39 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 2:23 PM by ctrl-s RSS

Fix The Lag Yet ? People Backing out when im smashing them ? A question for the community ? What is your opinion ?

So I have played call of duty since cod 4 . Also the cod series has pretty much been whats being played on  my x box 85-90% since cod 4 came out . My k-d , win rate , and score per minute are all solid and respectable . i play tons of cod is what im saying

Black ops 2 is the best cod yet ! The pick 10 class set up is great , the scorestreak  idea was also brilliant and on and on etc. Yet black ops 2 is the worst game in the fact that i have never seen lag so bad . The Lag compensation should never favor people with the weaker connection  The people with internet that bad should never be in my lobby when im using the " best " search option . I have internet one tier below small business internet i.e. the best internet  money can buy for "home use " that isnt  considered small business internet.

My Question for the community is ..... personally when i play cod (and i mean every one including blops2) i only feel like i have bad games or my team has bad games when we suddenly " cant kill people' because of lag or bad host .i win like 70 -90 % of games me or my team plays in on any given day . I have had a 150 plus win streak that only had maybe 3-7 dashboards in it because of bad host or lag . What do i mean by bad host or lag ? This is where you insert people saying wtf i shoot the guy 7 times and dont get the kill or theres no way that i aim down sights get hit markers on a guy and still lose a gun fight , or the guy doesnt even have the right perks on to run thru claymores or bettys. these are the only games i lose or  dashboard .  when i dont experience the bad host scenario  cod feels good and crisp and my guns do what they are supposed to . i feel like the lag in this cod is out rageous and im wondering when people are getting smashed and back out is this what they are experiencing the whole cant get kills in gun fights you feel you normally win scenario ? the bad host ? i ask because in this cod i'd say 80-90% of games when me and my team are smashing people the opposing players are all backing out .and its no fun when my swarm cant get none . And the only games i dont do well in are when i have the "bad host " - "lag" im not trying to make excuses just wondering

• Re: Fix The Lag Yet ? People Backing out when im smashing them ? A question for the community ?

Thats pretty much exactly why people back out, if you arent able to take someone down due to lag, theres no point staying around.

• Re: Fix The Lag Yet ? People Backing out when im smashing them ? A question for the community ?
        deamonomic

oh please thats not the reason people back out. people back out because they are not getting their orbital or what ever and cant stand it. how do I know its not due simply to lag... because it occurs in every game ever made that supports online play. I have seen people rage quit UNO!

Adeeez100

deamonomic wrote:

oh please thats not the reason people back out. people back out because they are not getting their orbital or what ever and cant stand it. how do I know its not due simply to lag... because it occurs in every game ever made that supports online play. I have seen people rage quit UNO!

Man, you really don't pay attention to other peoples posts do you?.

I'm sure people could put up with lag in the generic sense, only this is "NOT" what a lot of people are reporting.

Your the type of person that would come crying on these forums were you to suffer said issue.

You know I remember back in the days of cod4 loosing was not such a bad thing.

When me and my friends lost we would simply stay in the lobby and slag off the other team, it was part of the whole experience.  Sometimes we would actually give them a thumbs up and say good game, well played... that sort of thing.

If I joined a game half way through and my team was losing I would stay because I was that confident in my skills that I would either be able to pull the game back, or at least when the next round starts I would make a difference.

this cod has become so random with the crap/lag issues and it really is that frustrating that it does not feel like there is any point trying to stay. 

As the other guy said above, if it was "normal lag" like you get in halo or gears or Cod4 etc... it would not be that much of a problem, but this is the most frustrating thing I have come across in any MP game.

When you are on the good side of it, it's easy to think you are just a beast at the game and everyone else just sucks.. but truth be told I think a lot of the dashboarding and leaving games is due to the frustration of lag.

my outlook on most games is that I get better by playing the people who can beat me.  I could not hit a decent level in halo until I started playing with guys that were right up there and when I played with them I knew 90% of the time I would get owned... badly, but that began to change.

When I see people owning in this game and running all those high kill streaks, I just can't take them seriously.. not that I dismiss them as being bad players, but with this game you just don't know if the other team is really that bad, or if they are just getting the lag.

Some people do leave because they are just poor loosers yes, but i am sure there are a lot who are on the receiving end of the lagcompcrap while you are on the good end of it.

deamonomic

actually sir i deal with lag every game. have in every past cod. its not going to change so, if im going to continue to play CoD might as well get used to the lag and adjust accordingly right?

i Honestly dont see this "extra" lag you guys are talking about. Im seeing the same amount of Lag BS that I see in any game. Thing is guys, These are the SAME complaints that you see come out of the wood work post EVERY cod release.

