12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 11:29 AM by Noob_Lyncher RSS

Camping vs Run + Gun: TDM

CowboySr

Since Core TDM is where the majority of players has been over all of the COD series, this is what I'd like to discuss.

Cool Story- I am old.  I attribute my good shooting skills and keen sense for survival on the amount of hours playing Rainbow 6, Black arrow, Vegas 1 +2. When you died, it was a bad thing, cause you had to sit in the lobby and watch your teammates do dumb stuff, and you couldnt communicate with them.  The maps were enormous, colorful, and you had to aim your gun, and be precise. You couldnt shoot through metal walls, your guy wasnt an olympic sprinter, there were no kill streaks.

When the COD series came out I was a huge fan. When COD4 came out I was torn from leaving Rainbow.  The engine COD runs on though was awesome and your character felt smooth when he ran. You still had to aim, and killstreaks were fun and simple. I was torn on the respawn thing as immediately you didnt care about dying as much.  There was no sense of fear that made rainbow great. Now there is SnD, and I do like it, but the bomb thing has always put me off a bit, so its not the same. There is that similar feeling though you get in SnD to rainbows games, when youre the last man standing. People are all counting on you.  Anyone that has ever played real paintball knows what this adrenaline rush feels like when you know if you get hit, youre over. 

This is my problem with the people that dont like campers. They dont understand that like in paintball, like in the rainbow series, like in SnD, there are so many of us that play this game like we are pretending we are in a realistic war. We dont want to be mindless and just run spray and pray. We like to feel that dying is bad, bullets are bad, going negative in +/- are bad for your team in TDM. 

So when I get the message from the guy that went 12-22 calling me a camper I just dont even know where to begin with them. You cant make people want to play this game in their head differently then the way they want to. We want more realism. If I want to jump around like a fairy Ill go rent assassins creed or prince of persia.   

Its always the Run n gunner that isnt very good at it, that crys camper in the end too. The best RnGuners in my clan dont cry about campers, and the best tactical shooters in my clan dont complain about RnGunners. Its just the people that get beat by those who are good at a playstyle other then the one they prefer, that cry like little brats. Im sorry, Im just tired of the posts on here crying about camping.

• Re: Camping vs Run + Gun: TDM
    Audiophile

You seem to make no mention of the fact that if everyone camped - matches would be boring and end with a 0-0 tie......camping takes no skill and is simply a cowardly way to play the game unless you are either armed with a sniper rifle or guarding / protecting an objective. In those instances it is perfectly acceptable in my opinion - but since you are talking TDM, there is no objective to protect / guard. How is a match ending 0-0 enjoyable??? As soon as you can explain how someone wins a TDM match with everyone camping, I will open my mind to your position. Camping takes skill? The only skill involved is finding that "glitch" spot where you can't be seen but can see everyone that walks by......other than that a 4 year old could do it successfully.......

superoo

I do agree,camping is o.k in the right instance,but your reply is spot on..if we all camped the game would be boring,i get anoyed when i run past a door and get killed by the guy in the corner,i dont let it get me down but lets have a one on one gunfight,alot more fun.Siting in corners is boriging for the player id get frustrated just sitting there,you need to run around to a point and play with awaerness..!!

Camping: sitting at the top of a stair case, doing nothing but waiting for someone to come up.   Involves no skill, and normally they suck so bad that they dont protect their 6!

If this is you I will call you a camper all day every day.

If say on on aftermath, in the middle where you can run back and forth over the tunnel defending both entryways, you actually run back and forth and try to protect your area, then no I wont call you a camper. 

If all you do is sit behind the corner in that same area, hoping someone runs by, then yes you are a camper

CowboySr

Enough with the hypotheticals. Never once have I heard of a game ending 0-0. The word camping is so overused that it is misinterpreted. When I run with my full 6 team, on most maps we watch choke points and patrol certain areas so that if one is to die, another fills in that void until they come back, and it also lets others know where the fire is coming from. We love to snipe and use tactical shooting and dominate most rooms we are in. There are no points given for wearing out your left thumb. I myself can run and gun with the best, but there is nothing like winning a tdm game 75-2 and hearing people complain. To us, dominating by normal sniping and covering choke points like real war tactics is what makes these games fun for us. My point is if the run and gunners who we stomp regularly dont like it, tough kittens. They are adapting to win.

