I haven't played BO2 in almost 2 weeks due to the unplayable form it is in for me personally, and from reading the forums and talking to friends (local and non), many other people are in the same boat. Many people have brought this up in these forums, other forums, have uploaded videos, have discussed it among their friends, and unfortunetly many (possibly the vast majority) have not voiced their experiences as they do not get onto forums and simply resell their copy or continue to suffer thinking it's normal.
There's an obvoius problem with the 'lag comp' or whatever it is. I am not educated in the field enough to know if it's just simply lag, lag comp, etc. so I will not rant as I know what the issue is, because I don't but I do know and realize there is an issue. Whether it's due to said lag, or the inclusion of Elite or Theater Mode and the recording of games I do not know. What I do know is, this issue was not an issue for me in previous COD iterations pre-Black Ops and never heard any issues from friends neither. I will list what I personally experience and from what others have described:
- Many people, including myself, and this has also been proven to be an issue in dozens of videos where players can be 'behind' other players. In some extreme cases, this can be up to 5 seconds from what they are actually seeing on their screen. Players typically describe this as "Not seeing what shows up on the Kill-Cam" or suddenly dying in a narrow corrider then the Kill-Cam showing someone was running towards them the entire time.
- This can happen whether you have full green bars or not. Even the entire lobby can have full green bars.
- It doesn't seem to affect just host either, however, it seems to affect them the most.
- The players with yellow bars are typically the ones who appear to be the most 'ahead' of everyone.
2. Spawn Kills
- In a preview of the game, you guys showed some MP gameplay in a stream with IGN. You stated that their was a new system where the spawning system would be under close supervision and that if people were dying within 3 seconds of spawning, with your system you would be able to make quick hotfixes to adjust accordingly. Not sure about everyone else, but I die within 3 seconds several times pretty much every single game. And I have not heard of any hotfixes since launch, this seems to simply be an empty promise or an outright lie.
Now I can handle the game having issues, this is completely fine and understandable. What I cannot handle nor accept is Treyarch hasn't even aknowledged there is an issue. There is many problems with that in of itself, as it shows arrogance, poor customer service or lack of, inexperience in their field, and most importantly...ignorance. To me, it's like proving the World is not flat with overwhelming evidence and they're still denying of any possibility that World is anything but flat. I'll give some personal examples along with some videos showing proof of the 'connection issues':
- I have a class set up with the Ballista with iron sights that I "Run 'N Gun" with. On several occassions I have snuck up behind campers, snipers, and AFK'ers. I've gotten so close that their body takes up the entire screen where I can see nothing more other than their body, fired shots, hit absolutely nothing. This has also happened with other guns as well but this issue is best seen with sniper rifles and shotguns. It's also when this issue is the most frustrating.
- I've also had instances of me "hardscoping", lining up perfectly on someone camping in the distance, and hit nothing but if I aim to the left or right where the center of my corsair is no longer touching them, I start getting hitboxes.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_952696&feature=iv&index=1& list=UUIPVJoHb_A5S3kcv3TJlyEg&src_vid=9nZbqixXrKM&v=9sTbiVMnDdY
- These are just a few, there's dozens more out there.
Treyarch, or members of their team, have dismissed what we've been saying, simply stating "When we play, we see no issues." which is foolish beyond belief for obvious reasons. I also read where players who were really good in previous COD's say things like:
- "For some reason I'm terrible in BLOPS2, when I use to have 2.0+k/d"
- "I'm usually good at FPS, but I suck at this game"
I also read the complete oppossite:
- "I'm usually terrible at COD, but I'm a beast at this one!"
- "I had a -1.0k/d at other CODs, but this one I'm over 2.0!"
Treyarch has even said that it's a problem on our side (IE. opening ports, router issues, internet issues, etc.) and some members of the community have even said the same things. Logically, this doesn't make sense for a few reasons:
- I've, as others, have never had these issues with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, or any other online games. Literally no other game(s).
- Most people, myself included, have open NATs or even run in their PS3 in DMZ.
There's also a lot of posts about people quitting, I have personally never seen as many rage quitters in any other game than in this one, especially specifically in the COD series. Most people don't mind losing when it's fair, as myself, but many people are eager to quit when they see an unfair advantage. This is just pointing out the differences in player behavior vs past COD's that something is different and off.
"The Dark Side":
Another thing that doesn't make sense logically according to Treyarch and some players, that it's our problem or one simply does not exist, etc. is that I've been on the other side. Where I'm ahead of everyone else and simply demolish the entire team, even when the game before with the same exact players and the same exact teams I got demolished. Most games I usually die the second I see someone and don't even see my screen get red from damage...I just die. In the games I am 'ahead' they spray everywhere around me and when I do get hit, it gets red from damage very, very slowly.
The odd thing here, is the majority of the best players or top players of the game, you know the ones that go 50+ kills and a handful of deaths almost always have a yellow bar connection. When I am on the "Dark Side" and go 'beast mode', guess what? I also have a yellow bar connection. This of course could be a coincedence, but with my experience the proof is just overwhelming that this is unlikely and that how good you do is not because of your skill level rather than the connection you have.
I had several months logged in to COD4, as well as MW2, and actually played MW1 professionally for a couple of months, I also played BLOPS2 for over 5 days of logged in time, am prestige 10 (if I remember correctly), and like driving the same car for years when something is wrong with it, you don't need to be a mechanic to understand 'something is wrong' yet the mechanic here is telling us that nothing is wrong, even when proof is thrown on the table.
I had no issues the first couple of days personally, had a well over 2.0 k/d, then roughly 90% of every game from then on I am, what I calculate, anywhere between 3-5secs behind everyone else on the other team with the exception of one to three players. The problem here, is most players "Spray 'N Pray" in this iteration, so I cannot even live long enough to make it them to kill them. Again, the problems themselves aren't what bothers me, it's the ignorance of denying that there's any possiblity that they do exist is what bothers me.
And now the DLC has been "leaked" and due out the end of this month, it infuriates me and shows without a doubt what this company is about that has already been thought by thousands of other people already.
Don't give excuses "But, my friends play and I want to play games with them...", educate your friends on their business practices, or simply find another game to play with them, talk them out of it, etc. As a "Senior" gamer, it hurts me what video game business practices have come to, but this is simply unexcusable. You guys have the power to fix this, band together, get refunds, sign petitions, take legal matter if you can or want. The voices of many in a united form can accomplish anything.
Just remember, the DLC for this game is done, and they're working on the next DLC probably as I type this instead of fixing the state of the MP that so many of us are having issues with. I know, myself, I will be getting a refund and will never purchase another game from this company under these circumstances. And no, I have not bought every COD, I never bought WaW, BLOPS, or MW3 (Even though I played them).
PS. If you say there isn't a problem, then I invite you to my personal home to play on my set up and challenge you to play as good as you do on whatever set up you play on. And I'll bet anything, that you'll do horrible due to whatever issue that is infecting the game. My PS3 is hardwired, my NAT is open, I have 20mbs/down 7mbs/up and again, have never ever had these issues with any other game and almost always have full green bars.
Thank you for your time,