It started with the release of WaW. When WaW came out, everyone in the game ranted and raved (just like your doing) about how bad the game was. about how many problems the game had. When MW2 came out, and everyone started playing it, mere weeks after release WaW had been elevated to beloved game which most whish the could return to. MW2 had lag problems galore (imagine that) along with a host of other problems. and WaW didnt have any of those when they went back and played.

Fast forward, BO 1 release. and once again as if by clock work, the community sets in to declare that this is the worst cod of all time just like MW2 because the problems are worse now. Lag comp weapons balance camping blaw blaw bleee.

Mw3 comes out... guess what that problem that started out in WaW is now a hundred times worse. guns are horribly balanced. op weapons were obvious. theater system sucked. and so on. and everyone raved about how bad that game was. EVERYONE.

and now Bo2... where the lag comp is so horrible that it screws you every kill. SMGs according to some are sooooo OP that using any other weapon type is pointless. campers are everywhere and impossible to deal with blaw blaw bleeh.

sure each game has its defenders but if you go by these forums (the actual minority of the vast amounts of players out there) the game is getting worse and worse and worse. Honestly if you believe this to be true the abandon ship now. If the devs havent listened for the past 4 titles then i dont think they are going to.

now for you darkwitness... you have a good solid arguement which is hard to disprove. Im working on it (which is why i havent responded... im tyring to make like 30 videos at once here >.< and no not all about this crap)but it will be a little bit more time before i wave the white flag and surrender.

now again from what I have noticed, YES there is DEFINITELY a small bit of a lag problem. BUT people blame this small problem for the MAJORITY of their LEGIT deaths. Which makes it seem to them and those they rant about it too.

your comment about being on the good side of lag goes both ways. (this is why I hate this agurment because no one can win with skill anymore... nooo you are so awesome that the only way you can lose to me is due to lag comp.)

I preform well because I push my self to be the top of my team (yes i iz tryhard). I have always done so and will continue to do so... unless im become bored at which point i shall start crawling the flag again... but thats a dif story If the lag comp is getting worse and I truly am getting an advantage in it, and if it truly is any different from the last game, and the game before that and the one before that... then WHY is it that me and my friends consistently previal? If what you say is true then why is it that we have not noticed any of these problems getting better or worse from game to game?

anyways back to proof hunting (the reason its taking a while is because I am still trying to see for my self that what you said about theater is true. I dont believe theater to be an actual "recording" it would be more accurate to say its a reenactment.... have more to say on it but here is not the place. my post is long enough and im sure will attract lots of hate whilst im gone)

Yup, people back out cause the airsoft guns they run around with, its not fun being a crash test dummy because of lag.

• Re: Fix The Lag Yet ? People Backing out when im smashing them ? A question for the community ? What is your opinion ?

First, welcome to the forum. I am confused after reading that wall of text because it's all over the place with randomly inserted punctuation. Don't worry though - I'm no grammar Nazi or even an expert at it. Just mentioning it so in the future you can slow down a bit and think it through more.

As Mahburg said though, why stay if you can't kill someone due to lag? I'm sure people blame lag for everything even when that's not the case but for me I lag far to often in this game. I just wonder if the game is running terrible for people when the lag compensation isn't going against me. And if it does, how badly is it? Because my connection is excellent so I don't feel bad for them but it's a thought that's always in the back of my mind.

Edit: Just played two games and had a horrible game in which I was host but stayed but we lost. The next game I was given host again and I quit out and "Migrating Host" popped up. Treyarch needs to stop making me host as I'm sick and tired of the disadvantage.

• Re: Fix The Lag Yet ? People Backing out when im smashing them ? A question for the community ? What is your opinion ?

I hate to leave a game , and when I do this is exactly why I leave. I thought I was the only one having this problem. Hope its fixed soon.

I have had a 150 plus win streak that only had maybe 3-7 dashboards in it because of bad host or lag

There's your damn problem. One dashboard regardless of "lag" renders your "stats" worthless. Ppl are so worried about "stats". Do your "stats" get you more women and or men? Do they pay your bills? Do you get an award for any of them? Think not. Even if they did, you wouldn't get crap cause your "stats" are B.S.

