11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 1:33 PM by CallOfDutyFan88 RSS

SMR vs FAL

h1r0l3r

So I'm done with the gay-mond camos for the SMG's and am starting to work on AR's now. Got the M27 gold and working on the AN-94 now. My OCD requires that I also get a semi-auto AR gold as well however I'm at a bit of a loss as to which one it should be? I hear lots of peeps love the FAL however the SMR has the highest damage (supposedly) so I would assume that would be easier to work with being that it's a semi-auto. For those of you that have gotten gold FAL/SMR, which one did you prefer and why? Haven't really used either of them yet so I'd like whichever one I pick to be the "best" one.

• Re: SMR vs FAL
    phxs72

I don't have either of them gold yet but I do have both of them well on their way to it.  I'd say that it really depends on your playstyle.  The FAL is generally a 3 to 4 hit kill (at least in my hands) while the SMR is a 2 to 3 hit kill.  However, the FAL is more moble than the SMR.  Both guns work great at range shooting but the FAL has a little less recoil and fires faster.  I like both of them with select fire (unlocked at lvl 10) but I generally prefer the SMR for longer range fights and the FAL for mid range fighting.  So if you are a person that tends to be up close in your gunfights the FAL is the way to go but if you like to hang back a little then it's hard to beat the power of the SMR.

zvers

The FAL with switch and Grip is easier than the SMR. The SMR's recoil takes a bit to get used to IMO.

OP, you said you are working on the AN94? Enjoy! Had the most fun with that gun but once it's over and you want to get the other one's gold.......not so much. It spoils you!

OMFG!! You're tired of SMGs?!

The FAL is my overall gun of choice.  I'm working on diamond camo now so I can put it on realize how gay it looks and revert back to a camo that only took me 10 headshots to get.

With that said the FAL seems to shoot much cleaner than the SMR and I never needed to go full auto.

The SMR seems to bounce more and every shot takes a smidge longer to get off so I used full auto to get gold.

I think we all can agree the gun stats are misleading.

RAMBONER

I golded all of the AR's and SMGs and diamond is flat terrible to look at but I know how hard it was to acquire so I rock it on all of my guns.  God it is ugly though and way too gayish for me.  Fingers crossed that diamond will lead to some other cammo in the last blacked out slot at some point down the road.

As for the FAL and SMR I much prefer the FAL.  To me it is just a better gun.  Thats just my opinion though.  They are really not similar handling wise other then dealing high damage and being semi autos (to start).  The FAL is much better for long ranges as it has little recoil thus you can get more shots on target faster and I prefer the sites on the FAL.  The SMR has a much faster ROF if you leave it semi auto but when you put select fire on them the FAL is faster.  I suggest staying away from select fire for the SMR.  You can fire much faster by yourself.

For some reason the FAL was the easiest to gold (my first gold gun) and the SMR was one of the hardest.  I had a helluva time getting the headshots done with the SMR for some reason and I like the gun ok.

I tried the FAL when i first unlocked it and didn't care for it, but since i picked up the SMR i havent put it down. At med. to long range it is great, usually 2 shot kills. The SMR with RD, quickdrawn and stock seems to work well.  I dont recommend select fire though, it is way too slow much faster with just a quick trigger finger. I guess i should give the FAL a second chance i just love the SMR.

RAMBONER

The SMR seems like a quicker gun if that makes any sense.  It just seems to move faster which might be why a lot of people like it over the FAL.  I dont mind it I just prefer the FAL then again one of my favorite guns in MW3 was the MK14 and the FAL is very similar.. 

I never used the semi-autos really in any of the previous COD's, always prefered the 3 burst guns (M16 in BOP was my fav.). But since i tried the SMR i just love it. I actually love the SVU over the FAL. It seems everyone uses a FAL with select fire as compared to the SMR. So that was another reason i avoided it. But maybe it deserves a second chance

flameweilder8

FAL for accuracy

SMR for damage.

fLoRiDa_KrAcKeR1

Have swat gold, need fal and smr for diamond, I play HC but I also use select fire on all three of those guns, gives me more peace of mind to have full auto. I like them both actually. The fal a tad more than smr