibly getting a hold of their Gamertags.

I'm sure some of the more sensible individuals here possibly game with them on occasions anyway.

Yea...thats what 48 hour Gold Trials are for lmao.

But I mean, If they are on here why be so silent?

If they feel like they are called out on BS like Vohndahar feels about lag comp, why not set up a community game and squash it right there.

P.S.

Any Devs out there,  Send me a PM for a game, and a discussion.

Snipers Vs Shotguns Vs Rocket Launcher

highlandsparky

You have to separate your work and play.....I'm sure they are as tired as a lot of us are of hearing the same topics over and over......Then there's the ones that are never satisfied no matter what answer you give them.

They could just do a Q&A here, on occasions. A more controllable enviroment for them.

See the thing about that is....all it is, is just talking....If they were in a game, and a player could physically(Digitally?) show them an exploit that is TRULY hurting the game expierience,  maybe they would actually do something about it...

Maybe get some good Ideas, from fans, maybe even show fans some gratitude like an honerable mention or something.

nicedrewishfela

Its a lose/lose for them.

Your thoughts on the game may differ from others. So you expressing an idea may contradict a large portion of the community. What you as a gamer may find important may be pointless to others. One person may say the lag is terrible while another will say they have had no connection issues. One may say Quickscoping is a joke while another will say its an important feature. One may say the SMGs are overpowered while another feels they are well balanced.

How do they win? Someone is always going to be unhappy no matter what they do. They have an understanding of coding and networking that the average gamer does not. How do they explain years of training and schooling in a 10 minute match?

KoRny1

I think that Ghost is crippled, where others may think it got what it deserved. If I was talking to a developer, they of course know that I am only speaking an opinion, but I could still give them my reasoning. It's impossible to make everyone happy, but it's still up to the devs to look at the facts and make a judgment call on what needs fixing based on opinions from both sides of the argument.

It doesn't always have to be a lose lose....thats for the developer to decide.

But sometimes you have to wiegh the options....and there are obvious benifits and consequences....

Like removing Tactical insertion....The obvious retort..."But people use that for legitimate reasons"

sure...even a regular person can see that....But its obvisouly being OVER ABUSED FOR BOOSTING.

A major complaint in the community...that is doing much more harm than good....

Who would miss Tac insert so much that they quit playing?

Now ask How yourself How many people would quit because boosting.....How many people have quit from it already?

and be Honest....I mean...can the developer not see such an obvious exploit?

nicedrewishfela

They have numbers and information you don't have. They have stats on the use of these items. They have info regarding disciplinary actions...

I am not saying it isn't a good idea. What I am saying is that it isn't always productive for them. They get this a lot. All day, every day. Follow Vahn on Twitter and see how many messages he gets a day. Or MattKs. They get ideas from all over the place.

In the end, all they can do is the best they can do. They have to make tough decisions for what they feel is the best interests of the game. It's their art. Its what they do. Not everyone is going to agree with the choices they make, but in the end they have to make hard choices and not always listen to every dissenting voice.

KoRny1

Devs could easily play some matches with a few of the "forum regulars" that could be pointed out to them by the forum moderators.

Maybe a game with Devs each DLC. People who have bought it, have a chance. Zombies producers will play new zombies maps.

maccabi

NewMan wrote:

Or players in general?

Like once a week?

What Do you guys think?  It would be cool to hear, why they made some of the decisions they made strait from them....

Nearly every friday CodBlack1ce (one of the mods) runs a community games night, sometimes he has a few prizes to give out as well as he's an endless supply of swag..  there's is always a few devs  from the various studios associated with CoD who pop in as well as other well known people in the community.

Candice and Teanah (the community coordinator/manager for IW) run community nights and do game alot with the community , last night they started a new thing called throwback thursday where they played older cod games ..last night it was cod4 for example.

Oneofswords runs playing with nights as well that usually feature a few guest devs

and didnt 3arc do a gaming with devs night a few weeks back?

to keep upto date with the events that happen its a good idea to use twitter. but bear in mind theres a limited number of spots in any lobby so usually they rotate new people in every few games and the emphasis is on playing for fun, they are not to be used as another avenue to hurl fix you game! rants

If you guys especially in the uk would like a few community games nights im sure we could get something arranged with the powers that be if theres enough interest  as most of the ones i've mentioned are on usa time (usually starting around 11pm gmt )

lPikachu

You have to remember how mature the cod community is :3

wrecku

They are probably playing more on the PS3 as they have a more mature audience there. No squeaky little kids.

parnezzi

and have them personally experience the problems with this game? lol good luck with that

I don't think they read forums.  That's for old people.

All the hip people use twitter, preferably with a macbook at starbucks.  That way you can keep up with what Kanye West thinks about important life altering events like mis-matched socks while attempting to communicate about the game.

redx165

I don't know. One of my favorite games to play with developers was Red Dead Redemption. Maybe cause Rockstar treated each system with respect unlike Treyarch/Infinity Ward which only cares for Xbox 360. I really wouldn't care to play with them but I do think if others want than they should play with forum members more.

~THE NOOB KILLER