There are ways to counter every type of playstyle, and if youre not good enough to even try, then Im sick of people complaining about it. 

Deal with it

TH3_IT

CowboySr wrote:

Its always the Run n gunner that isnt very good at it, that crys camper in the end too. The best RnGuners in my clan dont cry about campers, and the best tactical shooters in my clan dont complain about RnGunners. Its just the people that get beat by those who are good at a playstyle other then the one they prefer, that cry like little brats. Im sorry, Im just tired of the posts on here crying about camping.

This paragraph was suffice enough.

The only time I get bothered about 'camping' and I feel it is warranted, is for example on:

One in the Chamber----people camp in a corner and hide from the fight until they get to be one of the last 2 or 3 left standing...then they run out and start fighting/trying to get that last kill cam.

SND (which I haven't played on BOPS2 yet) when the last 2 people (enemies to each other) are on opposite sides of the maps camping until time runs out. 

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

About a week or two, I received a hate mail after playing a TDM game. More than half of my team left and it was a 6 vs 2.  We were losing but I refused to quit even though we were outnumbered. I did some corner camping as none of my classes uses a silencer. A guy on the other team asked me if all I do is camp. My GT is Super Camper, my clan tag says [CAMP] and my emblem is a tent and it says "Five Star Camper". I then replied to check out my stats. I was leading the lobby in both SPM and KD.

In my experience, most whiners are not that good in the game. They might be frustrated and passing on the blame to others is their way of letting the steam out.

Audiophile

Wow....so you corner camp and then want to brag about your K/D and W/L ratio.....if every player employed your strategy those ratios would all be 0.00 because there would be no one walking by the "hallway" or "shoke point" you are "monitoring". There is nothing "hypothetical" about this fact - if everyone camped there would be no point in playing because you would not shoot anyone! There would be no choke points because no one would be moving....how hard is that to understand? Camping serves its purpose in objective based game modes (SnD, Dom, HQ) but how about starting a TDM where EVERYBODY on BOTH teams simply finds a corner and stays out? Explain to me how the score would NOT be 0-0?

that6uy420

and your hypothetical 0-0 score wouldn't happen but once in a purple moon.  We had on Black ops 1 a team of hardcore campers... they never left their spawn.  we played for about a minute before leaving.  it was horribly boring and each of the players got a review submitted and avoided.  It's very simple to avoid them.. never see them again and be done with it. instead... we get people coming here to cry about it.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I do what it takes to get positive on any situation, even when I'm outnumbered 3:1. If that needs to take some corner camping then so be it. I don't give a crap on what people think. I do what it takes for my team to win, or for me to go positive. I can camp if needed and I can run and gun with the best. I told him to look at the KD and SPM. If you happen to look at my stats, you will not think of me as a camper.

A 0-0 game is highly unlikely and everyone knows that. The obsession of getting a kill and/or a revenge kill is too much for the vast majority of COD players. Even if it's a team of campers, there will always be some mistakes made and the score will never be 0-0. The point of TDM is to get kills and stay positive more than the other team. The method of achieving this is irrelevant and the only thing that matter is the end result.

If a team of run and gunners could not break the defense of a camping team then it's the run and gunners problem. Sadly, the majority of players whine and complain of the tactics that were used that got them outplayed.

CowboySr

Wrong. The point being made is that people are running around in this game with no cares in the world about dying.   Never have I seen a game where nobody moved. Im not talking about no movement whatsoever either. many people just miss the maps from the old CODs with choke points where you could have sniper wars.  Our group had 4 7500-0s on Village from sniping and covering choke points. We have come close to shutouts in this one but the revenge spawning in this one is beyond understandable.  Just beating randoms isnt enough. So we aim to shutout, which means you dont run around like an idiot and them have them spawn 4 feet behind you because of it.

Noob_Lyncher

Every time i've played TDM in this game, everyone was in a corner somewhere. At least in KC, you can't win the game from your tent, and getting points towards scorestreaks by collecting tags gives people incentive to move.