15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 2:15 PM by buzzsaw85 RSS

What happened to the Sentry Gun?

theshroud

For the first few prestige's I was running Sentry Gun as I noticed it was mowing the enemies down. Lately, I've been getting this thing nearly every match and it stays up for a few seconds. Either an EMP grenade or a C4...rocket, something I'm not sure but it's frustrating. I've now switched to Stealth Chopper and it seems to be doing better. Anyone else having this same issue or is it just my placement of the Sentry that's not working out?

• Re: What happened to the Sentry Gun?
    Geek3864

All the enemy has to do is throw a EMP at it and it gets knocked out

rlbl

So nothing happened to the sentry gun.

players are changing their loadouts.

Your question does not make sense... It is not an issue.. you seem to be complaining that people evolve.

theshroud

So you're saying that one EMP grenade should effectively take down a score streak? With just one tactical? If anything the EMP should shut it down long enough for you to destroy it with either a gun or an explosion. If this doesn't happen the Sentry comes back online.

And thanks for your pissy little answer.

TheBeastlyDude

Yes one EMP grenade should effectively take down a score streak. They cost the player 1 point in their loadout to have. You're not complaining that someone who used a point on a rocket can shoot down your airborn scorestreaks easily without even having to move from their spawn most of the time but if a player chases down your sentry gun and lobs an EMP grenade at it, you're upset?

They made the Sentry Gun on this game a killer when facing a team who don't have their act together but against a team that does, they will take it out easily, just like they will with UAVs, Helicopters and the like.

People just get better at countering things like that and well, that's what happens.

RAMBONER

People caught on to emp grenades.  Most people didnt use them when the game came out.  I use them on a class and in honesty they are way to powerfull.  I took out 2 sentury guns and 2 guardians with one emp grenade playing the other night.  A tactical should not be powerfull enough to take out that many streaks that easy.

Yunck

The enemy shouldn't have put all there eggs in one basket. The emp is fine. I have to get to those sentry guns and guardians to take them out with my emp. The enemy makes it easy for me once i get there not me or my emps problem.

What is emp designed to do? Fry electrical components.

I fry the gun the enemy keeps his or her score streak going they get a new one.

I have to die to get my emp back or spend another point to use scavenger when and if its available and hope i find one before the enemy gets his or her sentry gun back. Even though i can get two emps chances are I've used at least one for other reasons before i used my last one on that sentry gun.

h1r0l3r

The sentry gun is a beast unlike the MW3 variant. Initially I ran with it since it would get you at least 5-6 kills, if not more, before it was destroyed. Placement of them is pretty key but, even then, it would still manage to net you a few kills before signing out. Properly placed on Carrier, that thing would destroy the other team as they couldn't even get near it to destroy it. As it is so effective, my guess is that more people are starting to use EMP grenades rather than shock charges (don't see a lot of these anymore) or flashbangs like before. That plus things like the AGR and Guardian make it more reasonable to have EMP grenades than anything else. In MW3, EMP grenades were pretty useless since all you had were sentry guns, IMS or assault done. The sentry gun/IMS could be dealt with pretty easily in MW3 whereas the BO2 sentry gun/guardian are a little harder to take out using just your weapons. That and the fact that you should melee these things in MW3 made it a lot easier to destroy since you can't do this in BO2.

I got all excited last night when I stole some dudes care package and it was an AGR. the moment I deployed it, it lasted about 2 seconds before the enemy destroyed it with an EMP grenade.

phxs72

Some of what you are experiencing is just bad luck but like Geek said, 1 EMP grenade and it's gone.  That's why I don't run it all that often.  The Guardian is the same way.  But it takes two EMPs (or one and a clip of bullets) to take out an AGR.  The Stealth Chopper will perform better because not that many people are willing to pull out a launcher to take it down.  Generally I like to stick with the killstreaks that either can't be destroyed or are more difficult to destroy.

Izjar11

people got fed up to what you called "getting mowed down" they now know how to counter.

So nothing happened to the sentry gun.

players are changing their loadouts.

Your question does not make sense... It is not an issue.. you seem to be complaining that people evolve.

Hhaha! Made me chuckle!

I always use Sentry's, sometimes they do well, sometimes they last 10 seconds. Taking the rough with the smooth is what CoD is all about.

A lot of people switch to a class to take something out. My "anti-streak" class has Tactician with two EMP 'nades and two Black Hat with the FHJ-18. Some people even run a class like that constantly.

I can see where you're coming from though... It's happy days when the enemy won't bother doing anything to your Sentry or Chopper, but if you're having a full night of launchers and EMP grenades it gets annoying.

Gerbera

If you have a friend or two, you can use a Sentry Gun, then have 1 or 2 others put down Trophy Systems by it, lol.

that's a good point, i was gonna mention that too about the trophies!

Placement is definitely the key along with timing.  I find that putting up a sentry in a corner near a spawn point or somewhere away from the action will definitely last a lot longer and will get more kills from players not aware that it's there and they will usually spawn at the other end of the map to assure they have a much more difficult time getting back.

You can also choose to control the sentry if the action begins to move back in that direction.  And by action i'm referring to groups of mass killings.

greaTm

I just love it when people put that crap of a kill streak up, it means more points for me and my kill streaks. What i love about the emp nade is you dont have to throw it right next to something for it to do work, just close.