Get where I'm going with this?

kemicalsupreme

Ran into a guy yesterday name Russell on Hijacked.  He has lag comp in his favor and I swear at least 2 seconds ahead of me when it came server to what I saw.  He destroyed me. Its games like that where I will dash board, but my team ended up winning the game so I stayed.  My average life span was maybe 3 seconds due to this blow hard. 

LAG COMP IS THE WORSE THING IN THIS GAME.  THE DEVELOPERS NEED TO ADDRESS THIS CONCERN FFS!  WE ARE NOT LYING BOUT IT

zingaa

I've been struggling with lag comp. since xmas and it's progressively gotten worse the last few days. Very frustrating.. I've also noticed a few games where it seems to change mid game, everything will be fine and then mid game bullets have no results, might as well be shooting spit wads

djtn

When you're on the bad side of lag comp you're forced to camp a choke point with a target finder and a weapon with a good distance stat. Only the people who get compensated get the luxury of a run and gun play style.

belly120

for me lag/lag comp rolls in cycles, recently i've been fairly balanced but last night i noted a hotfix had been done and the 80% of my matches were a total waste of my time.  whatever i did i was killed and with a free supply of defencless players the other team just spammed kill streaks. was a total joke

Audiophile

I cannot understand the need for people to "dashboard". Are stats that important to you? Are you afraid you might get kicked out of your clan if your K/D gets a little too low or you lose a few too many matches? Does it give you a sense of accomplishment to falsely believe you are SO good? Like a previous poster said - either stay in the game or simply "leave game".....when you dashboard as a host, you ruin the game for everyone else just so you can selfishly claim ridiculous winstreaks or high K/D ratios.....bogus stats do not make you a better player. You will be the first people to rage quit when you get owned in a room - and lag comp has NOTHING to do with it.

Razed88

To be honest - If I join a game I can usually tell pretty quickly how bad the connection will be as soon as I see someone walking face-first into a wall and rubber banding.

I don't mind getting owned. If there is someone with the skill to completely destroy you (and there are many) then what's the problem with them destroying you? They are few and far between. If I do get a game where a sniper is pinning the whole team down and quickscoping and I keep trying and failing to take him out, I'll congratulate their skill in the lobby after. It's the point of a social game. It opens up conversations and often it means I'l party up with a really good player and have a much better time playing Objectives. If you can't beat them join them .

I will never rage quit when loosing fairly as I'd rather get the XP. Being destroyed by people better than you is how you learn to become better.

The only time I will quit is during the following circumstances:

- I join a game and when I shoot the first enemy I see I get 8 hitboxes in a row. He then turns round thinking "oh look, somebody is shooting me" and 2-shots me with an SMG. As soon as that happens, rather than raging I will just quit back to the search and find a different lobby. It's not worth the frustration.

- I get put into a game (for example Domination), the enemy team has 100 points and the team I'm on has 5 points. In the air the enemy has a Stealth Chopper and a Swarm and there is a K9 unit too. That isn't worth it either so I back out.

I love fair fights - whether I win or not. We are all competitive though. I am competitive enough that I can't just sit in a game where everything is against me and just die over and over. It isn't worth it. It isn't fun. When a game becomes a chore it isn't worth it any more.

What do i mean by bad host or lag ? This is where you insert people saying wtf i shoot the guy 7 times and dont get the kill or theres no way that i aim down sights get hit markers on a guy and still lose a gun fight , or the guy doesnt even have the right perks on to run thru claymores or bettys. these are the only games i lose or  dashboard .  when i dont experience the bad host scenario  cod feels good and crisp and my guns do what they are supposed to . i feel like the lag in this cod is out rageous and im wondering when people are getting smashed and back out is this what they are experiencing the whole cant get kills in gun fights you feel you normally win scenario ? the bad host ? i ask because in this cod i'd say 80-90% of games when me and my team are smashing people the opposing players are all backing out .and its no fun when my swarm cant get none . And the only games i dont do well in are when i have the "bad host " - "lag" im not trying to make excuses just wondering

I think you answered your own question. People that are aware of the issue of lag usually back out. I have friends that say "wtf that guy doesnt get hurt" and "wtf i shot first", and explained the whole lag thing to them and that most matches are based on connection/luck and it all finally clicked for them. I had high hopes for this game but it bummed me out that you still die over bullshiit a lot.

Glasswalker33

I've had laggy games.  I've had games where the screen starts to 'break' and 'tear' and flashes and all sorts of weird stuff.  I've had games where the lag definitely impacted my experience.  BUT...

