22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 7:18 AM by FixBlops2 RSS

Ingame Test on how much you Lag behind

Shoot your weapon and watch the mag counter while doing it, then you know how long it takes for the host to register your input.

• Re: Ingame Test on how much you Lag behind
    CowboySr

fell asleep at 1:34

CowboySr

Is there any way you could add faceplanting kittens or boobs to the video? This.....this may keep me awake.

gallp13

Vlogger is saying in effect;

1. Bullet sound occurs to local Xbox time

2. Ammo counter occurs to host time

3. Diff between 1 and 2 is lag

Q: Why is 3 true?

No speculation - facts.

He was referring to this video below (from his description). What you see on your screen is not what happens on the Host side, take a look at the ammo counter in this video.

gallp13

Huh....? Yeh I get the lag thing shown in you second vid. Which is good but a Cappo/Mac MW3 remake.

I watched the 8 min of babble in the first vid. I found his suggested method for estimating real time lag handy, if its true. My question is how do I know his hypothesis is correct so enabling one to use his method to estimate the degree of real time lag.

The validity of his lag estimation method rests on his assumption that the ammo counter is in host time. I get that sound is in local time as sound files are pulled off the local disk. If he is right, then the delta between the two times may be a way to get an approx on degree of lag with the right gear of course.

Can you sight a DEV source to confirm ammo counter is in host time?

No need to respond, unless you have DEV source of course.

cheers

gallp

Its true, try it by your own. I've tested it 5 minutes ago (Host and Non Host), when i am Host then the ammo counter reacts instantly without any delay and my bullets register 100% perfectly like MW2 Host (perfect hit detection). When i am NOT Host then the ammo counter has a delay of 200-300ms (you can feel and see it that the timer doesn't run smooth and skips the numbers).

If you don't believe me then next time when you are Host take notice of your ammo counter, then when you are not host, take notice of your ammo counter again and you will see the difference.

Your ammo counter is syncro to what the Host sees. Means when you shoot your weapon right after a match has started and it takes (for example) 500ms till your ammo counter rolls then you have 500ms delay to the host. I've seen it with my own eyes 5 minutes ago, his method works.

Jake02

So how do you tell when you are the host? I've heard that if the countdown timer starts higher than 9, like around 12 then you might be the host.

You are the first who is in the game after the loading screen. It works the same as in all other previous CoD games except MW3. As soon the loading screen is over press B (to hide the choose a class screen) and then press back/select (to show the scoreboard). If you did it fast enough and you are the only one with a green 4 bar while everyone else has a 1 red bar (they aren't in the game yet) then you are 100% Host. But if you press back/select and you see more than one green bars then you can be Host but doesn't mean you are Host. Lets say you see 3 green bars after the loading screen while everyone else is red bar, one of the three is the Host 100%.

I have heard that another wayy to test if you are lagging is watch the reload animation.

ie, how long after hitting the reload button does your character actually start the reload.

I've heard about that as well but the reload is a animation, its hard to see if you lag or not unless you capture the video and analyse it frame by frame. Ammo counter are numbers which change constantly while you shoot, its much easier to judge by numbers than a reload animation.

smokingb0b

Its only true is the ammo count animation is NOT local. Which 3arc would need to confirm.

Since they implemented server/client topology they moved a lot of animations to the client, you would need to know for a fact if the ammo count is one or not.

I call it local animation effect, I don't know what developers call it.  You can see it with nades or semtex when you throw them..if your lagging bad enough you will see the delay when the nade or semtex appears on screen.. compared to the same animation in a private (local) game.

I think the ammo count is host located to keep the theater syncron, i could be wrong but thats my guess.

I doubt Treyarch will ever confirm anything related to the netcode, its their top secret. You know, its the same people who said "Lag is just in our head" and that we have to turn off our Firewall in our Routers to improve the matchmaking.

But the problem isn't HAVING lag, since distance to host WILL have you lagging. The problem is how host is managing lag (like with things as lag compensation and such) so people get a fair game.

Ss78_

Interesting stuff, just a pity I'd need to go back to core to test it and unfortunately after nearly 2 months there's still no real communication from the devs about the problems many people have reported to justify me going back to get insulted by the core killcams again.