24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 2:34 PM by xf4talitynoonx RSS

Domination Timer Needs Change

TheRedBaran

The Domination timer needs to be removed in the second round. I understand about the two rounds giving both teams the same chance by flipping the spawn (even though i prefer the old Dom setup). The second round should not have a timer and the team that wins is the one that hits 200. I hate getting thrown into games that are in the second round and have no chance of coming back for the win because the timer. If i have a couple guys in my party that are capable of coming from behind for the win give me the chance to do so. David Vanderhaar said they were debating on taking out the timer or extending the time in the second round on twitter. I havent heard anything since, but hope someone from treyarch reads this.

• Re: Domination Timer Needs Change

100% agree

I prefer the old setup as well. I actually hate the new Dom but I appreciate 3arch trying something new. I won a game today and my team was being dominated.  The timer is stupid.

superbob

They did it this way to mimic competetive CoD where usually the score is never reached. However it is unlimited there and purely time based but in pubs they did put the 200 cap.

trialstardragon

The timer is there to end the match so it does not just drag on forever or let the team that was 100 down come back in the second round with out having to care about what happened in the first round.

With out a timer no one would care about the first round or try that much because they could always get the win in the second half easier.

Having the timer and have it switch sides means no team can completely dominate the other if either team works well together. The principle behind it was based upon competitive gaming, but not well thought out for public gaming.

The idea was to drive players to fight over the flags more and make them rush more toward caping flags, then just grabbing two and setting back and defending the rest of the match, which still basically happens anyways.

The idea is sound the implementation of it is flawed.

Noob_Lyncher

Pretty much this.

TheRedBaran

I get the points you made and agree they try to make it like competitive gaming. It makes sense they keep it like this for league play only. For pub matches they need to make some tweaks. In competitive gaming its based off off of best of three where its not solely hanging on one game. In pub matches it rides on that one game you play. Domination is my groups favorite game type and was always the second most popular playlist in all cods next to TDM. They changed it to much and took out one of the best parts. Coming from a large deficit for the win. Now getting thrown into a match that has already in progress and not have a chance to come back mathematically. Also at a certain point if your up after the first round the winning team doesn't have to worry about owning flags because the timer will run out in the second round. Then domination changes to TDM because you can do the math seeing as 1 flag equals 1 point ever 5 secs. I believe people leave the game more often and your left with 2 people on the losing team. Because there is no chance of winning regardless of what you do. In competitive gaming you have a full team that will go to the finish line win loss or draw. In pub matches people will leave the game if they die 3 times in a row. There are two many variables in pub matches that don't happen in competitive gaming. If I have a team that's losing bad in the first round because three people dash and the teams are lop sided and three more join in and play because they want to win. I want the chance to come back and the people that get thrown in mid game need that chance also to try and turn the game around. Right now it's to rigid with the second round timer for pub matches and it needs to be tweaked.

ChronoZombie

I've said this before as well- there is no game type in BO2 where you have any hope of making a comeback.  Domination used to be my favorite game mode for a very long time, but now it just isn't very fun. 

The rounds are entirely unnecessary, but I can live with it.  The timer is way too short.  Many times I have been in close matches where we lost the first round but made a comeback in the second that was cut short just before we could win. 

maccabi

Actually as much as i love the rounds idea i do agree the second round issue needs to be addressed, if the other team for whatever reason get a good lead in the first round its nigh on impossible to come back due to the time left till they reach 200 points.

The game is basically won in the 1st round for the most part

Thats why it should'nt change. Both teams are aware of this and should therefore make an effort to 'go for it' in the first half. It's like a game of football team to get the first goal usually wins and thats only because they've 'gone for it' at the start.

Fortune favours the brave and the first team to start the 'domination' should reap the benefits

so what if the team that is losing after the first round leaves and 3 or 4 others get put into the game in their place? is it fair to them to get a loss because the people before them let the score get to where is was?

Teams leaving is another issue I suppose. I do get your point that its unfair for other players that join, however, that applies to a lot of other game types also. People join on the losing side all the time but you'll occassionaly join on the wining side also

maccabi

DaveW wrote:

Thats why it should'nt change. Both teams are aware of this and should therefore make an effort to 'go for it' in the first half. It's like a game of football team to get the first goal usually wins and thats only because they've 'gone for it' at the start.

Fortune favours the brave and the first team to start the 'domination' should reap the benefits

but football has two halves of equal time and not dictacted by if one team gets to x number of goals first.

as i said i like the concept of two halves just not the way its implemented as it has basically made dom a much shorter game based on one round (the triple cap award for example can only be done in the 1st half)  the 2nd round usually starts with stored scorestreaks being used by the team in the lead and isnt dom any more its basically kill whoring till you reach 200 points.

Fair point....but i like it the way it is a lot of my effort to cap flags goes into the first half of the game and when its sewn up (I don't have to then die as much to cap objectives in the second half).

I do take your point about the 'trip cap' that is a ridiculously hard acheivement as it stands. Maybe they should change that.

TheRedBaran

I also put in the effort to cap the flags the first and second round regardless of how much of a lead i have after the first round. Its flawed when you are up by so many points after the first round that your entire team could hide in the corner and let the other team trip cap the rest of the game and still have no chance to win. Its domination, not domination for the first round and TDM the second. It gets boring when the game stops being domination and could just play tdm or kill confirm then. The game turns into a short 5 min 1st round match. If your up enough after the first round then the 200 points should win you the game at the end not the the timer expiring. If you dominate the team and sew it up in the first round whats the point of the second round? Then the competition ends its all sewn up and the result is final. Takes the fun out of it

absolutely, there definitely needs to be a change to 2nd-round DOM games to at least make it POSSIBLE for a dedicated team to make a comeback...

I like the 2 rounds.  It makes the game much more more balanced because there are maps that have sides that are much better than others.  the map should not deside who wins, the teams should. 

It can also help stop spawn trapping.

But i do agree the time limit should be non existant.  the game should end when one team hits 200.

Tifosi92

I don't understand why both rounds don't end on a score limit? Round 1 ends when a team hits 100 points, Round 2 ends when a team hits 200 points. You get the best of both worlds this way, in my opinion.

And while we're at it, I'd love to see an 'extended play' playlist that offered the potential for games that are around 20-30+ minutes long with no score limit. I missed the days in CoD3 when a game of War would drag on for an hour or more until one team finally lost.

EtheMEATman

110% agree with this

EtheMEATman

110% agree with this

EtheMEATman

110% agree with this but since im here if anyone is playing domination and isnt a 12 year old or completely suck i need teamates tired of randoms on domination my name is EtheMEATman xbox360

EtheMEATman

110% agree with this but since im here if anyone is playing domination and isnt a 12 year old or completely suck i need teamates tired of randoms on domination my name is EtheMEATman xbox360

EtheMEATman

xf4talitynoonx

This would make the spawn sides unfair cause your team could get the good side with all the cover for B for 5 mins while the other team gets it till the game ends in round 2