25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 8:21 AM by cranium2001 RSS

TV vs Monitor

Steve2589

What do you prefer to play Black Ops 2 on with the 360 a larger HD TV screen being sat a bit further away or a smaller HD monitor being sat quite a bit closer (like you would play PC games). I currently play on a 37" TV which is on a wall and I'm thinking I'd be better off playing with a PC monitor instead. I was thinking of buying a new 27" monitor for my PC and was thinking I could use that for my Xbox as well. Maybe buy a KVM switch and link the two to it

• Re: TV vs Monitor
    smokesdope

Monitor all the way!! I got one just before Xmas and it excellent ! Better colours ,sharper picture and the one I got only has 2ms input lag. My game has improved slightly since I got it :) monitor I got was a ASUS 28"

cranium2001

I tried an Asus 24" gaming monitor and sent it back. I ended up with a Sony ps3 display (which I'm very happy with). As far as regular televisions go I really want another 32" 1080p. I'm just not able to find anything that has really blown me away yet. I'll stick with the Sony for now.

23" TFT 2ms.

I play on the xbox,so that I may enjoy laying back in my couch and playing a game.  If I wanted to sit at a desk looking at a monitor, I would switch to playing black ops 2 on a computer(but would play counter strike or something else).

Plus once you have seen the game play on my tv there is nothing else like it

randomhero204

An hd 20" monitor can look just as good bud.

The preference in size and sitting position is to help your game. The preferably doesn't have to work as hard to see guys in the corner of the screen and response time helps give you milliseconds of advantage when encountering enemies.

It's what pro gamers use and your favourite youtuber/streamers.

There is a legitimate difference and advantage.

Apparently didnt read much of my post if want to hard core game, it is not going to be on a console!

When I want to sit back and enjoy a game from my big screen, I play xbox. 

I used to play counterstrike competitively and just laugh at anyone that thinks console gaming is truly a competitive sport!

SitRepPro

Foxman350 wrote:

I used to play counterstrike competitively and just laugh at anyone that thinks console gaming is truly a competitive sport!

Sitting on your backside playing video games is not a sport, regardless of which platform you're on.

SitRepPro

Foxman350 wrote:

You never know they are trying : http://kotaku.com/5932859/the-case-for-video-games-as-an-olympic-sporthttp://

Squash isn't an Olympic sport (though I think it should be).  Karate isn't an Olympic sport until Rio comes along I think so I wouldn't overly rely on activities they have.  The Olympics may have broadened the definition of sport in their eyes by having shooting as one of their events, though I think the IOC view chess as a sport.  I imagine chess players view it as a game more than a sport.  It's not just shooting though.

With sport I see physical exertion being an important factor but it need not be on the extreme scale like 'strongman' events.  It's like darts, that's not a sport.  Nor is snooker, pool or 3 cushion billiards.  They're games.  Show jumping is an Olympic sport but there's more physical exertion required on the horses than the people riding them.

There's nothing wrong with being good at or being interested in a game.  The distinction between a game and sport is not distinguished on perceived 'worth' but physical fitness.  I'd rather the Olympics add existing sports and I think gaming can have their own Olympics.  I'm sure the popularity of video games need not rely on the Olympics to setup worldwide events.  Aerobics isn't a sport as far as I know but that sure can be a hard workout.

Actually funny that you mention chess, fun fact :

Dr. Robert Sapolsky states that: 

… [with] chess masters in the middle of a tournament, they are going through six to seven thousand calories a day thinking. [They are] turning on a massive physiological stress response simply with thought and doing the same thing with their bodies as if they were some baboon that’s just ripped open the stomach of their worst rival — it’s all with thought.

you want to use a monitor, it has less lag, and your eyes get less tired.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I play on a Benq RL2450HT with sub 1 frame of input lag and a 2ms response time. BO2 looks good on it and I game on the RTS preset. The preset basically makes dark areas of the map look more visible giving you a bit of an edge. I have this monitor for a month now and my monthly KD shoot up to 2.04 since i made the switch. Placebo or not, I think it gives me an advantage.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-RL2450HT-Professional-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B006HIKIP6

I use a 28" PC monitor most of the time.  I cant see as well on TV for some reason.