I've never left a game.  Even when going 7 and 45, getting sniped three steps after spawning over and over again, but I never left.

It has nothing to do with stats.  This is definitely not me saying, 'I have bad games, and I don't quit, so I'm better than you folks who do quit.  Not saying that at all.

When it starts circling around the drain and my face is red and trying my best to not scream at my television, I stop.  I slow things down.  This way when I'm getting spawn sniped because I'm running the same damn path, every time I spawn, five times in a row, thinking 'this time I'll get that damn sniper'...  Stop doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Wait before pulling the trigger.  Get a little closer in to make sure you're going to hit your mark.  Think about where the sniper's at, where you're at, and how to make sure you don't fall for the same bait again.

Every game _should_ be a learning experience.  Even if the lesson is how to get your butt handed to you and not rage about it.  That's why I don't quit.  And slowly but surely, I'm becoming a better player because of it.  (12 and 30 isn't that bad, right?  ;^) )

warzh311ion

I feel your pain on the lag issue. Was in a game the other night, last game I played, and the other team had two guys with green bars and everyone else had red. The host never changed and those guys kicked the crap out of us. I went 7-21 or something. I have been in many matches when the host never changes even though most people have red bar connections. Yet it seems that the host will change three or four times a game when everyone has full green connections.

They need to work on this.

And it is a fact that you can start off a match and be hitting everything, great connection. Half way through you get nothing but hit markers and no bullets register. The match never says it is migrating host, the connection just changes.

xmrythem

hatecase wrote:

My Question for the community is ..... personally when i play cod (and i mean every one including blops2) i only feel like i have bad games or my team has bad games when we suddenly " cant kill people' because of lag or bad host .i win like 70 -90 % of games me or my team plays in on any given day . I have had a 150 plus win streak that only had maybe 3-7 dashboards in it because of bad host or lag . What do i mean by bad host or lag ? This is where you insert people saying wtf i shoot the guy 7 times and dont get the kill or theres no way that i aim down sights get hit markers on a guy and still lose a gun fight , or the guy doesnt even have the right perks on to run thru claymores or bettys. these are the only games i lose or  dashboard .  when i dont experience the bad host scenario  cod feels good and crisp and my guns do what they are supposed to . i feel like the lag in this cod is out rageous and im wondering when people are getting smashed and back out is this what they are experiencing the whole cant get kills in gun fights you feel you normally win scenario ? the bad host ? i ask because in this cod i'd say 80-90% of games when me and my team are smashing people the opposing players are all backing out .and its no fun when my swarm cant get none . And the only games i dont do well in are when i have the "bad host " - "lag" im not trying to make excuses just wondering

Your paragraph should have been:

My Question for the community is .....Why do YOU back out?

JSlayer211

Sorry guys, try as you may, but lag comp being fixed or not will NOT solve the dashboarding problems. Be honest with yourselves atleast, stats matter to lots of people. Trying to say they don't, shouldn't, or even persuade more people to care less is futile. In any competitive environment, there will be a need amongst people to feel superior to others.

If I find that I am getting stomped in a game, I simply change my playstyle to suit the enemy and lag that I may be up against. More lag = more flanking maneuvers, moving more into cover spots, etc. The people that are tortured the most by lag are one dimensional players in most cases. They only have one playstyle and when it fails to work they rage. There is nothing in the game that cannot be overcome, lag included. Just requires patience and flexbility that a lot of people just do not have.

Does this mean I think lag comp doesn't need to be addressed? Not at all, lag comp definitely needs some TLC. Is it the reason for dashboarding? Not really, but it's a fine scapegoat for those that do.

hatecase wrote:

My Question for the community is ..... personally when i play cod (and i mean every one including blops2) i only feel like i have bad games or my team has bad games when we suddenly " cant kill people' because of lag or bad host . win like 70 -90 % of games me or my team plays in on any given day .

Claims of lag issues aside, most experienced solo players like myself know half of your team are naturally prone to leaving when up against parties. Everyone can agree that even a party of average skilled players, provided they are organised, are an extremely effective force against pub randoms. I enjoy playing against teams since they usually camp less and have more predictable herding/group movement but often random teammates cannot handle parties very well, get smashed and leave mid-game. Many times I have been on the winnning side Vs a party (tough games but the most rewarding) yet the end of match scoreboard shows my team of randoms has reshuffled with over 50% new players that hotjoined mid-way,. It's been this way in all CODs including the "lag-free" MW1 and MW2.

The flip side of this is when you get experienced party regulars that, due to the obvious  advantages they enjoy, have become overly accustomed to winning in pub matches. When they inevitably face a strong group of randoms (it just takes 2 or 3 strong randoms in any given pub team) they get pressed back and group quit, usually withing 5 minutes, screaming "lag" or messaging "cheats" on their way out.  Experienced parties are quicker to blame lag and quit games rather than admitting they are being outplayed by randoms. It's been this way in all CODs including the "lag-free" MW1 and MW2.

Of course genuine connection problems are an issue for everyone, but from my experience as a solo player the above scenarios are a common occurance as to why both random individuals and parties quit mid-game.

That's pretty much my experience with it.

I just back out of bad hosts.

Sabercrest

Lag is ruining this game. It's simply unplayable for me with things the way they are.

I have an incredibly quick internet speed, my ping is great etc. It is definitely not my interent that is the problem. I pay £50 (around $85) a month for an internet service that is quicker than 98% of the rest of the UK. I can play other FPS games without problems. CoD4 and MW2 I had no issues with lag whatsoever and I always pulled host. Black Ops was worse and MW3 had a few problems but Black Ops 2 is terrible. I pull host around 50% of the time and I'm suffering from this lag both when I'm host and when I'm not.

I've literally had it where I've turned a corner, started shooting someone in the back without missing a shot, and they turn around and kill me. On the kill cam it shows me shooting most of my bullets to the side of him. I've had it where I've been being shot at, ran around the corner and two seconds after turning the corner I'm dead. Kill cam showed I never made it round the corner. Two seconds is a huge amount of time to be lagging behind.

95% of my games are like this. The other 5% I run around in God mode and destroy everything that moves. Clearly in these games I'm on the good end of the lag. Since the game came out I've probably had at the most 5 games that have seemed fair, where I win the battles I should and lose the ones I shouldn't.

I'm a pretty good player, not the best but I can normally maintain a 1-2 KD. In MW2 my KD was ridiculously high. But with the lag this game is no fun to play at all. If it wasn't for the few games where I'm on the good end of the lag my KD would definitely be WAY under 1.

Tick7

More than any CoD of the past, this one seems heavily influenced by the host, and your ability to connect to him.

I remember in MW3 I could pull off great rounds with a 2 or 3 bar consistently, but in this game anything less than a 4 bar and I'm in trouble

Tick7 wrote:

More than any CoD of the past, this one seems heavily influenced by the host, and your ability to connect to him.

I remember in MW3 I could pull off great rounds with a 2 or 3 bar consistently, but in this game anything less than a 4 bar and I'm in trouble

I think its better this way, though it is a double edged sword. IW dev Ghandi stated that MW3 had heavier predictive interpolation implemented for helping connections that experience variance in quality/jitter during play. So if your connection bogged down due to a flucutating host (amongst other factors) you were essentially temporarily more difficult to hit. If your connection was generally of a lower quality (regardless of your bandwidth!) you would have a better experience than a consistant high quality connection. But this was an ever changing scenario pending IWs adjustments/patches.

BO2s interpolation however seems to react differently if your connection quality drops due to a fluctuating host or if your line is generally problematic. It generally feels like it favours you if your ahead of the "game time" (good quality) as opposed to connections that are lagging behind (low quality). Where you stand in regards to gametime position  will change depending on the hosts connection so host fluctuations seem to fubar you regardless of line quality until migration occurs.

It's a difficult juggling act for devs to decide which type of connection should be favoured more. To quote IWs dev:

...the smoothing of lagging players onscreen under certain circumstances is under investigation. I also expressed that tweaks to the latter code portion could result in complaints from a different segment of the playing population. I also said I believe people when they report issues with game performance on high quality ISPs. I also believe people who report issues with lower end ISPs.

The next patch should be interesting.

SmokeyCheese1

Why cant they base match making on the ping like they did in MW2? When you went to look for a match you could see the game looking for 50ms, then 75ms, ect ect until it go you into a game.

Or why couldnt they classify your connection before you even look for a match? Do what SpeedTest does and uploads and downloads a graphic intense dummy file to determine your connection rate.

That way people with awesome connections play against other people with awesome connections.

Oh I know, this would only work with dedicated servers and not host that may be 10 miles from you one time and 1000 miles away from you another time.

ctrl-s

Nuktetown or Hijacked enemy Lodestar spawn kills. F- that. Match over lol.